• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes |OT| - The World Tree's Woe and Some Heroes We Know

Wilsongt

I guess I am in the last area of the game. Been doing sidequests and all and trying to level up.

Think I will be sticking with Luceus/Bianca/Yangus/Jessica for the time being.

Raw64life

Shortly into the post-game quests I realized that you can zoom from anywhere and don't have to be standing near one of the waypoints in order to use it. Probably would've made some of those "protect ______" missions a lot easier. I have one more sidequest left (the one where you're just the two mains) and then a handful of grotto challenges before I probably call it a game. There doesn't seem much point at all to doing a NG+.

What is the recommended usage for mini medals? I have about 250 and haven't used a single one yet. Is there a reason why some of the items listed that you can get in exchange for mini medals are different colors?

How exactly does the weekend event stuff work?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=182042379&highlight=#post182042379

Jobbs

Banned
I have almost 50 medals and was thinking of picking up one of those weapons.. Is there something else I should be saving them for?

Farming mini medals is pretty trivial in the post game, so feel free to use them however you want. I would only suggested holding off on the recipes and ingredients till towards the end of the post-game in case you get what you need from drops.

SunGod

Is it bad that I'm thinking of picking this up instead of Halo 5?

...Need something different

Do it.

What is the recommended usage for mini medals? I have about 250 and haven't used a single one yet. Is there a reason why some of the items listed that you can get in exchange for mini medals are different colors?

As Absoludacrous said; farming mini medals post-game is trivial (I posted a link to a youtube video showing how to do it earlier)
Yellow ones don't carry over into NG+ I believe (so just the shield and one of the orbs do IIRC)

OH man I just tried a side quest and got my ass handed to me. Had to protect the tree leaf thing within the Colliseum area and yeah it didn't go well. First time I've been challenged really. I like it. Hope there is lots more where that came from

Klossen

Banned
OH man I just tried a side quest and got my ass handed to me. Had to protect the tree leaf thing within the Colliseum area and yeah it didn't go well. First time I've been challenged really. I like it. Hope there is lots more where that came from

That was the first trial I failed at too. It gets pretty rough near the end. I'd advice quickly disposing of the spawn points to your flanks. Don't bother with the one farthest away. Alternatively, you could use some monster minions to choke the enemies at a chosen gate while you go and deal with the other spawn. I didn't try this method though.

Espada

I just beat Mr. Velasco and once on the Stonecloud I noticed the weapon shop had new stuff. Here's the odd part: Everyone but Alena and Aurora/Luceus had spiffy new weapons available.

I checked the Questmistress and it seems Aurora and Luceus's new weapons are rewards from a trial.

Where is Alena's new weapon? Is she going to be stuck with the Beast Mitts until the end of the game or am I missing something?

Lucreto

I just got to Grannet and did the first mission. How far am I into the main campaign?

Also is there any way to improve my hit rate on metal Slimes? The little feckers keep running away.

B-Dex

I just beat Mr. Velasco and once on the Stonecloud I noticed the weapon shop had new stuff. Here's the odd part: Everyone but Alena and Aurora/Luceus had spiffy new weapons available.

I checked the Questmistress and it seems Aurora and Luceus's new weapons are rewards from a trial.

Where is Alena's new weapon? Is she going to be stuck with the Beast Mitts until the end of the game or am I missing something?

Some new stock arrives a mission or 2 later usually with the other peoples new gear.

Mihos

Gold Member

If it is the one I am thinking of, I just ran straight to the first few gateway maul dudes ignoring all else and none of the big stuff even spawned. Also, the zoom portals stay active on retries, so taking a loss on purpose to open them up is actually a valid (though cheap) strategy

Her best weapon, like all characters, is gained post game so worry not.

Lucreto

Favourite character has to be Yangus. I love the cockney-accent and the way he generally speaks.

It makes me want to play Dragon Quest VIII again.

The voice acting/localisation is great. Again SE did a great job here that we can only hope the next DQ also sees similar treatment like VIII did back in the day as well. Defo a big plus point to the game. Although the main character rattling on is a tad annoying even though that's his "thing" but it gets tiresome. Love that you can get rewards or medals for getting trophies. Graphically it's really nice and the cut scenes look incredible. Really makes you want to play a full on RPG at this level which hopefully the next mainline one will by the initial reveal.

There's a few flaws that let the game down slightly for me and most could easily be fixed. It's a little tedious accepting/handing in requests as well as buying and selling. Either because it has to play a little tune every time or there's no sell all or more than 1 at a time. I'd also say the move list is rather limited and doesn't really expand at all as you level up beyond the odd special which makes the gameplay more limited than it could be and therefore repetitive. Though the game is fun to play still. Also bit of a pain having you auto go back to the ship every time than go to the world map. That would save some time. However loading is really speedy mostly so it's not a biggie.

It's also rather lengthy. I do like the added RPG elements over traditional musou style games though at first I wasn't quite taken by it as I probably went in believing it was going to be similar to those games however you have to learn it plays a bit different with added TD style levels and less capturing zones and whatnot. But there's plenty to do and it certainly has some nice extra quests and completist stuff.

I'm nearing the end now and I've rather enjoyed it. Certainly nice to see DQ again even if it's not a mainline game and it's great to see Yangus and Jessica back too which only makes you want for a HD release of DQVIII even more :(

Jobbs

Banned
Favourite character has to be Yangus. I love the cockney-accent and the way he generally speaks.

It makes me want to play Dragon Quest VIII again.

I find myself primarily controlling Yangus ever since I got him. He has armor shredding move, one of the best crowd clearing moves, and while the taunt and defense stance things haven't really been essential (yet), they certainly seem like they might be.

Ponn

Banned
I'm almost completed story. Got a bunch of last side quests and
escped the fault
. I got a certain someone I wasn't expecting joined my fight, i'm not sure if he is a spoiler or not
Psaro
. He looked badass and I tried him out. He looks cool but i'm just not feeling him. Is he worth raising up? I'm currently level 65 with the rest in my main group around 60. I have elevating shoes but he joined at level 35.

Great great game so far. I was hungry for a musou game and I got OP PW 3 and then this right after so i'm getting my fill. Still going to get Hyrule Warriors Legends for 3DS whenever it comes out since I see alot of comparisons to this.

just got the game yesterday and played a little bit, does the main guy and girl basically clones? they had the same moves etc. or are there differences?

I'm enjoying the Archer chick actually. Has some pretty slick spells that can hold enemies at bay.

This game almost feels like Orcs Must Die at times

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The whole tower defense idea was beginning to make me weary after the first few missions, does that mean I'll really get sick of the rest of the game?

Apt101

It would be nice if belle caps dropped. Almost at the thirty hour mark and I've never gotten one, despite grinding for them for an hour earlier.

It would be nice if belle caps dropped. Almost at the thirty hour mark and I've never gotten one, despite grinding for them for an hour earlier.

Buy them with mini medals. Spending an hour grinding mini medals is way more productive than spending an hour farming for ingredients and coming up short.

Espada

Yeah, I just broke down and bought some. Shamans refuse to drop the damn things. I've had every other rare drop from much harder enemies drop without an issue, but the Belle Caps? Nope.

Yeah, I just broke down and bought some. Shamans refuse to drop the damn things. I've had every other rare drop from much harder enemies drop without an issue, but the Belle Caps? Nope.
I tried to get them for ages. Gave up and carried on and just through doing quests and the story I ended up with a lot do it wasn't worth the effort in the end XD

wilflare

I'm really taking my own sweet time with the game.

I've been rather cautious in my approach too. I don't spend any Skill Points, don't sell any Gold Nuggets (old equipment and ingredients either)

I've made sure to check the chests, barrels and talk to everyone every time I return to Stonecloud...

I clear all quests, new maps before moving on with the story

just some questions
- can we get the Platinum without New Game+?
- only Mini-medals carry over to NG+?
- do we get enough skill points to unlock everything?

Apt101

I've been rather cautious in my approach too. I don't spend any Skill Points, don't sell any Gold Nuggets (old equipment and ingredients either)

I've made sure to check the chests, barrels and talk to everyone every time I return to Stonecloud...

just some questions

Spend those skill points. You can respec at the priestess who saves your game.

just some questions

As the other poster said. Spend the points as you can always reallocate them. As to your questions.

Yes you can get the platinum without NG+.

You keep your levels and all items I believe for NG+ (not sure on mini medals hopefully someone else can clarify)

No you can't unlock everything though you can get close. Using NG+ gives everyone a bonus 50 skill points so you can do it that way.

SunGod

How does one grind mini medals?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib6dEQo6CJo

just some questions

You can sell the gold nuggets, they're not used for anything. Also you can get the platinum in one play through, you don't get enough skill points to unlock everything in one play through unfortunately.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I have almost 50 medals and was thinking of picking up one of those weapons.. Is there something else I should be saving them for?

I'm almost done with the game (just finishing all the sidequests for the characters) and I don't even see the value of medals. The weapons that mustached guy sells is nothing special (except for the Orbs?). I'd say use it to buy recipes?

I'm level 44 or something with Luceus and the hardest fight by far is the one with
Prosas
side quest. Everything else is a cakewalk (side quests and bosses) for my party of Luceus, Aurora, Yangus and Jessica.

Not even sure if I should finish off every side quest now, but might do it anyway since I'm almost there.

What's considered the god-tier party and accessories so far? Super fun game. Just the UI and all the selling/buying and stuff can't be forwarded super fast is annoying.

What's considered the god-tier party and accessories so far? Super fun game. Just the UI and all the selling/buying and stuff can't be forwarded super fast is annoying.

Not sure there is one really. Different line ups work better for different levels and bosses.

I run

Aurora (her frost slash freeze skill is super powerful with multiple hits)
Jessica (her tension ramps fast does tons of damage and of course healing)

I normally fill in the other two randomly mainly with Terry, Kiryl Bianca or Alena but pretty much all the characters seem decent except maybe Nera? Aside from her attack boost she seems kinda meh.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Not sure there is one really. Different line ups work better for different levels and bosses.

I run

Aurora (her frost slash freeze skill is super powerful with multiple hits)
Jessica (her tension ramps fast does tons of damage and of course healing)

I normally fill in the other two randomly mainly with Terry, Kiryl Bianca or Alena but pretty much all the characters seem decent except maybe Nera? Aside from her attack boost she seems kinda meh.

I goofed and used both Luceus and Aurora. Should have mained Aurora and replaced the other one with a different skill set. Yangus with his armor breaker skill is super handy. Jessica with heal is a must. Dang...not sure who to switch out now.

I goofed and used both Luceus and Aurora. Should have mained Aurora and replaced the other one with a different skill set. Yangus with his armor breaker skill is super handy. Jessica with heal is a must. Dang...not sure who to switch out now.
yes their skill sets are pretty much identical though due to freezing Aurora has the edge imo.

You're the first person I know that plays both ha ha :)

I'm almost done with the game (just finishing all the sidequests for the characters) and I don't even see the value of medals. The weapons that mustached guy sells is nothing special (except for the Orbs?). I'd say use it to buy recipes?

I'm level 44 or something with Luceus and the hardest fight by far is the one with
Prosas
side quest. Everything else is a cakewalk (side quests and bosses) for my party of Luceus, Aurora, Yangus and Jessica.

Not even sure if I should finish off every side quest now, but might do it anyway since I'm almost there.

So if you're saying the weapons you can purchase with the mini medals aren't special, does that mean you can get equal (or better) weapons from the shop? If that's the case, is the point of spending medals on weapons to get a powerful weapon sooner?

Just trying to figure out what to spend my medals on. Any advice would be awesome!

Top Bottom