• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI in production

Robin64

I actually got stuck in the game cause I tried skipping making fill-in party members.

Oddly, I had an experience like that. I didn't actually even realise I could just make the second, third and fourth party members, so went solo for a large chunk. It started to get really hard and I just had no idea why.

Your PCSX2 settings, what are they?

Thats not from my PC but this video seems to run it like that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzzpa0PPaF4

While I really like the game, having to create your own generic party members (cause let's face it, who the hell are you gonna streetpass with the game?) was kinda off-putting. I actually got stuck in the game cause I tried skipping making fill-in party members.

I definitely need to go back and start over, and absolutely not go solo with just one character this time. Cause, really, everything else about the game was so incredibly adorable and charming. The music, atmosphere, even the simple loosely connected stories. (The latter btw was also a big turn off for some fans that expected a normal, big story driven campaign.)

I agree. I rather have a great cast of characters each with their own little quirks to discover as the game progresses.

rpmurphy

While I really like the game, having to create your own generic party members (cause let's face it, who the hell are you gonna streetpass with the game?) was kinda off-putting. I actually got stuck in the game cause I tried skipping making fill-in party members.
Before there was the 3DS and StreetPass which made it much easier for these kinds of things, there were the various Best Buy events for the connectivity features of the game, and I "organized" an meetup in my city as well (via the GameFAQs DQIX board). It was kind of fun.

Before there was the 3DS and StreetPass which made things much easier for these kinds of things, there were the various Best Buy events for the connectivity features of the game, and I "organized" an meetup in my city as well (via the GameFAQs DQIX board). It was kind of fun.

I think they could do a lot of cool suff over the Internet with DQ 11 .

Bravely Default had some really awesome ideas that could be expanded.

Megatron

With the Vita doing better in Japan I have actual hope that we'll get a simul-release, Vita and 3DS as we've seen some games doing. Come on Square!

Oddly, I had an experience like that. I didn't actually even realise I could just make the second, third and fourth party members, so went solo for a large chunk. It started to get really hard and I just had no idea why.

Lol yeah, I kinda remember the game making it seem like it was just an optional thing. (Of course it probably assumes you'll just pass others if you don't make your own.)

Thats not from my PC but this video seems to run it like that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzzpa0PPaF4

I agree. I rather have a great cast of characters each with their own little quirks to discover as the game progresses.

Hopefully they won't do that again. You can make neat looking characters with cool stats but that's not gonna be enough if they don't have personality or partake in the story. Between the absent cast and minimal plot, the game felt like a jarring regression to VIII fans. So I totally get the backlash towards it. I think of it as more of a cute, small-scale charming little game though as opposed to the big bad sequel to DQVIII so I guess that helps when I play it...

Before there was the 3DS and StreetPass which made it much easier for these kinds of things, there were the various Best Buy events for the connectivity features of the game, and I "organized" an meetup in my city as well (via the GameFAQs DQIX board). It was kind of fun.

Oh I'm sure that must have been awesome. I picked it up the game pretty late, so I think whatever spread out players the game had here, they had mostly moved on.

jeremy1456

With the Vita doing better in Japan I have actual hope that we'll get a simul-release, Vita and 3DS as we've seen some games doing. Come on Square!

With the way the franchise is almost always handled it will be only one platform.

The PSP was doing phenomenally and they never ported IX.

I'm almost positive it will be a 3DS exclusive. Hori wants to target the biggest install base so less fans have to buy the hardware, and they've already built the fan base up on the 3DS.

I would expect it on the Wii U before Vita, because at least the Wii U already has a DQ game.

With the way the franchise is almost always handled it will be only one platform.

The PSP was doing phenomenally and they never ported IX.

I'm almost positive it will be a 3DS exclusive. Hori wants to target the biggest install base so less fans have to buy the hardware, and they've already built the fan base up on the 3DS.

I would expect it on the Wii U before Vita, because at least the Wii U already has a DQ game.

The need for a more multiplatform approach to Dragon Quest has been expressed already, though.

With the way the market is now, and with sentiments like that expressed I don't think past precedence holds as much argumentative power as it once did.

rpmurphy

I think they could do a lot of cool suff over the Internet with DQ 11 .

Bravely Default had some really awesome ideas that could be expanded.
Yeah, a lot of the ideas transferred over to having it done on the online space instead, which is much more convenient for people.

But still, I think I would like it if there were some aspects of the game that are tied to local interaction. It was just cool to meet a mix people all playing the game -- RPG gamers, old and new DQ fans -- come together and spending a few hours doing stuff like exchanging passes, going into co-op to help beat a boss, teaming up for grotto hunting, and just chatting about the game and the series. I would want to do it again if DQXI had stuff like that to do.

Robin64

Thing is, they've made a Dragon Quest that works really well over the net in the form of Dragon Quest X. You'd think they'd try and get it out here and somehow get it to ride on the success of FFXIV. Heck, make the subscription cover both games.

jeremy1456

I also imagine that the incentive to let Nintendo market the games in the West is a huge incentive. Look at how much IX sold.

If it was multiplatform I imagine it would be 3DS and Wii U.

I also imagine that the incentive to let Nintendo market the games in the West is a huge incentive. Look at how much IX sold.

If it was multiplatform I imagine it would be 3DS and Wii U.

More like 3DS,PS3. WiiU is dead, don't see why ti would come to that, at least exclusively. I mean if there was a console port, I would imagine PS3 would be the first candidate.

jeremy1456

More like 3DS,PS3. WiiU is dead, don't see why ti would come to that, at least exclusively. I mean if there was a console port, I would imagine PS3 would be the first candidate.

Wii U might be dead, but putting it on PS3 would stop Nintendo from taking the marketing reigns in the West. I never said it would come to Wii U exclusively, rather, if it's going multiplatform that's the best bet for a port.

I genuinely think it will be 3DS exclusive. I'm almost positive.

bon

If it's for 3DS (which it almost certainly is), my only concern is that there will be a big focus on multiplayer and social features, and I think that kind of stuff weighed DQ9 down.

Oregano

A port to mobile after a year or two is still multiplatform. DQX was Wii exclusive at launch and has only expanded to Wii U, PC and that Docomo thing. I think people are letting the multiplatform statement get to their heads.

jeremy1456

If it's for 3DS (which it almost certainly is), my only concern is that there will be a big focus on multiplayer and social features, and I think that kind of stuff weighed DQ9 down.

It was still a full fledged Dragon Quest game even if you never used those features. It was much more old school than 8, and I liked it better actually.

I think 8 kind of gave people the wrong impression of the series. It felt streamlined.

Famassu

I could be wrong, but I thought Yuji Hori had control over where new installments in the franchise go.
His say is to always have the mainline DQ on the most successful platform, which isn't something that the higher-ups are going to protest too much about, especially in the past when development was cheaper and a game released on one platform could (more) easily be profitable. If, say, he had tried to make DQVIII for GameCube, I doubt anyone would have let him.

Thing is, nowadays 3DS is the lowest common denominator as far as current-gen gaming tech goes, but development budgets of big budget games like DQ even on the worst hardware are probably starting to be really high, so they might be figuring out whether they want to develop an expensive 3DS exclusive game and be hugely successful in Japan but less so outside Japan or maybe make a PS4/Xbone/PC multiplatform that could be way more successful outside Japan while being less successful in Japan. 3DS will probably stay relevant in Japan for the next 2-3 years at least, but if DQXI releases in late 2015-early 2016, then it will probably be closer to 2017 when it would be released outside Japan and I have a hard time seeing 3DS being relevant in the west at that point (outside of the perhaps last Pokemon games of 3DS being released).

Wii U might be dead, but putting it on PS3 would stop Nintendo from taking the marketing reigns in the West. I never said it would come to Wii U exclusively, rather, if it's going multiplatform that's the best bet for a port.

I genuinely think it will be 3DS exclusive. I'm almost positive.

Nintendo can market the 3DS SKU in the West or Sony can market the PS3 SKU in the West.

The pro of console SKU would be:

- More sales in the west
- being able to charge more per copy (almost twice as much in JP)

The cons being:

- lots of money is needed
- lots of time is needed

Do the pros outweigh the cons?

TreIII

I would just hope for better implementation of the system this time around. More in the way of actual WiFi MP, for example...

jeremy1456

Nintendo can market the 3DS SKU in the West or Sony can market the PS3 SKU in the West.

- More sales in the west

The cons being:

- lots of time is needed

I don't think Nintendo and Sony would front the advertising for platform specific versions of the same game. Nintendo's marketing of pokemon is what enticed Square-Enix in the first place to give them publishing rights, and Nintendo would probably have to publish the 3DS game.

It would be like helping out the competition, and Sony has never outwardly advertised a DQ title in the West. Would they even publish the Western release?

After the way Bravely Default sold under Nintendo's publishing I imagine Square Enix is pretty happy. If for some reason it was announced for PS3 and 3DS I could see the PS3 version never getting a western release.

I don't think Nintendo and Sony would front the advertising for platform specific versions of the same game. Nintendo's marketing of pokemon is what enticed Square-Enix in the first place to give them publishing rights, and Nintendo would probably have to publish the 3DS game.

It would be like helping out the competition, and Sony has never outwardly advertised a DQ title in the West. Would they even publish the Western release?

After the way Bravely Default sold under Nintendo's publishing I imagine Square Enix is pretty happy. If for some reason it was announced for PS3 and 3DS I could see the PS3 version never getting a western release.

I never said both I said or. Just like how in COD the 360SKU is advertised despite their being other SKU's. Sure theres less incentive if it isn't exclusive.

Nah if there was a PS3 SKU it would exist just for the western release. That is a major reason to put it on consoles after all.

jeremy1456

I never said both I said or. Just like how in COD the 360SKU is advertised despite their being other SKU's. Sure theres less incentive if it isn't exclusive.

Nah if there was a PS3 SKU it would exist just for the western release. That is a major reason to put it on consoles after all.

The difference is that COD is a sales monster. Activision doesn't need help selling it, and the platform holders either show it at conferences, in console advertisements, or pay Activision to have their logo at the end of their own ads.

Totally different story. Dragon Quest isn't big here and depends entirely on advertising. Nintendo did an excellent job of selling Dragon Quest IX. Probably better than Square Enix would have done.

So what motivation would Sony and Nintendo have for advertising a product that entirely depends on their ads, when the game is available on the competitors platform? Very little, that's for sure.

Oxx

I tried the 'streetpass' stuff in DQIX, but my DSi battery would always die before I even got home from work lol.

AniHawk

i think dqxi would sell well on ps3 in japan, which is what's important. hard to say what the split between 3ds and ps3 would be in that situation, but i'd guess 4m wouldn't be unreasonable.

but if they're doing it to garner better sales in the west, it needs to be a real breakout style game. because if 1m wasn't good enough, then it should probably sell above 2m or more to make the exercise worth it. if that's the case, we're looking at 2016 or 2017 and trying to sell a big major ps3 game in the west. the ps3, which has seen sales nosedive in the us since the introduction of the ps4.

it's really hard to make an argument for a console/handheld release unless square enix is forcing armor to do it.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
You already have it, it's called Dragon Quest IX and it came out on DS years ago.
Great game.

But it's not the same and you know it.

They need to make a proper HD remake of DQ8. It's the least they can do. (don't even think about bringing up that mobile shit people *flips the bird to Square*)

Hex

Banned

- More sales in the west

The cons being:

- lots of time is needed

I do not see "- being able to charge more per copy (almost twice as much in JP)" being a pro in this day and age and in this market.
It is a possibility, but the problem is that this comes with a four-five time development cost.

Teletraan1

Banned
I actually do tend to think like that, and it is actually rational for gamers to look at things from that stance. I could say I want a hundred million dollar DQ on PS4/XBO/PC, but I know it would cause huge damage to the brand, and be an obscene waste of money, and I don't want the series to be trashed just because I like TVs and pretty graphics. They should do whatever's best for their userbase, which is to keep the productions costs low and the sales high, it just means I can't bring myself to care about the games, but that's the right choice for them.

That would be true if publishers were infallible. They are not, not even close. This is not the first series to go right off my radar because they dumped them on portables. They try and shoe horn a game onto portables and the end result is often a huge step back from the previous console version. Valkyria Chronicles is another game that comes to mind.

I don't see why you have to have a 100M budget. There are plenty of quality games being made by small teams released for the current generation consoles. It doesn't have to be 1 or 0, that is just the failure that exemplifies this industry talking.

I would like to see games come to as many platforms as possible. Cut out the ones that are limiting your vision but there is no reason that the next instalment shouldn't be able to come to PS4/XB1/PC/WiiU. In an ideal world it would come out for everything but these portables are comically underpowered compared to consoles and PC and I think its too much to have a game scale like that without too many compromises.

KtSlime

I definitely need to go back and start over, and absolutely not go solo with just one character this time. Cause, really, everything else about the game was so incredibly adorable and charming. The music, atmosphere, even the simple loosely connected stories. (The latter btw was also a big turn off for some fans that expected a normal, big story driven campaign.)
All the other people playing it in Japan.

KiTA

DQ9's "create your party of generic party members" thing was a homage to DQ3 -- which was probably one of if not the most influential JRPGs ever. It's not like it was some bold new edgy thing that they pulled out of thin air for the first DS title.

But as for the streetpass thing, you wouldn't streetpass anyone with DQ9 per say -- I don't think the inn thing worked that way, instead just getting you visitors and maps, not PCs? Instead it had local wireless coop like Monster Hunter.

The local coop thing is why I couldn't get why people were even a little shocked that DQ10 was a MMORPG. DQ9 basically could be played as a local wireless MMORPG in it's own right -- 10 just added enough FFXI elements and coop across the Internet.

Nintendo is your best hope. I think they will come through. At least for DQVII. I don't care about X that much.

I'd be absolutely gobsmacked if we got X. DQ7 is still possible. I really hope somehow we end up with DQM's remakes, but again, gobsmacked if it happens.

If Square Enix Japan wasn't being so xenophobic with X, we'd likely already have a fan translation of the PC version's UI at the very least. As it stands, who is going to bother working on a project like that when if they detect you're a dirty barbarian on their nice clean servers they ban you, or if you try to put up Youtube DQX Lets Plays they try to get your account shut down?

What defines a proper successor?

Not on a handheld?

Usually successors have forward progression in most departments, especially graphics. However there are far too many Japanese games that have regressed, have gone back a generation which makes people perceive it as not a worthy sequel.

Dark_castle

I still can't figure out why DQ X isn't here stateside. Wasn't DQ IX a great success here?

It's a Japanese-centric p2p MMO. For western audience, not only are p2p scheme outdated, the genre itself is outweighed by MOBA in terms of audience size. Factor in Square Enix's financial struggle after the XIV 1.0 and given Dragon Quest mainly thriving in Japanese market, it's quite obvious why DQX doesn't make it to stateside.

AniHawk

Usually successors have forward progression in most departments, especially graphics. However there are far too many Japanese games that have regressed, have gone back a generation which makes people perceive it as not a worthy sequel.

and we as a society ignore those people for they are wrong.

Soriku

i think dqxi would sell well on ps3 in japan, which is what's important. hard to say what the split between 3ds and ps3 would be in that situation, but i'd guess 4m wouldn't be unreasonable.

but if they're doing it to garner better sales in the west, it needs to be a real breakout style game. because if 1m wasn't good enough, then it should probably sell above 2m or more to make the exercise worth it. if that's the case, we're looking at 2016 or 2017 and trying to sell a big major ps3 game in the west. the ps3, which has seen sales nosedive in the us since the introduction of the ps4.

it's really hard to make an argument for a console/handheld release unless square enix is forcing armor to do it.

I'm pretty sure they care almost entirely for Japan first and foremost, but in the West the 3DS would still be a good choice (especially since Bravely Default and other RPGs have sold well). With good marketing DQ IX sold 1 mil+ in the West, and really, whether they put it on a console or not, I don't see DQ XI doing a whole lot better than that...

Philippo

Well wasn't one of our insiders claiming that there where plans for a DQ on PS4?

I guess X is out of the list, so maybe we're getting XI...

Top Bottom