• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Comes to PC This January

Dizzy-4U

In the latest Beastcast, Austin Walker mentioned that there was this rumor he heard for years that even before Dragon's Dogma was released for PS3/360, the dev team had a PC build for "recreation" with actual multiplayer in it.

00:26:35 - For anyone who wants to listen to the conversation (very short, about 5 minutes).

Remember when mystic knight used to do that fireball spam thing and the framerate would go into low teens? Never again.

Since i've played this already I'm prepared to wait 6 months for the "full-modded experience" which will be, or at least look, very different to how I remember it.

Not too keen to burn myself out then get a tree mod, add it, get a texture mod a month later that only appears on one low level area in the game etc.

Capcom probably don't wanna hear that since devs like sales front loaded. Odds on how long decent mods are finalized in general?

Akronis

In the latest Beastcast, Austin Walker mentioned that there was this rumor he heard for years that even before Dragon's Dogma was released for PS3/360, the dev team had a PC build for "recreation" with actual multiplayer in it.

00:26:35 - For anyone who wants to listen to the conversation (very short, about 5 minutes).

I will literally suck Capcom's giant japan dick if this is true.

but I doubt it

Akiller

Actually, the general rumor i've read on GAF several times is that MT Framework games are made on PC and then ported to consoles,from that posters assumed a PC version of Dragon's Dogma has been always existed but it never got released cuz Capcom being Crapcom.

And they didn't release it?
MONSTERS.

Remember when mystic knight used to do that fireball spam thing and the framerate would go into low teens? Never again.

Since i've played this already I'm prepared to wait 6 months for the "full-modded experience" which will be, or at least look, very different to how I remember it.

Not too keen to burn myself out then get a tree mod, add it, get a texture mod a month later that only appears on one low level area in the game etc.

Capcom probably don't wanna hear that since devs like sales front loaded. Odds on how long decent mods are finalized in general?

Any mod community for DD is going to take time.
It's not like elder scrolls games where there's a huge established mod community ready to jump on it.

I'd expect just quality of life mods initially. (some class fixes, cheatengine stuff, some pawn AI fixes, letting you turn post aa/vignette and all that other garbage off if there's no ingame settings for it, maybe some UI changes )
If you're looking at texture mods or model swaps I wouldn't expect that for a very long time.

99 percent of the pc community doesn't even know this exists. (gaf knows, but reddit doesn't and most people I have on my steam don't know about it)
I think there's no way that this game won't become a cult classic on pc over time if they don't fuck up the port but it's going to take a long time for word of mouth to really start rolling.

Look how long it took for the general population to give two fucks about the witcher... (though that game isn't nearly as good)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
99 percent of the pc community doesn't even know this exists. (gaf knows, but reddit doesn't

DeGZWgB.png

Anko

Any reason why the game is region locked and not available in asia (the game is available for retail on playstation 3 here)? This is the first time since bionic commando that a game from Capcom has been region locked.

FF5 from SE is the same, it's getting frustrating.

BjUMiiF.jpg

Wtf. It's digital only right?

Wtf?!

Please tell me it's because it's early on and they're trying to get the region shit sorted?

Sectus

Maybe they had that as part of an early prototype? If they actually had working multiplayer implemented near the end of the project but didn't do anything with it, I'm gonna go be sad and eat my socks.

Speaking of prototypes, not sure if many people here have seen this, but there's this greenlight video they showed off at GDC a couple of years back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQFKnH9SlQQ

Pretty fun to see. And if they ever had multiplayer up and running, it's possible they had it there, and maybe it was quicker to implement for a playable prototype than working pawn AI.

I'd expect just quality of life mods initially. (some class fixes, cheatengine stuff, some pawn AI fixes, letting you turn post aa/vignette and all that other garbage off if there's no ingame settings for it, maybe some UI changes )
If you're looking at texture mods or model swaps I wouldn't expect that for a very long time.

I'm willing to bet texture and model modding will be possible a very short time after release. Most MT Framework games have tools for importing models, and I don't think there's any MT Framework where we don't have tools for editing textures.

Besides that, I think your expectations are pretty realistic. There are no official modding tools, there's no existing PC fan base, so there's no chance the modding scene for Dragon's Dogma will get close to something like Skyrim. I hope there will be a lot of interest though and we'll get a growing modding scene for the game.

Nzyme32

99 percent of the pc community doesn't even know this exists. (gaf knows, but reddit doesn't and most people I have on my steam don't know about it)
I think there's no way that this game won't become a cult classic on pc over time if they don't fuck up the port but it's going to take a long time for word of mouth to really start rolling.

I think this is almost the exact position Valkyria Chronicles was in for PC - almost the same groups of people know of it and don't know of it; the fans that do know of it inform the others in a very loud way as we have already seen and that will continue later approaching and after release for a fair while and during subsequent sales / updates etc. This is hardly something new.

I think this overcomes a few of the issues Valkyria had though, such as being a game with "anime" styling, that can be a turn off to quite a few who haven't experienced games they like in such a style.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wtf. It's digital only right?

Wtf?!

Please tell me it's because it's early on and they're trying to get the region shit sorted?

Even if the game remains unavailable on your store, you can still have someone gift it to you.

Anko

Even if the game remains unavailable on your store, you can still have someone gift it to you.

The hoops I have to jump through to get a game. I was willing to gift this to a few friends, and have been asking ever gamer I knew to give it a try. I love the game, but not offering it to Asia (or is it just my country?) does not sit well with me.

Teeth

having multiplayer working in a dev environment and having multiplayer working for consumers are two ENTIRELY different things. For an open world game of this magnitude, that would be exponentially harder.

In a dev environment, you can always maintain players staying together like pawns do. Letting players wander around the world, aggro-ing monsters, picking up quests, etc....would be a synchronizing nightmare.

I wouldn't be surprised if the multiplayer stuff was to help develop the pawn system - get the classes balanced, see what makes for effective combinatorial actions. Not for going on big expansive quests.

And yes, if you simply edit the outift variable for an NPC to be 00, then you'll have made the inevitable nude mod:
http://abload.de/img/reynardwus9c.jpg (a bit NSFW)

Could this mod be used on the Arisen to remove their scar/bandage? I always wanted to go shirtless with my Arisen, but the bandage always ruined the look.

Anyway, I'll throw in another word of praise towards the character creation/Fashion's Dogma. My only real complaint was the fact that with the Lupine and Direwolf Veil there was no Hellhound one, as my character was based around the Wizard/Jackal (looks wise, not clothing wise) from Gauntlet Legends, so a black wolf hood would have completed the look.

Sectus

Could this mod be used on the Arisen to remove their scar/bandage? I always wanted to go shirtless with my Arisen, but the bandage always ruined the look.

That'll be easy to do. If you make the alpha for the scar texture all black you won't see it anymore.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
From a monster-slaying point-of-view, casters are the best class in the game, if we're talking about efficiency.

Eh, I'd argue Strider or Ranger win in terms of efficiency. Tenfold Flurry plus Hundred/Thousand Kisses will make short work of pretty much everything in the game very quickly. As far as spectacle and empowerment go, though, Sorcerer certainly wins by a landslide.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Huh, the two threads I saw yesterday (in r pc gaming and r pcmr) had like 100 replies each... and were like 5 pages down.

I imagine people who following both of those subs probably follow Games as well, and I'd also imagine most don't typically upvote the same news twice in two places.

Games is the most general one, so gets the most hits.

Sanctuary

internal pc build with multiplayer?

damn...we aren't getting that

Wouldn't be surprised if they just took what they learned from doing that and applied it towards making Dragon's Dogma Online. Since they actually want to make money off of DDO, it wouldn't make sense to add multiplayer to the first game.

Eh, I'd argue Strider or Ranger win in terms of efficiency. Tenfold Flurry plus Hundred/Thousand Kisses will make short work of pretty much everything in the game very quickly. As far as spectacle and empowerment go, though, Sorcerer certainly wins by a landslide.

Mystic Knight = solo the entire game with ease (any class could, but MK just blows everyone away at it).

Magic Archer = coolest abilities for the "Strider" types, and I'd argue that they are also more efficient than either the Strider or Ranger at everything other than climbing. Maybe only the Assassin beats them at strictly melee. Maybe. Also, of the Strider types, the Magic Archer blows the others away in terns of overall usefulness in Bitter Black Isle. It's not even close there.

Sorcerer = feeling like a god.

I think this is almost the exact position Valkyria Chronicles was in for PC - almost the same groups of people know of it and don't know of it; the fans that do know of it inform the others in a very loud way as we have already seen and that will continue later approaching and after release for a fair while and during subsequent sales / updates etc. This is hardly something new.

I think this overcomes a few of the issues Valkyria had though, such as being a game with "anime" styling, that can be a turn off to quite a few who haven't experienced games they like in such a style.

Yeah, but even VC with it's "Anime... Hentai... Uguu sugoi... kawaii" stigma bollocks managed to crack half a million sales on PC. That's 10x the sales of the latest retail-released Final Fantasy game's PC sales (And still higher than all the FF games on Steam except VII!), and around 2x to 3x the amount of other back-catalog Sega games rereleased on Steam.

draetenth

I'm going to optimize/min-max my character and pawn this time. IIRC there are only two stats that really matter: strength for the physical classes (fighter, warrior, strider, ranger, and assassin) and magic for the magical classes (mystic knight, mage, sorcerer, magic archer). The assassin has the best strength growth rate making it the best class to level up as for playing the physical classes and the sorcerer has the best magic growth rate making it the best class to level as for playing the magic classes.

Pawns can't be hybrids so no Assassin which means they can't get the "best" strength growth rate so I'm making my pawn a sorcerer. IIRC the pawns are actually pretty decent in this game. I remember thinking they did a good job no matter what class they were as long as they had decent skills, knew the monsters they were fighting (so awesome how they pointed out weak spots I didn't know existed), and had good inclinations.

Seems like the best path to level is:

Main Character: Level 2 - 10 as a Fighter (you can only start as a fighter, mage, or strider - fighter wins because they have the best strength growth rate) -> Level 11 - 200 has an Assassin

Main Pawn: Level 2 - 10 as a Mage (same as above except the mage has the highest magic growth rate of the three) -> Level 11 - 200 as a Sorcerer.

Of course this is only for leveling. I will probably be changing what I play as for variety anyway and switch back to the Assassin/Sorcerer when I'm close to leveling up. Thankfully vocation levels aren't tied to character level so I can work on getting the other vocations leveled up to get some more skills.

I'm probably going to round out my team with a Ranger (loved these guys) and a mage (back up spells for the sorcerer and they only vocation with a healing spell).

Fasty

Maybe I can finally use the mystic knights grand cannon without the game turning into a slideshow.

Admittely I like when that stuff happens cause it makes me feel like I'm drunk with power.

Yeah, it really had the feeling of "not even my console can't handle how powerful I am right now" which was kind of fun.

Alex

Yeah, but even VC with it's "Anime... Hentai... Uguu sugoi... kawaii" stigma bollocks managed to crack half a million sales on PC. That's 10x the sales of the latest retail-released Final Fantasy game's PC sales (And still higher than all the FF games on Steam except VII!), and around 2x to 3x the amount of other back-catalog Sega games rereleased on Steam.

The original Valkyria was fairly tame in the ol' otaku influences outside of a few moments, it was very 90s-esque in that it was more worldly and less awkward. Part of the reason it's so widely accepted outside of the introverted norm.

I don't know if it'll do as well as Valkyria but Dragon's Dogma should do well. It has a nice,universally appealing aesthetic and like the better preforming console to PC stragglers it is a genuinely great playing title. Of the handful of remaining console exclusives nowadays that's a rare and important trait.

Type-0 had a mildly negative stigma and it is somewhat pricey for what it is. Final Fantasy (very deservedly) doesn't have the good will it used to from the Sakaguchi/Uematsu days so it's not surprising if it wasn't as well received on PC. We'll see after a few sales how things go.

Cyrano

Focused Bolt will do the same with a powerful enough weapon. They're fast, can be setup to go off when enemies are nearby (thus negating the need to find your enemies), have excellent homing, and do great damage with proper gear. Never need to even put yourself in harm's way and you still do fast, powerful damage. I'd say that's about as efficient as you can get.

Anteater

Yeah MK is basically god like since it's the kind of game where you could literally perfect block everything including magic as far as I know, it's a blast to play tho since I love blocking the shit out of everything and shoot magic balls back at them.

Assassin's counter is the same too and I quite enjoy messing around on those 2 classes because of that.

Looking at some old screenshots I took, the lighting at night is so amazing I can't wait to see it in higher res, and it has some really neat fire/explosion effects

and I no longer need to take screenshots for ants

I think the game has a lot of potentials and it would be cool if they go the extra mile and tweak graphic effects, and stuff like draw distance, but hey at least we're getting a port, can't really complain

Sendero

If the port has indeed being in the work since early this year, hope they fix at least the most glaring bugs from the original version, like that Mage augment that it's supposed to grant double protection, but actually made you/your pawn receive tons of damage.

Also, wonder if they will include all the DLCs released after Arisen as part of the pre-order.

I'm going to optimize/min-max my character and pawn this time. IIRC there are only two stats that really matter: strength for the physical classes (fighter, warrior, strider, ranger, and assassin) and magic for the magical classes (mystic knight, mage, sorcerer, magic archer).
I'm sure we will be discussing this near January, but If you are aiming to become an Assassin, you really want to have a large magick attack level at the end - the best daggers are imbued with it.

Think that goes for all the classes, actually.

I'm sure we will be discussing this near January, but If you are aiming to become an Assassin, you really want to have a large magick attack level at the end - the best daggers are imbued with it.

Think that goes for all the classes, actually.

yeah it was based on maximising the damage output of weapons used.

60/40 split of physical/magic damage was what was hot on the streets for holy dagger assassin and a mystic knight build. I think people will just respec all the time trying different things and (even further) damage testing (looking at log files and so on).

Sanctuary

yeah it was based on maximising the damage output of weapons used.

60/40 split of physical/magic damage was what was hot on the streets for holy dagger assassin and a mystic knight build. I think people will just respec all the time trying different things and (even further) damage testing (looking at log files and so on).

Absolutely none of that min/maxing is needed for anything in the main game. Most of the people who would suggest leveling to 100 - 200 in any particular vocation were talking most about online Ur-Dragon. For anyone interested in doing that fight, min/maxing makes sense, but for a normal playthrough it kills much of the enjoyment, since you don't actually even get to play your intended class until the game is almost already over. You only need a solid base before changing classes.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Focused Bolt will do the same with a powerful enough weapon. They're fast, can be setup to go off when enemies are nearby (thus negating the need to find your enemies), have excellent homing, and do great damage with proper gear. Never need to even put yourself in harm's way and you still do fast, powerful damage. I'd say that's about as efficient as you can get.

Fair enough!

Absolutely none of that min/maxing is needed for anything in the main game. Most of the people who would suggest leveling to 100 - 200 in any particular vocation were talking most about online Ur-Dragon. For anyone interested in doing that fight, min/maxing makes sense, but for a normal playthrough it kills much of the enjoyment, since you don't actually even get to play your intended class until the game is almost already over. You only need a solid base before changing classes.

Never said anything is must-have at all, not sure what you're talking about, nice try though. It was just what people where doing and talking about on forums.

Most of my enjoyment came from end game using optimized builds with specific weapons it also made farming the infinite spawning cursed dragon on bitterblack quite fun in and of itself.

Sanctuary

Never said anything is must-have at all, not sure what you're talking about, nice try though. It was just what people where doing and talking about on forums.

I never said that you stated this either. It was more of a general statement of the topic, which you were replying to. Whenever people start discussing builds, it almost always devolves into "well, to get the most out of..." followed with "100 - 200 levels of...". A lot of the hybrid vocations have a stat growth that benefits two different playstyles as well, so it's not like there's really much to think about for a typical playthrough unless you don't actually want to use both aspects of the hybrid and soley focus on one. Usually there's not really much reason to go beyond 20 - 50 levels at most of a basic vocation, like leveling a Sorcerer a bit more just to give a boost to the Magic Archer's magic damage.

Most of my enjoyment came from end game using optimized builds with specific weapons it also made farming the infinite spawning cursed dragon on bitterblack quite fun in and of itself.

Good for you I guess, but I don't see most people doing this for a first playthrough. I also don't really consider leveling up "most of the game" in a vocation you don't even care about other than using it for "end game" stat boosts as fun. It's like I said in my previous statement, the game is already over by that point. That kind of stuff is for replays. It's not like the game is difficult anyway, unless you're trying to solo hard mode. You never really specified an initial playthrough either, but for many it will be.

I never said that you stated this either.

But your making a statement of contradiction using mine as a base which said nothing about what is needed for the "main game".

"Absolutely none of that min/maxing is needed for anything in the main game." 1st line - I dunno, it sounds like a counter argument to me?

If you want to make a point don't try and put things in quotes that aren't there to begin with. Just sayin. Also I disagree that Dogma is mostly over by playing the main game, I'd argue most of the fun the endgame scenario where people loop bitterblack and rent pawns to acquire xp and farm materials, dragonforge their gear abusing cursed dragon spawn etc. If you weren't at endgame stats by then you would be soon enough. Sure most casuals would stop by then, nothing wrong with that, but they're not experiencing what makes the game so great (imo). The post-game black cat re-positioning is designed for duping materials over and over from bitterblack.

The game is probably the most fun ones I've seen at looping/farming, the story isn't that great so the best of the game is being missed just by playing it until you see the credits or just beating Daimon once the calling it quits.

I also don't really consider leveling up "most of the game" in a vocation you don't even care about other than using it for "end game" stat boosts as fun. It's like I said in my previous statement, the game is already over by that point. That kind of stuff is for replays. It's not like the game is difficult anyway, unless you're trying to solo hard mode. You never really specified an initial playthrough either, but for many it will be.

The people who do this, do this afterwards experimenting with builds. You making counter arguments to arguments that where never made in the first place.

"playing most of the game in a vocation you don't even care about". Never said that or reccomended it as necessary at all lol. In fact I think that's the wrong way to play it for a newcomer. This is just what people do to optimize their builds, and to forstall the inevitable "that's not necessary", yes I know for the 100th time.

Been waiting for the port since the PS3 release, actually stopped playing it because I wanted my first playthrough to have a decent framerate all the way. Went away for a week and I'm welcomed by this news for my return.
Feels bretty good.

Hope they tweak the difficulty, the start of the game is great with it being fairly difficult but that only lasts a handful of hours before you can steam roll everything

Lux R7

Hope they tweak the difficulty, the start of the game is great with it being fairly difficult but that only lasts a handful of hours before you can steam roll everything

in hard mode (which is the true DD DA, to me) u can still die on a bandit's fireball on lvl 30. The difficulty is there, in my opinion.
I would cancel normal mode and make hard mode normal :D

Nemmy

in hard mode (which is the true DD DA, to me) u can still die on a bandit's fireball on lvl 30. The difficulty is there, in my opinion.
I would cancel normal mode and make hard mode normal :D

I got mixed feelings on DD's hard mode tbh. The huge boost to XP and gold drops wreck the early game's economy, and the sped up stamina drain means 1) you can sprint even less than usual which is tedious, and 2) you can use your skills less, which makes the game less fun overall because you either encumber your Arisen with extra shrooms or liquid vims, or just waste more time spamming regular attacks.
I don't know, I spent a bunch of hours playing fresh Mage on hard mode, then reduced to normal and never looked back :/ it's fun for high level characters though.

Top Bottom