• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma , one of the best game?

Ceadeus

Gold Member

For anyone that played the game , went through many dozens of hours, would you not be willing to say it's simply one of the best game ever made?

As soon as you start the game, the intro is atmospheric, intense and immediately fun. The weight of the character, deep status information , lightning effects, outstanding music and dark fantasy action rpg instantaneously bring you in a immersive journey already. Then after the prologue you understand that you are in the very beginning of an absolutely unique adventure.

This game only merits more attention, but also a proper sequel worthy of its name. This game is an absolute masterpiece from all angle.

I still don't understand Bitterblack Isle. I've played the base game from start to finish multiple times, and bought the fucker three times. Yet when I get to Bitterblack Isle the enemies seem to scale from my level, to 4 times it, from one room to the next.

I found it impossible.

Bigrx1

Banned
For anyone that played the game , went through many dozens of hours, would you not be willing to say it's simply one of the best game ever made?

I would not be willing. I think it's a decent to medicore game that happened to have a great combat system which is what most remember fondly. Kind of like when you reminisce over an old flame without remembering all the annoying shit they used to do that drove you nuts.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I've never seen such storytelling through gameplay and self interpretation than in this game. Because how deeply fun and rewarding is exploration. Botw can go to sleep, this game came years before is and years ahead of its time.

mcz117chief

I would not be willing. I think it's a decent to medicore game that happened to have a great combat system which is what most remember fondly. Kind of like when you reminisce over an old flame without remembering all the annoying shit they used to do that drove you nuts.
I finished the game and I don't think the combat was particularly impressive either, some classes were fun (magic archer) but others were very boring (strider, assassin). What I liked the most about the game were the Berserk collaboration items and references. Maybe if I picked a less boring class I might remember the game more fondly.

Ceadeus

Gold Member

No it's not shit, go back to it .

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Poordevil

Beats any open world game Bethseda has done, by a mile. I think I like it more than the Gothic games too, although that would be a closer call. For the open world action RPG genre I think Dragon's Dogma is tough to beat. A sequel by Capcom would be a highly anticipated day one buy for me🤩🤗

Beats any open world game Bethseda has done, by a mile. I think I like it more than the Gothic games too, although that would be a closer call. For the open world action RPG genre I think Dragon's Dogma is tough to beat. A sequel by Capcom would be a highly anticipated day one buy for me🤩🤗

I used to like Bethesda but after Fallout 4 I really started to dislike them. I missed the days of Oblivion and Morrowind.

Vawn

Banned
It did a lot of things great and a lot of things not so great. It could have been a great foundation to something really good, like Assassin's Creed 1 to 2, etc.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
How many of you that played this game took pictures of a great scenery and were proud of it. And how many game could you tell you did the same?

Come on guys and gals, this game is and will always be in its own league.

Incredible story that, along all the way, ask us to be a better person, sharing pawns from another player to help, winds breathing world with so many NPC interacting, the overall incredible challenge. Tons of items and equipment to collect through a perfectly crafted overworld map.

I'm not even talking about the everfall and blackbitter isle.

Poordevil

I used to like Bethesda but after Fallout 4 I really started to dislike them. I missed the days of Oblivion and Morrowind.

I have played Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, Fallout and I do not hate them. I get bored and tend to loose interest after the first dozen levels or so. The gameplay loop does not keep me intrigued or excited for the duration of the game. Morrowind was the most stand out of them all. There was a lot of walking and reading, punctuated with clunky combat. But the world was interesting.

I really wanted to love it, but as you said, it didn't have much to offer besides the fun combat and partner system. It felt shallow.

anthraticus

Banned
I used to like Bethesda but after Fallout 4 I really started to dislike them. I missed the days of Daggerfall and Morrowind.
Fixed and....

1KtMkws.jpg

sublimit

Banned
How many of you that played this game took pictures of a great scenery and were proud of it. And how many game could you tell you did the same?

Come on guys and gals, this game is and will always be in its own league.

Incredible story that, along all the way, ask us to be a better person, sharing pawns from another player to help, winds breathing world with so many NPC interacting, the overall incredible challenge. Tons of items and equipment to collect through a perfectly crafted overworld map.

I'm not even talking about the everfall and blackbitter isle.
I have a ridiculous amount of screenshots in this game! There was a time that i just couldn't stop pausing the game mid-battle and hovering the camera around trying to get really cool shots! I hope they give us more camera options in the inevitable sequel.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Not even close. Fun combat, but everything around it is second-rate. It's a good game overall, but not one of the greats.

GymWolf

the only thing i enjoyed in that game was the combat (good, even great, but not best in class imo) and the pawn system.
not really a huge fan of it but i will buy a sequel if it comes out during next gen.

gioGAF

Amazing game, I think it is at its best in the Dark Arisen dungeon crawl. The combat and pawn system is so much fun, it makes the campaign entertaining. My pawn and alternate pawns have been my long term projects for this gen (and last gen). That reminds, I have to go clear their hires. Thanks for this thread, thanks for bringing attention to one of my favorite games.

I really wish Capcom would do something with this IP. Though I am a little fearful that they could shove some bullshit down our throat. This game, while amazing, was a vehicle for monetization that was ahead of its time. However, they chose not to shit on us for whatever reason, so there is that to be grateful about.

InertKiwi

Awesome game, must've done NG+ about 12 times. Definitely easy to do when you have portcrystals at all the key locations lol.

I've played the game at a friend of mine years ago. I really loved it. One of the best games CAPCOM made before their recent resurgence.

Now that I've relegated myself to my Switch Lite I'm contemplating a physical copy. Hmmmmm. :pie_thinking:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
One of the worst. Got it with humblebundle long time ago, and really wanted to like it. I ended up stopping after 9.3 hours because I couldn't hurt myself anymore.

Lanrutcon

I still don't understand Bitterblack Isle. I've played the base game from start to finish multiple times, and bought the fucker three times. Yet when I get to Bitterblack Isle the enemies seem to scale from my level, to 4 times it, from one room to the next.

I found it impossible.

I'm going to blow your mind quickly: they don't scale at all. It's just a hard DLC...well, for some people. Some people go directly to Bitterblack Isle with their starting characters, skip the main game and do the DLC first.

I'm going to blow your mind quickly: they don't scale at all. It's just a hard DLC...well, for some people. Some people go directly to Bitterblack Isle with their starting characters, skip the main game and do the DLC first.
I can understand a hard DLC. I don't understand why enemies go from easy to kill, to absolute wrecking machines from one room to the next.

GAMETA

Banned
It's an amazing game but the lack of easy fast travel killed it for me.

I don't have the time anymore, and boy, you'll be covering some ground around in this one.

Lanrutcon

I can understand a hard DLC. I don't understand why enemies go from easy to kill, to absolute wrecking machines from one room to the next.

Bitterblack isn't really a traditional dungeon. The floors escalate in order, but the rooms don't. Almost every room in the dungeon has 2 configurations, another depending on your actions and some have many more because they're arenas. So you can go into a room and find a bunch of Goblins...or a squad of death wolves. It'll always be one of the two and the one is harder to deal with depending on your class. There's hub room super early where you can potentially encounter a zombie dragon early, and another where you find a chained up gore cyclops you're not meant to fuck with. If you're intent on killing everything you meet then you're going to need Bitterblack Gear, but otherwise you need to run passed things that you can't. Many of the enemies, unlike the vanilla enemies, are also meant to be taken on by specific damage types: they're incredibly staunch against some damage types, but take a lot more from others such as fire. On top of all of that, the upgrades you get from Bitterblack (not just gear, also skills) make you a shitload more deadly: without those upgrades you are considered undergeared. The first thing people do in Bitterblack is rush to get the first weapon upgrades there.

All in all Bitterblack is much more advanced than the base game. And once you kill the final boss there...the entire place takes off the training wheels and it gets crazier.

That being said, there's nothing in there you can't solve with the liberal application of blast arrows.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Playing it right now on the Switch. Definitely one of the best games ever made. I can't get enough of it. The combat alone shits on every action-rpg still to this day, and the different vocations transform the playing style in such vastly different ways that it feels like a new game going from Mystic Knight to Magic Archer or a Mage.

The world is beautiful and very well designed. I love its semi-openess as it allows for a more detailed and precise world building where every area offers something new. The fantasy setting is spot on with its vast array of colorful monsters that fits the tropes of the genre in a perfect way.

The dungeon crawling on Bitterblack isles offers endless challenge and I love that Capcom has built Dark Arisen around it, essentially making the story campaign a long preparation for the grueling events that awaits you on the island.

The boss encounters are awesome, both the major players and its sub-bosses, and the grappling mechanic makes it all more fun.

I could go on and on about this game. The pawn system, endless customization, the fashion, lore, world building and story telling. I love everything little thing with this game and I have done it since its release in 2012. Buying it for Switch was a no-brainer because I want it with me everywhere I go.

Capcom, where is the fucking sequel? It's long overdue.

Last edited:
Bitterblack isn't really a traditional dungeon. The floors escalate in order, but the rooms don't. Almost every room in the dungeon has 2 configurations, another depending on your actions and some have many more because they're arenas. So you can go into a room and find a bunch of Goblins...or a squad of death wolves. It'll always be one of the two and the one is harder to deal with depending on your class. There's hub room super early where you can potentially encounter a zombie dragon early, and another where you find a chained up gore cyclops you're not meant to fuck with. If you're intent on killing everything you meet then you're going to need Bitterblack Gear, or just run passed things that you can't. Many of the enemies, unlike the vanilla enemies, are also meant to be taken on by specific damage types: they're incredibly staunch against some damage types, but take a lot more from others such as fire. On top of all of that, the upgrades you get from Bitterblack (not just gear, also skills) make you a shitload more deadly: without those upgrades you are considered undergeared. The first thing people do in Bitterblack is rush to get the first weapon upgrades there.

All in all Bitterblack is much more advanced than the base game. And once you kill the final boss there...the entire place takes off the training wheels and it gets crazier.

That being said, there's nothing in there you can't solve with the liberal application of blast arrows.
Thank you, very informative. I assumed having beaten the base game a couple of times I knew what I was doing. Turns out I'm completely clueless. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

First time round I approached it like it was just more of the original game. Obviously that was a mistake on my part. When I re-bought it on PC I tried to make myself as OP as possible during the base game, in anticipation of the DLC, figuring I'd ready for it this time.

Nope.

Lanrutcon

Thank you, very informative. I assumed having beaten the base game a couple of times I knew what I was doing. Turns out I'm completely clueless. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

First time round I approached it like it was just more of the original game. Obviously that was a mistake on my part. When I re-bought it on PC I tried to make myself as OP as possible during the base game, in anticipation of the DLC, figuring I'd ready for it this time.

Nope.

So here's what helped me dramatically: maps. Every chest in Bitterblack has specific stuff it can drop. Once you know that, and know the layout of the place, you can go in with purpose. Need a weapon upgrade? Chests #34, Floor 1 drops level 1 Bitterblack weapons. Trying to get some rings to upgrade your spells? chest #40. And so on and so forth. Many of those chests can be gotten to by simply running like a madman. Helps in the beginning! Blast Arrows and Throwblasts also do a crapload of damage, regardless of your character's gear/levels. Stock up on those.

Magic Archer/Rangers have the easiest time of things, imo.

Lux R7

i write the same post every time about this amazing masterpiece of a game:

Best archery and magic in every arpg ever.
One of the best melee combat in every arpg.
Amazing character creation tools
Best dragon fights in every fucking game
Best Griffin f...oh well, you got it, best "insert monster" fight ever.
Amazing post-game
Amazing expansion (dark arisen)
A lot of secrets, a lot of customization, a lot of loot, fashion dogma.

one of my favourite videogames ever and probably (even if i'm also a HUGE souls fan) the game of my heart.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Tried to get into this game a couple of times, but haven't clicked with it yet. Really need to try again. I've heard all about the fantastic character creation & combat systems. I've seen the gifs that show off the crazy spells & stuff. It looks great.

Kumomeme

not one of the best game...still lot of flaw

but definitely one of the most enjoying game

and probably still had best rpg open world combat

the game present soo much potential for sequel

if you someone who appreciate good combat and gameplay, this game for you but you expect something with storyline...nah...gameplay is this game strongest point..even blow out lot of other rpg in this aspect

this game is special...try it out

Last edited:

Kumomeme

i write the same post every time about this amazing masterpiece of a game:

Best archery and magic in every arpg ever.
One of the best melee combat in every arpg.
Amazing character creation tools
Best dragon fights in every fucking game
Best Griffin f...oh well, you got it, best "insert monster" fight ever.
Amazing post-game
Amazing expansion (dark arisen)
A lot of secrets, a lot of customization, a lot of loot, fashion dogma.

one of my favourite videogames ever and probably (even if i'm also a HUGE souls fan) the game of my heart.

THIS

MiguelItUp

I always thought this game was interesting, plus I was immediately invested when they showed those Berserk skins for the game. But when I tried playing it, it just didn't click with me at all whatsoever. I'm not really sure why either, it just felt like a chore to play. I was actually pretty bummed. I realized it's pretty much the same feeling I get when I tried playing a Monster Hunter or Souls title. So I guess it just isn't for me. :(

Komatsu

The plot was pretty threadbare and it was a bit janky and unifinished but wow, what an atmospheric and interesting game.

Since Catlevania II all the way back in the NES, lots of games had the day/night cycle incorporated into the gameplay, with nightfall bringing forth all sorts of monsters. That said, I can't think of a game where the sight of the sun setting was more terrifying than Dragon's Dogma. When it got dark, bad, bad thing happened.

Kumomeme

I finished the game and I don't think the combat was particularly impressive either, some classes were fun (magic archer) but others were very boring (strider, assassin). What I liked the most about the game were the Berserk collaboration items and references. Maybe if I picked a less boring class I might remember the game more fondly.
the combat strength lie on its job system and skill....also on how it being utilized on different kind of monster and the surrounding is...each vocation basically had different playstyle..playing different job is kind of like having different gameplay

the combat itself is pretty simple..but done better than most of open world rpg out there..even running and swing weapon around feels soo much satisfaction..you can even had double jump, you can flying kick enemies and stuff

you need to kill certain monster part first....some monster you can only inflicting damage on certain body part...you can prevent flying monster from run/fly by burn his wing...you even had climbing mechanic for all this..some skill had different effect depend on surrounding..for example magick archer's richocet skill shines in tight area...this is ace in bitterblack isle..some other skill specialized in targeting multiple monster or multiple body part at one hit...there crazy skill where you engulf yourself in fire then climb monster back...lightning magic hurt more if you or the monster is soaked...monster easily get freezed if soaked..you can throw water or oil flask to enemies....freezed saurian tail can easily shattered by simple swing..you can burn monster body, throw poison or even utilized rusty weapon to inflict torpor affect that slow the enemies...character creation also played role in combat..small character had lot stamina but less strength, less item can be brought at same time and vice versa for muscular character..character weight impacted at stamina recovery and how nimble the character is..heavy character had advantage moving in area with strong wind

there lot more example which is not many game did this but you know it as you finished the game.... some people confusing combat system is how the basic combat being play out..but that not always the case...DD combat more about how to react with enemies and surrounding..there is where the impressive stuff is

but i not suprise if the sequel bring some aspect from dmcv and even mhw as both game also bring influence from this game.

if you havent tried bitterblack isle yet, better do it...the difficulty on whole different level than base game..you even get dark soul's vibe from the area

Last edited:

Poordevil

Is there any other game that has a pawn system like DD? I have never seen anything like it. Kind of cool adopting another players character to join your squad. If I was having trouble I could hire one that was over leveled to make combat easier. I always kept my pawn in the best gear I could so other players would hire her. Then you could write a note or send a gift along with a pawn when you release them back to their creator. That whole gaming concept was a first for me.

Top Bottom