• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Demo Impressions

Lucent

Here: http://dragonsdogma.tumblr.com/hallofchampions

Currently they only have listed winners of the greatest fan contest.

Ah cool thanks. I guess I didn't see this contest. I didn't really know about it until the contest where you say in 124 characters or less why you think the game will be considered GOTY or something like that. I entered that one. Gonna try tonight for the Griffin battle one. I know the DLC is only $7, but it'd be cool to win that and have 100 extra quests to mess around in. Wonder if they're all that fun considering it's 100 quests for $7.

Raonak

Banned
So this is what the DMC team has been working on.

for people who've tried, how close is the combat to DMC3/4? or is it more like monster hunter?

Lucent

165907_4025311514112_1321257551_3696695_1993151854_n.jpg

My submission to the facebook contest. It's honestly very hard to do anything really cool while freeing up a hand to shoot it with a phone. =l

El Sloth

Banned
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/165907_4025311514112_1321257551_3696695_1993151854_n.jpg[/IMG

My submission to the facebook contest. It's honestly very hard to do anything really cool while freeing up a hand to shoot it with a phone. =l[/QUOTE]
I paid off my nephews with sweets to take the pictures for me.

Makes it easier to get the (in game) camera into a more cinematic position.

Lucent

I paid off my nephews with sweets to take the pictures for me.

Makes it easier to get the (in game) camera into a more cinematic position.

I have no nephews to do that for me. I do have a few cats, but they don't have thumbs that work that way. =(

Every time I tried to get a shot of me hanging on to the Griffin, my camera couldn't get a clear shot. Always got a blur cuz the Griffin shakes a lot when you're on him. But I still think it was the best pic of the ones I took just because of the glaring sun over the mountain and the feathers, etc. I looked through a lot of the submissions so far and they don't seem all that impressive to me for the most part. I think anyone has a good chance at this though. Here's hope'n we all get free DLC from one of the contests before it's out.

Also, I think I'm gonna post my Arisen and pawn.

Edit: My Arisen, Joe

544181_4025456077726_1321257551_3696750_62092072_n.jpg

389745_4025456797744_1321257551_3696754_1782705570_n.jpg

485667_4025457197754_1321257551_3696756_1832057520_n.jpg

292161_4025458317782_1321257551_3696762_687443681_n.jpg

My main pawn, Emma

576415_4025461757868_1321257551_3696775_763956748_n.jpg

Lucent

I'm still getting the game, but what's the deal with the DLC? What's 'locked' on the disc this time?

Just 100 quests outside of the main story. The game already seems like it has a hundred or so hours of content. I don't know how 100 quests at $7 is gonna be huge. I can't see them being massive quests. Though it'll still add some time. It's still way better than $5 a character like MvC3.

Jac_Solar

I'm very curious how the map works. There's a large area under Cassardis, which I assume to be a forestish area, but can you actually explore it? Since the fog of war thing seems to be gone from that area, I'd like to think that you can explore it, but I'm not sure. Perhaps you can only explore the light brownish areas on the map?

I asked Robert Cram in the Youtube video where he shows off his stats/explored content so far, but haven't gotten a reply yet.

Anteater

I'm still getting the game, but what's the deal with the DLC? What's 'locked' on the disc this time?

Only thing confirmed are the quests so far I think, but my guess would be that there will be cosmetic stuff and armors/weapons, they chose on disc as delivery method because of the pawn sharing, which means other players who buy those extra stuff and wearing them could still be shown in your game, you just don't have access to them.

Tizoc

Just 100 quests outside of the main story. The game already seems like it has a hundred or so hours of content. I don't know how 100 quests at $7 is gonna be huge. I can't see them being massive quests. Though it'll still add some time. It's still way better than $5 a character like MvC3.

Just that? Quests aren't a big deal for me TBH, if they interest me I'll get them on a price drop.
Customization ain't a big deal for me either.

Anteater

Just that? Quests aren't a big deal for me TBH, if they interest me I'll get them on a price drop.
Customization ain't a big deal for me either.

Don't really know until they announce DLC plans :(

It's probably safer to wait if you're scared they're holding back big things

Lucent

Don't really know until they announce DLC plans :(

It's probably safer to wait if you're scared they're holding back big things

Yeah. I was basically just referring to the DLC we know of right now, which is only the $7 100 quest dlc that's also being given away as a prize on their facebook/tumblr/twitter.

Wonder what else they'll add.

Schwabe

The good thing: as a german who orderered the german version, i am getting the 100 quests instead of the RE6 Demo which doesn't bother me at all.

The bad thing: i have to wait til 5/25 -.-

Will these DLC quests unlock if you buy them when half-way through the game, or will they only be available upon starting a new game? Want the full experience (I know, I vowed not to do it myself), but don't want to spend an extra £5 or so on the game until I'm sure that I'll like the game as a whole.

Also, I got a really weird craving to play the full game when I was at work last night for some reason. Not been this excited for a game since UC3

Any word on whether quests can badly glitch ala every Bethesda game ever? Killed my month-long Skyrim obsession, wouldn't want it to do the same here

Jac_Solar

Wow, this is so incredibly.. sad?

minor spoilers (supposedly shows the areas of the map in DD you can explore.)

http://i.imgur.com/PpScT.jpg

Posted by Hitoshi in the other DD thread, but I found on a gamefaq board.

I thought the areas/locations shown so far (By Capcom alone.) only represented less than half, atleast, of the game, cause I assumed it was much bigger based on the streams by Capcom and their claims. But, apparently, there isn't much more to the game than whats been shown. Why would they show off all the areas? Because their streams last 2 hours and the game is so small? Why would the producers, developers and so on make outrageous claims like it would take 4-5 hours to walk around the coastline, when that does not seem to be possible?

Yes, yes, I know, to sell, but that doesn't make it ok.

ironcreed

Banned
Wow, this is so incredibly.. sad?

minor spoilers (supposedly shows the areas of the map in DD you can explore.)

http://i.imgur.com/PpScT.jpg

Posted by Hitoshi in the other DD thread, but I found on a gamefaq board.

Here is an updated look at the actual map. This guy from Microsoft Xbox World has spent well over 50 hours now playing and still has not uncovered it all. Is it Elder Scrolls big? No... but it is still big.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdInxBmE1gM&list=PL2EA696273E4B3609&index=49&feature=plpp_video

Jac_Solar

Here is an updated look at the actual map. This guy from Microsoft Xbox World has spent well over 50 hours now playing and still has not uncovered it all. Is it Elder Scrolls big? No... but it is still big.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdInxBmE1gM&list=PL2EA696273E4B3609&index=49&feature=plpp_video

Yeah, I saw that just before I saw the map. It seems to fit the map posted by Hiroshi. I assume the rest of the map would unlock even if you just get to a small outpost.

Jac_Solar

It's also Cyrodiil - who are the people being fooled by this?

I know it's not the DD map, but it seems to more or less accurately represent the explorable content in DD, and how it's designed from a map perspective.

That's a fake map someone drew as an example of the actual map consisting of more areas you cant go than you can.

Yeah, but it seems to be quite correct, unless someone suddenly stumbles onto a part of the map somehow that has more content, or if the final release version has a lot more content -- which I doubt, but it currently seems like only half the map, or less, is ingame.

Yes, there are a lot of quests, apparently, but people are saying that there is A LOT of running back and forth, which can get stale, fast, in a world with a (Linear.) design like that -- as opposed to a world like Skyrim, which atleast lets you take different paths because it's totally open, so you don't have to 'retrace your steps' every time you want to return to an area.

As it is, according to the Robert Cram videos, the map is a good representation of the actual explorable content.

I was very excited for this game, and I'm still getting it, but I'm somewhat disappointed by the size of the world and its 'branching paths design'. And there does not seem to be a lot of dungeons (5-10? More?) either.

El Sloth

Banned
Every time something bad about the game is mentioned I think, "I hope they do things differently/fix that in the sequel."

Then I :(

I really want to see what would happen if the team gets another shot at the game.

Lucent

Someone from the Capcom-Unity Dragon's Dogma forums posted a scan of the map and the locations from what I'm guessing is the strategy guide. It's def not as impressive in size as Skyrim, but I think I'm okay with this.

Anteater

hmm probably not looking at that since it has location names, I wanna ask the pawns for directions!

So are their empty areas like mountains on the map you can't access?

Lucent

hmm probably not looking at that since it has location names, I wanna ask the pawns for directions!

So are their empty areas like mountains on the map you can't access?

I'm really not sure to be honest. And I don't blame you for not looking at the names, I didn't. I just was like "whoa, decent amount of names". =P

Edit: Reading further into that thread, I read something a little heartening.

nebilim_ToS posted...I saw somewhere the game have a trophiy for 150 locations discovered. That map shows about 60? So the rest is minor locations?

From the looks of it, yeah. There are a lot of minor named locations that aren't marked on that map, but they shop up at higher zoom levels. There are 3 map levels and that is the most zoomed out 'World map'. On the Area level you'll see things like campsites and landmarks.

So there should be quite a few locations. What's on the map in that link are more like major locations. There are a bunch of smaller locations strewn about the land.

UrbanRats

Edit: You'll have to copy and paste the OP's link. I wasn't sure if I was allowed to post that link itself or not.

Thanks mate.
Doesn't look huge, but it'll do.
BTW it shouldn't be in violation of the TOS, but you may want to remove the link anyway, you never know.
When in doubt, PMming is always the safest bet. :)
--
So about all this DLC stuff, let me get this straight: if they withold content from the game and i decide to buy it (as dlc), i have to buy it for all the profiles, to have it for all the characters? Or one DLC can work for all the accounts i have on one ps3?

Cause that might tip me over in cancelling the pre order and wait for a bargain bin, can't buy every DLC for every account i have on the console, goddamnit.

Jac_Solar

While it seems to be obvious that Capcom intentionally deceived people with their information/statements/claims on the map, the newly released map looks good enough.

Minor spoilers! (My opinion on how much content they've shown so far.)

I think there are 3-4 large open areas that they haven't shown off yet, based on the map they recently released.

wanders

While it seems to be obvious that Capcom intentionally deceived people with their information/statements/claims on the map, the newly released map looks good enough.

Minor spoilers! (My opinion on how much content they've shown so far.)

I think there are 3-4 large open areas that they haven't shown off yet, based on the map they recently released.

They stated that it would take ~5 hours to cross the map from one end to the next.

Rob Cram confirmed it takes 2 hrs. That's still pretty huge!

They stated that it would take ~5 hours to cross the map from one end to the next.

Rob Cram confirmed it takes 2 hrs. That's still pretty huge!

For me, it depends.

Does it take 2 hours to cross the map from point A to point B? Or 2 hours to navigate the predefined routes on the map that may arbitrarily wrap back on themselves? I honestly don't know. I'm still sort of confused about the nature of the map, not the size so much as how "open" it is.

Yu Narukami

The good thing: as a german who orderered the german version, i am getting the 100 quests instead of the RE6 Demo which doesn't bother me at all.

The bad thing: i have to wait til 5/25 -.-

Do you know if the German version has English text as well? I looked on the internet but didn't find an answer.

Lucent

So do I have to pre-order this to get the RE6 demo? Or does it just come bundled with the game as standard?

I think, at the very least, it'll come with all initial copies of the game. Probably for awhile. It's included within the case itself so I think you're safe if you don't preorder it right away.

Top Bottom