• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Builders demo out now

Shikoba

Awesome, now I will be able to understand what I'm doing, since I guessed my way through the jp demo lol. Looking forward to the game!

GunBR

Awesome, now I will be able to understand what I'm doing, since I guessed my way through the jp demo lol. Looking forward to the game!
Same here

Still thinking if I gonna buy the game on launch
I loved the JP demo, but 60 dollars for a Minecraft clone looks waaaay too expensive

Yep, they need to fix that stutter and I also seem to be missing a run button. :p
Cool to drop a demo, not something I would have picked up day one but now I very well might.

No stutter on Vita version, haven't tried the PS4 one yet.
But the japanese retail version works fine, so it should be okay

I don't remember stutter but there are some pretty hard framerate dips in the Vita version. It doesn't really distract from the gameplay though.

Is the VITA version actually playable regarding framerate and controls? I don't have a PS4 yet.

Yeah it's a totally fine way to play it.

There are framerate dips but they aren't gamebreaking. There are also texture & lighting differences but they don't matter so much.

Overall the worst thing is that the screen is a little small, which sometimes made it hard to distinguish between two block types.

Nice. I downloaded the jp demo awhile back on ps4 but I have no where near the energy needed to change my vita over, and I really wanted to try it on vita. Now to determine what to buy it on. Ps4, vita?
hold out for nx?
I kind of hate having the choice and no cross buy option haha

It's out now in the EU as well. I had to search for it on the Vita because it didn't appear in the demo section but it's there. I look forward to playing it, I'm always down for some Dragon Quest and this reminded me that I need to buy 7 on the 3DS.

Tanston

Is the demo just the start of the game and if so does progress carry over to the full game? I'm 100% for sure buying the game don't want to waste time with the demo and spoil myself a bit if progress doesn't carry over.

played it at comicon copenhagen and seemed just like a minecraft clone to me tbh.

Not even close. The fact that you have quests, a standardized world, a deeper combat system, and a leveling up system (and a level system for your immediate town) is only like half of what makes this game not even close to playing like minecraft.

magnetic

Is the VITA version actually playable regarding framerate and controls? I don't have a PS4 yet.

I've been starting to become really sensitive to bad framerates, but it's fine in the demo so far.

I actually really like the controls, there are nice details like the L and R buttons switching the height of your block placements.

Hitting stuff also feels nice, with blocks having health bars and doing satisfying smashing sounds.

While the graphics obviously aren't as good as on PS4, it's a huge step up from unmodified Minecraft (which I never liked the look of, personally speaking).

It's basically something I never knew I wanted - a prettier, "gamier" Minecraft. The DQ feel is a very nice element as well.

Super surprised with that demo. Probably would have just ignored the game, so making it available was a smart move!

Runs nice on vita, biggest difference is the camera feels just a tad more awkward compared to the ps4 version but I mean that more as an inherent problem to the platform rather than the flame itself, it's basically the exact same. Really nice though, doesn't seem to skip a beat based on my experience with the ps4 jp demo. Nice to understand what's going on now haha figuring out what I was to actually do took me forever the first time, especially needing tow beds and not one for the home.

The script seems quite tongue in cheek haha any idea who localised it, square themselves?

As for the game itself, I really like the demo content, it takes some of minecrafts mechanical strengths the filters it through a guide structured story mode with a whole bunch to do and lots of dragon quest charm, but there's a free mode in the full game too, just for having fun.

Kalor

I bumbled my way through the japanese demo so I'm curious to try it again as I really enjoyed it back then.

ldcommando

Banned
Game is pretty cool. It is the first of those crafting games can I actually play. But why does it run so bad? I hope they fix it for the final release.

zMiiChy-

Banned
Thank you!
I'm in NA and I'm downloading the VITA version now.

I've been so hyped for this game... and I kind of hate Minecraft!

Game is pretty cool. It is the first of those crafting games can I actually play. But why does it run so bad? I hope they fix it for the final release.

To be honest, it shouldn't be running bad (PS4 version anyway). The Japanese version is already out and runs great so who knows what's going oin.

Top Bottom