• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Really wish that Clairvoyance had been buffed to Masterful Kill's level where the attack works on all enemy types. I like sword Assassins but that's annoying.

Still loving this game, I'm just getting into the BBI stuff.

what is RC used for? I havent used any and I just finished the "salvation" quest.

There's a merchant at the Encampment (Johnathan) who charges in Rift Crystals and sells stuff that's related to character customisation and pawn inclination.

On Bitterblack Isle the Rift Crystals become a lot more important because they are the major currency used to upgrade weapons, etc.

Alucrid

Banned
Just started my NG+, gonna head through BBI then head for 2.0 and farm the last guy. Looks like I'm gonna have to switch to assassin though. :(

Thanks for canceling my quests without telling me, Aldous.

And thanks to the game for saving immediately afterwards and overriding my last checkpoint save.

Holy crap, the additional content in this game alone is worth the $40.

I am amazed at how much work Capcom obviously put into this game. I'm having so much fun with this.

New enemies, new weapons and armor, further upgrades, skill upgrades, the BBI dungeon is huge, the boss fights are tons of fun and totally unique encounters.

I know people complained about how tough BBI was before, and I really don't understand that.

I've had to run from a large number of enemies in BBI, and I think that's the point. The enforcer, the gorecyclops, the elder ogres and the dragon corpses are all far too much for me to handle; however, the bosses are not (though they're quite difficult).

The two bosses I've fought so far were both hard to kill, had a unique weakness and a unique way of fighting. They've been long epic fights where I was constantly in danger of being killed - even in ONE HIT - but defeating them was still possible. When I beat the second boss I gained FIVE LEVELS after about a 30-40 minute fight. It's such a satisfying experience.

Not only that the music for those boss encounters is SO good. All of the new tracks for BBI are SOOO GOOD. I've been hearing the "this enemy is stronger than you" music for mostly every encounter and I just love it.

Any game that plans DLC should strive to make it like this. Capcom outdid themselves with this expansion. It is a VERY welcome addition to the original game.

The only thing I'm a little disappointed in right now is it seems nobody ever hires my pawn. :(
I'm really not sure what's wrong with her that nobody wants her. She is a fighter right now and I find her quite helpful. She doesn't die easily and she is effective both at doing damage and keeping enemies from harming me. She climbs enemies and goes to town on them, and when she uses that skewer move (flesh skewer? soul skewer? can't remember) the enemies are locked down and free for me to unload on them. If somebody could tell me the reason I don't get any pawn hires, I would greatly appreciate it... my pawn is a good pawn, she deserves some attention

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Turning off all the HUD elements makes the game so immersive, love it...wish you could do this in every game.

Turning off all the HUD elements makes the game so immersive, love it...wish you could do this in every game.
Couldn't agree more. I especially love the fact that you can toggle the various HUD elements individually. It can't be too much more development effort to achieve it, and you effectively keep everyone happy. Personally I roll with no HUD whatsoever most of the time for that extra immersiveness you mentioned, but turn the health/stamina bars on during boss-type fights.

maomaoIYP

Hmm, I was testing it out and found that although you can't directly gift pawns the uncursed BBI items, you can gift them the cursed versions. Not only that, gifting the cursed armor changes the type of armor it is.

I had a lvl 3 that was a body piece, I gifted it to my secondary profile and it turned into a head piece. In theory you could use this to re-roll your armor pieces until you get the part that you want.

burgerdog

Hmm, I was testing it out and found that although you can't directly gift pawns the uncursed BBI items, you can gift them the cursed versions. Not only that, gifting the cursed armor changes the type of armor it is.

I had a lvl 3 that was a body piece, I gifted it to my secondary profile and it turned into a head piece. In theory you could use this to re-roll your armor pieces until you get the part that you want.

Far easier to just kill Daimon again. Takes about five minutes from shortcut #2 to dead Daimon. Another thing, if you would have sent that cursed item back to your main profile, it would still be a body piece. Try it.

Naeblish

I think i have encountered a bug with the rise of the fallen quest. I did the first part where you
get the second key to salvation from the cult guy
. But i don't have the key anywhere, it's not in my inventory, pawn inventory or storage. I also can't buy it from the black cat.

phierce

I think i have encountered a bug with the rise of the fallen quest. I did the first part where you
get the second key to salvation from the cult guy
. But i don't have the key anywhere, it's not in my inventory, pawn inventory or storage. I also can't buy it from the black cat.
So you confronted the cult guy and made him give you the key, and now it's gone? Did you try the door or noticed before you went?
Try a reload and hopefully that works.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Couldn't agree more. I especially love the fact that you can toggle the various HUD elements individually. It can't be too much more development effort to achieve it, and you effectively keep everyone happy. Personally I roll with no HUD whatsoever most of the time for that extra immersiveness you mentioned, but turn the health/stamina bars on during boss-type fights.

I only ever have the status of your group on. I figure if I had 3 people with me they could tell me if they were completely ducked up and needed that health.

BBI has me turning it on for the bosses...which is a nice change of pace. :)

Was it the room with the Sorcerers? One of the Cyclops healed when I was hitting it. Maybe a Sorcerer did it?

The only other thing I can think of is a Harpy/Succubus song healing it.

it was the first room on the left, just beside the bridge and that tower you descend. i had sirens in the room. if they can heal maybe that's an explanation.

Sanctuary

So, I just fought my first
thunder drake
, and it seems undertuned? It's just a damage sponge that kind of just
hovers in the air not really doing anything...ever. Even when it decides to use it's breath weapon, it pretty much does nothing at all to my pawns.
. As a Magick Archer, I kind of feel sorry for it, because it literally can't do anything at all. As soon as it tries to
fly back up, it gets shot down instantly.

It was also kind enough to
upgrade my one star Dragon's Tempest and Adept robes.

So, I just fought my first
thunder drake
, and it seems undertuned? It's just a damage sponge that kind of just
hovers in the air not really doing anything...ever. Even when it decides to use it's breath weapon, it pretty much does nothing at all to my pawns.
. As a Magick Archer, I kind of feel sorry for it, because it literally can't do anything at all. As soon as it tries to
fly back up, it gets shot down instantly.

It was also kind enough to
upgrade my one star Dragon's Tempest and Adept robes.

Are you talking about a
wyvern? The kind with the weak point on their back instead of their chest? I just fought the one atop Bluemoon Tower, myself. It was a pretty fun fight with just me (assassin) and my main pawn (a fighter). No heals, just wyvern killing goodness! The fire dragons are actually the only ones called a "drake", the blue dragons that use ice magic are wyrms, and the green ones that use thunder magic are wyverns.

edit: Whoops, didn't realize I was double posting... I think that's a good sign I'm exhausted and need to go to bed.

I would just like to give a nice big, bold, and underlined, "FUCK YOU!" to the idiots that put a Macabre Sculpture up on the tower in the first area of the 2nd stratum.

Spent over an hour luring those cuntshitter Strigois to the bridge -- oh, but no too far, because once you cross an invisible wall the fuckcocks DISAPPEAR! Genius! It's soooooo goddamn stupid, finicky, and inconsistent, rancid bullshit. Grab on too early: can't get the distance to the tower. Grab on too late, you're too low and will hit the invisible wall, making the shits vanish like a fart in the wind!

Oh, yeah, the fucks just loooove to penetrate you with their crimson-tipped, glow-pricks of eternal-stick-waggling -- feels like I'm flicking a giant robo-clit every 30 fucking seconds.

Would it really have been that difficult to have one -- just ONE! -- goddamn flying fuckdick spawn at the tower every 5 times you enter the area, or something, MAYBE!?

Not to mention the fact that you have to be a staff wielding vocation or you're fucked with completing the fucking quest because you have to fucking levitate the rest of the fucking way to the fucking tower because it's fucking impossible to get up to the fucking thing through any other fucking means!

FUCK!

I finally fucking did it... but... fuck.

Is there another statue quest after the first one to get 10? I got a Cursed Kings Belt from that quest, right after an Eliminator dropped one anyway.

Sanctuary

Are you talking about a
wyvern? The kind with the weak point on their back instead of their chest? I just fought the one atop Bluemoon Tower, myself. It was a pretty fun fight with just me (assassin) and my main pawn (a fighter). No heals, just wyvern killing goodness! The fire dragons are actually the only ones called a "drake", the blue dragons that use ice magic are wyrms, and the green ones that use thunder magic are wyverns.

edit: Whoops, didn't realize I was double posting... I think that's a good sign I'm exhausted and need to go to bed.

Yeah, I guess it was a
wyvern
. They seem like palette swaps anyway though since they seem to have the same abilities other than the element involved.

Naeblish

So you confronted the cult guy and made him give you the key, and now it's gone? Did you try the door or noticed before you went?
Try a reload and hopefully that works.
I got the key and then just on went doing something else. After a while, i got back on the quest and entered the catacombs, only to find out i couldn't progress further because i didn't have the key to open the door. Oh well, just a side quest, think ill just continue without it. Reload isn't an option because i have played many hours since then. This game really needs multiple saves, although i do like the autosave after an important decision during a quest, basically making it permanent without the ability to go back.

phierce

I got the key and then just on went doing something else. After a while, i got back on the quest and entered the catacombs, only to find out i couldn't progress further because i didn't have the key to open the door. Oh well, just a side quest, think ill just continue without it.
You may know this, but just in case...
There are two locked doors. One requires key #1, and the other requires key #2. Did you try the right locked door?

phierce

Pretty sure yes, the one with the dudes that blow up behind it.
If you care enough to check it again, I'm pretty sure key #2 opens the other door (the door is closer by entering the main catacombs entrance). Might be a wasted trip, but trying to help lol.

blade85

Neo Member
Question for those playing dark arisen, I cant seem to access the wiki a work, and the game was delivered today, so starting to read up on it lol.

- Are the new weapons and armours any good (I have everything from the main game + all the Ur-Dragon drops on myself and my Pawn). PS i'm assassins class and have a fighter as my pawn.

- I'm assuming level 200 is still the level cap? Was it 200? was it 199? Cant remember, havent played it for a few months after I maxed everything out.

maomaoIYP

Far easier to just kill Daimon again. Takes about five minutes from shortcut #2 to dead Daimon. Another thing, if you would have sent that cursed item back to your main profile, it would still be a body piece. Try it.

Really? That's a little disappointing.... Still a great way to supply my secondary profile with items though.

edit: By the way, do you know any easy to access chest that gives lv 2 armor? I'm trying to get all the armor pieces but it's harder to find a lv 2 than a lv 3.

Some questions again:

How do you play vs drakes as assassin, I killed the one on the world map but it was very tedious.
The camera keeps failing miserably when you get under it to hit the heart and because you step forward every time you hit you keep having to turn around.
Grabbing on to his chest is hard with the camera and him constantly moving around and being blocked , I end up grabbing an arm or something and then he throws me off.
He took forever to kill.

I saw a skill at rank9 for assassin that mentions poisons doing more dmg, huh? what poisons?

Any fun skill combo for assassin , getting bored of the hundred kisses + the dash + the easy kill one, especially since I don't get that many chances to use the latter.

Also once again if anyone around lvl 43 wants to use my pawn or wants me to use theirs on ps3 send me a pm.

Sectus

I made this video ages ago, but I might as well post it here. Here's a video showing some day/night cycles in Dragon's Dogma: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZeqRT332ng

Really wish that Clairvoyance had been buffed to Masterful Kill's level where the attack works on all enemy types. I like sword Assassins but that's annoying.

Still loving this game, I'm just getting into the BBI stuff.

Doesn't clairvoyance work on everything too? You don't get the unique animation against bigger enemies, but it should still hit and deal damage. I've had the counter attack miss against a few enemies though. When beating bitterblack isle of the first time, I actually ended up using clairvoyance as one of my primary skills against the boss.

Question for those playing dark arisen, I cant seem to access the wiki a work, and the game was delivered today, so starting to read up on it lol.

- Are the new weapons and armours any good (I have everything from the main game + all the Ur-Dragon drops on myself and my Pawn). PS i'm assassins class and have a fighter as my pawn.

- I'm assuming level 200 is still the level cap? Was it 200? was it 199? Cant remember, havent played it for a few months after I maxed everything out.
I never went out of my way to get the best of the best items in the original game, but the stuff I've found in Dark Arisen has drastically higher stats than my equipment from the original game.

And yes, 200 is still max.

Some questions again:

How do you play vs drakes as assassin, I killed the one on the world map but it was very tedious.
The camera keeps failing miserably when you get under it to hit the heart and because you step forward every time you hit you keep having to turn around.
Grabbing on to his chest is hard with the camera and him constantly moving around and being blocked , I end up grabbing an arm or something and then he throws me off.
He took forever to kill.

I saw a skill at rank9 for assassin that mentions poisons doing more dmg, huh? what poisons?

Any fun skill combo for assassin , getting bored of the hundred kisses + the dash + the easy kill one, especially since I don't get that many chances to use the latter.

Also once again if anyone around lvl 43 wants to use my pawn or wants me to use theirs on ps3 send me a pm.

I use bow as the primary weapon against drakes. If you manage to hit the heart, the bow will do quite a lot of damage.

I suggest experimenting with the other weapons the assassin can use. The sword is very effective overall as well. Dire gouge works extremely well when climbing on big enemies (I get the impression it's the highest damage skill against big enemies for melee classes).

When I play as the assassin I actually keep all 4 weapon types (daggers, bow, sword and shield) with me at all times and change based on what I'm fighting. Keep in mind that you can wield sword and bow at the same time, or daggers and shield.

Questions

1. How do you determine how good a shield is, defense-wise? It only lists strength and magick as stats (are those the determining characteristics?)

2. Is Magick an attack stat for a physical melee weapon? I have an enchanted weapon I found with a very high magick stat, but I can't use it yet to test out myself.

3. Any tips for building a good Sorcerer character? I've heard it's good to equip at least one low level spell so they can cast fast. My main pawn (Sorc) is level 30, check her out if you want (GT: MouseOfTheField), I've added that stuff to the spreadsheet too.

4. Do the anodyne spells only target single people?

CaVaYeRo

Liked the first one's concept and scoop, but it was ugly and limited imo - almost forgot it. Do you think I could fall in love with this one?

My brother loved it, so it could make for some good weekends.

Sectus

I might be wrong with a few details. But this is how I think it works:

1: I think strength is the defense against physical attacks and magick is the defense against magical attacks. I think those are added to the overall defense stats for your character. Blocking with any shield negates all damage (unless it's an attack which can't be blocked).

2: Yes, that's an attack stat. You also get a magick attack stat if a magic user enchants your weapon (I don't think that's added on top of a weapon's magick stat if it already has one).

3: A good balance works well. When considering the really slow spells (bolide, gicel, etc) I only recommend carrying one or two of them; they're so overfly powerful that you have no reason to carry more. Most of the time you'll rely on faster casting spells (ingle, comestion, exeguy and etc).

4: It has an area of effect. Everybody standing where it's cast will be healed.

Liked the first one's concept and scoop, but it was ugly and limited imo - almost forgot it. Do you think I could fall in love with this one?

My brother loved it, so it could make for some good weekends.

It's the same game but with improvements and new content. If you didn't like the original, you won't like this either.

Top Bottom