• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreams opens lower than 1.5k in Japan (Retail only, does not factor early access, policestationx tries to start console war)

I give Sony the benefit of the doubt that they know exactly what they were getting in the launch period of Dreams.

Twice they have affirmed there is a ten year plan in place for this game. It doesn’t need to sell millions in the first few months.

MM are a tiny studio in Guilford with like 50 staff. I don’t imagine it’s expensive to run...and they made LittleBigPlanet which is a franchise that has probably paid for the last 7 years of development a thousand times over and more.

The review scores speak for themselves. I suspect MM are aware this could flop, Sony are well aware it could flop...and on the other hand, without hyperbole, it could just as easily go the other way and in 10 years time it could be the new Minecraft and sell hand over fist every month.

In my own opinion Sony should and will be more interested in community engagement and growth rather than sales profits.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people are viewing Dreams as a huge waste of time. They would rather spend their precious time playing real games instead of experimental games.
This.
This doesn't interest me in the slightest.
Also, they should have put the single player campaign into the foreground a good bit more.

There are not that many people who are interested in creating new games, and those people who want free shit just get em on the internet, anyway.

What a super ambitious but stupid idea, in the end.

I mean, it's not exactly a game, but at the same time it is. It's more like a creation kit for you to .. create your dreams.. it's not exactly something that I think a lot of people in Japan care about.

i think it needs a stronger SP offering.

people will make shit if they want, but you need to get them in the door first.

most people dont know they want to make something until they have the game. so if people are turned off initially because it lacks an enticing SP offering then youre not getting those "unknowns" in front of the creation tools.

Last edited:
When are we going to get the numbers on RPG Maker?

When they discover a way to make a version that can't be hacked for free using the same software that's worked since Rpg Maker 2003.

Most people who use Rpg Maker (on PC) don't even pay for it and haven't for nearly 20 years. The console versions of it sold to like 5 people. Enterbrain clearly doesn't give a shit because they seem to be supporting the pirates.

Game creation software can only be short-term mainstream successes if it's a restricted, highly accessible builder that allows some customization and social media sharing.

Something that takes time is never going to work, and even for the hardcore only some will care as they prefer creation using a mouse and keyboard on superior hardware.

You basically need a cross between Mega Man Powered Up, and Mario Maker, but make it more accessible, add modern trends to it and put a large focus on sharing via social media.

This might very well be the final nail in Media Molecule's coffin. Seven years, then sold at a really nice price, still no demand, no monetization strategy - Sony killed their VR studio lately. They killed Liverpool. They killed Evolution. I don't see a happy ending for Media Molecule here.
I disagree. Those two studios had zero potential. Wipeout? Driveclub was a disappointment critically n commercially. Once this game get online multiplayer and it’s VR mode, it’ll grow. Yoshida went on to say that Sony has high hopes for Dreams: "We have a 10 year vision for Dreams to keep growing with the community," he says. It's allowing creators to wrap their heads around the toolset, collaborate with each other to make cool things, and provide feedback to the development team. This game is essentially in beta for PS4.
Two hours.
Thats wack. I expect there being free "dlc" from other studios.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
What does Phil Spencer think though?

Phil Spencer's official Twitter response:

Tried out Dreams, had a lot of fun with it. Innovation and creativity like this brings up the whole industry. Grats to Media Molecule.

Phil Spencer's actual response:

WellwornForkedArgali-size_restricted.gif

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I wouldn't be scared of a bad launch, get a little more time on the market, probably the best creative game we've ever seen.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sony sunk a shit ton of time & money on Dreams. Not saying they'll put Media Molecule on the chopping block just yet, but I wouldn't want to be the guy(s) responsible for it.
Don't be so sure.

Evolution and Zipper made games that sold millions of copies and they got axed.

Even in this thread
Some people think it's a game
Some people think it's a tech demo
Some people think it's a game engine
Some people think it's a gimmick
Some people think it's a game maker.

It makes sense to release it to PC and PS5 and include it in PS Now. Then lower the price to maybe $20.

Media Molecule just needs to come up with paid DLC down the line.

I look at second hand store game shelves here (Japan), barely anyone ever buys anything but JRPGs, I'm not sure Japan is the place to measure something like this.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Even in this thread
Some people think it's a game
Some people think it's a tech demo
Some people think it's a game engine
Some people think it's a gimmick
Some people think it's a game maker.

Wow, almost as if you were surprised people do not all get marching order / talking points from a platform overlord or a personal fanboy think tank :p.

I look at second hand store game shelves here (Japan), barely anyone ever buys anything but JRPGs, I'm not sure Japan is the place to measure something like this.
Top 5 best selling games in this gen in Japan.
1. MK8 - Arcade Racing
2. Pokemon SwSh - Jrpg
3. SSBU - Fighting
4. Splatoon 2 - TPS
5. Minecraft - Sanbox Platformer

McCheese

They should make the content creation stuff free, but charge for the "play it" side of things.

If it's really selling this badly then its dead in the water given its reliance on user generated content

Top 5 best selling games in this gen in Japan.
1. MK8 - Arcade Racing
2. Pokemon SwSh - Jrpg
3. SSBU - Fighting
4. Splatoon 2 - TPS
5. Minecraft - Sanbox Platformer
If you'll pardon me, those titles are kind of in line with what i figured, jrpg, fighting, arcade racing,i dunno splatoon but I'm not sure third person shooter is the most accurate communication of what i see in Google screens, Minecraft, i may have been a bit general in saying they only did JRPGs but they haven't exactly gorged themselves on the same kinds of titles as the Western market, if i survey the shop shelves here~

I think i can uphold my main contention that the Japanese market needs not be considered an accurate predictor of Western market trends. I think i remember some Japanese made game that was huge overseas but relatively unpopular in Japan.. may have been MGS though i could be wrong

If you'll pardon me, those titles are kind of in line with what i figured, jrpg, fighting, arcade racing,i dunno splatoon but I'm not sure third person shooter is the most accurate communication of what i see in Google screens, Minecraft, i may have been a bit general in saying they only did JRPGs but they haven't exactly gorged themselves on the same kinds of titles as the Western market, if i survey the shop shelves here~

I think i can uphold my main contention that the Japanese market needs not be considered an accurate predictor of Western market trends. I think i remember some Japanese made game that was huge overseas but relatively unpopular in Japan.. may have been MGS though i could be wrong
MGS is huge in Japan too.

Perhaps Zelda BOTW?
1.7M in Japan
16.3M for overseas

Last edited:

Alx

They should make the content creation stuff free, but charge for the "play it" side of things.

Project Spark tried that model at one time, but dropped it quickly so I don't think it really works. You probably need as many players as possible to keep the community alive, and charging to play won't help.
Getting the revenue from creators seem harsh but at least you know that's where some of the "whales" are, and it can be a way to weed out basic and worthless creations. But on the other hand creators will quickly complain that they're doing all the hard work and still have to pay on top of it.
I'm not sure there's a truly perfect solution to that, it just remembers people that creating software is a business and not a game.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Microsoft too I guess. No sane person would buy gears fucko pop or halo in this day and age.

If it was true about Microsoft, then more would have bought Xbox One, Halo 5 and Gears of War 5. Yet here Microsoft is, with 1/4 less sold consoles than PlayStation 4. I don't see the connection.

Jealous ;)?
Over what? That I don't shit gold?

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Even for a niche release.... massive fail. There will be no word of mouth growth.

LBP planet was a dumpster fire with garbage controls. It’s sad they closed evolution and kept this trash studio.

Vawn

Banned
If it was true about Microsoft, then more would have bought Xbox One, Halo 5 and Gears of War 5. Yet here Microsoft is, with 1/4 less sold consoles than PlayStation 4. I don't see the connection.

It's almost like more people play Nintendo and Sony games because they're better games.

Nah, that can't be it. It must be a conspiracy.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
It's almost like more people play Nintendo and Sony games because they're better games.

Nah, that can't be it. It must be a conspiracy.

Please read all the quotation before replying.

MGS is huge in Japan too.

Lol?

SystemTitleFWLTDPublisherRelease Date
PS2Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty [All Versions]456.7471.141.289Konami29/11/2001
PS2Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater [All Versions]487.1561.129.926Konami16/12/2004
PS3Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots [All Versions]476.334998.429Konami12/06/2008
PSPMetal Gear Solid: Peace Walker [All Versions]446.133958.461Konami29/04/2010
PSPMetal Gear Solid: Portable Ops [All Versions]138.632926.685Konami21/12/2006
PS1Metal Gear Solid [All Versions]316.833853.019Konami03/09/1998
PS3Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance [All Versions]335.791482.667Konami21/02/2013
PS4Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain [All Versions]315.288448.554Konami02/09/2015
PSPMetal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus [All Versions]88.940394.345Konami20/09/2007
PS3Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Edition [All Versions]38.378283.886Konami10/11/2011
PS2Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance [All Versions]64.867195.554Konami19/12/2002
PS4Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes [All Versions]100.278151.860Konami20/03/2014
PS3Metal Gear Solid HD Collection [All Versions]58.864150.745Konami23/11/2011
PS1Metal Gear Solid: Integral [All Versions]40.032141.795Konami24/06/1999
PSPMetal Gear Ac!d24.149118.553Konami

Keep in minds this includes several of the games having multiple versions and GH releases included that actually makes this look worse than it actually is, while Zelda at the very least is able to sell with a single SKU.

Not huge, but I'd say MGS is decent in Japan if you exclude all he releases fluffing up the numbers.

Lol?

SystemTitleFWLTDPublisherRelease Date
PS2Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty [All Versions]456.7471.141.289Konami29/11/2001
PS2Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater [All Versions]487.1561.129.926Konami16/12/2004
PS3Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots [All Versions]476.334998.429Konami12/06/2008
PSPMetal Gear Solid: Peace Walker [All Versions]446.133958.461Konami29/04/2010
PSPMetal Gear Solid: Portable Ops [All Versions]138.632926.685Konami21/12/2006
PS1Metal Gear Solid [All Versions]316.833853.019Konami03/09/1998
PS3Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance [All Versions]335.791482.667Konami21/02/2013
PS4Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain [All Versions]315.288448.554Konami02/09/2015
PSPMetal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus [All Versions]88.940394.345Konami20/09/2007
PS3Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Edition [All Versions]38.378283.886Konami10/11/2011
PS2Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance [All Versions]64.867195.554Konami19/12/2002
PS4Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes [All Versions]100.278151.860Konami20/03/2014
PS3Metal Gear Solid HD Collection [All Versions]58.864150.745Konami23/11/2011
PS1Metal Gear Solid: Integral [All Versions]40.032141.795Konami24/06/1999
PSPMetal Gear Ac!d24.149118.553Konami

Keep in minds this includes several of the games having multiple versions and GH releases included that actually makes this look worse than it actually is, while Zelda at the very least is able to sell with a single SKU.

Not huge, but I'd say MGS is decent in Japan if you exclude all he releases fluffing up the numbers.
So what Japanese game sold poorly in home country and sold gang buster at overseas that he meant then?

manfestival

I give Sony the benefit of the doubt that they know exactly what they were getting in the launch period of Dreams.

Twice they have affirmed there is a ten year plan in place for this game. It doesn’t need to sell millions in the first few months.

MM are a tiny studio in Guilford with like 50 staff. I don’t imagine it’s expensive to run...and they made LittleBigPlanet which is a franchise that has probably paid for the last 7 years of development a thousand times over and more.

The review scores speak for themselves. I suspect MM are aware this could flop, Sony are well aware it could flop...and on the other hand, without hyperbole, it could just as easily go the other way and in 10 years time it could be the new Minecraft and sell hand over fist every month.

In my own opinion Sony should and will be more interested in community engagement and growth rather than sales profits.
review scores =/ sales

Top Bottom