• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI in production

Oregano

The PS4 sales in Japan are probably irrelevant if they already started the developement. If they decided to develope the game for PS4, they would have to change the platform right now. I'm not sure that this is something that is just done "like that" in an instant.

Maybe this is already mentioned, but i think they already confirmed that the game wont be on mobile at least.

Why would they have even started a PS4 title? DQ games don't tend to come early in a system's life, they need time to build an install base.

3DS is not only the system with the biggest install base, or the one with the best odds of software selling several million, it's also the most mature current gen system.

Anyway the fact that DQIX was originally an action RPG and got completely revamped tells me that they would in fact be willing to go back to the drawing board.

But Hunter x Hunter is just coming back.

Nobody fucking tell Togashi.

That game was touted around heavily by Nintendo.

Some peeps thought it was a Nintendo made game

Then do the same for DQ.

Nintendo published that too.

I don't believe there's some magical aura sorrounding the Nintendo logo in the title screen that automatically made the game successful. 3DS owners probably just like RPGs (best selling FE is on 3DS too).

sörine

Banned
Depends. If it was for PS4, then SQEX would undoubtedly localize it themselves, as PS4 is very strong outside Japan. If it's on 3DS, then yeah, SQEX might hesitate releasing it outside Japan. DS hasn't really been all that good for DQ, other than IX.
DQMJ sold well in the west I believe. The remakes didn't but by modern standards they've outsold most western released JRPGs on Vita or 3DS so maybe not so bad in retrospect. I bet DQVII 3DS would do surprisingly well if handled right.

Hex

Banned
I am happy with Wii U, 3DS, Ps4, Ps3 or Vita (unlikely), It would push me to by ios crap finally though reluctantly if I had to.
I do not see MS being a factor so my bases are covered I believe.

Hex

Banned
Probably for 3DS, though I would prefer a PS4 version.

I personally would rather not see a PS4 version as odd as it feels to say that.
I want substance over style, I want the focus to stay where it should be and not be muddled in fluff

test_account

XP-39C²
Why would they have even started a PS4 title? DQ games don't tend to come early in a system's life, they need time to build an install base.

3DS is not only the system with the biggest install base, or the one with the best odds of software selling several million, it's also the most mature current gen system.

Anyway the fact that DQIX was originally an action RPG and got completely revamped tells me that they would in fact be willing to go back to the drawing board.
I dont know how they make these business decisions, so i cant really answer that. I just wanted to comment on the comments who said that the PS4 sales in Japan are too low. If DQ11 is already in production, i think the PS4 sales doesnt mean much because the PS4 is only about 2.5 months old in Japan, and i assume that they set the platform to develope for before they knew the PS4 sales in Japan.

gtj1092

Not really, considering that you wouldn't have gotten DQ6 or DQ9 without Nintendo.

No it did not, not even a little bit. It's the biggest bomb out of all of the post-DQ8 releases in the west.

So you're saying sony wouldn't help bring DQ11 to the west but they are willing to help bring all these smaller games over. I think if Sony was able to secure DQ11 part of the agreement would be to help bring the title to the west. Which I'm sure is part of the reason nintendo brought 6 and 9 over. They didn't just bring it over out of the kindness of their hearts.

Aeana

I don't believe there's some magical aura sorrounding the Nintendo logo in the title screen that automatically made the game successful. 3DS owners probably just like RPGs (best selling FE is on 3DS too).

It's not the Nintendo logo, it's their marketing. They did similarly for DQ9 and it did very well, too.

KoopaTheCasual

Has everyone missed this direct report of Square Enix's financials? I feel like people never discussed this heavily and still wildly speculate release dates for both the next mainline Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, when it's been stated what time frame they're targeting.

The report straight up says that they'll be released in Fiscal Year 2016 (April 1st 2015-March 31st 2016):

http://advance.quote.nomura.co.jp/m...=users/nomura/newshonbun&KEY1=HBN3292#pageTop

So we'll likely be hearing an official announcement pretty soon.

javac

Nintendo would of have expressed interest in at least localizing VII.

I can understand if they ignore rocket slime, monsters, etc. But VII?

But course, things could change

Or they have plans, contracts and release schedules that prevent them from just dropping shit on us out of nowhere all the time? Wasn't long ago when people were sure we'd never get Beverly Default and Fire Emblem Awakening. Seems strange to think we'd never get those games at one point now in hindsight right? But the doubts were there.

rpmurphy

I'm a fan, and I hope it comes to 3DS because if marketed by Nintendo it stands a decent chance of selling well thus bringing more DQ games to the West.

A poll on 'dualshockers' doesn't mean a thing.
Dragon Quest is such a huge mass market IP that a poll of readers of a tech enthusiast mag is largely irrelevant.

Considering how the JP market is trending, DQXI could very well be the last mainline DQ to debut on a dedicated gaming platform, at least exclusively.

Scrawnton

I'm confident nintendo will release DQVII next year for 3ds. They just don't need it now. Every month this year we had solid games for 3ds releasing. Feb had bravely default, march had yoshi, April had Rusty's real deal baseball, may has mario golf and Kirby, June has tomadachi, July/August had smash brothers, September/October has monster hunter and possible Pokemon Z, and then their big holiday game, which I bet is majoras mask 3ds and a metroid game.

Because of this year being awesome, I'm betting DQ7 is being saved for 2015 in America as a last hurrah for 3ds as it enters one of its last years.

I just wish Nintendo will say "yes it is coming to America, but not soon" so we can stop worrying.

RM8

I know everyone wants it on their favorite platform, but what Sony system would be a good choice for this? Vita? That'd be especially terrible if SE wants to localize the game. PS4? No way, considering Japan's reception of the system, and their overall meh attitude towards home consoles. I feel 3DS makes the most sense considering its install base in Japan and actually existing overseas, but it's also not a DS situation this time. I just hope it doesn't go mobile :(

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
If this isn't on ps4 I'm gonna be pissed...

I'm not even talking exclusivity here. Just be ON ps4 as well. Anything less than that is a fucking tragedy.

KiTA

If this isn't on ps4 I'm gonna be pissed...

I'm not even talking exclusivity here. Just be ON ps4 as well. Anything less than that is a fucking tragedy.

With the PS4 selling what, 10k a week in Japan, you should probably prepare for disappointment. The PS4 is basically stillborn at this point.

Shiina

I'm confident nintendo will release DQVII next year for 3ds. They just don't need it now. Every month this year we had solid games for 3ds releasing. Feb had bravely default, march had yoshi, April had Rusty's real deal baseball, may has mario golf and Kirby, June has tomadachi, July/August had smash brothers, September/October has monster hunter and possible Pokemon Z, and then their big holiday game, which I bet is majoras mask 3ds and a metroid game.

Because of this year being awesome, I'm betting DQ7 is being saved for 2015 in America as a last hurrah for 3ds as it enters one of its last years.

I just wish Nintendo will say "yes it is coming to America, but not soon" so we can stop worrying.

MH5U is coming in early 2015.

My big crazy hope is that this DQ will be huge and beautiful ala 8, and will release on PC alongside next gen consoles.

This of course has 0.1% chance of happening and it will probably end up being a mobile/ handheld game. But a man can dream, and dream I shall.

People wanting it to not be on a Nintendo platform are forgetting that Nintendo is probably the only way the game would be translated to begin with.

I don't understand why SE doesn't localise a game that could sell at least a couple of hundred thousand. Even without marketing it would sell decently. Surely those sales are worth the effort.

I'm never going to get a proper successor to my second favorite rpg of all time (DQ8) am I...

:(

You gotta believe!

PS4 will pick up. Btw have you played Ni No Kuni?

Top Bottom