• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Demo Impressions

Anteater

soon to be the best game ever?

It's a thin line between failure and success

agokm7.gif

sublimit

Banned
WOW, this game really is very, very large! Check this video out from Rob Cram showing just how big the game really is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q3BJUgm-fI

Also nice how much random stuff it tracks, that's a pretty impressive "History" feature there which I've never seen highlighted before.

At 02.26 did he say 50 or 15 hours?
The areas he explored are not even 2/5 of the map so if only that took him 50 hours then holy shit how huge is the whole map?!!

Rubikant

This guy is really pumping out the footage and is digging in deep with this game. Which I am betting you really kind of have to, if you want to see the best it has to offer. At least that is the overall impression I have of Dragon's Dogma.

I agree, it seems to be one of those games where you'll get a lot out of it, but only if you put a lot into it. Kind of like Monster Hunter. I also think that may be part of the reason for the review scores being so varied (again, like Monster Hunter in the West, which also suffered from reviewers either loving it or thinking it's stupid and boring).

ironcreed

Banned
I agree, it seems to be one of those games where you'll get a lot out of it, but only if you put a lot into it. Kind of like Monster Hunter. I also think that may be part of the reason for the review scores being so varied (again, like Monster Hunter in the West, which also suffered from reviewers either loving it or thinking it's stupid and boring).

Yeah, makes sense. I think that indeed has a lot to do with it, and is why I am not really surprised at there being a few odd man out reviews. Glad to see that it is strongly leaning more towards the positive end thus far, though.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Pre-ordered, finally. Better late than never, right?

Don't know if this one's been answered already but:

Do you guys know if we'll be able to trade our pawns with people all over the world or if it's region based? Would be cool if we could trade between GAF members, as someone else suggested earlier.

Anteater

Pre-ordered, finally. Better late than never, right?

Don't know if this one's been answered already but:

Do you guys know if we'll be able to trade our pawns with people all over the world or if it's region based? Would be cool if we could trade between GAF members, as someone else suggested earlier.

I think it's worldwide, not 100% sure because I used google translate on one of their tweets mentioning that, no crossplatform trades. I think I've seen pawns with japanese names in one of the Rob Cram videos....

Unity2012

Oh snap. I was thinking purely in terms of combat. Never even considered using them as transportation.

MIND FUCKING BLOWN

LOL! My exact reaction!

My first try of the Demo was not the best experience--the HUD felt cluttered and the gameplay confusing; after reading some impressions i gave it a second try. This time I made sure to check every menu and the options; then I was hooked.

I'm looking forward to the full game.

Rubikant

One question; can the warrior block with his sword?

According to Rob Cram, no. He mentioned the Warrior is one of the most challenging to play because it doesn't have a block or dodge skill and relies on just moving/jumping to avoid damage, but also has slow attacks and no ranged attacks so you really have to either just take the hits or be very aware of enemy patterns and the best time to make a big swing. He also mentioned that the Warrior has wide-sweeping attacks good for taking out lots of small enemies at once though, and I would assume his big charged-up heavy attacks would also be good for taking down large chunks of health from larger monsters that may have moments when they are vulnerable for an extended time.

Rubikant

Wow, the constant put-shield-on-back is annoying and ugly to see, what the hell is going on there? Did he had the shield on the arm only when actively guarding? That's retarded, isn't sheathe there for that?

Yeah its oddly only for the large magic shields used by the Mystic Knight, the smaller shields used by the Fighter stay in his hand the whole time. One person's theory is that it has to do with the size of the shield causing clipping issues with certain other moves if it stays in his hand.

Since its only with Mystic Knights and only the player can be that class, at least you won't have to worry about Pawns doing that. Personally, I was thinking of going for Mystic Knight, but between that shield thing and some excellent sword skills that are Fighter-only, I'm thinking of sticking with pure fighter...

Anteater

Wow, the constant put-shield-on-back is annoying and ugly to see, what the hell is going on there? Did he had the shield on the arm only when actively guarding? That's retarded, isn't sheathe there for that?

Yeah seems to be the case with those large shields, didn't notice it until you mention it

Edit: beaten, was looking at the mystic knight video and it does the same with the large shield

Dehimos

Neo Member
According to Rob Cram, no. He mentioned the Warrior is one of the most challenging to play because it doesn't have a block or dodge skill and relies on just moving/jumping to avoid damage, but also has slow attacks and no ranged attacks so you really have to either just take the hits or be very aware of enemy patterns and the best time to make a big swing. He also mentioned that the Warrior has wide-sweeping attacks good for taking out lots of small enemies at once though, and I would assume his big charged-up heavy attacks would also be good for taking down large chunks of health from larger monsters that may have moments when they are vulnerable for an extended time.

Thanks, gamefaq say other thing (but they had the demo): http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/626514-dragons-dogma/62657963?page=1

He mentioned the Warrior is one of the most challenging to play because it doesn't have a block or dodge skill and relies on just moving/jumping to avoid damage, but also has slow attacks and no ranged attacks so you really have to either just take the hits or be very aware of enemy patterns and the best time to make a big swing.

Say what, no invincible frame move to abuse as a dodge, and no sheild to block shit? Don't go there girl.

clint6.gif

Rubikant

Thanks, gamefaq say other thing (but they had the demo): http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/626514-dragons-dogma/62657963?page=1

Yeah I was in that thread, but I tested it myself later and I'm pretty sure what the person thought was a block was actually the Warrior holding their sword in front of them in order to launch you or another Pawn up into the air at the griffon. I tried killing off the other Pawns so it was just me and the warrior and made him fight goblins and the griffon by himself and he never blocked a thing.

Say what, no invincible frame move to abuse as a dodge, and no sheild to block shit? Don't go there girl.

Actually he did hint that some later moves can be used for defensive purposes, perhaps similar to the move the Fighter gets where you dodge backwards than slash forwards (a move I found extremely effective in my no-pawn no-healing Chimera run in the demo, as you can see at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65LBrfCdQ6Y#t=4m20s ).

Anteater

Warriors seems to have the benefit of 3 more slots since they don't have a secondary weapon, and a further range with 2handed weapons, I hope they have some defensive skills but they seem to be able to absorb as much hits as fighter

I thought their range is pretty wide as well

war2bkpz.gif

UrbanRats

Yeah its oddly only for the large magic shields used by the Mystic Knight, the smaller shields used by the Fighter stay in his hand the whole time. One person's theory is that it has to do with the size of the shield causing clipping issues with certain other moves if it stays in his hand.

Since its only with Mystic Knights and only the player can be that class, at least you won't have to worry about Pawns doing that. Personally, I was thinking of going for Mystic Knight, but between that shield thing and some excellent sword skills that are Fighter-only, I'm thinking of sticking with pure fighter...

I was going with M Knight too, because i love large shields, but now i'll either go with figther or strider (or something similar to strider, with the roll).

RiZ III

Enjoyed the demo more than I expected. The character designs are ugly, the graphics aren't the best, but I like the combat, the world, and the overall feel. It was also pretty confusing to figure out what the hell was going on sometimes because my character would disappear into darkness or under a monster.

Rubikant

But you'll be missing the fireball counter!

I'm not sure I'd like that move anyway. When you parry with that, it knocks them away and then shoots them with a fireball. Pretty cool right? But without it, the parry just stuns them, which leaves them right in front of me - ready to be hit with a full combo, grabbed and held for a pawn or their fellow enemies to finish them off (as a Fighter and likely Warrior and Mystic Knight, you can press and hold the Grab button to hold an enemy in front of you like a living shield instead of hoisting them on your shoulder), or any number of other responses. I don't necessarily want to knock them away.

Actually, we should be grateful. If anything, it is looking like this was made with the old school in mind and not for those who want instant gratification. In other words, a game that rewards you for sinking your teeth in and putting time into it. Just look at the video above by Robert Cram that shows how little of the world he has put 50 hours into... and how much is left to be uncovered. That is pretty telling.

A game that gets better as you play it > a game that starts strong and gets stale after 20 hours.

Can't wait for DD!

ironcreed

Banned
A game that gets better as you play it > a game that starts strong and gets stale after 20 hours.

Can't wait for DD!

Pretty much sums up my experience with Kingdoms of Amalur. While I did enjoy my time with it and felt it started really strong, it just fell flat for me along the 20 hour mark and stayed that way until the very sub-par ending battle.

Any idea what the lead platform is? What is the difference between ps3 and 360?

The PC is the lead platform. It was then ported to PS3 and 360. There are differences in lighting and shading, as well blurriness/clarity. The biggest differences being that the 360 version exhibits tearing whereas the PS3 version runs at a consistently lower framerate. I think DF did a head-to-head of the demo, which I assume means they'll do one for the final game.

That isn't a cool rumor to be spreading

You'd rather I spread a lie? MT Framework games are developed on PC and then ported to console.

Right, so they designed the game around mouse and keyboard, high resolution textures, etc and then ported it to console? I don't think so.

Did I say that? It was developed on PC, using a 360 controller as the control method. It was then ported to console.

After watching RobertCam's Mystic Knight Skills and Sorcerer Gameplay vids I'm not sure what I'm gonna go for.

That's gonna impact my pawn, since i'd probably want them to be the opposite of me.

What are the rules and penalties associated with class switching?

Dwayne

You'd rather I spread a lie? MT Framework games are developed on PC and then ported to console.

Did I say that? It was developed on PC, using a 360 controller as the control method. It was then ported to console.

All console games are developed on PC dude.
Lead platform means the platform that the game is targeted for primarily - what hardware set are developing this game around? It's not super relevant this generation, but for PS2/Xbox, a PS2 lead platform meant lower quality models and textures than what an average Xbox gamer would be used to seeing, while a Xbox lead platform would often mean lower framerates on the PS2 platform.

All console games are developed on PC dude.
Lead platform means the platform that the game is targeted for primarily - what hardware set are developing this game around? It's not super relevant this generation, but for PS2/Xbox, a PS2 lead platform meant lower quality models and textures than what an average Xbox gamer would be used to seeing, while a Xbox lead platform would often mean lower framerates on the PS2 platform.

Not sure you understand fully how MT Framework games are made.

Herbert Moon

Neo Member
Has there been any indication that the demo was an earlier build of the game, or is the performance we get in the demo going to be the same as in the retail version?

Schwabe

Has there been any indication that the demo was an earlier build of the game, or is the performance we get in the demo going to be the same as in the retail version?

Not really. The demo contains the same quests that were playable on several conventions like past e3 or pax... So maybe it is one year old and improved since them, or not...

I don't expect much better performance for the final build, so i can't get disappointed O,o but i hope the demo is really old!

Not sure what you know what lead platform means.

No, I actually do.

MT Framework multi-console development in the words of Kobayashi:

Now, even though we have the MT Framework in place, we still have to check the actual game that the customers are going to play and are going to have in their hands, so that means checking and going through not just the PS3 version, but the 360 and the PC versions, making sure that everything looks okay and runs smoothly. That does take a lot of time, and it really increases the amount of work that we have to do.

Having said that, developing it simultaneously for different machines is easier than developing it separately -- developing it for something, and then porting it over onto something else. But it does increase the amount of work that we have to do for the game."

I believe it was said that the demo is the E3 build from last year. There was then a subsequent preview build, and recently a review build. Rob Cram indicated that the noticeable difference between preview and review were placement and number of rift stones.

Dwayne

I know what a game engine is. You don't understand what lead platform means, and your quote doesn't do anything to prove you do.

They need to make button config any button options cos I want to press RB to run and not Left Thumbstick press down.

Otherwise I'm just gonna hack my control pad to do what I want.

Anteater

There's a thread on gamefaqs and someone seem to have ripped 1,427 of item pictures, not sure if it's ok to link/post, but if anyone are curious about it and don't mind spoilers. I'm too lazy to look (and I don't want armor appearance spoiled for me) so I'll just paste what other people have found

Edit: new page!

Top Bottom