• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 Official Japanese Thread - USE SPOILER TAGS (or we Kafrizzle yo ass)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Stumpokapow said:
We won't be getting them. We get first day sales for games that are released on Thursday. We get those on Friday. The sales week runs Monday-Sunday. DQ was released on Saturday.

So on Wednesday or possibly Tuesday depending on if the numbers get leaked, we'll get "first week" numbers which will be the first two days of DQ sales.
Maybe Famitsu will tell us before the numbers leak, sometimes they do for launches like this.

Lee N

Membre
duckroll said:
Unfortunately because of the DQ resolution, the furigana is almost unreadable most of the time even though it's there.
Judging from screenshots I've seen so far, it's not that bad. Maybe if you're not comfortable with hiragana then it might be a problem to see individual strokes but it seems like it would do the job to me.

I'm surprised more developers haven't gone the Phantom Hourglass route for furigana though, I really liked what Nintendo did there.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Prophane33 said:
Great, I spent all that time translating and all I ask was that if it's reposted credit is given. Guess I won't be doing the rest after all.
That seems kinda dickish of you but that's just me. I was thinking of doing it anyway since I could use the practice.
*takes look at stolen translation*
Yeah, I wouldn't be clamoring to have credit for that.
Lee N said:
Judging from screenshots I've seen so far, it's not that bad. Maybe if you're not comfortable with hiragana then it might be a problem to see individual strokes but it seems like it would do the job to me.

I'm surprised more developers haven't gone the Phantom Hourglass route for furigana though, I really liked what Nintendo did there.
I haven't had a problem with it yet.

Prophane33

RevenantKioku said:
That seems kinda dickish of you but that's just me. I was thinking of doing it anyway since I could use the practice.

On the original board where I posted the translations I gave explicit instructions stating to give credit if someone repost them elsewhere. Basically I implied that anyone could go ahead and repost them that's why I'm putting them on the internet instead of keeping them to myself or in my head as usual. However, when someone can't even follow the one little thing I wrote about throwing in a credit that's just silly. I've never had problems with this in the past. However, it's things like this that keeps my translations few and far between.

If you would like to continue to translate the rest/and post corrections (some are needed) than by all means continue. I look forward to your work.

Lee N

Membre
Prophane33 said:
On the original board where I posted the translations I gave explicit instructions stating to give credit if someone repost them elsewhere. Basically I implied that anyone could go ahead and repost them that's why I'm putting them on the internet instead of keeping them to myself or in my head as usual. However, when someone can't even follow the one little thing I wrote about throwing in a credit that's just silly. I've never had problems with this in the past. However, it's things like this that keeps my translations few and far between.

Why do you crave credit all that much? Since you're already a member of NeoGAF you could've posted it here yourself, but since you didn't you left it open to others copying your work.

And even then, they didn't claim it was their own so it's not like they stole it from you. It's far more likely that they just went ahead to the meat of your original post (that is the actual translations) simply skipping past your "EULA".

If you wan't to help people, that's awesome. If you don't want to help people, that's fine too. But don't bring the drama because someone neglected to read whatever requirements you had in your original post.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

Aeana

Just finished the Beckseria events.
There's a song that plays that starts off identically to "These feelings" from DQ8, and as soon as I was thinking that he may have reused a song, it started to change. I'm starting to wonder, though, if the similarities between songs is really 'fanservice' or if Sugiyama is just starting to run out of juice... :\

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It sounds good hearing that the sidequests are just sidequests, and I do like that they are numbered. You can tell if you miss one and want to go out and find it. Does it look like the game might have regional inflections/dialects when it is translated? Do the regions have distinct "area" feels?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Aeana said:
There's a song that plays that starts off identically to "These feelings" from DQ8, and as soon as I was thinking that he may have reused a song, it started to change. I'm starting to wonder, though, if the similarities between songs is really 'fanservice' or if Sugiyama is just starting to run out of juice... :\
There have been comments in the past that his latest efforts were not as memorable but I never perceived it that way. Hopefully the music from DQ9 is just his own homage to a series that is also his own baby in a way, rather than the creative steam simply running out. He did state that taking a step back from the technological leap gave him nostalgic feelings so perhaps that is why things might sound similar. He better not take the easy mode or I'll cry.

Lee N said:
Why do you crave credit all that much? Since you're already a member of NeoGAF you could've posted it here yourself, but since you didn't you left it open to others copying your work.

And even then, they didn't claim it was their own so it's not like they stole it from you. It's far more likely that they just went ahead to the meat of your original post (that is the actual translations) simply skipping past your "EULA".

If you wan't to help people, that's awesome. If you don't want to help people, that's fine too. But don't bring the drama because someone neglected to read whatever requirements you had in your original post.

I don't think this is the right argument. Moral rights are fairly universally accepted (and protected) across the developed world. They're also at the base level of all the CC type copyleft stuff. Attribution is courtesy.

The rest, following that, is just a silly argument that disregards everything that copyright is. Again, this isn't the silly, draconian level of copyright that everybody hates, this is the base, sane level of copyright that everybody likes.

But, as you said, nobody claimed this was their own work, or acted in such a way to make people think it was theirs. A link back to the thread would probably have been enough. The guy who copied it probably just didn't think to do it. I don't know. The best argument is probably that the lack of attribution was not malicious, this is the internet. But to act as though wanting attribution is the insane idea of an arrogant person is a little out there as a standpoint. And the idea that these are terrible translations that no one should want their name next to, therefore disregarding the wishes of the author is cool, is an even worse one. :p

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
chicken_ramen said:
I don't think this is the right argument. Moral rights are fairly universally accepted (and protected) across the developed world. They're also at the base level of all the CC type copyleft stuff. Attribution is courtesy.

The rest, following that, is just a silly argument that disregards everything that copyright is. Again, this isn't the silly, draconian level of copyright that everybody hates, this is the base, sane level of copyright that everybody likes.

But, as you said, nobody claimed this was their own work, or acted in such a way to make people think it was theirs. A link back to the thread would probably have been enough. The guy who copied it probably just didn't think to do it. I don't know. The best argument is probably that the lack of attribution was not malicious, this is the internet. But to act as though wanting attribution is the insane idea of an arrogant person is a little out there as a standpoint. And the idea that these are terrible translations that no one should want their name next to, therefore disregarding the wishes of the author is cool, is an even worse one. :p
Equip all job's swords

RevenantKioku said:
Equip all job's swords

:p I didn't look under the spoiler tags. I guess I probably should have if I wanted to argue about it. This is still probably a week away from getting to me. :(

I need to keep out of this thread.

Aeana

Wanting credit for something you did is fine, but honestly, if you don't want your work to show up somewhere uncredited, don't post it on an internet forum. It's going to happen. I'd think people are used to that stuff by now.

I personally really don't care about being credited or anything. I post translations and stuff to help people, and so I actually want it to be spread to people who need the help. That's what it's for. I kind of think people who whine for credit are just in it for the e-glory and not to help anybody, and that bothers me.

Aeana said:
Wanting credit for something you did is fine, but honestly, if you don't want your work to show up somewhere uncredited, don't post it on the internet. It's going to happen. I'd think people are used to that stuff by now.

I personally really don't care about being credited or anything. I post translations and stuff to help people, and so I actually want it to be spread to people who need the help.
That's what it's for. I kind of think people who whine for credit are just in it for the e-glory and not to help anybody, and that bothers me.

That's how I feel when I've done the same in the past, personally I figure the text is the text and my slapdash translations exist only to help those who need them not for any personal reason, but other people can feel differently. I dunno.

Game looks great.

Lee N

Membre
chicken_ramen said:
No, i think it's fair to request attribution. That wasn't my point.

I do, however, think it's silly to go all drama queen and refuse to translate anything in the future simply because someone neglected to read his EULA.

Also; Translations are derivative works and Prophane33 neglected to give Square-Enix and Level 5 any credit (I found his original post via Google), so he's just as guilty himself. All he did was to demand that people credit him.

Lee N said:
No, i think it's fair to request attribution. That wasn't my point.

I do, however, think it's silly to go all drama queen and refuse to translate anything in the future simply because someone neglected to read his EULA.

Also; Translations are derivative works and Prophane33 neglected to give Square-Enix and Level 5 any credit (I found his original post via Google), so he's just as guilty himself. All he did was to demand that people credit him.

Well played. :)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
what does it mean when i have a lot of greyed-out skills in my battle options that i can never use?

john tv

sprsk said:
Just killed a metal slime!
Leveled up my whole party too. Hell yeah.
I killed two of 'em earlier -- felt great! First one hadn't noticed me, which made it a cinch (especially having already learned Metal Cut). Good times.

Aeana

I've finally arrived at
Dharma
! I can't wait to mess with job stuff later on when I get time to play some more.

The last few events have been really cool. This game is truly a Dragon Quest game through and through. It's hard to explain exactly what that means, but it's just given me a feeling that only these games can give, and it's really something special.

Shouta

sprsk said:
Just killed a metal slime!
Leveled up my whole party too. Hell yeah.

I killed a bunch of them earlier myself. Despite it, I'm only level 20. :lol

Anyway, I'm kind of annoyed at the game not having a target confirmation when there's only one enemy on screen. I accidently hit it too fast and I select the wrong commands. >=|

john tv

Aeana said:
I've finally arrived at
Dharma
! I can't wait to mess with job stuff later on when I get time to play some more.

The last few events have been really cool. This game is truly a Dragon Quest game through and through. It's hard to explain exactly what that means, but it's just given me a feeling that only these games can give, and it's really something special.
I know exactly what you mean. I didn't like the first hour or so too much but since then it's been pretty awesome. The whole bit with
the dream up at Yggdrasil and the mysterious being blocking the attack on the human world
was great. I loved the whole
black knight
story arc, too. Classic DQ.

rhino4evr

Prophane33 said:

If you would like to continue to translate the rest/and post corrections (some are needed) than by all means continue. I look forward to your work.

CRY MOAR

Aeana said:
Should be intentional according to this interview: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/02/04/sugiyama_on_dqix_music/

For long time fans of the Dragon Quest series, Sugiyama revealed that DQIX will have scenes with songs from parts one through eight.

Since I haven't heard anything that were grabbed directly from 1~8 so far (aside from the standard church/intermezzo/whatever themes), I assume he's referring to certain musical cues that make reference to past music? I notice that a section of the
castle music is reminiscent of DQ1's castle theme too

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
john tv said:
I killed two of 'em earlier -- felt great! First one hadn't noticed me, which made it a cinch (especially having already learned Metal Cut). Good times.

Yeah, I have no sword users in my party so I got a lucky crit and got him.

I'm at the same spot as Aeana now and I can't wait to get into some of the advanced classes.

Aeana

darkhunger said:
Should be intentional according to this interview: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/02/04/sugiyama_on_dqix_music/

Since I haven't heard anything that were grabbed directly from 1~8 so far (aside from the standard church/intermezzo/whatever themes), I assume he's referring to certain musical cues that make reference to past music? I notice that a section of the
castle music is reminiscent of DQ1's castle theme too
Yeah, I guess I know what he means. Especially after hearing the music at
Dharma
. Wow, that's pretty cool.

mattiewheels

another silly question: can i set my party's tactics? i think i hit a screen where you can, but i'm in the dark.

Aeana

mattiewheels said:
another silly question: can i set my party's tactics? i think i hit a screen where you can, but i'm in the dark.
Out of battle:
さくせん → さくせんがえ → Here you can set the tactics for each member, whether they're in the front or back row, and their window color.

In battle:
さくせん → さくせんがえ → Same as above, but you can only set tactics here. ぜんいん lets you set the same one to all members.
To change rows in battle, go to はいちがえ instead in the さくせん submenu. You can also change your equipment here with そうびがえ.

As far as actual tactics options go:

ガンガンいこうぜ → Go all out
バッチリがんばれ → Fight wisely
いろいろやろうぜ → Try all sorts of stuff
いのちだいじに → Focus on healing
MPつかうな → Don't use MP
めいれいさせろ → Follow orders (manual)

EDIT: In translating these, I noticed that they're written like a guy would say them. In DQ4, I believe 'follow orders' is written as めいれいするわよ for a female character. Too bad. :\

john tv

Aight, time to crash. 13 hours and change, just finished the events at
Dharma
and picked up a bunch of new quests there (if you have a mage, try sleeping at the inn once you've hit level 15). Loving the game so far -- definitely real Dragon Quest!

Aeana -- I haven't tried any of the Wi-Fi stuff yet, but am planning to tomorrow. How is it?

mattiewheels

Aeana

john tv said:
Aight, time to crash. 13 hours and change, just finished the events at
Dharma
and picked up a bunch of new quests there (if you have a mage, try sleeping at the inn once you've hit level 15). Loving the game so far -- definitely real Dragon Quest!

Aeana -- I haven't tried any of the Wi-Fi stuff yet, but am planning to tomorrow. How is it?
The contents of the wi-fi shop for me weren't that great. Some strong herbs and some other kinds of herbs, magic beast horns, magic beast leather and pure water. But it was good enough for me, since I really needed a pure water for quest #6! Didn't see downloadable quests yet, but I assume the first of those won't hit until Friday.

Rumors are circulating about DQIX's first day sales.... >2.8 million. Woah if true.

BTW: How is the game? Looking forward to it in the states.

Cygnus X-1

Mr Killemgood said:
Rumors are circulating about DQIX's first day sales.... >2.8 million. Woah if true.

BTW: How is the game? Looking forward to it in the states.

Actually, wasn't the initial shipment around 2 millions?

Hive

Banned
Aeana must be having the time of her life right now ^_^

I kind of felt that way waiting for the localization of Front Mission 1st. It took awhile, but the wait was worth it once I could finally sit down and play.

mattiewheels

what would japanese 3mil sold roughly equal to in american sales? like double that?

bluemax

Banned
Prophane33 said:
Great, I spent all that time translating and all I ask was that if it's reposted credit is given. Guess I won't be doing the rest after all.

Apologies I didn't mean to slight you at all! I just didn't know the policy of sourcing the name of that board over here. I should have at least sourced your name and for that I am very sorry.

Edit I should also note that I never saw the part of your post that said to source your name. And as evidenced by where I posted spell translations that I obtained from someone else's previous guide it's not like I'm normally in the business of slighting people.

Cygnus X-1 said:
And...does it change things? I mean: if the retailers ordered this amount of games, can we expect more then that? If yes, why?
No, preorders are made by the consumers, not the retailers. Unless there are manufacturing constraints, retailers always stock more because most buyers don't preorder.

Cygnus X-1

darkhunger said:
No, preorders are made by the consumers, not the retailers. Unless there are manufacturing constraints, retailers always stock more because most buyers don't preorder.

Ok. Thanks. Btw, Mr Killemgood posted this in the Media Create thread.

Mr Killemgood said:
It's not from Sinobi but:

2,877,000 for DQIX, Day-one. I am unsure the source, so it goes in the rumor pile for now. Unbelievable if true, though.

Aeana

dq9-5slimes.jpg

We're up to 5 enemies! Let's hope for 6 next!
Although... I have a feeling 5 is the limit. They keep summoning every time I reduce their number, but won't summon if all 5 are alive. They need 8 to form king slime... so if he's in the game, there has to be at least 8 enemies in a battle at once!

MotherFan

Aeana said:
dq9-5slimes.jpg

Although... I have a feeling 5 is the limit. They keep summoning every time I reduce their number, but won't summon if all 5 are alive. They need 8 to form king slime... so if he's in the game, there has to be at least 8 enemies in a battle at once!

Didn't it take awhile for VIII to get really large groups too? I remember 3-4 at the start but it was not till later you got some of the bigger groups.

Aeana said:
That's goofy. Hardware limitation?

Oh well. Five is a good number, as long as it isn't a rarity.

Lee N

Membre
Aeana said:
They need 8 to form king slime... so if he's in the game, there has to be at least 8 enemies in a battle at once!
I've seen king slime in videos of the game.

Top Bottom