• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 |OT| Pawnworld

How does this compare to something like Elden ring? In terms of feeling of exploration etc
Exploration in DD2 is much slower and more laborious than Elden Ring. You're bound to the day/night cycle, you need to make camp to pass time and reset your health to full periodically, and there's very limited fast travel and no horse.

Exploration in DD2 is much slower and more laborious than Elden Ring. You're bound to the day/night cycle, you need to make camp to pass time and reset your health to full periodically, and there's very limited fast travel and no horse.
Hm I see. Don’t love the sound of this. Would you recommend as a whole?

DavidGzz

Geriatric band I came across lol, they were fucking up some saurians.
SX5KUMF.jpg

Hm I see. Don’t love the sound of this. Would you recommend as a whole?
The combat is great, probably not quite as good as Elden Ring but up there. The rest of the game, like the first game, is pretty forgettable. The story is on the bad side, the open world is pretty but not super interesting. I'm playing it to scratch my action RPG itch for the next couple of months while I wait for Elden Ring DLC.

Madflavor

Can't say I'm loving it as much as others are. The exploration is fine? It basically amounts to constantly running into packs of goblins, harpies and wolves every minute, occasionally finding a treasure chest, managing inventory cause you're constantly weighed down, and revisiting the same areas over and over again because of the limited fast travel. Game is piss easy. I've run into Ogres, Trolls, Minotaurs, a Chimera, and I think a Lich, and not one of them gave me trouble. I've stumbled upon a couple of big caves, but nothing has blown my socks off, especially after Elden Ring. There's really nothing visually interesting about the world and dungeon/cave designs. It's all pretty generic. Speaking of which, the world and it's people aren't interesting at all, it feels like they're all background noise to what basically amounts to a playground for you to get into big fights.

There are times where I'm enjoying the game a lot, and there are times where I'm actually really bored, even when I'm fighting a big monster. I'm going to keep playing obviously, and I'm hoping at some point it'll click with me more. One other thing I will say is not having a New Game feature for an RPG, is one of the most insane and baffling design choices I've seen in a good while.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Going to wait and jump in when the PC issues are resolved.

I’m hopeful that after about a month in the market, most of the major bugs will have been ironed out and the game runs a little smoother. Might be something I pick up in GeForce Now.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
How does this compare to something like Elden ring? In terms of feeling of exploration etc
not sure if you liked the exploration in elden rings, but i hated its exploration because everywhere you went you got something useless for classes you werent main-ing. Either that or it was some bs boss that took 10-15 tries then gave a crappy reward.

This game is much more fun because of all your coop buddies. The stuff you do find out in the wild is mostly helpful with very rare gear for classes you arent using. you are mostly earning xp which lets you unlock actual skills and abilities instead of putting in 1-2 points into your str, dex etc. a level every few hours.

to me, an open world souls game is a tedious exercise in frustration. this is an open world game done right.

Last edited:

havoc00

not sure if you liked the exploration in elden rings, but i hated its exploration because everywhere you went you got something useless for classes you werent main-ing. Either that or it was some bs boss that took 10-15 tries then gave a crappy reward.

This game is much more fun because of all your coop buddies. The stuff you do find out in the wild is mostly helpful with very rare gear for classes you arent using. you are mostly earning xp which lets you unlock actual skills and abilities instead of putting in 1-2 points into your str, dex etc. a level every few hours.

to me, an open world souls game is a tedious exercise in frustration. this is an open world game done right.
I think you convinced me to buy

I agree, the games hook isn't about finding a single playstyle but getting the player to engage with most or all of them. And because of that, it has one of the best loot systems of any game i have played. You want to explore the world as much as possible because everything feels so valuable.

When it comes to Elden Ring, I have said it before, Fromsoftware should entice or force its players to engage with all of its gameplay systems. Whether that is through weapon degradation or by slowly unlocking different forms of combat throughout the game. Because you are right, once most players find their playstyle and weapon, they just mainline the rest of the game, which kills exploration

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Can't say I'm loving it as much as others are. The exploration is fine? It basically amounts to constantly running into packs of goblins, harpies and wolves every minute, occasionally finding a treasure chest, managing inventory cause you're constantly weighed down, and revisiting the same areas over and over again because of the limited fast travel. Game is piss easy. I've run into Ogres, Trolls, Minotaurs, a Chimera, and I think a Lich, and not one of them gave me trouble. I've stumbled upon a couple of big caves, but nothing has blown my socks off, especially after Elden Ring. There's really nothing visually interesting about the world and dungeon/cave designs. It's all pretty generic. Speaking of which, the world and it's people aren't interesting at all, it feels like they're all background noise to what basically amounts to a playground for you to get into big fights.

There are times where I'm enjoying the game a lot, and there are times where I'm actually really bored, even when I'm fighting a big monster. I'm going to keep playing obviously, and I'm hoping at some point it'll click with me more. One other thing I will say is not having a New Game feature for an RPG, is one of the most insane and baffling design choices I've seen in a good while.
That's how i felt with dd1 and dd2 is not that different, just more refined.

The game needs an hard mode and more enemy variety/quality to find when you explore, trash and medium enemies pose almost no challenge for any dude that has played an action rpg in its life after you adjust to the no roll/lock on.

I'm only less than 10 hours in so i hope things get better, but in other hardcore and challenging action rpg i was dying like a bitch in the fist 10 hours and progression felt way more significant because of the high challenge, the game tries its best to be hardcore with all the "realistic" but mostly annoying game design choices but they forgot that what make a game hardcore is the actual challenge that come from the enemies, not annoying secondary mechanics that mostly waste your time.

Also, for a forum that (supposedly) hate chatty npcs that solve problems for you, the love that pawns get in here is absolutely fucking hilarious, these motherfuckers never shut the fuck up, directly pick stuff for you, point at every secret in the vicinance and put a big icon in your minimap, and if they know the mission it's like playing with a voiced guide, they make look atreus like an ignorant, useless paraplegic in comparison...

I know it's part of the charm of the game, but holy shit at the double standards, not that i'm surprised, but still...
Tbf the pawns are more endearing compared to little shit, i give you that :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

The game remain fun for now but i hope the challenge get much better later because living a power fantasy with barely any challenge is not what i signed for.

Last edited:

Dynasty8

Very different games in comparison, but they both handle exploration really well.

ER is one of my favorite games of all time and I love the solo exploration experience of coming across new areas, optional bosses and secret chests/loot to find.

DD2 is unique in its own way with the pawns giving out hints and other useful tips. There's always some cool shit to discover and quests to come across. I have been getting sidetracked non-stop (and I love that).

They definitely did right by not having endless icons on the map here. It has brought back something that I really enjoy and something that's been missing in games for a VERY long time.... The sense of mystery and discovery. Basically the anti Ubisoft model.

Dynasty8

That's how i felt with dd1 and dd2 is not that different, just more refined.

The game needs an hard mode and more enemy variety/quality to find when you explore, trash and medium enemies pose almost no challenge for any dude that has played an action rpg in its life after you adjust to the no roll/lock on.

I'm only less than 10 hours in so i hope things get better, but in other hardcore and challenging action rpg i was dying like a bitch in the fist 10 hours and progression felt way more significant because of the high challenge, the game tries its best to be hardcore with all the "realistic" but mostly annoying game design choices but they forgot that what make a game hardcore is the actual challenge that come from the enemies, not annoying secondary mechanics that mostly waste your time.

Also, for a forum that (supposedly) hate chatty npcs that solve problems for you, the love that pawns get in here is absolutely fucking hilarious, these motherfuckers never shut the fuck up, directly pick stuff for you, point at every secret in the vicinance and put a big icon in your minimap, and if they know the mission it's like playing with a voiced guide, they make look atreus like an ignorant, useless paraplegic in comparison...

I know it's part of the charm of the game, but holy shit at the double standards, not that i'm surprised, but still...

The game remain fun for now but i hope the challenge get much better later because living a power fantasy with barely any challenge is not what i signed for.

Man...I don't disagree. I am not a fan of games that allow you to pause at any time to heal. It's a cop out of real challenge. Don't get me wrong I am really enjoying the game, but I agree with you, regular mobs should be more challenging and healing during a fight should be limited.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Man...I don't disagree. I am not a fan of games that allow you to pause at any time to heal. It's a cop out of real challenge. Don't get me wrong I am really enjoying the game, but I agree with you, regular mobs should be more challenging and healing during a fight should be limited.
You don't even need to do that since chugging potions in real time is immediate, but sure, jap devs have this weird thing with letting you heal from a menu, it was the same with the last 2 zeldas.
Healing is not even the problem, enemies feel lethargic and barely a menace compared to any hard action rpg, being it a souls or a gow or others.

Last edited:
You don't even need to do that since chugging potions in real time is immediate, but sure, jap devs have this weird thing with letting you heal from a menu, it was the same with the last 2 zeldas.
Healing is not even the problem, enemies feel lethargic and barely a menace compared to any hard action rpg, being it a souls or a gow or others.
I don't think DD2 moment to moment combat is meant to be challenging. None of the different vocations(I have played 5) have been deep or enjoyable enough to play more than a handful of hours with before it starts to get stale. The game prioritizes having a wide variety instead, which I actually like in this case

If the developers made the game challenging it would only heighten how average the combat actually is. When DD2 is mostly just trying to be an immersive power fantasy Sim, which it does amazingly well

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I don't think DD2 moment to moment combat is meant to be challenging. None of their different vocations(I have played 5) have been deep or enjoyable enough to play more than a handful of hours with before it starts to get stale. The game prioritizes having a wide variety instead, which I actually like in this case

If the developers made the game challenging it would only heighten how average the combat actually is. When DD2 is mostly just trying to be an immersive power fantasy Sim, which it does amazingly well
I get what you say, but personally? exploration and progression lose A LOT if there is no challenge to overcome, and the game is strongly based on exploration and progression, let's be real.

Not getting excited for a new weapon or skill because you are already murdering the game is a cardinal sin on my book.

And if the game is not set to be hardcore, why even putting so many design choice that masquerade the game as an hardcore title?

health that you can't recover without camping
no roll or dodge for most classes
no lock on
heavy movements where you have to commit to the animations
no fast travel
rotting food
npcs dying forever if you can't revive them
etc.

it feels like the entire structure is kinda hardcore but they completely forgot to put any challenge when it comes to most enemies, and no, an hard fight every 4-5 hours or more against the hardest enemies in the game doesn't fix 90% of the time with no challenge.

I'm sorry but this just feel like an unbalanced game to me, at least for the first 10 hours, but i don't see how getting even more powerfull is gonna solve things in the future other than just having advanced enemies one shotting you (not exactly the best balance method neither).

P.s. that bolded bit is kinda maddening to read after al the praises the combats gets...

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Watching Lobos play and he has a 4090 but forgoing raytracing. It looks so washed out.

Anyway, I'll never understand the graphics complaint, it's one of the prettiest games I've played. As far as open world games, only maybe Horizon is above it. RDR2, maybe. I think this looks worse and better in its own way.
Yeah it looks amazing and it doesn’t come through on streams at all.
Even console versions have rtgi so the game is designed with it in mind

rofif

Banned
I had one of those moments where I fought an ogre and a Griffith with 3 random people standing on the road with my 3 pawns. Griffith flies away for some reason and these wisps are all around me and the ogre. It felt like something out of Berserk. Fight took a long time. Then I went all the way back to town and purchased/upgraded 10k armor. Now I am feeling like a badass. You go from rags to riches. It just takes endurance and patience.
Are you heavy weight then? Does weight matter or is it just speed ?

NeoLed

I get what you say, but personally? exploration and progression lose A LOT if there is no challenge to overcome, and the game is strongly based on exploration and progression, let's be real.

Not getting excited for a new weapon or skill because you are already murdering the game is a cardinal sin on my book.

And if the game is not set to be hardcore, why even putting so many design choice that masquerade the game as an hardcore title?

no lock on
no fast travel
rotting food
etc.

it feels like the entire structure is kinda hardcore but they completely forgot to put any challenge when it comes to most enemies, and no, an hard fight every 4-5 hours or more against the hardest enemies in the game doesn't fix 90% of the time with no challenge.

I'm sorry but this just feel like a terribly unbalanced game, at least for the first 10 hours, but i don't see how getting even more powerfull is gonna solve things in the future other than just having advanced enemies one shotting you (not exactly the best balance method neither).

P.s. that bolded bit is kinda maddening to read after al the praises the combats gets...
I remember I modded my Skyrim to the game you described. Looks like it fall right to my taste. Slow immersive fantasy adventures rather than hardcore action games

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I remember I modded my Skyrim to the game you described. Looks like it fall right to my taste. Slow immersive fantasy adventures rather than hardcore action games
Yeah of course many people are gonna love the game, no doubt about it

It's just not my favourite game philosophy when it comes to action rpg, but i'm still gonna put 50+ hours into it :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

no lock on
no fast travel
rotting food
etc.

I'm sorry but this just feel like a terribly unbalanced game, at least for the first 10 hours, but i don't see how getting even more powerfull is gonna solve things in the future other than just having advanced enemies one shotting you (not exactly the best balance method neither).

I think those laborious elements you mention are key to the game. They went all out on it, except when it comes to Wakestone's and minimal consequences for dying(outside of losing pawns). If you are going to die so little, they should have made the consequences bigger. That would at least make the game feel more daunting. I haven't died yet, but I'm pretty sure you keep all your gear/coins. I do like that side quests will dissappear if you fail one of them, tho

Regardless, yeah, not perfect. Still very much enjoying it tho

I don't think DD2 moment to moment combat is meant to be challenging. None of the different vocations(I have played 5) have been deep or enjoyable enough to play more than a handful of hours with before it starts to get stale. The game prioritizes having a wide variety instead, which I actually like in this case

NGL, this sounds lame to me. Part 1 combat also wasn’t satisfying to me.

I am liking most other stuff in the game though. Waiting for a few patches before I jump in.

Terenty

no lock on
no fast travel
rotting food
etc.

I'm sorry but this just feel like an unbalanced game to me, at least for the first 10 hours, but i don't see how getting even more powerfull is gonna solve things in the future other than just having advanced enemies one shotting you (not exactly the best balance method neither).

That's what kept the first game from reaching it's full potential for me as well - it was too easy.

What if you impose these self made restrictions, for example, no healing while fighting, and saving only in inns, would it make the game more challenging or simply more tedious?

GymWolf

Gold Member
That's what kept the first game from reaching it's full potential for me as well - it was too easy.

What if you impose these self made restrictions, for example, no healing while fighting, and saving only in inns, would it make the game more challenging or simply more tedious?
More tedious i think, i'm not gonna do the devs job and limit myself because they can't balance their game.

The best i can do is never heal from the menu but only in real time but i'm not gonna make the game more tedious by saving only inside an inn.

This is why balancing is something that i keep in high regard in games.

Last edited:

fallingdove

no lock on
no fast travel
rotting food
etc.

Did you play the first one? I don't know that it's “masquerading” as a hardcore game. I don't know that I would even consider it hardcore. It just plays differently than other open world RPGs.

No mounts, no fast travel, no lock on are design decisions. Venturing out to the furthest edge of your map, not knowing what you’ll encounter, having to account for increased difficulty at night, having to manage your inventory along the way — your max health slowly widdling down, your curative items rapidly disappearing. It leans more survival than your typical open world RPG and that's great. I love Elden Ring and FF7 Rebirth and God of War Ragnarok but they are all very different.

The game isn't crazy hard but there is a tension that you don't get from being able to fast travel whenever you want or jumping on a mount to escape danger. Then as you get stronger and more confident, you feel a unique sense of satisfaction when you can take out a drake that you stumble upon in the middle of the night that you would have been terrified of earlier in the game.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Did you play the first one? I don't know that it's “masquerading” as a hardcore game. I don't know that I would even consider it hardcore. It just plays differently than other open world RPGs.

No mounts, no fast travel, no lock on are design decisions. Venturing out to the furthest edge of your map, not knowing what you’ll encounter, having to account for increased difficulty at night, having to manage your inventory along the way — your max health slowly widdling down, your curative items rapidly disappearing. It leans more survival than your typical open world RPG and that's great. I love Elden Ring and FF7 Rebirth and God of War Ragnarok but they are all very different.

The game isn't crazy hard but there is a tension that you don't get from being able to fast travel whenever you want or jumping on a mount to escape danger. Then as you get stronger and more confident, you feel a unique sense of satisfaction when you can take out a drake that you stumble upon in the middle of the night that you would have been terrified of earlier in the game.
I played the first one yes, and in the sequel they added even more hardcore mechanics so i thought the challenge was also higher, especially when one of the most glaring flaws of the first one was the lack of challenge and how easy was to break.

You may not consider those things like flaws, but many people do, not everyone has the same sensibility when it comes to challenge and balancement.

And yeah, from my understanding all the pr campaign for this game was all about how hardcore and old school the experience was about to be, one save file, limited fast travel, no hand holding, losing health every time you reload, recovering full health at camps, heavy handled stamina and weight system, etc.
And after 10 hours the game is not even THAT non-handholdy as promised, you still have yellow icons for objectives, yellow search zones on the map, pawns literally solving quests or telling you what to do, the missions that require even a bit of investigation are few and far between and if you have good pawns, they are gonna guide you even in these cases, and i'm not even mad at pawns being helpful, their interactions have been the best thing about the game for now.
I'm sure there is gonna be some obtuse sidequest where pawns are not that helpful and the timed thing can be tricky i give you that.

I don't wanna sound overly negative but when i read some opinions\reviews i feel like i'm playing a completely different game, hopefully the first 10 hours are by far the worst, i really hope it's the case.

Last edited:

shubik

This game is fun. I was on my way to the mines when I saw that huge bird thing/griffon on top of a small hill. I got in a fight with it and was able to hurt it bad. I was on top of that thing when it suddenly took of. It flew to its nest where I continued to fight it. Suddenly 3!!! More of these things Land in the nest and they all start fighting me. It was insane. I was able to kill 2 but the third got me…

zapper

I watched a bit of the game which I intend to catch up on later, it seems rather easier compared to the first one or am I wrong? maybe they balanced the difficulty badly but it seems rather simple on the combat side...

Madflavor

It’s interesting to me that some people think this game surpasses Elden Ring’s exploration. I get some of the points being made, but so far the craziest optional thing I’ve found was a fairly large cave with a Chimera and Lich in it, and the reward was some Robes. It was fun, don’t get me wrong. But there are entire zones, giant sprawling zones that are so beautiful and visually unique in their design, that you can accidentally stumble upon in ER.

I get to an extent the fun of exploring the world with a party, but Pawns barely have personalities, and you’re constantly swapping out half of them, so I don’t feel attached to them. Not to mention this dumb fucking Dragonsplague system has me on edge constantly, and not in a good way.

Again, despite my whining I am enjoying the game. But seeing some of the reactions online, it’s like I’m playing a different game from people.

I've decided his game isn't for me. I just don't see the fun. People who are posting how amazing and fun this game is, it's like they are in a different dimension. I am just running around, fighting in sloppy combat with AI companions that either do all the work, or die instantly. After about five hours. I have had essentially zero moments of excitement.

I can't believe anyone is comparing this favourably to Elden Ring. Hell, the worlds of Hogwart's Legacy or Forspoken had me more intrigued than this game.

Time to list my disc for sale.

Edit: just noticed the post above mine.
But seeing some of the reactions online, it’s like I’m playing a different game from people.

Last edited:

Majukun

is the performance still horrible?I don't have a good rig so it would be useless to buy it if it doesn't even run

Top Bottom