• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DragonBall Z: Battle of Z |OT| PLEASE, GIVE ME YOUR ENERGY!

TCKaos

fjglYd7.png

(No Photoshop Edition)

Box Art
ceHYvVF.png

Trailers
Tokyo Game Show 2013
A Fierce Battle of Gods!
Jump Fiesta 2014

DLC
In the US pre-orders at Gamestop net you Super Saiyan Bardock, Pre-orders at Best Buy net you Super Vegito, and all first printings have Goku in a Sage Naruto getup.
J33QZHH.jpg

Info
So Battle of Z isn't so much a fighting game as it is an arcade-y tactical fighter that uses DBZ characters. Each character, even different forms of the same characters, were designed to fit specific roles. Each character lends themselves to a different style of play that may be radically different from the others. Those familiar with the demo will remember that Goku was a Fighting Type, lending himself to long and damaging combos, Piccolo was a Ki Type, lending himself to ranged attacks, Gohan was a Support Type that healed others, and Krillin was an Interrupt Type, who essentially trolls. If you need clarification I'd recommend listening to Episode 351 of the Kanzenshuu Podcast where they talk about the demo. It's a very in-depth look at the design of the game.

The game's campaign missions were designed for the most part so that four players could get together and play through them cooperatively. Playing through these missions gives you points that you can spend on items that make your characters stronger. Those of you who played the demo will be happy to know that the levelling you did there will carry over to the full game.

Some of the missions have pretty neat easter eggs in them. Some of them have enemies off in the distance not participating in the fight, shit talking from afar, just like in the show. One such mission has Android 16 normally not participate unless one player manages to pick Goku, in which case 16 will hunt Goku down.

Also, for the first time ever, players will be able to play as Super Saiyan Bardock from the Episode of Bardock and Super Saiyan God Goku, Beerus and Whis from the new Battle of Gods movie.

Should be out today, so go ahead and let the talk of the full game commence.

bigkrev

If this had been a game like Burst Limit, it would have been a snap buy for me on Vita at it's ~30 dollar launch price for plus members, and I don't really like DBZ all that much.

Thank god they put a demo up, which told me this game isn't for me!

TCKaos

How similar is this to the Tenkaichi games? Played the first one, didn't care for it much. I loved Budokai 3.

Not very much like it. It's more of an arcade game. Most characters have single button combos that you can mix up with an occasional heavy attack or something. The meat of the game is the cooperation of the different characters playing the roles they're meant to play and the synergy you can build between members.

Jinroh

I would have gladly bought in on vita, but lack of japanese voices (even though they are advertised on the box!!) is a deal breaker.

Now my only question is, does the japanese version features original japanese music or are they similar to those of the US/European versions?

I would like to know if the full game gets difficult at some point or has difficulty options?

I like the idea of fighting really hard opponents with a good team of players, the demo was far too easy.

TCKaos

I would have gladly bought in on vita, but lack of japanese voices (even though they are advertised on the box!!) is a deal breaker.

Now my only question is, does the japanese version features original japanese music or are they similar to those of the US/European versions?

From all the footage I saw of the Japanese demo it used music from the US releases of Tenkaichi 3/Raging Blast/Raging Blast 2, as the Japanese have never actually had a game with that music before, each of those games used the music from the Japanese series.

Reknoc

Loved the demo and grabbed it on PSN (VITA) day one. Didn't care for the great ape fights so far, but the other missions are fun.

Roster is p.crap though, guess this is what comes of not caring about DBZ games outside of tenkaichi and being spoiled on them having like, everyone. So much of this games roster is just other forms of a character, like there's like 5 Gokus and 5 Buus or whatever, kinda lame.

I have this on PSV and it's fantastic fun, the game gets very challenging and you feel the need to replay in order to get better items.

The battle system is very basic but given the 4 vs 4 game play it works quite nicely.

I'd probably like it less on PS3 but it works beautifully on the Vita

Jarate

Banned
I'm picking this up today at 10

do you guys want me to stream the game for ya'll, I put in some time into the demo so i know some of the basic combos with the characters that were available
and also the characters you could only get by modding the save file

also, anyone else getting this for 360?

Loved the demo and grabbed it on PSN (VITA) day one. Didn't care for the great ape fights so far, but the other missions are fun.

Roster is p.crap though, guess this is what comes of not caring about DBZ games outside of tenkaichi and being spoiled on them having like, everyone. So much of this games roster is just other forms of a character, like there's like 5 Gokus and 5 Buus or whatever, kinda lame.

BUT YOU CAN MAKE A TEAM OF ALL FOUR OF THEM WOW!

Yeah I agree the roster is disappointing, lack of local multiplayer kills this for me though. Sure the game is fun but I can't justify full price for it

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I'm curious about the single player because I doubt I'd touch the multiplayer if I picked this up.

Rnr1224

May get this for vita. Thought the demo was pretty fun and it seems like a fun game to play on the go. Time will tell if I end up pulling the trigger or not

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
single player is probably fairly bare bones.

There's co-op and competitive battles, co-op is fairly fun actually if you can get a group

That would make me sad :(

This type of Dragonball game has so much potential for a kick ass single player.

I played the demo to this and it didnt wow me, the combat felt off, but it wasnt Tenkaichi bad. Guess I'll stick to Raging Blast 2 and the HD collection.

Alric

Don't know if I like or dislike it yet from the Demo. Almost wish it was more like Tenkaichi Tag Team for the PSP with it's combat though.

The game is pretty fun when there's a lot of players in the match. The only problem I had was that the camera was all over the place (mobile games like these rarely have good cameras). I might think about getting this, especially if its for Vita.

Jarate

Banned
Eh, I'd say Tenkaichi has better combat since it has counter dodging.

they're all fairly kind of not deep, but this one has some team mechanics that can possibly work

all the support characters were kind of terrible in the demo, hopefully that's not the case for the actual game. Making krillin, and gohan lower point values probably would've helped some

Not sure if I should get this. Haven't played the demo yet but I was dumb enough to buy and 100 percent ultimate tenkaichi. I just wish this wasn't 60 bucks on home consoles.

Reknoc

they're all fairly kind of not deep, but this one has some team mechanics that can possibly work

all the support characters were kind of terrible in the demo, hopefully that's not the case for the actual game. Making krillin, and gohan lower point values probably would've helped some

Well I don't really expect deep, it's DBZ, a series where fights consist of flurries of punches, beam spam, super special move. I just find the defense options in Tenkaichi more fun and don't really feel like the team mechanics add all that much outside of being heal dispensers.

I heard the game doesn't have a CPU VS mode, only Single Player missions and Online. Can someone who has the game confirm/deny this? This is a pretty big deal breaker for me.

andymcc

Banned
after recently hearing about Zenkai Battle Royale, it makes me wonder why that wasn't just ported instead.

Bills is playable in it too. :(

daveo42

Banned
Oh sweet, the god characters are in it for this one. Might be worth it to check it out just for them.

after recently hearing about Zenkai Battle Royale, it makes me wonder why that wasn't just ported instead.

Wait, no Bills? That's disappointing.

I wish they'd start throwing these games on Steam. Seems like it could make a few bucks pretty easily.

Downloading the Vita demo to see how it makes me feel. Hopefully it's a good one.

They thought that DBZ didn't sell because the combat was too difficult, Zenkai plays similarly to Gundam VS and thus would be far too difficult.

BHK3

Banned
He's playable. Whis is, too.

http://images.saiyanisland.com/data/614/Dragon-Ball-Z-Battle-of-Z-Characters.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

...Android Cooler, what's he called? I never thought I would ever see something like him in a DBZ game. Now that is an interesting add, rather then more frieza henchmen.

Hagi

bad phrasing on my part. I'm saying Zenkai Royale already had a link to Battle of the Gods so they could have ported it instead of this game. :(

Oh snap this isn't the arcade game? I played it (terribly) in Akihabara and thought it was pretty fun. :/ Hype deflated.

Transformations being separate characters is bullshit .

andymcc

Banned
They thought that DBZ didn't sell because the combat was too difficult, Zenkai plays similarly to Gundam VS and thus would be far too difficult.

That's some dumb reasoning. Didn't Extreme Versus on PS3 do better numbers than any DBZ game in Japan?

It still tops most played/revenue generating arcade game lists too. A shame.

Top Bottom