• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest VIII announced for 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
This looks better than expected - especially considering it runs on the OG 3DS. Makes you wonder why we dont have more 3DS RPG that look like that.

Hope we get a western announcement soon....very soon.

The colours in the Farebury fields look a bit oversaturated. Or is that just the video? It looks much brighter than in the promo trailer. I know the 3DS version has a generally brighter palette than the PS2 version but that's a bit much. It gets better though in the other footage portions.

Visible enemies confirmed, there are quite a ton of them at once. The Blue chest thing started in DQIX I think? I guess it adds more substance to the overworld but I hope they're not replacement for the traditional red chests. Overall the overworld is less populated with foliage but the visible enemies kind of makes it look livelier in a way.

Shame there's no battle footage there. I wanted to see that in a bit more detail.

This looks better than expected - especially considering it runs on the OG 3DS. Makes you wonder why we dont have more 3DS RPG that look like that..
Most 3DS RPGs are made with very modest sales expectations.

danwu

Banned
This looks better than expected - especially considering it runs on the OG 3DS. Makes you wonder why we dont have more 3DS RPG that look like that.

Hope we get a western announcement soon....very soon.

Yep, DQ 8 on PS2 hasn't aged very well, so it's a relief it looks so much better on the New 3DS. The colours are brighter,richer and warmer in contrast to the dullness of the original.

Dark_castle

Yep, DQ 8 on PS2 hasn't aged very well, so it's a relief it looks so much better on the New 3DS. The colours are brighter,richer and warmer in contrast to the dullness of the original.
What are you talking about? DQ8 is one of the better aged games from PS2 library due to its cel-shaded visuals.

Doczu

Color palette is one thing, but the draw bakcs in other aspects are huge. Just like with MGS3 there is a lot less foliage in the overworld and the textures look worse.
But maybe thanks to this version being portable, with full VA and faster loading times i will be able to finish it. That is, if it comes out in the EU.

danwu

Banned
What are you talking about? DQ8 is one of the better aged games from PS2 library due to its cel-shaded visuals.

Yeah, it does look aged compared to this new 3DS port/ remake. Square has just added new lightning, made it more colourful and it fits better with the overall DQ franchise.

danwu

Banned
Color palette is one thing, but the draw bakcs in other aspects are huge. Just like with MGS3 there is a lot less foliage in the overworld and the textures look worse.
But maybe thanks to this version being portable, with full VA and faster loading times i will be able to finish it. That is, if it comes out in the EU.

Who really cares about foliage and textures when you're playing on a portable ! I certaintly don't and you would hardly miss it, especially with a turn based RPG.

I agree having full VA and faster loading times will make playing the game a pleasure again, plus more save restore points would be good too !

Doczu

Who really cares about foliage and textures when you're playing on a portable ! I certaintly don't and you would hardly miss it, especially with a turn based RPG.

I agree having full VA and faster loading times will make playing the game a pleasure again, plus more save restore points would be good too !

Well i do. Somewhat. The difference isn't 1 or 2 trees, it looks more like they went on a fucking woodcutting rampage during those 10 years.

7fGXPb3.jpg

For someone who hasn't played the original - no problem. For someone who doesn't care - also no problem. But you can't say that the 3DS version looks better.

Just love how it's still not going to be on the platform family it originated on. Vita am cry. :( Hell a PS3/PS4 port wouldn't have been bad either thanks to the art style.

Oregano

Just love how it's still not going to be on the platform family it originated on. Vita am cry. :( Hell a PS3/PS4 port wouldn't have been bad either thanks to the art style.

Oh wow it's like the third time ever a PlayStation game has been remade for a non-Playstation platform!

danwu

Banned
Well i do. Somewhat. The difference isn't 1 or 2 trees, it looks more like they went on a fucking woodcutting rampage during those 10 years.

They've adding visable enemies in the paths instead of having so many trees, much like it is in DQ 9, so it's a good tradeoff especially for a portable game !

Dingens

7fGXPb3.jpg

For someone who hasn't played the original - no problem. For someone who doesn't care - also no problem. But you can't say that the 3DS version looks better.

I guess they wanted to include some kind of environmental message too ;)

Really wish they had shown at least one battle. I wanted to see if the sped that up at all.

Otherwise looks really good. Visual enemy encounters will go a loooooooong way to make exploring less painful in this game.

terrisus

Seeing xenoblade 3ds and then seeing this just makes me think of what could have been

Yeah, it's a shame that Xenoblade 3DS isn't anywhere near as good as Dragon Quest VIII.

It's too bad that Xenoblade didn't take this opportunity to change its encounter/battle system like Dragon Quest did.

Well, I'm happy. Watched that video and this looks like quite a thoughtful port, it's tailor made for 3DS in all the good ways I can think of.

While there are less trees in the overworld, I appreciate how populated it feels because of the monsters. Also: there are loads of tufts of grass everywhere now, which is a neat addition.

It also seems like a lot of the little details that bring the scenes to life, which TOSE removed in the Unity port to iOS/Android, are back: I noticed subtle bloom lighting through windows in indoor scenes, for example.

I'm not too pleased with how oversaturated the overworld looks, though, but as someone pointed out earlier on it brings its look in line with some of the previous games in the series (DQ8's overworld colours do remind me of DQ5 though).

(Excuse second post, meant to cut the text and paste into an edit of the previous post but forgot when I switched tabs)

Yeah, it's a shame that Xenoblade 3DS isn't anywhere near as good as Dragon Quest VIII.

It's too bad that Xenoblade didn't take this opportunity to change its encounter/battle system like Dragon Quest did.

Yeah, I think they focused all their efforts on the technical processes rather than some of the other stuff we'd appreciate. I was surprised at how sloppy the 2D presentation was in Xenoblade (like the HUDs and menus) as well as the rubbish 3D effect. Monster Games did such a great job with DKC Returns that I was almost sure the 3D and HUD would look great.

Playing some of the early gen 3DS software speaks volumes though about the budgets behind some of those handheld games. Even Metal Gear 3D feels like it's on a whole different level. Sure, it runs at 20fps, but a *lot* of effort was put behind making sure all the menus, maps and HUD sung on 3DS's lower res display. All the fonts, even the tiny ones, look fantastic. They don't in X3D.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Well, if Square has a change of heart and decides to improve the game down the road, I'm in. I don't want to play the game with a visual (and I'm sure audio, as well) downgrade. That comparison shot is pretty bad.

Ah, the bloom I mentioned earlier was actually added in for this release, or dialled up compared with the original.

O̶n̶ ̶P̶S̶2̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶d̶e̶t̶a̶i̶l̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶l̶l̶s̶ ̶(̶h̶a̶n̶g̶i̶n̶g̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶s̶u̶c̶h̶)̶.̶ ̶ --> I was wrong, the notes are there:

https://youtu.be/rhJGalo9tqk?t=611
https://youtu.be/m_Sd9HP8njA?t=5

Here's a comparison of *that* bar scene:

3DS: https://youtu.be/rhJGalo9tqk?t=689
PS2: https://youtu.be/m_Sd9HP8njA?t=90

Interesting that they have adjusted the camera angles and levels of zoom on a per-scene basis. Also: it looks like TOSE (or whoever's handling the port) have basically cranked up the brightness on a lot of the textures, it just seems more vivid, a bit like how FFVI was on GBA/iOS/Android Vs. SNES.

Not sure what to think of that -- I'd prefer the game to look like how the designers originally intended.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Come on now. RE0 already got announced a short while ago.

mieumieu

I've played tales of the abyss in full on 3ds and it is good. The jaggies and blurry textures are pretty jarring but loading speed is great.

Will buy it if it comes out in the U.S.

8-4 Play guys teased that Square had a lot of announcements planned at E3. They definitely know what they are, too.

Considering they're a localization house and worked with Square on DQ6, I could see it being tied to localization announcements. I would expect VIII before VII, if that's the case.

Also: it looks like TOSE (or whoever's handling the port) have basically cranked up the brightness on a lot of the textures, it just seems more vivid, a bit like how FFVI was on GBA/iOS/Android Vs. SNES.

Not sure what to think of that -- I'd prefer the game to look like how the designers originally intended.

Could be an artifact of the capture, but most console games are just way too dark to work on handhelds directly. I'm trying to play MGS2 on Vita right now and I'm having a lot of trouble seeing anything half the time when I'm in any amount of sunlight. MGS1 on Vita even became completely unplayable when I went into any vents since the screen was 70% black and the rest dark gray. Even with very bright screens, and the 3DS screen gets brighter than the Vita at max in native games, you're still competing with the sun. It makes sense to brighten games up in order just to make things playable.

Santiako

8-4 Play guys teased that Square had a lot of announcements planned at E3. They definitely know what they are, too.

Considering they're a localization house and worked with Square on DQ6, I could see it being tied to localization announcements. I would expect VIII before VII, if that's the case.

Yeah, VII is most likely a lost cause by now, but I can totally see 8 coming out at some point.

I'd totally buy that. Would be very happy with a DQ8 and Theatrhythm: Dragon Quest duo as far as Square's DQ offerings go. Too early for them to announce DQ Heroes 2 for the west after all.

wrowa

Hm. I'm not sure how I feel about the introduction of visible enemies. I usually welcome this change, but the overworld looks rather sparsely populated. Just judging from that footage, it looks like you can run around enemies way too easily.

Yeah, it's usually a careful balancing act between letting you pick and choose your fights, and using it to space out battles that cannot be avoided, not sure if it's been done right -- I like the random, forced elements to battles in DQ, but I also appreciate having some safety when my party's in danger.

Jobbs

Banned
I'm curious.. I've been wanting to play this game again for a while, but I don't have a PS2 anymore. I just don't know if I want to play it on handheld.

Velcro Fly

VIII is a nice consolation prize I suppose.

I'm a greedy fuck and want both and hey who knows if they localize it and VIII sells really well my hopes might get crushed again :(

Buying it day 1. Charge me $50 if you must. Use the same localization as the PS2 version if that's possible if you must. But give DQ another chance here =/

danwu

Banned
I'm curious.. I've been wanting to play this game again for a while, but I don't have a PS2 anymore. I just don't know if I want to play it on handheld.

It was made by level 5, it retains a lot more of the classic JRPG of the 90's compared to the more modern JRPG like Braverly Default. You should get it if it comes out !

danwu

Banned
Hm. I'm not sure how I feel about the introduction of visible enemies. I usually welcome this change, but the overworld looks rather sparsely populated. Just judging from that footage, it looks like you can run around enemies way too easily.

It's up to the player if they want to fight enemies rather than run away, generally 90% of the time it's easy to run away.
When you're in a dungeon though, you won't be able to avoid them.

Dark_castle

It was made by level 5, it retains a lot more of the classic JRPG of the 90's compared to the more modern JRPG like Braverly Default. You should get it if it comes out !
Bravely Default is a bad example. BD is basically old school JRPG with some modern conveniences.

MLH

It's not even out in Japan, so I don't think it's safe to assume that.

Many of the titles SE shown at E3 aren't out in Japan, why treat DQ differently? Considering that 2016 will most likely be the 3DS' last year. If DQ is coming they should push it now before the market drops off or we'll be in a DQ6 DS sales situation; retailers no longer stocking 3DS games, consumers no longer buying or interested in 3DS games.

It's not even out in Japan, so I don't think it's safe to assume that.
Aeana, doesn't this speak to how poorly DQ is viewed though. A lot of games aren't out in Japan yet, yet they receive western coverage. The fans would've been happy wtih just a mention of the game never mind a trailer etc.

It's so disheartening to see this series treated so poorly when just a shift of expectation and marketing could make all the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom