• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 Official Japanese Thread - USE SPOILER TAGS (or we Kafrizzle yo ass)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
cvxfreak said:
You'll never understand because you've got the pricing all wrong. :p Have you ever actually taken a look at Bic and Yodo's prices? Bic sells the game for ¥5,380, and you can get 10% in points (8% with a CC).

Other than the occasional deal, Bic and Yodo seem to almost always sell their products at or near the suggested retail prices. Sure they are great for the selection, but you can almost always find any given product to be at least 10% cheaper in other stores especially if you are in Akihabara / Nipponbashi.

cvxfreak

Zefah said:
Other than the occasional deal, Bic and Yodo seem to almost always sell their products at or near the suggested retail prices. Sure they are great for the selection, but you can almost always find any given product to be at least 10% cheaper in other stores especially if you are in Akihabara / Nipponbashi.

This isn't true either. I've never, ever paid more than 90% at Bic or Yodobashi for a video game, and that's before point cards. Only game hardware tends to stay at MSRP. These deals aren't occasional; they're standard. The competition is stiff, so those two are always cheaper than other places like Shibuya Tsutaya. Amazon Japan is even cheaper than Yodobashi and Bic, but that's by necessity. They have to give customers a reason to wait.

You paid ¥5200 at your shop (well, ignoring your SFIV sale), while those hundreds of people paid ¥5380 and probably accumulated ¥538 worth of points for a future purchase. Unless you never buy another product that is sold at Bic/Yodo, you end up being the one that loses.

rhino4evr

can someone clear this up for me. If you play multi-player with someone do they import their own character into your game, or do they just use one of your party members? If the import their main character what happens to your party?

colinp

Banned
cvxfreak said:
This isn't true either. I've never, ever paid more than 90% at Bic or Yodobashi for a video game, and that's before point cards. Only game hardware tends to stay at MSRP. These deals aren't occasional; they're standard. The competition is stiff, so those two are always cheaper than other places like Shibuya Tsutaya. Amazon Japan is even cheaper than Yodobashi and Bic, but that's by necessity. They have to give customers a reason to wait.

You paid ¥5200 at your shop (well, ignoring your SFIV sale), while those hundreds of people paid ¥5380 and probably accumulated ¥538 worth of points for a future purchase. Unless you never buy another product that is sold at Bic/Yodo, you end up being the one that loses.

Amazon.co.jp

mutsu

Wow. I am amazed how much fan service Sugiyama has given to the music. Simply amazing. And I am only like 2 hours into the game.

Aeana

Well, here are some impressions after about an hour and a half with the game. These probably won't be very valuable to people since other people have already written stuff, but oh well.

• Very, very pretty. And very smooth. The sprites aren't as noticeable as they were in screenshots, at least to me. Once you're actually playing, they tend to blend in.
  • Perspective presents a nice median between the old overhead style and DQ8.
  • Story is already taking some unexpected twists!
    Holy crap at the scene with the train.
  • Visible enemies are not obnoxious like I feared they would be. They work kind of like Earthbound, except not nearly as aggressive. Some don't even chase after you at all.
  • Music is 100% Sugiyama so far.
  • Battles are pretty quick, though certainly not as fast as DQ4/5 DS. Still faster than 8, though.
  • Equipment no longer takes up your characters' inventory spaces. Due to that, we're back to 8 inventory spaces from 12.
  • Speaking of menus... they're kind of slow. Not DQ8 NA slow, but slower than every other one... especially the equip menu.
  • In place of party talk, there's a general outline of the story so far when you press Y.
  • As the Q&A said, barrels/pots/dressers do have contents that respawn periodically. In addition to that, there are blue chests that have random loot and they also get new contents after a while. Don't worry, red chests still seem to have set loot.
  • Difficulty is just right, as usual.
  • I'm a bit concerned about the number of monsters in battle, as I haven't fought more than three yet... will this be another FF3 DS? I hope not. :(

So far I am very pleased. I think this is going to be the real deal all-around, even with the stuff they added. Oh, and here's my character! She needs new clothes so she can stop being ugly. :\

dq9-char.jpg

Hobbun

john tv said:
That's just the starter guide. :) The real guides come out in September (there's two of them -- one for maps, story, etc., and another for items, equipment, skills, etc.).

A 600 page starter gude?

And a guide just items, equipment, skills, etc?

I certainly hope NA gets this treatment.

Aeana said:
[*]Equipment no longer takes up your characters' inventory spaces. Due to that, we're back to 8 inventory spaces from 12.

Thank you for the impressions, Aeana.

It's good they don't count equipment as part of your items, but now why couldn't they leave it at 12 slots and give us 4 more slots for storage? For however much I love DQ, it's item storage system has always been a bit clunky.

Does IX at least have a bag?

Meier

Zefah said:
Yeah, but 5200 Yen is a lot for a DS game!

The suggested retail price is 5,980 Yen which has to be one of the most highest, if not the highest price I have ever seen for a standard edition DS game.
... Aren't most DS games 4,800 yen + tax (aka 5,200)? I swear every time I've seen the price of an average DS game, that's it. I think every SE game is another thousand yen or so too beyond the typical price.

Can we at least agree that the train thing in the prologue of the story is NOT a spoiler? I mean come on, it happens 30 minutes into the game. It's like saying the king in Oblivion dies is a spoiler. The whole idea behind the game is that. Obviously the train thing is as equally important an event.

Aeana

Synth_floyd said:
Can we at least agree that the train thing in the prologue of the story is NOT a spoiler? I mean come on, it happens 30 minutes into the game. It's like saying the king in Oblivion dies is a spoiler. The whole idea behind the game is that. Obviously the train thing is as equally important an event.
No, we can't agree. That's something that they never revealed in promotional stuff, and they didn't reveal it for a reason. And I'm very glad I didn't hear about it beforehand. I would like to extend that to people who haven't played it yet, too.

Hobbun

Meier said:
Probably people who are pissed at the no multiplayer. People love to bomb Amazon with negative reviews in America AND Japan apparently.

I thought they said there would be multiplayer?

Not that it makes that bit of difference to me, I am only buying it only for the single player experience. But I could have sworn they said it would be multiplayer.

ITA84

I wanted to stay in media-blackout for this, but I simply cannot resist. Posted impressions are really good; too bad for the slower menus, but I guess it can't be helped for the equipment screen.

Aeana said:

Oh, so that's how you pronounce Aeana.

wrowa

Hobbun said:
I thought they said there would be multiplayer?

Not that it makes that bit of difference to me, I am only buying it only for the single player experience. But I could have sworn they said it would be multiplayer.
If they haven't silently eliminated the multiplayer in the last minute, DQIX features a local co-op for up to 4 players.

I hope Meier confuses "no multiplayer" with "no online"...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Meier said:
Probably people who are pissed at the no multiplayer. People love to bomb Amazon with negative reviews in America AND Japan apparently.

Nah. In Japan most people would lament the addition of multiplayer to a Dragon Quest game. I skimmed through some of those "reviews" and it looks like most people giving it negative feedback are saying that it just doesn't feel like Dragon Quest or doesn't live up to other titles in the series. FFXII got very similar treatment with many people in Japan for being so different. Dragon Quest was always the series that never changed no matter what and now it finally has taken a bit of a different direction so obviously there are going to be a lot of people who get angry. I still haven't played the game yet (was still charging my DS) so I can't comment, though.

I did enjoy one comment that said "After White Knight Chronicles and now this, I have to say that Level 5 is really living up to their name [as a low level developer]!"

Honestly, I have really disliked most Level 5's stuff other than Dragon Quest 8 and I didn't know they were the developers for this until I saw the above comment and checked the box to make sure, so I am a bit worried now...

Aeana

Zefah said:
Honestly, I have really disliked most Level 5's stuff other than Dragon Quest 8 and I didn't know they were the developers for this until I saw the above comment and checked the box to make sure, so I am a bit worried now...
It doesn't matter who the developer of a Dragon Quest game is, because they're never the game or scenario designers. With Dragon Quest 8 and 9, Level-5 is able to do what they're good at (graphics and programming), while leaving everything they're poor at (game design, scenario, music) to more capable people.

Meier

wrowa said:
If they haven't silently eliminated the multiplayer in the last minute, DQIX features a local co-op for up to 4 players.

I hope Meier confuses "no multiplayer" with "no online"...
I actually didn't even mean it at all. :lol I meant the only 1 save so it can't be played by multiple players. I am sure there are a lot of people complaining over that.

Wow, Level 5 really outdid themselves, and the music is amazing too. Lately in number 8 and this one Sugiyama's music has had hints of Ennio Morricone's style in it

I'm sure I'm not the only one who made a Super Saiyan character.

I need some help though, what do I do after I get to the big ass tree?

bluemax

Banned
Aeana said:
Well, here are some impressions after about an hour and a half with the game. These probably won't be very valuable to people since other people have already written stuff, but oh well.

• Visible enemies are not obnoxious like I feared they would be. They work kind of like Earthbound, except not nearly as aggressive. Some don't even chase after you at all.
  • I'm a bit concerned about the number of monsters in battle, as I haven't fought more than three yet... will this be another FF3 DS? I hope not. :(

They get more aggressive, I've had enemies chase me around when I entered a new area but as your level increases they taper off and stop following you. Still I find that I don't feel like I'm getting attacked more than I would like, especially in dungeons.

Yeah 3 is the most I've seen so far, it almost makes getting a whip for my mage feel worthless.

Aeana

bluemax said:
They get more aggressive, I've had enemies chase me around when I entered a new area but as your level increases they taper off and stop following you. Still I find that I don't feel like I'm getting attacked more than I would like, especially in dungeons.

Yeah 3 is the most I've seen so far, it almost makes getting a whip for my mage feel worthless.
That was my primary fear. So far, it's been 3 enemies and usually they're not grouped. I just don't see the point of whips... especially since twin dragon lash requires so many points to get (
), and that's why I'm hoping it changes.

john tv

Zefah said:
Yeah, this is definitely not true -- at launch, Bic and Yodobashi are the cheapest places to buy. Bic -never- sells at retail. Of course after a week or two you can often find better deals in Akiba, but definitely not at launch. At least not in Tokyo, anyway.

How's the music in the game? Also are the dungeons simple like in DQVIII (I hope not)? Is the overworld as interesting to explore as in VIII? I would like to know these plz. :D

I really hope you guys start to see more than three enemies O_0 In the trailers, I think I saw four enemies once, but even then, four is far too few for a DQ game. The battles I enjoy the most in DQ usually have about double of that amount.

BluWacky

polyh3dron said:
I need some help though, what do I do after I get to the big ass tree?

From what I've read elsewhere, once you've given it your first Star Aura return to the king. He'll then tell you to go and get more Star Auras from the human realm, so go and talk to the female angel by a warp fountain thing in the centre of town.

Isn't that, like, five minutes into the game?

john tv

Aeana said:
That was my primary fear. So far, it's been 3 enemies and usually they're not grouped. I just don't see the point of whips... especially since twin dragon lash requires so many points to get (
), and that's why I'm hoping it changes.
Yah, I'm concerned about this too. Eight hours in, and I have not seen one fight that had more than three enemies. :/

Also looks like there's no treasure on the overworld this time (not that I mind really, but I know some people liked that about 8).

Aeana

Sandy is getting on my nerves. :\ But her theme song is so awesome. Also, has anybody come across any きよめの水? I need some for this quest (#6), but I have nooo idea where to find it.

john tv said:
Yah, I'm concerned about this too. Eight hours in, and I have not seen one fight that had more than three enemies. :/

Also looks like there's no treasure on the overworld this time (not that I mind really, but I know some people liked that about 8).
I think I've found a chest on the overworld? South of the first town? Maybe I'm remembering wrong, though. There'a also sparkling stuff on the ground that you can pick up. Usually stuff like herbs and stuff.

BluWacky said:
From what I've read elsewhere, once you've given it your first Star Aura return to the king. He'll then tell you to go and get more Star Auras from the human realm, so go and talk to the female angel by a warp fountain thing in the centre of town.

Isn't that, like, five minutes into the game?
pretty much

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
My party right now! I tried to make my character look like Gin from Bleach.:lol
3709973693_b090c14cdc_m.jpg
3710784722_93ba2f5905_m.jpg

3710784628_f78c9a3086_m.jpg
3709973971_4c76cc346a_m.jpg

Progress up till now:
I defeated the black knight and reported back to the king... the king's daughter wanted me to find someone in the town north of her kingdom and I did and that's where I basically stopped. Don't know where to go from there but oh well, I'm having fun just walking around and grinding. DQ is like the only game where I enjoy grinding because it's so fast :D

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
is there any chance of the people with the game briefly listing what each numbered sidequest entails when they come across them? that sounds like it would be impossible to grasp without some details.

jrricky

Banned
sprsk in the DQ9 announcemeant thread said:
I can't imagine riding on the train the day this comes out to see ****ing every single person holding a DS.
Is this happening?:lol

EDIT: My god, White Man was awful going through that DQ announcement thread again.:lol :lol

Aeana

mattiewheels said:
is there any chance of the people with the game briefly listing what each numbered sidequest entails when they come across them? that sounds like it would be impossible to grasp without some details.
Well, I can add what quests I've done so far.

Malon wants some spotted spider silk (まだらくもいと), which you can get at the web-covered pit northeast of town.
Amaris wants to see a victory pose, so stand next to her and hold down B and press up (which should say ガッツポーズ).
Amaris now wants to see you perform four gestures in a row, so go into your menu, select さくせん and then しぐさ とうろく and go down to the down arrow part, where there are four boxes. From top to bottom, add these gestures: まわる, はくしゅ, ジャンプ, and ガッツポーズ. Then exit out and stand next to her, hold B and press down. You should do all four in a row and complete the quest.

Burton, a knight at Saint Stein castle, has a friend who is ailing somehow (I forget exactly what he had), and wants to make a medicine. What he actually wants are an herb (やくそう), antidote (どくけしそう), and full moon herb (まんげつそう), so talk to him again when you have those items to complete the quest.
#006 Still trying to figure out where to get the item I need for this one. :\
Manny is trying to slide through a crack in the wall, but is having trouble, so he wants some lubricant. He asks for some slime jelly (スライムゼリー), which drops from slimes.
Old man Irohan wants some magic holywater (まほうのせいすい). I honestly forget if a store sells this, or what, but I had one when I got to him.

bluemax

Banned
Aeana said:
Sandy is getting on my nerves. :\ But her theme song is so awesome. Also, has anybody come across any きよめの水? I need some for this quest (#6), but I have nooo idea where to find it.

I think I've found a chest on the overworld? South of the first town? Maybe I'm remembering wrong, though. There'a also sparkling stuff on the ground that you can pick up. Usually stuff like herbs and stuff.

I found one chest and a bunch of sparkly stuff, I've been exploring every map trying to find more.

Oh also
in the second map, the one with the castle town there's a small dungeon type place you can enter that I found some decent armor for my main guy that I recently passed down to my priest.

Edit: Aenea where is quest 6? I've found 1,2,3,5 and 7 so far.

bluemax

Banned
Aeana said:
They will in this upcoming issue, probably. They always review DQ games the week after release.

6 is a followup to 5.

Sweet thanks.

Awesome I just got the
ALCHEMY POT
!!

Edit:
WTF it doesn't come with you? This better change!

I found quest 10 but I don't appear to have what the guy wants.

Aeana

I've played a lot more, and things are rolling along pretty quickly. I've gotten the alchemy pot, and now I'm getting recipes like crazy. I hope sorting through the abundance of recipes doesn't cause a problem. :eek: Also, I love how staves return MP if you physically attack with them, and there's an MP regeneration stat along with that to control how much MP you get back. With the combo system, and the MP return system, it seems like they tried to make physical attacks even more attractive. I'm not quite sure how I feel about that, but I definitely like getting MP back from attacking.

Unfortunately, I haven't spent a single skill point on my magician... I just can't decide what I want to do with her. I should really make a decision soon!

Storywise, I've done some events in the town of Beckseria.
The atmosphere of the town reminds me soo much of Attemuto/Mamon from DQ4. It's really cool, and the music that plays there is reminiscent of DQ5.

Johnas

mutsu said:
Wow. I am amazed how much fan service Sugiyama has given to the music. Simply amazing. And I am only like 2 hours into the game.

What do you mean by this, exactly? Lots of remixes of older music, or old tunes interwoven into new ones? I guess you might spoiler tag your response, just to be on the safe side.

I was hoping the soundtrack would be mostly fresh, not that I have a problem with any old DQ music.

Aeana, thanks for those impressions. Any general comments on the dungeons so far? Good size, nice sense of exploration, etc.? I know they won't get too complicated early in the game though.

Top Bottom