• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreams Stream And Beta Sign Up Info On The 4th

We'll see ;)
Anyway I expect them to give hints towards a release date tonight ...
I do not. i'm expecting them sitting and showing off a bunch more creations by the community. and demoing some techniques. they may reiterate what they said on their website about how they are listening to everyones feedback, and will be adding more DS4 controls, etc..

if they are going to give a release date itll be the day the beta ends. else we wont hear about it till they are confident that they ahve addressed most of the community's largest issues successfully.

ill throw my hat into the ring and say itll be a summer/holiday title and definitely a ps5 crossgen launch year game in 2020.

Last edited:

wvnative

My friend got in but I didn't. But it sounds bad from his perspective. Apparently something in the way the camera moves makes him extremely motion sick. Also sounds like the gyro controls are required for UI navigation...

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Oh, God, I don't know if I should even go there but I feel it's a possibility. I'm flicking between here and 'the other site' (I go there for Dreams) and the amount of people over there getting in the beta is remarkable compared to here. It's too big for it just to be the amount of users ... so what is it? MM have a policy of employing women to better represent 'diversity'. Sony are now censoring games that 'sexualise' women. 'The other site' is filled with SJWs ....

Coincidence? Maybe ... but certainly worth noting.

Please don't believe this...

Grinchy

Banned
The NDA feels like a weird grey area. They show a ton of levels from the beta during their public stream, so shouldn't we technically be allowed to discuss anything that they're showing? Mechanics, level design, ease of creation, ect?

how long will this stream be? till 2?

man seeing everyones creations. im so intimidated and overwhelmed.

man that cloth fx was amazing.

excited for exploding rock!

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
6B9yTgg.gif

pcostabel

Gold Member
I don't know if you guys in the beta can answer this, but I'll ask anyway.
Is there a way to procedurally create geometry? I don't mean emitters, but something like a fractal landscape generator.

I don't know if you guys in the beta can answer this, but I'll ask anyway.
Is there a way to procedurally create geometry? I don't mean emitters, but something like a fractal landscape generator.

I havent seen anything like that - but i imagine someone will build a tool for it in time.

i'm not in beta though :messenger_pensive:....yet!

will have a meager 1.5 weeks to play with the beta come next week.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I'm still working my way through tutorials. Sculpting specifically is more complex than I was imagining it would be. I know it will become more natural the more I do it, but I haven't made anything I'd want anyone else seeing yet lol

Man, there was this one level I played that may not have been shown yet, so I won't say much, but it was awesome. It compelled me to stick with it for like 15+ minutes at a time when I was just browsing through stuff for a few minutes at a time.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm still working my way through tutorials. Sculpting specifically is more complex than I was imagining it would be. I know it will become more natural the more I do it, but I haven't made anything I'd want anyone else seeing yet lol

Man, there was this one level I played that may not have been shown yet, so I won't say much, but it was awesome. It compelled me to stick with it for like 15+ minutes at a time when I was just browsing through stuff for a few minutes at a time.

Sculpting gets easier as you become familiar with the tools and find new ways around problems.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Gribble, I was looking through your stuff and it made me realize how dumb I was being when making a brick texture for something I was working on. I realized right away how much simpler and more effective it was to do it the way you did it on your fireplace.

julio_grr

Man I hope I'll get a code on Monday.
I now know exactly what I want to do with the tools. It's a very simple concept, full of logic and a little bit of animations, and if I can make it in the 10 days or so the beta will last, I'll be kinda proud :) And I'll know I'll be able to make almost anything I want when the game releases.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Gribble, I was looking through your stuff and it made me realize how dumb I was being when making a brick texture for something I was working on. I realized right away how much simpler and more effective it was to do it the way you did it on your fireplace.

That wasn't mine. I took it from the community. Or is that what you meant? Or are you talking about the tiles in the hearth? I'm not happy with my cave assets. I don't think they should be shiny and can't decide what to make them instead. Wax looks good on the pillar but not on the other things, and I want uniformity.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
I really appreciate the ambition MM put into this. I feel bad that this will sell poorly and will end with Sony closing the studio, confirming AAA publishers belief that its best to play it safe as possible and leave new ideas to smaller budgets and indie titles.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I really appreciate the ambition MM put into this. I feel bad that this will sell poorly and will end with Sony closing the studio, confirming AAA publishers belief that its best to play it safe as possible and leave new ideas to smaller budgets th indie titles.

Let's see shall we.

Grinchy

Banned
That wasn't mine. I took it from the community. Or is that what you meant? Or are you talking about the tiles in the hearth? I'm not happy with my cave assets. I don't think they should be shiny and can't decide what to make them instead. Wax looks good on the pillar but not on the other things, and I want uniformity.
Oh, ok. I was going through your profile earlier and checking out things that I thought it said were made by you, like the fireplace and the staircases. The way the brick wall surrounding the fireplace worked gave me a better idea for how to do the brick walls I was working on.

I really appreciate the ambition MM put into this. I feel bad that this will sell poorly and will end with Sony closing the studio, confirming AAA publishers belief that its best to play it safe as possible and leave new ideas to smaller budgets th indie titles.
I hate to say but I do have some concerns. I think people who only want to play levels will have what could be a good campaign and the possibility for some really neat user-created levels. I think things have the potential to be way better than LBP from a gameplay perspective, which would already justify a purchase IMO.

However, the creator in LBP was something that more casual users could at least make something in, whereas creation in this game may end up being strictly for the very hardcore. That could be a good thing, since it could lead to a smaller number of good levels online compared to LBP's massive cache of crap to sift through, but it might be a disappointment to those more casual creators. Things are still being tweaked, so it's not like there's any reason to come to any concrete opinions yet, but I just do have some slight concerns. Judging by the topics at the beta forums, I'm not completely alone in that.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Wow, after watching one of their streams from a couple weeks ago where they use the Move controllers to do the sculpting, I don't know why I haven't bothered to try it out yet. It looks infinitely better than using the dualshock. They even kinda admit that sculpting works better with the Moves themselves in the stream.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Oh, ok. I was going through your profile earlier and checking out things that I thought it said were made by you, like the fireplace and the staircases. The way the brick wall surrounding the fireplace worked gave me a better idea for how to do the brick walls I was working on.

I hate to say but I do have some concerns. I think people who only want to play levels will have what could be a good campaign and the possibility for some really neat user-created levels. I think things have the potential to be way better than LBP from a gameplay perspective, which would already justify a purchase IMO.

However, the creator in LBP was something that more casual users could at least make something in, whereas creation in this game may end up being strictly for the very hardcore. That could be a good thing, since it could lead to a smaller number of good levels online compared to LBP's massive cache of crap to sift through, but it might be a disappointment to those more casual creators. Things are still being tweaked, so it's not like there's any reason to come to any concrete opinions yet, but I just do have some slight concerns. Judging by the topics at the beta forums, I'm not completely alone in that.

Oh, the staircases, the cave assets, the cliff and the actual fireplace are mine. I just borrowed the wall. In answer to your other question, 'sets' are likely to be the solution for casuals. I was going to do that myself but realised I wasn't good enough (yet) to attempt it. If you look at the set MM have given us, you'll see what I mean. You could make a fantasy set, a horror set etc. These would have built in limits and guides so the creator can only put them together leggo fashion.

ClumsyUnequaledAchillestang-mobile.mp4

FrankBoringBarebirdbat-mobile.mp4

ClumsyUnequaledAchillestang-mobile.mp4

Last edited:

FatboyTim

Yes ... but it would be better to buy the set to be honest. Are you saving much by only buying one MOVE and the camera?
I've got some Amazon credit to spend and there is big difference in prices there. Given that I already have 1 x PS3 Move Controller, if the PS3 Move is fully compatible:
  1. PS4 Camera + [PS3 Camera with bundled 2nd Move Controller] = £80
  2. PS4 Camera + 1 x PS4 Move Controller = £105
  3. PS4 Camera + PS4 Move Controller Twinpack = £170

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I didn't watch the last stream right to the end because it was just their farewells, so I missed the part where John said he would be showing off one of his creations. I'm really looking forward to that.

Top Bottom