• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI in production

i think dqxi would sell well on ps3 in japan, which is what's important. hard to say what the split between 3ds and ps3 would be in that situation, but i'd guess 4m wouldn't be unreasonable.

but if they're doing it to garner better sales in the west, it needs to be a real breakout style game. because if 1m wasn't good enough, then it should probably sell above 2m or more to make the exercise worth it. if that's the case, we're looking at 2016 or 2017 and trying to sell a big major ps3 game in the west. the ps3, which has seen sales nosedive in the us since the introduction of the ps4.

it's really hard to make an argument for a console/handheld release unless square enix is forcing armor to do it.

You gotta remember though Nintendo handled localization and marketing for DQ IX out west. Rumor was they had a choice between localizing DQ7 and BD and went with BD but its possible they'll handle DQ IX once again now that BD has passed which would mean 3DS. SE hasnt really bothered with DQ in the west and I doubt Sony would pick up were Nintendo left off.

and we as a society ignore those people for they are wrong.

You can ignore them. However as much as we want to deny it, graphics play a huge part in how people experience video games.

Its easier if you've had experience with previous DQ games before, but if DQ8 was your first game then I think its an understandable opinion albeit inaccurate.

Why would X be out of the list?

Nothing major though.

1. Dragon Quest will return to Playstation. This doesn't mean it's exclusive. Discussions at the moment.

1) He say s doesn't mean exclusive, weird to say if it was DQX because that much would be obvious.

2) DQX was money hatted by Nintendo.

KtSlime

Well wasn't one of our insiders claiming that there where plans for a DQ on PS4?

I guess X is out of the list, so maybe we're getting XI...

If there ever was going to be a DQ for PS4, the most likely candidate would be X, as it has seen the most release platforms, will be the longest running, and needs a platform with good Internet connectivity.

AniHawk

You can ignore them. However as much as we want to deny it, graphics play a huge part in how people experience video games.

well yeah, and i won't pretend like the difference in presentation was a deciding factor in me not picking up dqix (although that had more to do with the characters/story which i found endearing in viii and are supposedly absent in ix). it's still pretty dumb to say one thing is not a real thing, and mean it, when it's obviously a real thing because it's literally a real thing.

You gotta remember though Nintendo handled localization and marketing for DQ IX out west. Rumor was they had a choice between localizing DQ7 and BD and went with BD but its possible they'll handle DQ IX once again now that BD has passed which would mean 3DS. SE hasnt really bothered with DQ in the west and I doubt Sony would pick up were Nintendo left off.

this was a rumor that was later ruled as not true. but i wouldn't rule out dqvii just yet. the problem with that game is that it is very gigantic, and s-e probably won't be using the same script they used nearly 15 years ago.

Philippo

Forgot about the multiplatform bit, so maybe PS3/PS4 in Japan (with thefirst being a port and the latter being the main platform) to avoid the risk of low sales, and PS4-only in the West?

I dunno, just throwing random/hopeful guesses...

Soriku

1) He say s doesn't mean exclusive, weird to say if it was DQX because that much would be obvious.

2) DQX was money hatted by Nintendo.

That's a vague statement and can still be applied to DQ X, obvious or not.

Also there's a PC version of DQ X (as well as a smartphone version playable that streams from the PC one). I wouldn't rule out any other versions yet.

Well other than the fact that's already quite old, if we haven't got it yet i doubt we ever will.
SE seems happy enough in the west with just FFXIV.

It's not that old and Verendus' comment doesn't have to apply to the West.

Forgot about the multiplatform bit, so maybe PS3/PS4 in Japan (with thefirst being a port and the latter being the main platform) to avoid the risk of low sales, and PS4-only in the West?

I dunno, just throwing random/hopeful guesses...

It would be the other way around. If they developed it for PS4 mainly, I don't see them getting it on PS3.

Still, does anyone genuinely believe PS3 has a shot at getting it this late in the game? Persona 5 sure, but DQ XI?

That's a vague statement and can still be applied to DQ X, obvious or not.

Also there's a PC version of DQ X (as well as a smartphone version playable that streams from the PC one). I wouldn't rule out any other versions yet.

It's not that old and Verendus' comment doesn't have to apply to the West.

Yeah its vague but I am sure that was the intent of the poster. I don't see how that could be applied to DQX though considering its already on the Wii and WiiU.

So what did Nintendo only pay for timed exclusivity for DQX? I don't understand why they did that for DQX, it was a stupid decision. It got outsold by muramasa (W1 iirc) and hardly helped the WiiU.

Oregano

Yeah its vague but I am sure that was the intent of the poster. I don't see how that could be applied to DQX though considering its already on the Wii and WiiU.

So what did Nintendo only pay for timed exclusivity for DQX? I don't understand why they did that for DQX, it was a stupid decision. It got outsold by muramasa (W1 iirc) and hardly helped the WiiU.

Why do you assume they paid? It was in development for Wii when it was dominating and a Wii U version is just a no brainer, added bonus for SE.

Why do you assume they paid? It was in development for Wii when it was dominating and a Wii U version is just a no brainer, added bonus for SE.

Come on, its obvious. WiiU version no brainer lol in what universe is that the case? No PS3 SKU despite having almost 10 times the install base of WiiU, better software sales and obviously being able to handle the game.....yeah it was clearly money hatted.

clem84

Gold Member
It's been 14 months since the DQ7 3DS remake launched in Japan. What are the odds of the west getting the game now? I'd say slim to non-existent. DQX is also a goner. If they had any intentions of bringing that game over they would have done so by now.

After those 2 games, I can find no reasons why we'd get any future DQ games in the west. SE obviously thinks the franchise isn't profitable enough outside Japan.

KtSlime

Come on, its obvious. WiiU version no brainer lol in what universe is that the case? No PS3 SKU despite having almost 10 times the install base of WiiU, better software sales and obviously being able to handle the game.....yeah it was clearly money hatted.

There are 10 times the PS3s as there are Wiis in Japan? This is news to me.

Edit: Ah you said WiiU. Probably, but which do you think is easier/cheaper to port?

The most logical choice is a 3DS game, so my money's on that. It's got the biggest install base in Japan, and is home to several Dragon Quest titles already. It's also the platform whose owner might be interested in helping with the localisation and marketing.

I still have hopes for an English release of the DQ7 remake though. It's a huge game, so I'm blaming the radio-license on that title on the scale of the localisation. Dragon Quest 10 we can safely give up on though.

I really hope we will have real party members this time...2 games in a row with no real characters in your party is a bit too much for me.

Oregano

Porting Wii game to the Wii U is probably easier, it was probably easier to have cross platform play and because they were able to provide a discount to owners of the Wii version they could convince more people to double dip. They may have plans to expand to Sony systems but it is quicker and easier to exoand to Wii U first.

Also using that logic Sony has moneyhatted 90% of the Vita's lineup. It's just dumb.

Porting Wii game to the Wii U is probably easier, it was probably easier to have cross platform play and because they were able to provide a discount to owners of the Wii version they could convince more people to double dip. They may have plans to expand to Sony systems but it is quicker and easier to exoand to Wii U first.

Also using that logic Sony has moneyhatted 90% of the Vita's lineup. It's just dumb.

Wii to WiiU is easier? I've never heard of this. Even if it is a port on PS3 would not be taking so long (over a year) and would definitely sell magnitudes better than the WiiU SKU. Its a no brainer.

Your logic is hugely flawed. The difference is with the Vita 100% of the games are small franchises or relatively niche.

DQ is a mega franchise. When you see a mega franchise skipping the most popular home console (or 2nd most popular) for a console with abysmal sales its clear someone has been handed a cheque.

Mozendo

Wow, it's like you didn't even read the post at all.

Oregano

Wii to WiiU is easier? I've never heard of this. Even if it is a port on PS3 would not be taking so long (over a year) and would definitely sell magnitudes better than the WiiU SKU. Its a no brainer.

Your logic is hugely flawed. The difference is with the Vita 100% of the games are small franchises or relatively niche.

DQ is a mega franchise. When you see a mega franchise skipping the most popular home console (or 2nd most popular) for a console with abysmal sales its clear someone has been handed a cheque.

Of course Wii to Wii U would be easier. They have the same CPU architecture for one thing.

They have also released the game to the PC since then and given it a major update. It is possible they considered those more important. How long has it taken FFXIV to come to PS3 and then PS4? It didn't happen overnight.

When the game was announced for Wii U it hadn't been released yet and they probably expected more from it.

I'd like to see evidence for a PS3 release selling magnitudes better as well. DQX had a high amount of digital sales due to the upgrade promotion and the second release showed stronger sales for Wii U. It's not like FFXIV did amazing on PS3, and that was its first console release.

Of course Wii to Wii U would be easier. They have the same CPU architecture for one thing.

They have also released the game to the PC since then and given it a major update. It is possible they considered those more important. How long has it taken FFXIV to come to PS3 and then PS4? It didn't happen overnight.

When the game was announced for Wii U it hadn't been released yet and they probably expected more from it.

I'd like to see evidence for a PS3 release selling magnitudes better as well. DQX had a high amount of digital sales due to the upgrade promotion and the second release showed stronger sales for Wii U. It's not like FFXIV did amazing on PS3, and that was its first console release.

It took 6 months for FF14 to come and was announced way earlier. The fact that WiiU wasn't even out makes it ever weirder. The restriction to one platform with minuscule install base while ignoring an equally powerful platform with a large install base is absurd.

FF14 did 200k+ and DQ is a larger IP. I doubt it would sell better now though, its been way too long.

AniHawk

It took 6 months for FF14 to come and was announced way earlier. The fact that WiiU wasn't even out makes it ever weirder. The restriction to one platform with minuscule install base while ignoring an equally powerful platform with a large install base is absurd.

FF14 did 200k+ and DQ is a larger IP. I doubt it would sell better now though, its been way too long.

maybe they felt, oddly, that a port to the ps3 would limit themselves moving forward because the system was on the decline, where the wii u was at least backwards compatible with the wii, and upgrades were possible.

maybe they felt, oddly, that a port to the ps3 would limit themselves moving forward because the system was on the decline, where the wii u was at least backwards compatible with the wii, and upgrades were possible.

Most systems "decline" after 3 years, that doesn't mean they stop selling, that doesn't negate their large install bases and so their software sales. SE have supported the PS3 quite well in the last few years with, LR, FFX HD, Drakengard 3, KH 1.5, KH 2.5 and FF14; its clearly a platform SE continues to develop for.

These Wii-WiiU statements have zero hold when you realise theres a PC SKU that they could have ported. Its an obvious money hat.

KiTA

“Huh? For [Dragon Quest] X? Well, actually, I’m not sure if I’m allowed to say this… but I’m working on the next one,” teased Horii.

Couldn't he have been talking about DQX's second expansion?

cafemomo

SE have supported the PS3 quite well in the last few years with, LR, FFX HD, Drakengard 3, KH 1.5, KH 2.5 and FF14; its clearly a platform SE continues to develop for.

Of course, the majority of their fanbase is there.

I do see DQX going to the PS3 though, regardless of moneyhatting or not. Nintendo won't have the franchise within their grips forever

rpmurphy

Most systems "decline" after 3 years, that doesn't mean they stop selling, that doesn't negate their large install bases and so their software sales. SE have supported the PS3 quite well in the last few years with, LR, FFX HD, Drakengard 3, KH 1.5, KH 2.5 and FF14; its clearly a platform SE continues to develop for.

These Wii-WiiU statements have zero hold when you realise theres a PC SKU that they could have ported. Its an obvious money hat.
The PC/mobile versions came later. Wii and then Wii U versions came out first.

It's not to say that a PS3 port of the Wii game couldn't have happened, but that was generally rare last generation.

GunBR

Obviously 3DS

It's the bigger installed base in Japan, and S-E isn't gonna care about the western market. DQ always get 90% of the total sales in Japan anyway.

Hopefully we actually get this one.

tumblr_m4v3rrxg4L1qecgax.gif

Wait, why? I thought 9 did well for them in sales. Ten is an MMO so I'm not surprised that didn't come out here, but if this is another proper entry I'm sure we'll see it! Right?...

Nintendo pubished it in the west and advertised it. If they chose to do the same again (assuming of course it is on 3DS which is likely), we may have a localization...
Square saw the good results of Bravely defalts, I think it is a possibility we get DQ7 3DS this year, so I hope we will have DQ XI.

sörine

Banned
It's about as obviously clearly moneyhatted as Sony's obvious clear moneyhat for FFXIV console exclusivity.

Fraxin

sörine;109847608 said:
It's about as obviously clearly moneyhatted as Sony's obvious clear moneyhat for FFXIV console exclusivity.

Was that due to Sony moneyhatting? Or was it cause of the restrictions from Microsoft?

Aeana

Was that due to Sony moneyhatting? Or was it cause of the restrictions from Microsoft?

It's due to Microsoft restrictions. FF14 was in development for 360, I personally saw it running on 360 (back when it was called Rapture). But they had a disagreement with MS so that version was canned.

sörine;109849543 said:
Both suggestions are wrong. Because both are based on nothing really. That was the point.

No.

We know the situation with FF14.

We do not know the situation with DQX explicity however we can infer, and I think Nintendo money hatting it has the highest probability.

It's due to Microsoft restrictions. FF14 was in development for 360, I personally saw it running on 360 (back when it was called Rapture). But they had a disagreement with MS so that version was canned.

Yeah I think Square even admitted it years ago, before 1.0 even came out, if I recall.

jeremy1456

Do you think Sony would have allowed cross console play on a PS3 version? Well, you'll probably say yes just because you like to argue, but no, with their policies and history it's pretty evident that this would not have worked.

A PS3 version simply wouldn't make that much sense, and I think deep down you have to realize that the Wii U version wasn't money hatted.

You are just taking far fetched wildly speculative standpoints (that don't make a ton of sense to me) and digging your heels in.

sörine

Banned
No.

We know the situation with FF14.

We do not know the situation with DQX explicity however we can infer, and I think Nintendo money hatting it has the highest probability.
DQX is a Wii game. That decision was made a long time ago and Wii still seemed to be the best platform for DQ's target audience when it came time to release. As evidenced by the 650k it already sold on Wii.

Nintendo moneyhats are a pretty low probability because an MMO that's already done most of it's business just isn't worth moneyhatting for console only exclusivity. Wii is done selling and this isn't the sort of game that's going to sell Wii U systems. There's no real reason for Nintendo to moneyhat so why would they?

If it was moneyhatted it probably wouldn't be on PC or Android and Nintendo probably would've thrown promotional money and a worldwide publishing deal at it. None of that happened so why is it so obviously clear it was moneyhatted again? Where's the inference? Simply because it's not on PS3 it must be moneyhatted?

Arzehn

Guessing we'll see it at this years TGS.

Do you think Sony would have allowed cross console play on a PS3 version? Well, you'll probably say yes just because you like to argue, but no, with their policies and history it's pretty evident that this would not have worked.

A PS3 version simply wouldn't make that much sense, and I think deep down you have to realize that the Wii U version wasn't money hatted.

You are just taking far fetched wildly speculative standpoints (that don't make a ton of sense to me) and digging your heels in.

What? Sony has been accepting of cross-platform play for a while now. It's just that Microsoft hasn't. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...to-microsoft-not-allowing-cross-platform-play

jeremy1456

Guessing we'll see it at this years TGS.

What? Sony has been accepting of cross-platform play for a while now. It's just that Microsoft hasn't. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...to-microsoft-not-allowing-cross-platform-play

Besides FFXI and XIV what other games have been cross-platform for their system?

Can any PlayStation version of CoD play online with the PC or Wii U versions? Nintendo also said they're open to cross platform stuff, so why aren't Activision cashing in on this?

sörine

Banned
PC cross platform play is a little different. It's not as direct competition as another game console.
PC is fine but I don't know if Sony allows it or not with other closed platforms? Voofoo tried with Pure Chess on PS3/PS4/Vita but couldn't make it happen. iOS/Android/3DS/Wii U are all cross-platform online though and they said Nintendo was surprisingly open about it.

Top Bottom