• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI in production

sörine

Banned
Huh, what's the reason for the decline? I thought the series as a whole pulled big numbers consistently
They do still pull big numbers. Even on systems like PSP and 3DS the spinoffs did 500k+ in the US alone. It's just not 4m+ big like Final Fantasy.

DQVIII was really top of the line PS2 visuals and presentation when it was released, so I assume that's what they're referring to. That's honestly the main thing I can think of that separates it from other DQ games.
I would say DQVI and DQIX were also top of the line for their systems visually.

Huh, what's the reason for the decline? I thought the series as a whole pulled big numbers consistently

If a large part of your franchise, in the 2nd half of its life, somehow decides to skip a console numbered title and instead only make spin-offs after spin-offs on different platforms (portables, at that), there's no way that the series will be able to maintain its consistency.

Furthermore, a franchise with a focus on an intertwined story/characters like KH, unless it blew in popularity, will find it hard to maintain the same number of audience as the first game in the franchise, given that you lose so much of the story without playing the first game or spin-offs.

There's a reason why EA always say that new players can jump in at ME2 or ME3 no problem.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'll be happy as long as it's not a phone game or an MMO. And that it comes to the US, of course.

sörine;109691173 said:
I would say DQVI and DQIX were also top of the line for their systems visually.

I agree, but DQVI wasn't localised and well, DQIX had the 'lol-DS 3D' stigma attached to it :p

DQVIII, visually, had a hell of a lot of impact; especially coming off of VII. Finally, Toriyama's art and monsters truly came to life in full 3D and you had the 'to-scale' overworld that really gave the game a feeling of vastness that wasn't readily present before. I think when people say they want a DQ game like VIII again they mean one that evokes that kind of feeling VIII did when it first came out.

heidern

3DS entries of Pokemon and Animal Crossing are over 4M in Japan and Monster Hunter over 3M. I don't see why Enix would take the risk of putting anywhere else but 3DS. It will also probably be translated with a target of 1M western sales just like DQIX.

Famassu

You don't say? A mainline sequel is in production almost two years after the release of the previous game (and probably has been for quite some while)? I think "Shocking News" addition to the thread title would be appropriate.

Takao

Banned
It's nice to see Square Enix keep such an obscure series around like this. Maybe Dragon Quest, and Drakengard 3 are a sign that they won't be iOSquare Enix forever?

Seriously though, it'll be a 3DS game. There might be a port to other platforms 6-12 months later. But it's still going to be a 3DS game at its core. Expecting anything else is foolish.

KiraXD

So handheld games are irrelevant now ?

Technically when a games been on consoles its whole life i dont count handheld as main games in the series... sure the handheld versions were pretty decent... but not relevant in my eyes. i want main iterations of great games on home consoles, not bite sized mobile games...

Rolf NB

To those who are saying they hope it is like 8, what do you mean? Is it all just about graphics/voice (English release only)? What makes 8 in your guys' minds better than say 7, or 5?
It's not really about being better than 7 or 5. It's simply that 8 was the last fully traditional Dragon Quest, with no feeling of missing something when played offline. It's also the series peak in presentation (DQ X looked much less detailed and lush, despite being developed for a nominally more powerful system than the PS2). High end presentation is probably not reasonable to expect from the next game, with a high likelihood for the 3DS to be the platform of choice. It does however give DQ8 an edge in people's memories.

And besides all that, it's simply an excellent game, with a simple, fun, fast and reasonably challenging combat system, endearing characters, good dungeons, good overworld, and a great sense of exploration.

Aeana

Technically when a games been on consoles its whole life i dont count handheld as main games in the series... sure the handheld versions were pretty decent... but not relevant in my eyes. i want main iterations of great games on home consoles, not bite sized mobile games...
Whether you count it or not, Dragon Quest 9 is a "main game in the series."

Draconian

Since when did we get to decide what games in a series count or not? It's even more silly considering IX is the best selling game in the franchise.

Alrus

But DQ IX isn't "bite sized" at all. It's a full fledged DQ game.

Looking forward to downloading this on my iPhone when it gets localized

Hahahahaha who am I kidding there is no way
they will localize this

Faustek

DQ9 was released in Europe. So in context of the conversation I quoted, there's no reason to invalidate it for any other reason aside from handheld snobbery, which is silly. And that's coming from someone who doesn't buy handheld consoles.

My grip on reality is just fine.

Sigh, again the DS wasn't region locked, many of the Atlus game didn't see the light of day here, many other games didn't see a official release day here. It started with the dsi and the few games made for it(region locked) and those game didn't make it over. Even with a market penetration of 20-30(45% in some countries) the games wouldn't see light here.
You know we just recently got DS2 for DS. And that only came to light when there where enough pre-orders. 3DS looks to be the same, many games don't make it over or take a year if even that. And I still remember Nintendo as the fuckwits that actually tried to stop the import market quoting strange messed up reasons.

And I'm part of those in that buys all the handhelds

The grip on reality was for those saying PS4 or saying Nintendo "stole" it.

So please tell me whats this about handheld snobbery. Is it the same as preferring one console to another? Or just buttonsmash that ended up the way it did?

cafemomo

If the PS4 gets a DQ title it will probably be X since Nintendo is open to multiplatform online

DQ hasnt been relevant since VIII, at this point id bet on seeing Blue Dragon 2 on XB1 (or consoles) before a new DQ on Consoles (one that isnt handheld or mobile) (and yes i know theyre different developers and dont have anything to do with each other... im just saying...)
Irrelevant since VIII?

What happened to IX?

rjc571

Banned
Hypothetically speaking, suppose DQ11 was a Wii U exclusive. (EDIT: And was a traditional DQ, not online like 10.) Would that be enough to save the Wii U in Japan?

KiraXD

If the PS4 gets a DQ title it will probably be X since Nintendo is open to multiplatform online

Irrelevant since VIII?

What happened to IX?

okay you caught me... i didnt play IX because i didnt own a DS for very long... its just weird counting mobile or handheld games as part of the main line... i know it IS part of the main series... its just...

ehhhh... i just want a full fledged homeconsolepowered title...

3ds or mobile are the only 2 that make sense. It won't be on mobile so it will be on 3ds. PS4 doesn't have the install base + the game would cost a whole lot more to produce.

However, when Horii made the comment, Dragon Quest X producer Yosuke Saito and chief planner Anzai Takashi looked as though they weren’t expecting him to say that, as if it might have been something he shouldn’t have said.

When did they say that they weren't making any more? LOL

I've never played any of the Dragon Quest games before. Should I pick up DQ9 on the DS?

cafemomo

okay you caught me... i didnt play IX because i didnt own a DS for very long... its just weird counting mobile or handheld games as part of the main line... i know it IS part of the main series... its just...

ehhhh... i just want a full fledged homeconsolepowered title...

I don't get why people will simply disregard a title simply because it's on a handheld.

Look, erryone wants a mainline DQ title that isn't on a Nintendo platform or a MMO, but XI for better or worst will on the 3DS since that will be in the best interests for the fans in Japan and for SE themselves.

wrowa

dammit this, hopefully, a full console version, but SE does love that 3DS,, so I'm not getting my hopes up for anything..

It's the only platform in Japan on which they can realistically expect to move 3 million and more units. That's all there is to it, really.

Even if DQXI ends up being multiplat, you can bet on it being a 3DS game at its core.

You don't think it would be worth it to lock-in Japan with PS4 sales? It's already dominating console sales everywhere else.

It probably will be 3DS, but I so doubt it'll be mobile. Now an eventual port to mobile is a different story.

Sony have a 'no exclusive moneyhat' policy for quite some time now.

SkylineRKR

I don't think its worth it for Sony. A few 100k extra for a certain period is nothing. And DQ doesn't sell systems outside of Japan.

I want a good console DQ, VIII is still best in the series and something 9 doesn't even come close to.

Agreed. But for that to happen the Ps4 needs to become as big as the Ps2 in Japan, which is not going to happen.

LOL @ anyone who thinks this will be on anything other than 3DS or mobile. DQ is irrelavant outside of Japan so a console version makes no sense. Vita sin't popular enough, PS3 isn't either. 3DS is the only option. You're only hope is that they decide to do a PS3/PW4 upport from 3DS.

Aeana

People wanting it to not be on a Nintendo platform are forgetting that Nintendo is probably the only way the game would be translated to begin with.

test_account

XP-39C²
The PS4 sales in Japan are probably irrelevant if they already started the developement. If they decided to develope the game for PS4, they would have to change the platform right now. I'm not sure that this is something that is just done "like that" in an instant.

Maybe this is already mentioned, but i think they already confirmed that the game wont be on mobile at least.

RangerBAD

People wanting it to not be on a Nintendo platform are forgetting that Nintendo is probably the only way the game would be translated to begin with.

That's true. Although we haven't got the 7 remake yet, but that's not the same as a new mainline game.

Famassu

PS4 would melt around the world trying to run that in real time, so no.
Other than the IQ, I don't really see anything unachievable in that for PS4. The character models are fairly simple, the assets aren't anything too wonderful otherwise either, the texture work isn't anything too amazing and while they might have to tone down some of the vegetation, it probably shouldn't have to be anything too much worse than what is in that trailer.

It would probably cost a fraction of what Square Enix has bankrolled for Final Fantasy XV.
FFXV has been in full development only from mid 2011 and not with a Ubisoft/Rockstar-like 1000+ person team. While it will be an expensive project by the time they release it and they've undoubtedly spend a lot of money on it so far, I doubt it's as expensive as you are imagining it is. Certainly nowhere close to the kind of sums Sony would have to spend to moneyhat a PS4 exclusive DQXI in a situation where SQEX was planning to develop it for something else and Sony wanted them to change their minds.

Depends. If it was for PS4, then SQEX would undoubtedly localize it themselves, as PS4 is very strong outside Japan. If it's on 3DS, then yeah, SQEX might hesitate releasing it outside Japan. DS hasn't really been all that good for DQ, other than IX.

darkziosj

Depends. If it was for PS4, then SQEX would undoubtedly localize it themselves, as PS4 is very strong outside Japan. If it's on 3DS, then yeah, SQEX might hesitate releasing it outside Japan. DS hasn't really been all that good for DQ, other than IX.

That makes no sense the 3ds is also stronger than ps4 outside of japan.

Top Bottom