• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown (Vanillaware PS3/PSV) Sorceress Trailer

I'm going to show my wife this video tonight and see what she thinks. I predict she'll find it ridiculous, but not be offended.

Not that it will prove anything, but I'm curious.

I think I'd already mentioned in here earlier that the general reaction I've received from the resident female is that the Amazon is cuter than the Sorceress because the Amazon's butt jiggles, and she has already called dibs on the Dwarf.

For starters, I still don't know why the game didn't get this overwhelming a reaction when the character designs where first unveiled what? 18 months ago? This video wasn't the first time we saw the sorceress. But whatever.

I guess the main reason I'm not upset at this game is because I know Vanillaware and Kamitani aren't behaving like typical video game artists we all complain about when they draw sexualized female characters. ALL of their previous games have featured strong female leads who don't have freaking ridiculous proportions. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I trust Vanillaware on this one because I "know" them. What would be your reaction if Naughty Dog's next game had a protagonist like Bayonetta? I would at least give them the benefit of the doubt until I see the writing behind the game for which they're usually so well-known.

The last thing is, when I look at the sorceress and amazon, to me they don't just look sexualized, more like completely crazy. I can't see how anyone would take it seriously.

I understand the anger from people who've seen way too many fantasy RPGs with scantily clad female warriors, but I'm giving Vanillaware the benefit of the doubt on this one because I know that's now how they roll.

They moved the sexualisation from the side-characters to the main characters and that gives you MORE faith in them?

JordanN

Banned
On the objectified front, how many people actually like a character just on looks alone?

I can't think of many games where I like the character without there being a secondary and third characteristic to go with it. Like, the character is a good fighter or makes a great general.

If a game has a character driven by looks alone, I'd see my interest waining fast as there would be nothing more to him or her. Now that's an object.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I think I'd already mentioned in here earlier that the general reaction I've received from the resident female is that the Amazon is cuter than the Sorceress because the Amazon's butt jiggles, and she has already called dibs on the Dwarf.
Split here is Amazon/Elf/Wizard and Sorceress/Dwarf/Fighter. :)

The elf gif that created the speculation on arrow ammo sold her on it.

DarkKyo

Work bandwith caps suck. If the worst these studies can find is a mild and temporary reduction in self esteem around attractive characters then it just confirms that dragons crown won't see a mass market success, but not the harm the hyperbole here suggests.

The argument doesn't even apply to this game. Having large breasts and nothing else of value would make the character in question be judged only on her appearance. But the sorceress is much more than her physical appearance. The ones who want to introduce controversy into this game/thread have only one thing to stand on: massive boobs being an indicator of character instead of personality/ability. It's a shame that one thing doesn't even apply to Dragon's Crown.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
On the objectified front, how many people actually like a character just on looks alone?

I can't think of many games where I like the character without there being a secondary and third characteristic to go with it. Like, the character is a good fighter or makes a great general.

If a game has a character driven by looks alone, I'd see my interest waining fast as there would be nothing more to him or her. Now that's an object.

I feel it's genre dependent but this happens a lot, especially in fighting games or brawlers.

These videos so far have shown great variety in how the characters can play.
So far, each are unique and look like an absolute blast.

Actually, has anyone in this thread been making comparisons to Vanillaware's previous games?

On a few occasions.
GrimGrimoire, Odin Sphere, Muramasa. All of them had their fair share of similar stylization.

It's Vanillaware's raison d'être, so I hope it doesn't change.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I think its great, theyre pushing all the stylization boundaries and In glad for it.

Its all ridiculous and its consistently ridiculous. This aint Tera online.

The argument is still cohesive. There may be the question of how impactful this particular title might be in the grand scheme of things, but it's kind of foolish to deny the wider issue.

The argument is not cohesive, because there has been no argument.

All we have is a bunch of people (mostly men) throwing around phrases like "flappy tits" to hate on the character design, and then pretending that their hatred of the art is noble because harassment of women is a problem in the gaming industry. No explanation of why their hatred is a good thing, or the art is a bad thing, in regard to that problem.

I would even say that people like Schrier are contributing to harassment of women by sexualizing their hatred.

If you go around attacking "flappy tits" as being morally wrong and saying "it's just like showing a giant penis" are you really helping women? If a jerk hears you, aren't they going to take it as support for being a jerk? By using things like "big flappy tits" as a moral insult, you are in a sense denigrating women's bodies as being morally wrong. By acting like having large breasts is equivalent to showing off a giant penis, you are making it easier for jerks to harass women, because now they think to themselves "this woman in a low cut dress is equivalent to showing off her genitals, so she must want me to make sexual comments."

And since this particular artist is the president of the company and using his own art style by his own will, there also has been no argument given to why it is "emblematic" of anything. We don't need to censor artists, we need more artists. This guy making a game doesn't censor anyone else. But some want to censor him.

This whole attack is just transparent and disgusting. People who don't like the art saying "how dare you not make this art sexy to me! Gross big flappy tits are like giant penises! And I'm so self satisfied and noble for saying this, go me!"

Where is the line between being attractive and being objectified?

If someone in real life did look like Sorceress, would video games never be allowed to portray her?

The definition of sexual objectification is a person who is only desired for sex so this actually takes into account all body types.

That is a valid point, and the very fact that these are playable characters (powerful ones at that!) is a hint that objectification is not all that they are. I do think that objectification is a spectrum; there's no "line", but a continuum. Again, I find artistic examples such as these rather harmless, in part because they are so obvious that we instinctively guard against them; nobody is in any danger of substituting their expectations by them. The comment about actual women feeling inadequate because of freakish fun-house-mirror unpeople such as these is pretty baffling indeed.

I'm going to show my wife this video tonight and see what she thinks. I predict she'll find it ridiculous, but not be offended.

Not that it will prove anything, but I'm curious.

I suspect many women would react like you described; that's pretty much what my GF thought as well. She doesn't like the more exaggerated ones (including the Dwarf and Fighter), her words are "exaggerated and unnecesary". But she doesn't feel offended as a woman.

If you go around attacking "flappy tits" as being morally wrong and saying "it's just like showing a giant penis" are you really helping women? If a jerk hears you, aren't they going to take it as support for being a jerk? By using things like "big flappy tits" as a moral insult, you are in a sense denigrating women's bodies as being morally wrong. By acting like having large breasts is equivalent to showing off a giant penis, you are making it easier for jerks to harass women, because now they think to themselves "this woman in a low cut dress is equivalent to showing off her genitals, so she must want me to make sexual comments."

That is actually an interesting point.

Yes, both men and women feel a decline in self-esteem. Does that excuse further marginalisation or contribution to lower self-esteem? No. Besides, I don't see any reason not to deny that media representation matters - of course it does.

Sorry have to keep this short, on a phone. Thanks for the studies, I also went through a number of others myself. It would seem from my perspective that sexualized characters are unfairly being lumped in with genuinely harmful sexist behavior (women with no agency, salary discrepancy, lack of female representation and harmful gender stereotyping). The sorceress may make a women feel uncomfortable about herself temporarily, but it won't stop her from getting a job.
Growing up with poor gender stereotypes, such as women are bad at math, will have a genuine and long lasting effect.

Lime

I like that people are starting to catch on how dishonest "I just want them to think about it" is. Regardless of point of view, I'm pretty disgusted when someone denies what they really mean.

Is that a dig at me? Because if it is, you should revise your notion that talking about the problem of gender and race inequalities in the industry and representation is "dishonest" or in denial of "what they really mean" (whatever the fuck that is).

I think there's something wrong in your head if you somehow are of the idea that you know my own personal intentions and motivations better than me. So please stop that.

Well, it's a pretty outdated thread (there are newer Dragon's Crown threads) and there is nothing really else to talk about other than the "dumb" design of the sorcerer. I'm fine with Lime bringing up some points about the effects of over sexualized characters and whatnot, because really this thread would be on page 10 without the discussion.

But it'll be mighty annoying if people are trying to have this discussion in say, the OT on release week.

Don't worry, I'll stop after this post and leave everyone to be. And I won't be in the OT talking about the design - it's your Christmas, I'm not going to shit on it :)

Okay then explain why they also put a short girl in with very small breasts and other girls who are all strong in their own ways? Your argument makes no sense because

a)it's focusing on ONE character/archetype of many different archetypes present within the game
b)you're saying that even though the girl's design and powers make perfect sense and are not completely unrealistic, they don't belong in the game because some people might see artistic vision as a "symptom of a larger problem"

You're telling us right now that even though large breasted girls can be strong and respectable, they don't belong in media anywhere because some people can't see how said female is a strong character and only focus on her physical assets?

In other words your saying "this example is fine in itself but it shouldn't be in a game because of certain mindsets". Which is essentially a call for censorship so not to offend certain sensibilities/warped mindsets.

No, no, no. That is not what I am saying. I am trying to explain the reasons why some find this design an example of a problem in the games medium. It's not about the justifications within the actual game, but the design in itself which without playing the game or character can seem a bit symptomatic of an over-arching problem within the games industry.

Just a few posts ago you said "white male." Why did you broaden your definition to include all males? Was it because the game's Japanese origin was pointed out to you?

I don't get this.

Also, do you seriously think that no females like this design? If you do, you're already calling a few posters in this very thread liars.

No, although my claim rests on some assumptions on how people would react to this, I think it's quite probable and likely that most people would find the design tasteless based on its overtly sexualized nature without having played the game or being aware of the context it is presented within.

Why do you get to decide the target audience? You're all but saying that females "aren't allowed" to like these designs. By doing so, aren't you being even more patronizing than the very designs you're criticizing, and culture that you claim them to be symptoms of, simply by telling people what they should or shouldn't like based on their gender?

No, I am saying that the design characteristics seem to be appealing to heterosexual men (or LB women) - however that is my interpretation ,but I think it's a very probable one (alternatively read Fine Ham Abounds' take on the targeted effects of the design)

Everyone here is posting opinions. You really should stop acting like you know everything and that your opinion is fact somehow.

I think people are conflating the discussion on sexism and clarification on why some people find the design in bad taste or a symptom of a larger problem. I am giving reasons why people are motivated to have a problem with this design. These reasons for motivation are factual, i.e. that representation matters.

I don't know that I could ever think something is exempt from criticism. That's like saying no one should have an opinion on something.

It was mostly addressing people who didn't like Schreier's article and think he should stop writing about such perspectives on the topic at hand.

We've sort of been over this already in here, but after you've educated me a bit more, I suppose I'd still maintain this style embraces exaggeration along the lines of caricature, and I base this on the thematically consistent art direction present throughout the game, and the over the top fantasy context. I also don't feel that the sorceress is a character who in this game world would not choose to be portrayed as she is. I do not feel that she is a virtual victim being exploited solely for the base impulses of the audience. I'm fairly confident though that she is on some level being exploited for the base impulses of the artist, but I'm not sure how to approach that in an argument. I personally do not consider her design offensive because of all of this.

I think both you and I would be unable to definitively provide good reasons when we haven't experienced the depiction of the character in its entirety (cutscenes, dialogue, all mechanics, fictional and procedural development, etc.). That being said, my point of departure for this discussion is only in relation to how there are many valid reasons for some people (like Jason Schreier) to feel that this specific design is a symptom of a larger problem in the games industry when being confronted with this specific design in a screenshot or in a trailer. As such, I think it's quite understandable why some people are criticizing it, despite lacking the context of actually playing the entire game.

The game is most definitely trying to appeal to a certain demographic, I'm just not sure we can be as certain of the size or variety of those outside that demographic who find these characters just as appealing. I'm not convinced just because some undoubtedly find the art offensive that we can conclude it is actively excluding or marginalizing anyone, or even less so that it is intended to do so.

I agree that one can never be determinate in what type of people will like this game - as far as I'm concerned everyone are able to like whatever they like. That being said, I think there are many examples of this particular type of design being aimed at a certain audience and I think it's probable that some people are put off by the design (regardless of demographic).

Do you think that I'm just splitting hairs and on a practical level I'm just being an apologist?

No, not at all. In fact, I think you are trying to give excellent reasons for why the design contributes to less harm and I value the discussion.

Not a counter to your efforts or evidence, but couldn't all of this data support an argument that people would live better lives if not exposed to any media or only exposed to carefully engineered media?

No, it doesn't. You're making a false conclusion on the provided data and arguments - it's not about denying or completely abandoning the whole endeavour about human communication. And it's not about "carefully engineered media", but being aware as both creator and consumer that there are certain real-life (harmful) effects of the content one produces and consumes and that one would be moral if one paid respect to these aspects of a multi-cultural society*.

I think maybe Lime should concede their argument at this point.

Guys and girls both like sorceress because she's strong and hawt. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Lime thinks that media can portray them but that they also shouldn't. He's advocating excluding certain physical archetypes because some people are sexist.

I'm sorry, darkkyo, but I think you're misunderstanding my points. It's about how this design can easily be interpreted as a symptom of a larger problem (which is what Schreier did).

Oh I know Lime, you're my hero, fight on brother/sister, fight on

I don't see any reason to be derogatory? You don't think information about continuous marginalization through media is significant to talk about?

The argument is not cohesive, because there has been no argument.

I wasn't talking about Shreier's comment and reaction. I wholehearted agree that it is just ridiculous and his suggestion even more so. Censorship is dangerous to even hint at.

I was referring to the (brief) mention that women are sorely under-represented within the ranks of most development houses and processes, and the issues being discussedt recently are contributed from that.

Actually, this sort of confusion was what I was referring to earlier to Lime, cause I think there's way too much cross-talk in this thread.

Don't get it twisted. Dragon's Crown might be my most anticipated game this year.

Lime

Since my contributions to this thread seem to be misinterpreted and misunderstood in regards to the design of the Sorceress, I'll leave the discussion (and my long-winded replies probably give the wrong perception of my intentions). Please note that I don't have a problem with the game existing and regarding the design; people are free to like what they want to like - I have no problem with that whatsoever.

I only joined in to clarify and explain why the design can be and has been interpreted and understood as a symptom of and a contribution to a larger problem within the games industry (which is what I provided arguments for), thus making it clear that articles like Jason Schreier's are reasonable and understandable in their intentions and motivations.

Uthred

I don't see any reason to be derogatory? You don't think information about continuous marginalization through media is significant to talk about?

You seem to be projecting here, what did I say that was derogatory? Where did I suggest anything was unimportant to talk about? Was I wrong to salute your tireless battle against the forces of ignorance? Perhaps I should have added a smiley as clearly text by itself lacks tone and led to a miscommunication

DarkKyo

Lime, I understand your argument just fine. Let me ask you this:

In what media/game would it be okay to have a girl with big breasts? None? Because as far as I can tell you don't think they belong anywhere in media, or at the very least in media that could be considered "dominated" by males. You are using large breasts as a blanket attribute for not acceptable in any media due to this "larger problem" you keep mentioning(that doesn't seem to apply to this game).

You seem to be projecting here, what did I say that was derogatory? Where did I suggest anything was unimportant to talk about? Was I wrong to salute your tireless battle against the forces of ignorance? Perhaps I should have added a smiley as clearly text by itself lacks tone and led to a miscommunication

Anyone who doesn't think like you is ignorant? Are you really that conceited? You're a primate just like the rest of us.

Since my contributions to this thread seem to be misinterpreted and misunderstood in regards to the design of the Sorceress, I'll leave the discussion (and my long-winded replies probably give the wrong perception of my intentions). Please note that I don't have a problem with the game existing and regarding the design; people are free to like what they want to like - I have no problem with that whatsoever.

I only joined in to clarify and explain why the design can be and has been interpreted and understood as a symptom of and a contribution to a larger problem within the games industry (which is what I provided arguments for), thus making it clear that articles like Jason Schreier's are reasonable and understandable in their intentions and motivations.

There is a marginal at best link between sexualized characters and the larger problem. Both you and Schreier are reaching instead of focusing on real issues.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Yes. Yes. It's simply people misinterpreting or misunderstanding your posts. That must be it. When confronted with wide scale disagreement, it only makes sense that it's the readers who are just failing to understand.

In what media/game would it be okay to have a girl with big breasts? None? Because as far as I can tell you don't think they belong anywhere in media, or at the very least in media that could be considered "dominated" by males. You are using large breasts as a blanket attribute for not acceptable in any media due to this "larger problem" you keep mentioning(that doesn't seem to apply to this game).

Sorceress doesn't just have big breasts though does she? It's the entire design that is ridiculously offputting. Looking at the gameplay footage and its even worse with the animations.

sonicmj1

I apologize that I don't have time to address every post in this thread, but I'll try to answer this. I think it's important for Kamitani and any other artists who draw similarly juvenile characters to consider the effect of their designs on men, on women, and on gaming culture as a whole. If even one woman feels ostracized or uncomfortable because of art like this - and, judging by the e-mails and messages I've gotten in the past day, quite a few women do feel that way - it's worth talking and thinking about.

I don't want him to censor himself. I want him to ask himself why he's drawing men and women with ridiculous proportions that seem designed to appeal to teenage boys, and I want him to think about how that can be harmful. That's the point of criticism: to get people thinking, and talking, and learning.

Like I've been saying all along, Dragon's Crown is hardly the only offender, and it's certainly not the most blatant example of sexist content in games. But it is one example, and for various reasons, it's the one we're discussing. Hopefully good things can come out of this.

I agree with this idea. With heavily sexualized female designs in games, it's important to think about where, how, and why they're used. If a design like that is being used to pander without considering how it fits into the game as a whole, it doesn't just look stupid; it sends potentially damaging messages. This can take a lot of different forms. Whether it's SC5 Ivy fighting in a leather bikini and four-inch heels in a series with pretty grounded male character design, the uncreative use of gendered insults in Arkham City, or just impractical female armor designs in RPGs, those kinds of designs inadvertently single out women.

However, I don't think that's happening in Dragon's Crown. The entire aesthetic is grotesquely exaggerated. Fighter and Dwarf have torsos the size of an SUV and arms longer than their legs. I think the Sorceress's design makes sense in the context of the full game's art direction, and I think it helps that she's not the default female body type in the game. The exaggeration will definitely be repulsive to some, but it's being done for a carefully considered reason.

Designers should be more careful and considerate with their female designs in general, but jumping at cases like this seems to suggest that any sort of sexualized design in games will always be damaging. I think that position is too extreme.

He writes for Kotaku. I think that says enough without him having to add anything else to it. Unfortunately for him, he decided to I guess. Lol.

Jason has put in a lot of effort to improve the site as of late, and I like his investigative pieces very much. It should be possible to be constructive here.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sorceress doesn't just have big breasts though does she? It's the entire design that is ridiculously offputting. Looking at the gameplay footage and its even worse with the animations.

Offputting to you, attractive to some, meaningless to others.

Yes, we all have opinions.

I don't get this.

I just want to know why you felt it necessarily to include "white" in your original description of who the gaming industry is targeted to. Why did you decide to expand that in your follow up post to all males? Seems like a pretty massive change when you're discussing which specific audience something is supposedly pandering to.

Cartman86

Banned

Nah context isn't important at all. It's impossible to see the difference between a character that is objectified and one that isn't!!!!!!!

Corto

There is a marginal at best link between sexualized characters and the larger problem. Both you and Schreier are reaching instead of focusing on real issues.

Exactly, and Lime is sincere enough to admit it on several posts already. Jason though, comes off as just an opportunist. And remains to be seen if in the future (I won't claim any retroactive judgement as people can change, can learn and become more aware and knowledgeable of specific issues) Jason will be as vigilant and militant on this cause as Lime most certainly is. People that sincerely advocate these causes are consistent. They can have misjudgments as any human, but are consistent in their defense.

Sorceresses/Witches were classified/identified according to the Inquisition Manual "Malleus Malleficarum" as libidinous creatures and that all witchcraft originates from carnal lust. Pretty accurate if you ask me.

edit: I will save this one for Bayonetta 2 future threads.

Lime

Oh, I thought you were being sarcastic. It's incredibly hard to know on GAF, especially in such threads. I apologize.

(and yes, smileys always help with communication and my general mood)

No, you still fail to understand what I mean. It's not about big breasts in themselves - it's about the contemporary societal conditions in which they are part of the media landscape (and how they are presented/used). It's not blanket generalizations that states "NO BIG TITS ALLOWED!", but it's about execution, context, and environment. Bear with me, as I am now generalizing the argument: If a sexualized design of a female character is (1) executed in a reifying manner within (2) a context known for marginalizing women and (3) exposed into an overall environment with proven marginalizing effects on women, then there's an understandable motivation for criticizing the design in itself. I'm not saying that the Sorceress design successfully meets all 3 conditions, but I'm saying that there are reasons for why some people, including Jason Screier, are of the opinion that it is.

But let's leave the discussion be, as it seems my relevance in this thread is not justified :(

Anyone who doesn't think like you is ignorant? Are you really that conceited? You're a primate just like the rest of us.

Okay, now you're just projecting way too much into the discussion.

I disagree, but that's for another thread. Btw, I'd love to read the media effect studies you mentioned if you could PM me the references?

RMI

Banned
Has this thread decided if it's okay to find large breasts appealing yet? I need to know if I'm a bad person or not.

It's not okay to like anything ever. Please maintain an attitude of condescension and snark at all times. If you must like something, make sure you only like it ironically. These are the rules of the internet.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Exactly, and Lime is sincere enough to admit it on several posts already. Jason though, comes off as just an opportunist. And remains to be seen if in the future (I won't claim any retroactive judgement as people can change, can learn and become more aware and knowledgeable of specific issues) Jason will be as vigilant and militant on this cause as Lime most certainly is. People that sincerely advocate these causes are consistent. They can have misjudgments as any human, but are consistent in their defense.
Consistent at derailing threads at the drop of a hat, yeah

I think both you and I would be unable to definitively provide good reasons when we haven't experienced the depiction of the character in its entirety (cutscenes, dialogue, all mechanics, fictional and procedural development, etc.). That being said, my point of departure for this discussion is only in relation to how there are many valid reasons for some people (like Jason Schreier) to feel that this specific design is a symptom of a larger problem in the games industry when being confronted with this specific design in a screenshot or in a trailer. As such, I think it's quite understandable why some people are criticizing it, despite lacking the context of actually playing the entire game.

Fair enough on these points. My biggest issue with Schreier in this case is that it seemed to me he went straight to the soapbox instead of the horse's mouth to begin the discussion.

No, it doesn't. You're making a false conclusion on the provided data and arguments - it's not about denying or completely abandoning the whole endeavour about human communication. And it's not about "carefully engineered media", but being aware as both creator and consumer that there are certain real-life (harmful) effects of the content one produces and consumes and that one would be moral if one paid respect to these aspects of a multi-cultural society*.

Well, I really didn't want to "go there" and claim you were giving support to censorship or propaganda, partially because I certainly don't have any reason to believe that would be your intent, and partially because it just seemed an objectively ridiculous thing to do in this discussion, merely to mention that someone certainly could do that with data like these. I fully admit I have a knee-jerk reaction to be skeptical of studies when I don't know who funded them. I know that sounds like such a shit dismissal of the data, and that's not my intention either, I just know how often studies get quote mined or presented as consensus. I honestly prefer to read peer reviews of studies than the studies themselves in most cases.

But I digress, certainly you've done more homework on the subject than I have, and that's on me. I don't disagree with your intent, I'm just not on board with this particular game being one of the major problem children. Maybe I'm wrong, but I honestly hope not.

Geez guys, you know you can have a variety of character design in a game too right? I think Juri from SF4 looks like Rita Repulsa from Power Rangers but that doesn't mean I'll shit on her fanbase for liking her. The Amazon and Sorceress are fine. They are ridiculous, you look at them and laugh or whatever then you can play someone else that looks better to you.

It's funny that this game is from Vanillaware, which has a rather niche fanbase but it's getting shitted on with this stuff making it seem as it should be seen as a standard for the industry. I believe videogames can have variety like movies, where they can make whatever kind of product they want. I don't like the Onechanbara games but I believe they can exist alongside games like Journey. This isn't even close to a AAA budget game and people are setting this game as some example even though it's just Kamitani wanting to draw a stylized world from a variety of influences, which makes me think a lot of people are missing the forest for the trees. Posting this again because I know a lot of people are probably not gonna bother reading it but it's cool to look at the references and inspirations in this game.

http://art-eater.com/2013/03/from-m...ragons-crown-trailer-is-full-of-epic-homages/

DarkKyo

No, you still fail to understand what I mean. It's not about big breasts in themselves - it's about the contemporary societal conditions in which they are part of the media landscape (and how they are presented/used). It's not blanket generalizations that states "NO BIG TITS ALLOWED!", but it's about execution, context, and environment. Bear with me, as I am now generalizing the argument: If a sexualized design of a female character is (1) executed in a reifying manner within (2) a context known for marginalizing women and (3) exposed into an overall environment with proven marginalizing effects on women, then there's an understandable motivation for criticizing the design in itself. I'm not saying that the Sorceress design successfully meets all 3 conditions, but I'm saying that there are reasons for why some people, including Jason Screier, are of the opinion that it is.

I understand it fine but you aren't adding anything new to the conversation, and I keep trying to get something new out of you. I'm moving on where as you keep treading on the same material.

You still haven't given an example or provided a description as to what would make it acceptable for a large breasted woman to appear in media? The context? The clothing? The intended audience? Please be specific. What is it about this specific context that is so dirty? If you can only say the audience then it is truly a matter of opinion. A sexist person might buy it for sexist reasons, where as someone who likes sorcery may buy it for that reason. You're trying to let perverts define what is okay to show in media. You're giving power to the sexists when you say a woman can't wear a certain thing or fill a certain role or have the spotlight because of them.

I understand it fine but you aren't adding anything new to the conversation, and I keep trying to get something new out of you. I'm moving on where as you keep treading on the same material.

You still haven't given an example or provided a description as to what would make it acceptable for a large breasted woman to appear in media? The context? The clothing? The intended audience? Please be specific. What is it about this specific context that is so dirty? If you can only say the audience then it is truly a matter of opinion. A sexist person might buy it for sexist reasons, where as someone who likes sorcery may buy it for that reason. You're trying to let perverts define what is okay to show in media. You're giving power to the sexists when you say a woman can't wear a certain thing or fill a certain role or have the spotlight because of them.

The issue should be one of how pervasive is this representation and is it just for titillation? That being said targeting a game such as this one doesn't go a long way to convince anyone of the issues at hand. That's what annoys me about this whole thing.

sonicmj1

But I digress, certainly you've done more homework on the subject than I have, and that's on me. I don't disagree with your intent, I'm just not on board with this particular game being one of the major problem children. Maybe I'm wrong, but I honestly hope not.

Given how much Lime is hedging about this particular example, I don't think she does either. But she was bothered by the prevalence of arguments like, "media doesn't have any effect on people," or, "critiquing works like this is censorship," which show up a lot in threads when the designs actually are problematic.

I don't think it makes sense to battle those things here, even if those arguments are wrong. Given the subject of the thread, it's going to muddy the issue to attack those arguments without commenting on the Sorceress herself.

DarkKyo

The issue should be one of how pervasive is this representation and is it just for titillation? That being said targeting a game such as this one doesn't go a long way to convince anyone of the issues at hand. That's what annoys me about this whole thing.

I wholeheartedly agree. It's just the worst example for the argument. I almost feel like this game was picked purely because of the generous size of her breasts and not because the argument actually applies in this case.

7Th

Its all ridiculous and its consistently ridiculous. This aint Tera online.

Eh; I kinda forgive Tera Online more than the average MMORPG because it sexualizes the male characters as much as the female characters:

male-castanics.jpg

Of course, thetarget of Tera's controversy is just that one specific race that got censored for the American release...

i do not understand what the purpose of all these belittling of a game that will not likely move beyond 300,000 units serve, you want to address the so called bigger issue you people eluding to, find a better(worse) game or another industry to pick on, to me all these are just a bunch of elaborate trolls. it's like voting ea as the worst company in america, so dramatic, get over yourself.

Ehhh, this is the thing that most worries me about this. I'm afraid it well end up Muramasa 2.0

It's from the same developer. Considering the same publisher was lining up to publish it (before they closed lol), I don't think it was *that* much of a disaster. And hey, Muramasa is getting a remake (on the Vita lol).

Ehhh, this is the thing that most worries me about this. I'm afraid it well end up Muramasa 2.0

Each character seems to have a lot of variety in their movesets, which is going to be key since this is a beat 'em up that's supposed to have a lot more replay value than your average BEU. This should become a lot clearer once they start revealing more of the gameplay details. I guess that'll start to happen once they finish the character trailers.

kuroshiki

Lime.

no one really gives a shit. Yes I understand your opinion but your opinion is just, you know, your opinion. I think you have tendency to overestimate the importance of your own opinion.

Top Bottom