• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes Online (Wii/WiiU, 2012) [Sub Fee Confirmed]

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Starphoenix said:
Plus I'd wait and see if SquareEnix drops Pay to Play support for the Western audience. Capcom did it with Monster Hunter because they recognized the market is less forgiving outside of Japan. Hopefully Square figures that out.
I don't mind the subscription itself as long as it is certifiably backed up with the best damn support and continued development there is (i.e. Blizzard on WoW - though that's better saved for another thread in another universe). But it seems likely to be dropped because no one would play the game if there was a subscription for a series that is not even held aloft in the best interests of American RPG fans.

Clunker said:
This news is like waking up to hear Christmas has been canceled. Jesus Christ.

That's strange because when I first read the news it felt like Christmas was rescheduled to RIGHT FUCKING NOW with a hint of OMG DRAGON QUEST MMO !!?!?! THIS CANT BE REAL!!! AWESOME

To each their own.

Antagon

speedpop said:
At least GW2 is a one-off payment for the game itself. But yes, there is not much faith in Square Enix when it concerns progression of MMO development. I tried playing FF11 with eyes unclouded a few years ago and it was horrible to control (I'm sure it may have been a great game back in the days of UO dying, EQ ruling the roost, and WoW being buggy as shit) and FF14 is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

If they have done their homework then I will definitely play it. But I'm going to wait for a month or so and let the impressions build up before I take the plunge.

FF11 had some decent mechanics, but completely screwed itself over with the grind, pacing and dependency on parties. That and the pc port was awful. Even after 8 years or so, people still have to edit the registry or use unofficial tools to get a decent resolution.

I love DQ, but man, this is terrible news. If it turns out more like a Guild Wars type game, it might be playable, but hell, I have no interest in paying a monthly fee for an MMO.

I am sorely, sorely disappointed we're not getting a console DQ. And online on the Wii? You've got to be kidding me. It doesn't even have headsets!

UGH

Kyzer

Banned
People act like traditional Dragon Quest is dead forever... We'll probably see DQ11 shortly after this releases.

Okay this has to be raised, so I'll share my 2cents now that things have calmed down a little... Yes, Iwata showed up on stage of all people but I worry about the significance for this huge change in this series and what it means going forward. It breaks all the usual patterns for DQ main numbered releases. I'm worried about this perceived Nintendo hold on DQ exclusivity now that they made such a move to WiiU and hinting at 3DS streetpass.

Please note this is NOT me port begging here, I just want to understand where S-E / Nintendo can take this... I think its a fair question that can be raised here due to the rumors about 6-7 year development cycle and where S-E is taking this DQ game with MMO sub-fees and all.

This game was Wii and now a surprise WiiU for HD graphics enhancements coming after the Wii version, what is to stop Square Enix from opening this game to all platforms 6 months after WiiU to expand cash flow for the MMO subs? Personally as a Nintendo fan I would not hold my breath I see a bigger ambition here. We can wait for a stupid meltdown thread about this next year or look at the hints of the business model S-E is working with here.

Or it could be a sign that Nintendo is a major player behind this step.
Can Iwata point to this as Nintendo's commitment to Online success with this as a flagship title? If it can stay exclusive, I think so if they can also bring it over to EU and NA regions. (Something Online and Fee Based on a Nintendo System) <-- for 3rd Parties looking at Nintendo's plans that could be a huge selling point.

You can look at this title two ways SUPER AMBITIOUS or SENT OUT TO DIE.

One leaves many questions the other is WTF?

I'm kinda shocked more DQ fans are not loving a DQ MMO are DQ fans so much above WOW fans? Or are MMOs just a dead thing?

So what do you guys think is this

A) An Open MMO in a few years = multiplatform all working/playing together? (Cats and Dogs luv luv for the DQ fans)

B) A Square Enix's Nintendo exclusive closed system MMO = Using Wii / WiiU and 3DS for years to come with updates and patches. (Nintendo money backing and support)

stilgar

Smiles and Cries said:
Or it could be a sign that Nintendo is a major player behind this step.
Can Iwata point to this as Nintendo's commitment to Online success with this as a flagship title? If it can stay exclusive, I think so if they can also bring it over to EU and NA regions. (Something Online and Fee Based on a Nintendo System) <-- for 3rd Parties looking at Nintendo's plans that could be a huge selling point.

For me it has to be this: releasing a MMORPG for the first time on a Nintendo console cannot be done without some strong, very strong discussions on what will be the future Nintendo's online strategy. Or they're all insane. And Dark Splorgenborg times are ahead.

mclem

ElTopo said:
How about contracts between Nintendo and SE ? How about the fact that it's not trivial to get different consoles to work with each other ?

Strictly speaking, in an MMO environment they don't need to work with each other, they just need to all work with the same servers.

That said, it's not trivial to get console *companies* to work with each other!

herod

I simply can't imagine how an MMO fits with the Wii at all. The Wii is a family TV console through-and-through. How does that fit with endless hours of fetch quests and grinding?

mclem

The thing about MMOs that hasn't really been touched upon - the factor they absolutely thrive on, the thing that the majority of the sub fee should pay for (I think moreso than servers/bandwidth, although I've not seen the breakdown) is a consistent fresh injection of new content - and ideally, fresh *storyline* content. That's something that will be new and interesting for the DQ line if they pull it off, but a continual supply of grottoes doesn't quite cut it.

Mafro

herod said:
I simply can't imagine how an MMO fits with the Wii at all. The Wii is a family TV console through-and-through. How does that fit with endless hours of fetch quests and grinding?
Same could be said for PCs in an office environment.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
a console exclusive MMO, one known for its perpetually lacking grasp of online, just seems like either hubris or madness. I guess if Nintendo paid for this, then its a done deal but really this should be the end of Wada and the current decision makers careers at SE to have even taken that deal. Combined with the confusing 'better' Wii-U version eventually information, its just confusion coming out of these two japanese heavyweight camps recently.

The west still hasnt even seen the first Toriyama designed MMO over here yet either, Dragonball Online, even though it looked pretty nifty.

Zalasta

Don't really have an issue with DQ going online, but it's like they don't want it to succeed outside of Japan putting a MMO on the Wii.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
As many have said, the main problem with this is not the online in itself, the problem is that the game will probably be not character driven, as have been the best DQ games (IV, V, VI, VII, even II and some DQ Monsters games IIRC).

Even though IX and III have 'some' story about the main character, it is lacking, the main character lacks personality, and the supporting characters are just there, which is very boring.

So if we are going to play with a no name character with no background and little motivation story-wise to advance in the game, then I would say that it will not be a decent DQ game.

There are many advancements that are very welcome to the series (and to jRPGs in general), like no random battles and no battle screens, and they also include some of the advancements of DQIX.

thefil

manueldelalas said:
As many have said, the main problem with this is not the online in itself, the problem is that the game will probably be not character driven, as have been the best DQ games (IV, V, VI, VII, even II and some DQ Monsters games IIRC).

Even though IX and III have 'some' story about the main character, it is lacking, the main character lacks personality, and the supporting characters are just there, which is very boring.

So if we are going to play with a no name character with no background and little motivation story-wise to advance in the game, then I would say that it will not be a decent DQ game.

There are many advancements that are very welcome to the series (and to jRPGs in general), like no random battles and no battle screens, and they also include some of the advancements of DQIX.

I came in to post this. DQ is fun to play, but it is nothing special without the characters. For this reason I could not find entertainment in DQ9 even after 20+ hours.

stilgar said:
For me it has to be this: releasing a MMORPG for the first time on a Nintendo console cannot be done without some strong, very strong discussions on what will be the future Nintendo's online strategy. Or they're all insane. And Dark Splorgenborg times are ahead.

yeah, that would make the most sense and less risk too I think

ElTopo said:
How about contracts between Nintendo and SE ? How about the fact that it's not trivial to get different consoles to work with each other ?

Honestly though I don't really quite see your point. What's your argument ? It's an MMO and thus should be on other platforms because something something cashflow ? That it's bad that it's a Nintendo exclusive ? I also don't quite see why if this game was a success it would be a sign to other companies. It's Dragon Quest - if it succeeds, it's gonna indicate what ? That a big budget 3rd party title with lots of work put into it and help by Nintendo based on a huge franchise can work ? Well duh...

My post... which was more asking and thinking about the issue out in the thread than force feeding others a point.

Whoa dude, if you did not understand my line of thinking just ignore me, no need to be so hard on the edge about it. Trying to make me look stupid by saying absolutely nothing really does not impress much.

If this game bombs on a Nintendo platform the first thing people will say is NINTENDO Online solutions still suck, still challenging. Why do you think so many people are saying/posting since the rumors of an MMO - "MMO on a Nintendo Platform?" No one really thinks Nintendo Online support can be any good. Nintendo had many years to drill this into its fans (Me!) This is a make it or break it game of whatever Nintendo had planned to show off on WiiU for Online even if its from a 3rd Party everyone in the industry will be watching how it does. No matter what Iwata or Reggie says about Nintendo's New Online until a 3rd Party (NOT 1st Party) can CASH in on it no one will support it as heavily as they would on other proven platforms. Or at least platforms that do not have such a poor online support reputation.

And its not Dragon Quest, not after the reaction its been getting not from half the diehard DQ fans, not until they play it and love it. Many of them just hate the whole idea. If this game is a success its not going to be because its a huge franchise alone. Even if the Servers are owned and run by Square Enix by this time next year if the servers crash for a few hours guess who will be blamed on GAF? NINTENDO!

So with all that I can see why Square Enix may not want to put all its eggs in one Nintendo DQ ONLINE basket. This is the first time a numbered DQ game has been announced for a hardware that has not even hit the stores yet. So I am wondering how far will S-E want to stretch this game to give it a fighting chance?

This is a great test for NINTENDO ONLINE SUPPORT because its a huge 3rd Party game.

:|

Regardless DAY 1 for me on WiiU (NOA version)

speedpop said:
At least GW2 is a one-off payment for the game itself. But yes, there is not much faith in Square Enix when it concerns progression of MMO development. I tried playing FF11 with eyes unclouded a few years ago and it was horrible to control (I'm sure it may have been a great game back in the days of UO dying, EQ ruling the roost, and WoW being buggy as shit) and FF14 is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

If they have done their homework then I will definitely play it. But I'm going to wait for a month or so and let the impressions build up before I take the plunge.
FFXI had been out quite a while before WoW hit retail, and yes it was manageable for a while, but buggy or not WoW completely changed the game in terms of friendliness, usability, etc. The games were literally so far apart that playing WoW the first day after coming off a couple hours of XI was like day and night. Hard to look at going back to an SE driven MMO that has a strong case for being very similar to XI in nature.

A subscription fee is absurd, regardless. A death knell from Day One.

Cipherr

manueldelalas said:

That is rather sad. This is a pretty damn excellent post. Much better than the crying and whining and raging, makes a really clear point. Characters with their own story and background DIES with the move to MMO. Absolutely dies. Theres no way they can maintain that, so if that was a major draw for you, this transition must be heartbreaking.

ElTopo said:
Didn't mean to come off aggressive/harsh, sorry about that. The thing that might've put me off was the comment/question regarding SE releasing the game for all platforms, as that struck me as a pretty bad move for obvious reasons (much worse than switching platforms during early development) and your worry that it might be a Nintendo-exclusive series for now. I apparently interpreted your intention/you wrong, sorry.

I understand the importance of this game to the customers and Nintendo's image to them, I'm just not sure a success would have such a tremendous effect - the naysayers will just claim it's because of Nintendo's promotion, because SE did the online (true or not) or because it's a huge franchise. A failure however - as you correctly stated - would be pretty bad.

Let's put it like this: If this game succeeds it doesn't prove that Nintendo's online is good/works and it won't silence the critics, but if it flops even remotely it could have a huge backlash. Nintendo better not screw this up.

Agreed... This kinda reminds me of that unbreakable "Kiddy" image... maybe the harm is way too deep it may need more than just a few 3rd Party Online games and still may never live down that rep

I would like to see how the paid system works first, if you have to access a Square Enix website first before you can pay or a special DQX Wii Channel on you Wii menu to do this with a few clicks. If this game stays Japan ONLY for years or we get a worldwide release within 8 months. And the move the the WiiU has to be something more than a Wii Channel menu thing.

Yeah this is going to be interesting

sorry I was not clear enough

Cipherr said:
That is rather sad. This is a pretty damn excellent post. Much better than the crying and whining and raging, makes a really clear point. Characters with their own story and background DIES with the move to MMO. Absolutely dies. Theres no way they can maintain that, so if that was a major draw for you, this transition must be heartbreaking.

true 5 Tribes = :( generic characters cannot go as deep as I would want
They really really need a single player game attached I don't really see a real DQ here
An MMO with DQ is still awesome to me I just wish it was a side story not the main game being changed this extreme

Still some of you guys make it sound like they turned Dragon Quest Swords into the main DQ I'm hoping the MMO can still be pretty deep in ways that MMOs tell stories

Cipherr said:
Enjoyable gameplay can die as well. That's just a lot more opinionated than loss of character / interactions.

While I do love Dragon Quest, I really hate the direction of being a MMO.

But hey, like usuall its just Wada killing one franchise after another, milking them dry.

_PsiFire_

First and foremost, here's hoping that this is a good MMO for the Japan region.

The WiiU controller really is the perfect controller for this type of game when you think about it. One thing that's always certain about a MMO (if it's good, that is) is that people can get addicted to playing them. People will be playing this game like crack on their WiiU controllers' while other family members are watching TV.

Pie and Beans said:
a console exclusive MMO, one known for its perpetually lacking grasp of online, just seems like either hubris or madness.
Whether Nintendo is known for online gaming or dog food is pretty irrelevant--merely that WiFi is now standard puts everything in a better state than PS2 had it when FF XI launched.
Combined with the confusing 'better' Wii-U version eventually information, its just confusion coming out of these two japanese heavyweight camps recently.
I don't see what's so confusing about it? They want it to sell on both platforms, and think they'll need to improve things by more than resolution to make the Wii U version not stick out like a sore thumb on the platform.

Jump summery:
-game also has a sixth race, humans
- game involves solving a mystery involving the human world
- "Has something happened in the world of humans?"
- the world of Astoldia is split into four continents, Ogleed, Eltona, Dwachakka, Pukuland, and one island chain, Wena Islands
- these five areas surround a mysterious area where something seems to be amiss
- the central area may be the human world

Via WentNintendo

I was away on vacation and come back to THIS? This is truly horrible news in a lot of ways. This is absolutely the worst possible direction to take the series for the fans of the previous games. I also hate the idea of subscription fees in games even if I did like the direction.
Just terrible news dropping everywhere.

salromano

New screenshots and plenty of custom character renders:

http://gematsu.com/2011/09/new-dragon-quest-x-screenshots

0179A.jpg

Spells in this screenshot (I think): Koudeki, Jyumon, Tokudi, Toudu, Sakusen

Don't ask me what they mean. I'm not the guy.

Aeana

The screenshots show Dharma Temple (..."Alltrades Abbey") and some new spells which I would love to learn about.
But man, if the game comes out in English, it will need a new UI because the English isn't going to fit.

Emitan

Dragon-Quest-X-Rise-of-the-Five-Tribes-Online_2011_09-29-11_007.jpg

Totally playing Wedi thief/monk/whatever.

I wonder if Square might radically change the interface for western audiences. I'm fine with DQ's menus but I wonder if they'd make it more WoW like to please western MMO players.

I'd really love this game to not be awful, but even a few weeks later I still think its going to be, probably because no eastern MMO has been fun. Well, Aion, but that was a direct clone, and it still lost me after a month or so.

Still the areas look nice at least.

adroit

If this game isn't released in North America I'm really going to be annoyed by the amount of time I've spent reading about it. :)

It has two huge strikes against it: MMO and RPG. Neither genre is exactly setting houses on fire in America these days. We can't even get Nintendo to release Xenoblade. What if Xenoblade had required an online subscription to play 80% of the game? Yeah...no. Reggie would have embellished the word "no" with the F-bomb. In a press release. Read live on national television. During prime time. With his parents in the audience standing on stage beside him.

Just call me Mr. Optimism.

Top Bottom