• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamhack Summer 2012 Thread: SC2/DOTA2/HoN/LoL/CS/Quake/BF3/SF4AE/SFxT June 16-18

Boken

Banned
I know that. I'm not saying they should, just that it's what broke M5 on to the scene, changed the meta, and put them ahead of other teams. The counter junglers they used to run aren't able to get the initiates off that they need on CLG, so now they're using Naut and aren't really able to do much with him.

I think it's just a resurgence of strong gankers beating out the hard push tactics and a mentality shift from owning the opposing jungler to owning the lanes to carry your lanes (carry jungler vs carry lanes). The correct way to beat alistar and naut is still counter jungling, if your lanes can handle the ganks.

CLGeu - counterpicked np, win by overall game strategy (aggressive early game grouping up and pushing prevents kassadin from owning karthus and ganking other lanes, prevents naut from ganking hardcore and kogmaw farming for free)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
dendi going berserker

There is an obvious mouz and mTw bias in tobi's casts, and in many of those games this weekend he missed a lot of important things and completely disregarded stuff that the other teams had.

All those poor other teams. Its a good thing you are here to tell us about this casting injustice.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
M5 used Shyvana when she was considered trash because they realized how good she was at aggressive counter jungling.
And then teams realized how to deal with it with proper warding and lanes collapsing in on the jungle and Shyvana fell back off the map.

LukeSmith

Tobi's co-commentator is awful.
He needs to play the straight man (the Fratello to Tobi's Albert), rather than have his thin voice get overly excited and weak.

Listening to American commentators is like saying you're a soccer fan and only watching MLS.

Deadman

Where are the brackets for the SC2?

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/2012_DreamHack_Open/Summer#Results

If dimaga had dropped the banelings on the colossus at the start of that fight he would have won

Stephano beat Nerchio? What happened in those games, I assumed Stephano would lose bad given his ZvZ struggles

Upgrades. Stephano massively out upgraded him in both games and it made the difference. The games themselves were fairly standard macro games, roach infestor etc.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Tobi's co-commentator is awful.
He needs to play the straight man (the Fratello to Tobi's Albert), rather than have his thin voice get overly excited and weak.

Listening to American commentators is like saying you're a soccer fan and only watching MLS.

PIG is a player, he doesnt normally commentate. Such is the disadvantage of having Synd in the finals and not on the mic.

Also after several amazing black holes, that pickoff attempt was horribly ill advised.

LukeSmith

PIG is a player, he doesnt normally commentate. Such is the disadvantage of having Synd in the finals and not on the mic.

Also after several amazing black holes, that pickoff attempt was horribly ill advised.

Yeah, I just wish it was another surly European who can be a better second banana than an over-excited tween shitting up the mic with a triple stack of "oh nos"

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Pretty sure this is the 2nd time PiG has cast, don't think he's doing that bad to be honest.

Dendi too good.

Balehead

PIG is pretty much just going with the flow, I don't think he's bad at all. What a fucking game, FckingMad died twice during the whole thing.

ksan

Pretty sure this is the 2nd time PiG has cast, don't think he's doing that bad to be honest.

He's right about practically everything he's saying, which is what I think a lot of people like from a co-commentator.
Obviously he might need some work, but I guess that would come if he casted more and I still like listening to him now.

Sibylus

Banned
mtw could have had this had they not got caught out in the middle like that, their one barracks disadvantage wasn't enough for Na'Vi to roll over them when Black Hole was up. Crazy, crazy game.

ksan

Wow, fucking amazing, turning on the TV and seeing tobi haha =D

(dreamhack on swedish television, just an interview though)

Na'Vi are so good at fighting with low HP and pulling off team wins. Most other teams would retreat and get picked off with all heroes at such low HP but they pull it off routinely. To me, that's their biggest strength in team games.

Getting into watching Dota 2 again. Was hooked last year when the International was on. It's kind of fun to watch Dota and LoL as something different from SC2. I've watched so much more SC2 it's a bit stale for me at this point, though I'll admit it's in general a better viewing experience being only 1v1 and therefore much less to focus on. It's also easier to get into, at least from a viewer's perspective - strategically complex yes, but less mechanically complex than the MOBAs.

Not having played either (or any MOBA for that matter since my fairly short time original Dota) I think Dota 2 is probably the better game than LoL, but LoL has a slightly better interface for viewers, being able to see the stats/score at all times rather than just when the casters pull it up (too quickly to check yourself).

Still - the many, many various heroes/abilities and the vast amount of items makes the viewing/learning curve very high for both games. The items especially, were always where I had issues in Dota, as you pretty much have to know exactly what you want before even entering the game. Viewing is especially bad since you pretty much won't know what's going on in that regard at all besides the short mentions casters make using a lot of jargon. The system is too complex to grasp without a lot of outside research.

Kinda wishing I had a Dota 2 invite right now...

Sibylus

Banned
Would have liked to see mtw build some Necronomicons in hindsight. Dendi being able to spam march of the machines on defenses with impunity was massively problematic, as was his ability to participate in fights with virtually his entire mana pool at his disposal.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I think even if mtw lost, they still managed to stay in that game far long than I thought they would. Power of a good black hole + syllabear

Chris R

Wait, are there SC2 games on right now? I just see a blank screen...

edit: never mind, finally see something about semifinal #2 coming up soon.

abunai

Is the sound broken? Dota2. edit- really laggy too all of a sudden.

Oh also, DIMAGA needs to win for a rematch of summer assembly 2011 vs mana. Would be great.

I'm kinda questioning Dreamhack's decision here, there isn't any sound proofing right?
Wonder if they can hear any of the commentating. Correct me if I'm wrong otherwise...

I remember reading there are speakers playing some white noise towards the players and the commentator's speakers are projecting sound away from them. But I can't seem to find a link so I might be making this up.

ksan

I'm kinda questioning Dreamhack's decision here, there isn't any sound proofing right?
Wonder if they can hear any of the commentating. Correct me if I'm wrong otherwise...

Sibylus

Banned
Commentators will only talk about things both teams are aware of or events in passing, same situation as last year.

Top Bottom