• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes : SE says overseas release may be considered

No it's our fault for not buying shitty Tose-developed DQ Monsters sequels.

The original DQM games were developed by TOSE. Joker 2's a great game, even if the 3DS games (also still TOSE, also still great) never come out here at least people can play and enjoy that. Basically the same core gameplay.

t26

I wonder why that is.

There is no Xseed or Aksys Games that's specialized in localizating games in Chinese. It is up to Sony Taiwan and they have the resources and connections to work with just about everyone. This also means they will be focusing on bigger games like Yakzua 0 and passing on lesser known games.

Holmes

Well, it's not as easy as "there are more PS4s in the west so they should release it". They would need to spend money on licensing, the localization staff, QA, publishing and distribution, marketing (which would be non-existant anyway cause SE), etc. and they would take a gamble on whether or not the revenue they make would offset all those costs.

It'd be a joke if they decided to bring over a DQ Musou, since it'd sell less than most of DQ games ever arrived, rather than a traditional jRPG. DQ fans want a jRPG, not an action game, and the Western fanbase is not as strong as the Japanese one, where they'd buy even DQ toilet paper.

I still can't bring myself to think it's not coming. This is like the second or third time SE have made such a statement and it would not make sense to not release it in the West.
PS4 is selling incredibly well in the West, as opposed to Japan. Even if SE weren't willing to publish it, KT would as they do localize pretty much every game of theirs. If all else fails, Sony could do it.

I understand how people would feel burnt after DQVII but this is a totally different situation. SE haven't entirely given up on the franchise in the West or they wouldn't have gone out of their way to give DQ1-3 new localizations and add party chat to DQ4.

I think most of us expected DQH localisation. Its a Musou (shhh) game and they have an audience on Playstation in the West. Hearing that SCE is helping localise it in Taiwan is promising.

I still can't bring myself to think it's not coming. This is like the second or third time SE have made such a statement and it would not make sense to not release it in the West.
PS4 is selling incredibly well in the West, as opposed to Japan. Even if SE weren't willing to publish it, KT would as they do localize pretty much every game of theirs. If all else fails, Sony could do it.

I understand how people would feel burnt after DQVII but this is a totally different situation. SE haven't entirely given up on the franchise in the West or they wouldn't have gone out of their way to give DQ1-3 new localizations and add party chat to DQ4.

I am quite skeptical about the sales potential of DQH in the West. PS4 has a big installed base, which buy a lot of Western games (I mean, a lot) but still has to prove itself in sustaining a sizeable fanbase for less known Japanese games. DQ Western fanbase is tiny, and I'm doubtful it will buy DQH in big numbers, since it's not even a jRPG.

Kysen

Wow up till now I assumed this was a worldwide release. Ill be getting the JP version anyway. Sony would be stupid not to get the PS4 version localized.

duckroll

I am quite skeptical about the sales potential of DQH in the West. PS4 has a big installed base, which buy a lot of Western games (I mean, a lot) but still has to prove itself in sustaining a sizeable fanbase for less known Japanese games. DQ Western fanbase is tiny, and I'm doubtful it will buy DQH in big numbers, since it's not even a jRPG.

If Dynasty Warriors Gundam and Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage was worth releasing in the West, then Dragon Quest Heroes is certainly worth releasing in the West.

If Dynasty Warriors Gundam and Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage was worth releasing in the West, then Dragon Quest Heroes is certainly worth releasing in the West.

The point is, Bandai Namco found worthwile releasing those games in the West. Does Square Enix? Because Square Enix has been keeping DQ under the rug for quite some time, leaving in Japan a lot of entries, including some that could sell quite well (DQVII). Also, Dynasty Warriors: Gundam Reborn came on PS3 and digital only, while Fist of the North Star is a hugely popular IP in Europe.

duckroll

The point is, Bandai Namco found worthwile releasing those games in the West. Does Square Enix? Because Square Enix has been keeping DQ under the rug for quite some time, leaving in Japan a lot of entries, including some that could sell quite well (DQVII). Also, Dynasty Warriors: Gundam Reborn came on PS3 and digital only, while Fist of the North Star is a hugely popular IP in Europe.

Ken's Rage has nothing to do with Bandai Namco...

Ken's Rage has nothing to do with Bandai Namco...

The point is, Bandai Namco / Tecmo Koei found worthwile releasing those games in the West. Does Square Enix? Because Square Enix has been keeping DQ under the rug for quite some time, leaving in Japan a lot of entries, including some that could sell quite well (DQVII). Also, Dynasty Warriors: Gundam Reborn came on PS3 and digital only, while Fist of the North Star is a hugely popular IP in Europe.

Kikujiro

This is coming, I have no doubt about it, but of course they are not going to announce it in a Taiwanese game show.

duckroll

The point is, Bandai Namco / Tecmo Koei found worthwile releasing those games in the West. Does Square Enix? Because Square Enix has been keeping DQ under the rug for quite some time, leaving in Japan a lot of entries, including some that could sell quite well (DQVII). Also, Dynasty Warriors: Gundam Reborn came on PS3 and digital only, while Fist of the North Star is a hugely popular IP in Europe.

Yes, Square Enix will release this in the west because it will cost very little effort in comparison to localizing RPGs, and action titles have a built in audience regardless of brand. Koei will also push for it, because they have a fanbase for Musou titles in the west.

It's a no brainer really. The fact that they specifically bring it up in a media interview in Japan pretty much seals the deal. These interviews are basically extended PR, not investigative journalism. :p

It'd be a joke if they decided to bring over a DQ Musou, since it'd sell less than most of DQ games ever arrived, rather than a traditional jRPG. DQ fans want a jRPG, not an action game, and the Western fanbase is not as strong as the Japanese one, where they'd buy even DQ toilet paper.

Not really. Musou has a dedicated fan base in the West. DW8 did 300k+ in the West for instance.

Right now the PS4's library is kind of lacking Japanese games but by the end of 2015 it will have plenty of Japanese games. I'm sure the audience will be there like it was eventually on PS3.

Yes, Square Enix will release this in the west because it will cost very little effort in comparison to localizing RPGs, and action titles have a built in audience regardless of brand. Koei will also push for it, because they have a fanbase for Musou titles in the west.

It's a no brainer really. The fact that they specifically bring it up in a media interview in Japan pretty much seals the deal. These interviews are basically extended PR, not investigative journalism. :p

Kind of dumb to keep it secret nonetheless. People like me who will want to import on release are now sitting around with our thumbs up our butts waiting for a localization date which could be many months later after release.

I'm pretty sour about no PSO2, no DBZ collab yet in P&D over here and stuff of that nature. PSO was successful here in the states. DBZ is incredibly popular over here in the states. Yet here we are.

kswiston

I'm pretty sour about no PSO2, no DBZ collab yet in P&D over here and stuff of that nature. PSO was successful here in the states. DBZ is incredibly popular over here in the states. Yet here we are.

This must be a regional licensing thing. We got the EVA and are getting the Fist of the North Star collabs in PAD. Both of those are less popular than DBZ in the west.

Ravage

Sony Taiwan/Asia has been pretty impressive at localisation support.

If only they could extend it over to their western counterparts.

Agreed, SCE Taiwan is the only reason why I'm able to play Shining Resonance now. Not too worried about DQH though, I'm sure Gio Corsi and his TPP team will work out something for the West.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Wait, you into Musou.

I thought you were one of our estranged ROT3K strategy cousins. :p

Both haha.

I'm just a fan of Koei games and any game to do with ROT3K era haha.

Actually I played my first Musou game back in 2002/2003 (DW2) and that got me into the other Musou games + ROTK games + Koei in general.

crinale

Yeah this is pretty much it. The only thing I'm wondering at this point is whether Sony is doing localization like Chinese version or not.

Cmagus

The musuo games generally do fairly well in the west. There is a pretty big fan base for the games and honestly the quality of most of them are actually pretty good.

I'm confident that if the One Piece musuo games (which are really good) can do well then DQ can certainly do good. The One Piece games are JP voiced with text translation so that's always and option. The issue is though would it be enough sales wise for SE.

Indeed, it'd be a bad business decision, in my opinion. DQH won't have find a significant market in the West. Glad to be confuted, of course, since that'd mean more DQ in the West (or probably not).

duckroll

Indeed, it'd be a bad business decision, in my opinion. DQH won't have find a significant market in the West. Glad to be confuted, of course, since that'd mean more DQ in the West (or probably not).

Honestly, you just sound bitter that there's a high chance of a DQ Musou game being localized but DQVII and DQX not being localized. It's fair to say that it will feel unfair to those who just want more DQ RPGs in English, but that doesn't make this a bad business decision at all.

The musuo games generally do fairly well in the west. There is a pretty big fan base for the games and honestly the quality of most of them are actually pretty good.

I'm confident that if the One Piece musuo games (which are really good) can do well then DQ can certainly do good. The One Piece games are JP voiced with text translation so that's always and option. The issue is though would it be enough sales wise for SE.

The thing is Bandai Namco, Tecmo Koei and Square Enix don't have the same expectations.For example Bandai Namco and TK may find 300k in the west a great number for a musou game but SE may find it to low.

Honestly, you just sound bitter that there's a high chance of a DQ Musou game being localized but DQVII and DQX not being localized. It's fair to say that it will feel unfair to those who just want more DQ RPGs in English, but that doesn't make this a bad business decision at all.

1. Square Enix is not new at all to bad business decisions concerning Western markets;
2. I just don't think there's enough audience on PS4 in the West to sustain this kind of game; maybe adding PS3 would be a good move, though its relevance here is fading quickly; also, the comparison with Ken's Rage doesn't really fit being the IP really popular in Europe;
3. I guess any DQ fan would prefer a jRPG over an action game, if that must be choice, also considering the fact that the most recent relevant DQ entry in the West dates back to DQIX in 2010;
4. Square Enix has never been actually satisfied by DQ sales in the West, not even when the game sold 1m units (DQVIII), to the point that the IP was handled by Nintendo for a while; now suddenly the IP starts selling well because of PS4? That's a bit reaching.

The thing is Bandai Namco, Tecmo Koei and Square Enix don't have the same expectations.For example Bandai Namco and TK may find 300k in the west a great number for a musou game but SE may find it to low.

DQH at best would be doing 800k-1 million in Japan. 300k would be a substantial percentage of sales in relation.

Son Of D

Still expecting this to be digital only overseas. At least in NA (I'm basing this on some previous Warriors games being digital only in NA but not EU).

duckroll

4. Square Enix has never been actually satisfied by DQ sales in the West, not even when the game sold 1m units (DQVIII), to the point that the IP was handled by Nintendo for a while; now suddenly the IP starts selling well because of PS4? That's a bit reaching.

This isn't really relevant. Different games have different expectations. This is a collaboration with Koei Tecmo, and the management in Square Enix has also changed substantially over the years. You could also ask why S-E is releasing all the DQ games on Smartphone in English one after another, while still being reluctant to release DQVII on the 3DS. Not sure why you're so fixated on the PS4 in all your posts either. DQ Heroes is a PS3 and PS4 game.

This isn't really relevant. Different games have different expectations. This is a collaboration with Koei Tecmo, and the management in Square Enix has also changed substantially over the years. You could also ask why S-E is releasing all the DQ games on Smartphone in English one after another, while still being reluctant to release DQVII on the 3DS. Not sure why you're so fixated on the PS4 in all your posts either. DQ Heroes is a PS3 and PS4 game.

We will discuss about this again when the game will be released in the West ;)

Top Bottom