• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drake becomes the new face of the Toronto Raptors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraftwerk

SpZ6bct.jpg

The Toronto Raptors and Drake will be teaming up together to give Canada’s lone NBA franchise a much-needed makeover.

The team announced that the rapper will serve as their Global Ambassador during their official press conference for the 2016 NBA All-Star Game. He will also launch a clothing line associated with the team and will oversee a redesign of the franchise’s brand. There will be new colours and a new logo, but they won’t be changing their name to anything like the Toronto Huskies.

“I love this city with all my heart. I am extremely excited to be a part of the team I grew up with,” Drake said.

This partnership will be similar to the one between Jay-Z and the Brooklyn Nets when they moved to Brooklyn from New Jersey. The Nets were a boring franchise, and really an afterthought in the NBA (sort of like the present-day Raptors) before their move to the New York area. Jay-Z completely helped re-design their brand, which looks night-and-day compared to what they had before, and the Raptors hope that Drake can accomplish the same feat in Toronto.

Drake, who has admitted to being a Raptors fan to the death, said that his goal is to build up the Toronto Raptors during his appearance on ESPN’s First Take with Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless. It might have been the first time the Raptors were mentioned on that show.

http://o.canada.com/2013/09/29/drake-becomes-the-face-of-the-toronto-raptors/

His new album is being received very well and he is becoming more and more popular.i guess it will help with publicity.

Quick

Banned
Can we get rid of the purple? Will Derake still be relevant in three years?

The purple's been gone for years.

I'm actually excited to see what they come up with for the redesign.

I always thought the Raptors had a good logo, but the current uniforms are really nothing to take home. I dislike the name and number typeface.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Raptors is a dumb name, a relic from the 90s dinosaur craze due to Jurassic Park.
What do dinos have to do with Toronto, anyway?

The Blue Jays' recent redesign (back to basics/logo for life) has been huge. You see Blue Jays' blue just as much, if not more, than you see Leafs jerseys these days.

The raptors definitely could use a redesign. It will probably help put butts in seats as well but it needs to be coupled with a new vision for the quality of the team or all of their planning will go to shit... again.

Mr. F

Banned
The Blue Jays' recent redesign (back to basics/logo for life) has been huge. You see Blue Jays' blue just as much, if not more, than you see Leafs jerseys these days.

The raptors definitely could use a redesign. It will probably help put butts in seats as well but it needs to be coupled with a new vision for the quality of the team or all of their planning will go to shit... again.

Did attendance go up for the Jays after the redesign? I have no frame of reference for average turnouts aside from a random game I went to a last year that was pretty much empty.

lupinko

They should have brought back Master P instead.

master_p_display_image.jpg

Did attendance go up for the Jays after the redesign? I have no frame of reference for average turnouts aside from a random game I went to a last year that was pretty much empty.

Marginally. This season it went up quite a bit with the expectation of winning.

I don't have hard data but sales of jerseys and hats look like they went up by a lot judging by the amount of people wearing them.

Nesotenso

speaking of Drake, I am not familiar with his songs as I don't listen to pop radio often. What are some of his breakout and popular songs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom