• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI in production

eojoko

Always exciting to hear Dragon Quest news, even when it's this slight.

With the success if Bravely Default, I have no doubt that a new mainline 3DS Dragon Quest will make its way West, even if Nintendo publishes.

RangerBAD

Not unexpected, but great to hear! Hopefully Sony threw money at that to get it on one of their systems. Would bolster Vita or PS4 sales in Japan for sure.

Shahed

So this is the Final Fantasy clone by that Naruto guy right

Probably this.
That has to be the most hilarious thing I've ever read on GAF. I can understand being disappointed, but stealing our games? So silly and I can't take anything like that seriously. Especially when you consider the game wouldn't be made otherwise

AniHawk

Not unexpected, but great to hear! Hopefully Sony threw money at that to get it on one of their systems. Would bolster Vita or PS4 sales in Japan for sure.

why would sony do that for japan when they clearly haven't been putting a whole lot of effort into that region? they didn't do it for monster hunter to help the vita, and the ps4 already launched as though it was an afterthought with the majority of attention focused on western markets.

Huh, he says "will" pretty definitively. 3DS/Vita both? I really can't imagine them going PS4/3DS, or any other combination with PS4

Then he says discussions are going on so who knows.

I figured that would be brought up. But, does that particularly mean it will be a main entry? Japan seems to be a dying land for consoles, and I think Square is only focusing on franchises that have an extension westward to put on consoles, like Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, and Hitman, to name their three most notable upcoming games. It's also why Dragon Quest missed the PS3 boat entirely last generation.

I don't know what it is but if SE have put all the spin offs and remakes on 3ds and smartphones. Its not DQX either since it seems SE has very little incentive to bring that over and Nintendo seem to have some deal going on.

Maybe SE want DQ to have even more success in the West.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
10 bucks on this being 3DS, but I would love for the series to go multiplatform

Rolf NB

Do we even know if they'll do the DQ X pseudo-model again, or a more single-player focused traditional story? Have they said anything about if they consider that experiment a success, possibly worth repeating?

L Thammy

Do we even know if they'll do the DQ X pseudo-model again, or a more single-player focused traditional story? Have they said anything about if they consider that experiment a success, possibly worth repeating?

They can't do that too many times too rapidly, else they'd be drawing people away from one MMORPG and onto another. They're more likely to add more expansions to X.

I would love for Level 5 / Sony to collaborate to bring this to PS4 ala PS3 Dragon Quest 8 but I think those times are behind us.

Will likely be 3DS / Wii U type release. Nintendo seems to have these types of games in the bag for whatever reason.

Shahed

I would love for Level 5 / Sony to collaborate to bring this to PS4 ala PS3 Dragon Quest 8 but I think those times are behind us.

Will likely be 3DS / Wii U type release. Nintendo seems to have these types of games in the bag for whatever reason.
Because their platforms do better in Dragon Quests primary market? It's not as if it's a conspiracy or anything. The only reason one could fathom for a none 3DS release and to got for something like PS4 instead is if they want to make another push for the series in the West

Rolf NB

They can't do that too many times too rapidly, else they'd be drawing people away from one MMORPG and onto another. They're more likely to add more expansions to X.
Now that makes sense. I'm on team single-player focus, so I'm naturally biased to believe it'll happen.

Honest question, what do you think it would take to get DQ popular in the western markets? And don't say "nothing" or something snarky about western AAA development, it's a serious question. Final Fantasy is popular over here. There was Bamco talking about how Tales is getting more and more popular with each release. What could DQ realistically do to find a steady audience?

Honest question, what do you think it would takr to get DQ popular in the western markets? And don't say "nothing" or something snarky about western AAA development, it's a serious question. Final Fantasy is popular over here. There was Bamco talking about how Tales is getting more and more popular with each release. What could DQ realistically do to find a steady audience?

1) Console release.

2) They are never going to get the KH/FF audience so DQ is never going to sell more in the West than in JP.

3) Ni No Kuni did quite well without much marketing. So whats crucial is that its a great game and has good word of mouth.

AniHawk

Honest question, what do you think it would takr to get DQ popular in the western markets? And don't say "nothing" or something snarky about western AAA development, it's a serious question. Final Fantasy is popular over here. There was Bamco talking about how Tales is getting more and more popular with each release. What could DQ realistically do to find a steady audience?

it just needs some consistency. that's what's helping out tales. but what tales is doing is just hitting about 100k-150k and maybe a little more with each entry. dqviii and dqix both sold over 500k in the us. i think in order to become a multimillion selling franchise in the west, it would need a very expensive overhaul that probably isn't necessary. maybe for dqxii it will make sense to go with ps4, but the return on investment is probably focused on japan where there's more of a guarantee of selling multiple millions with fewer development resources involved.

A big marketing push? Both DQVIII and DQIX benefited from that - both having shipped over a million copies each in the west. VIII had the FFXII demo in NA and many enhancements to the localised product (full orchestra soundtrack, voice acting, new UI etc) while IX had a strong marketing push from Nintendo.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Didn't the DS remakes and DQ9 sell decently? A decently budgeted home console DQ on PS3/X360 or Xbone/PS4 could do well in a starved market regarding that genre.

DQ9 did 1.02 million in the West. DQ8 iirc did 1.4 million.

DQ has no chance and doing big numbers like 4 million+ in the West like FF and KH.

KtSlime

Honest question, what do you think it would take to get DQ popular in the western markets? And don't say "nothing" or something snarky about western AAA development, it's a serious question. Final Fantasy is popular over here. There was Bamco talking about how Tales is getting more and more popular with each release. What could DQ realistically do to find a steady audience?

Marines, guns, realistic looking characters, no cutesy stuff, enemies who are pure evil, console, and pvp. Pretty much what the current target audience does not like.

DQ8 and 9 both sold 1m+ in the west. More than Persona/Tales and pretty much any JRPG that not FF/KH.

The difference is that Square has higher expectations than Namco/Atlus. Namco might be happy with 200-300K western sales but such numbers might not be good enough for SE.

Gloam

I doubt we'll see DQXI on anything other than the 3DS. PS4 won't have the numbers, PS3 is a possibility of course, but I feel like that ship sailed with DQX; a lot of people expected a platform switch from Wii but it didn't pan out like that.

So 3DS is best bet in terms of number of users and support what with DQM, DQ7 and so on.

What are the chances that ArtePiazza are developing this one? Is Level-5 still a possibility for DQ development?

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
what tells you the market is starved and not relatively nonexistent?
The lack of release for games with a decent budget in that genre on hime console. It's a niche genre alright but I believe with a decent marketting and the right games a console RPG could do a million in the west. Maybe not enough for what you are thinking about.

zashga

I guess 3DS and mobile are the only realistic possibilities, so here's hoping for 3DS. And localization. The last few years have been pretty sad for DQ fans outside of Japan.

AniHawk

The lack of release for games with a decent budget in that genre on hime console. It's a niche genre alright but I believe with a decent marketting and the right games a console RPG could do a million in the west. Maybe not enough for what you are thinking about.

hard to tell now, but it's possible the ps4 won't have a userbase to match what dqviii sold until about 2016 in japan. so optimistically, the game would probably only sell about 2.5 million if it released in 2016 or 2017 (it would surely move hardware units, but not enough to close the gap). sales for the game would need to more than double what dqviii and dqix did in other regions to make up for the gap, and then sell much more to cover the cost of development, which is a lot higher than making a ds or ps2 game. it's also more of an unknown right now, where 3ds and mobile have proven there's an audience for these games.

What are the odds of getting a game along the lines of DQVIII: Journey of the Cursed King? I don't really want a handheld game or an MMO.

rpmurphy

X being an MMO, it probably doesn't mean much for the next main-line. If it goes 3DS, my guess that it will be a similar structure to IX. I'm really hoping that there will be no tedious side-quests this time around though. And for it to retain turn-based combat.

RPGCrazied

Whatever happened to localizing X? I know its an MMO, but I could have sworn they had plans to do something with the west.

Also, please don't be an iOS/mobile game.

KtSlime

To those who are saying they hope it is like 8, what do you mean? Is it all just about graphics/voice (English release only)? What makes 8 in your guys' minds better than say 7, or 5?

sörine;109690072 said:
Only the first KH ever did 4m+ in the west. KH2 didn't and KH3 probably won't either.

Huh, what's the reason for the decline? I thought the series as a whole pulled big numbers consistently

To those who are saying they hope it is like 8, what do you mean? Is it all just about graphics/voice (English release only)? What makes 8 in your guys' minds better than say 7, or 5?

DQVIII was really top of the line PS2 visuals and presentation when it was released, so I assume that's what they're referring to. That's honestly the main thing I can think of that separates it from other DQ games.

Top Bottom