• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreams Stream And Beta Sign Up Info On The 4th

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Any confirmation on level size yet?
Are they bigger than the LBP games without the need of going through a portal?

Could you replicate a decent sized 3D level say Duke Nukem 3D level one without the need of a portal?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Any confirmation on level size yet?
Are they bigger than the LBP games without the need of going through a portal?

Could you replicate a decent sized 3D level say Duke Nukem 3D level one without the need of a portal?

It's really difficult to explain size in Dreams. For one thing, flecks (the paint tool) is MUCH cheaper than sculptures and so you can make background stuff with that as well as grass, bushes, water, trees etc. Sculpts are by no means straightforward in terms of saving space. If you watch the latest stream you'll see John explaining about sculpts and you can see how different approaches can make the thermo shoot up or down. Also, if you made a sculpt that took, lets say 25% of the thermo, even if you cloned that sculpt 1000 times, it would still only be 25% of the thermo. Complex sculpts take up as much of the thermo as something as simple as a box (weird, I know). Repeating assets, building correctly and using paint will get you enormous levels if you want. You also have to remember that the level links can be activated from anywhere in the level and do not need to be a door, passageway, elevator or anything along those lines.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I think 'keyframes' are going to save thermo too once people start using them more extensively. Keyframes merely record the 'state' of something and so you can adjust settings and it records those too. Where once you had to set up logic to have a block move from 'a' to 'b' AND make it throb between blue and black, AND have it change size, with keyframes, all you'd need to do is place a keyframe down, place it on a timeline, place another keyframe down, adjust the settings required, place that down on the timeline, and then adjust the transition between the two keyframes (an area that appears between the keyframes when placed on a timeline).

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It will make much more sense when we'll have our hands on it I guess :p

There could be a major problem here though. Think about it: You're looking through someone's logic to figure out how they did something only to find lots of the 'logic' is made up of recordings using the keyframes. Now there is no way you're going to be able to figure out what they did because the keyframe only records the settings but doesn't display them.

julio_grr

Yes but it should be fairly easy to reproduce it also with keyframe in this case. If it was complexe enough that the guy used logic instead of keyframe, then you’ll have access to it.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Yes but it should be fairly easy to reproduce it also with keyframe in this case. If it was complexe enough that the guy used logic instead of keyframe, then you’ll have access to it.

Mmmm ... I don't think it's going to be that straightforward. let's say someone makes a keyframe change 10 values on several pieces of logic and that logic is sitting there on the microchip alongside the keyframe but not connected via wires. How do you know what values are changed in order to then continue along the logic to work out why 'this particular thing happened'? Remember, when you follow logic, the logic is usually affected by a string of logical steps and you can easily follow them but if the logic is affected by a keyframe, even though you've followed the logic along the end result won't match what you would normally assume the result would be.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Some of these creations are now reaching professional levels. Absolutely stunning stuff ... and to think, this is only a short beta.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
This is so cute.

0CZYc2.gif

2AqH5T.gif

And this First Person shooter looks dark and awesome!
V36D5p.gif

Still not the best out there though ...

julio_grr

"then on Monday, 21st January 2019 we will be sending out codes to the remainder of EU sign-ups "
If I read it correctly, everyone who signed up will be able to join. Proper response from Media Molecule !
I still was not in todays invites so I'm beginning to fear I misspelled my PSN when signing up...

Grinchy

Banned
sad. Just give it to some big streamers and create a fucking HYPE.....
While I want it that way too, I can kinda see why they don't do it. A big public reveal of incomplete ideas and levels made in this short time window will be off-putting to the casual crowd that needs to buy it down the road. "This is all it is? This is all you can create? I don't get this game!"

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Oh, people are ahead of me! Good to see. For anyone who has got in today, head over to my collections and check them out. Most people have just put collections together for the sake of it. I've been really picky and only picked solid art and games.

Meh, deleted it, I've seen enough browsing stuff for about 5 hours. It's not for me as I have a backlog of 30 PS4 games I'd like to play before touching this ever again. I can see the appeal of the tools they're offering though if you want to create something. It's not a game yet if ever.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Meh, deleted it, I've seen enough browsing stuff for about 5 hours. It's not for me as I have a backlog of 30 PS4 games I'd like to play before touching this ever again. I can see the appeal of the tools they're offering though if you want to create something. It's not a game yet if ever.

Who would have guessed.

Grinchy

Banned
Oh hell yeah, I got a code! Can't wait to check this out later.

Mine came at 5:45 pm EST.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Oh, God, I don't know if I should even go there but I feel it's a possibility. I'm flicking between here and 'the other site' (I go there for Dreams) and the amount of people over there getting in the beta is remarkable compared to here. It's too big for it just to be the amount of users ... so what is it? MM have a policy of employing women to better represent 'diversity'. Sony are now censoring games that 'sexualise' women. 'The other site' is filled with SJWs ....

Coincidence? Maybe ... but certainly worth noting.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I've barely scratched the surface but I've seen a couple of pretty awesome things so far. I am going to really dig in to the creator later tonight.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I've barely scratched the surface but I've seen a couple of pretty awesome things so far. I am going to really dig in to the creator later tonight.

Did you experience that silenthill-esque creation? It's worth popping over to see his other creations. Check out the traffic lights in the wind.

Grinchy

Banned
Did you experience that silenthill-esque creation? It's worth popping over to see his other creations. Check out the traffic lights in the wind.
Not yet. I knew I wouldn't have a whole lot of time until later but I just went through as much as I could in one sitting.

I don't know how much I'm supposed to say here publicly, but anyone who was annoyed by how long it took to sift through and load up LBP levels, you are in for a treat with this game.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Oh, God, I don't know if I should even go there but I feel it's a possibility. I'm flicking between here and 'the other site' (I go there for Dreams) and the amount of people over there getting in the beta is remarkable compared to here. It's too big for it just to be the amount of users ... so what is it? MM have a policy of employing women to better represent 'diversity'. Sony are now censoring games that 'sexualise' women. 'The other site' is filled with SJWs ....

Seems like a stretch.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Not yet. I knew I wouldn't have a whole lot of time until later but I just went through as much as I could in one sitting.

I don't know how much I'm supposed to say here publicly, but anyone who was annoyed by how long it took to sift through and load up LBP levels, you are in for a treat with this game.

Just a hint about finding content. Don't bother with dream surfing, go straight to create mode (separated into categories). There you can find everything and in their own categories. You just want games, go to the create game section. You just want sculptures, just go to the sculpture section. It was actually over a week before some people cottoned on to this (including me).

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Just a hint about finding content. Don't bother with dream surfing, go straight to create mode (separated into categories). There you can find everything and in their own categories. You just want games, go to the create game section. You just want sculptures, just go to the sculpture section. It was actually over a week before some people cottoned on to this (including me).
Ahhh, that does help. I was doing the surfing, and while it served the purpose initially, coming back to it just leads to the same list that you have to scroll through to get to something you haven't seen yet.

julio_grr

I wouldn’t care. Given the target audience of MM games, the people over-there probably signed-up en-masse. It’s very niche on GAF. So the numbers show up over-there.

Considering that there are allegedly business insiders over there it's not far-fetched they got some extra codes out of the normal application procedure. Actually, If I were Sony or MM I'd give out codes amongst the most loyal fanbase first. On a positive note, the ones who arrive later in the game (upon release, probably) will have plenty of tools already created by other players so that we can build from there. I am already writing down some notes on ideas for videogames or creations.

I just wish Sony nails the marketing and community management of this game.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Considering that there are allegedly business insiders over there it's not far-fetched they got some extra codes out of the normal application procedure. Actually, If I were Sony or MM I'd give out codes amongst the most loyal fanbase first. On a positive note, the ones who arrive later in the game (upon release, probably) will have plenty of tools already created by other players so that we can build from there. I am already writing down some notes on ideas for videogames or creations.

I just wish Sony nails the marketing and community management of this game.

I've currently got two ideas for games and neither have ever been done before! Both are going to really test and annoy the player. I might throw in a little voice over mocking the player just to make matters worse. Placeholder names: X-it and I Quit. I'm going to have a problem with I Quit because I only want the score board to register the first attempt and people will not get on the scoreboard if they restart or reset. It will be the least attempts + time. The reason for the time is just in case some people do it in the same amount of attempts.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
First of all, thanks to everyone for all of your feedback, questions, bug reports and insightful chats! One of the main purposes of this Beta has been to gather feedback from you, our lovely community, so we can see where we need to make adjustments, deploy fixes or add some polish. You haven't let us down and it's been super interesting for us to read about your experiences - even if your feedback doesn't get a Molecule response rest assured we are trying to read, organise and prioritise everything that comes in. As we open up the beta further, we wanted to address some of those key points and let you know our plans.

So, onto those burning issues...
Controls!
We know motion control can be tricky to get to grips with, especially when you're starting out. What has been really heartening for us is that many of you have shared your success stories after spending a bit of time in Dreams, even after initially struggling. Creating in Dreams is like any new skill - it takes some time to learn. That said, we've been blown away by the creations that have already been appearing in the Dreamiverse. You are a talented lot!

We have already been working on a completely motion-free control scheme for the DS4 and your feedback has reinforced that some players will need it. Our desire is to make Dreams as accessible as possible and we have already prototyped a completely motion-free control scheme for the DS4. We now need to move this prototype through the phases (finishing the design, and then moving into final implementation, testing, user testing, updating tutorials etc) and so it’s a little way off but rest assured it is on its way. We'll update the community when we have a clear release window for this feature.

Tutorials!

We have a bunch more tutorials already in the works including Character Creation, Character Gameplay and some extra Move controller tutorials. We have plans for loads more too, and we really want to dig into logic a bit deeper. I know it's been tough for you all especially as the NDA has prevented you from sharing community tutorials or from chatting on channels other than the forum (which is obviously not ideal as it's mainly designed for feedback!). Tutorials do take quite a bit of time to make (Connie is such a diva) but rest assured there are many more planned for Dreams.

We are also still working on the tutorial player and will be implementing some of your suggestions- for example, the ability to skip forwards 10 seconds and a better progress indicator in the Dreams Workshop.

Dreamiverse!

The Dreamiverse team has been working incredibly hard to make the experience of browsing, publishing, commenting and sharing Dreams better for everyone. This was one of the areas that we knew wasn't in its final form when we released the Beta and all of your feedback has been super helpful in refining the ways we're improving it already. Expect to see lots of thoughtful changes to the Dreamiverse when we release.

So, once again: thank you all. Hopefully this covers a lot of the big concerns some of you have, but please do continue giving us your feedback, questions and bugs - we appreciate all of it!

https://feedback.indreams.me/knowledgebase/articles/1896073-beta-report-what-we-ve-learned-so-far

Top Bottom