• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIV3R is No. 1 in the U.S.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I don't think anyone is suprised at all. I mean it's Driver 3 and they have a massive advertising budget with well made commercials. Hell it's a GTA clone, Atari would have to try their damndest in order for it not to sell. Atari already did an impressive job in releasing the game in the state it's in but even that won't prevent sales.

axxxj

Animator in Waiting
Just out of interest i'd like to know who here has played it far any considerable amount of time??

Alcibiades

mj1108 said:
Regardless it's good to see that the GameCube got the best version of Driv3r.

actually, I was pretty pissed off at first this wasn't on GCN, but now I'm glad it's not clogging up what little shelf space the Cube gets and gives way for other titles (most of them very good ones, seeing as to the great taste in games the GCN audience has)...

Four Swords Adventure and Megaman Collection should carry the Cube fine for this month...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
efralope said:
actually, I was pretty pissed off at first this wasn't on GCN, but now I'm glad it's not clogging up what little shelf space the Cube gets and gives way for other titles (most of them very good ones, seeing as to the great taste in games the GCN audience has)...

Four Swords Adventure and Megaman Collection should carry the Cube fine for this month...

ge-man

What's this have to do with the GC anyway?

On topic--It pains me to see that game do that well. I understand how powerful a good ad campaign is so the sales shouldn't be shocking. Still, I hope they realize how unfinished the game is and return the game in disugst or send complaints to Atari. I really don't want to see this trend of buggy ass console games gain anymore momentum than it already has.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
ge-man said:
On topic--It pains me to see that game do that well. I understand how powerful a good ad campaign is so the sales shouldn't be shocking. Still, I hope they realize how unfinished the game is and return the game in disugst or send complaints to Atari. I really don't want to see this trend of buggy ass console games gain anymore momentum than it already has.
That's an extremely valid fear that everyone should have on their mind. Atari is showing every other developer out there that an excellent marketing campaign is more important than providing a decent product in the long run. Driver 3 needed several more months in development but releasing it early has had no impact on sales thus far. What does that say to EA et al?

We are at an extremely critical point where consumer awareness is important in order to ensure future product quality. I'm not blaming the companies responsible, they only care about the bottom line, but we shouldn't enable them to act in irresponsible ways either.

cja

T'is only one week. One week with very weak competition. Driv3r will need to sell very strongly throughout the summer months to get rid of that initial shipment. I expect sales to dive with Spidey and the bad word of mouth. Still expect this sucka to be $20 by the holidays.

dark10x

I'd really like to hear something from Reflections...

This would be a great game to do a post-mortem article on...

dark10x said:
I'd really like to hear something from Reflections...

Does EGM still do those interviews with developers a month after the game is released? I wonder if Reflections would do one. Or better yet, would EGM actually ask the hard questions. Did Atari rush them to finish the game? Or did they just decide to let it go without taking out all the bugs. I figure they're a bit worried about GTASA and want to make sure that they've got it out in enough time for it to build up a decent amount of sales without GTASA getting in its way.

dark10x

SolidSnakex said:
Does EGM still do those interviews with developers a month after the game is released? I wonder if Reflections would do one. Or better yet, would EGM actually ask the hard questions. Did Atari rush them to finish the game? Or did they just decide to let it go without taking out all the bugs. I figure they're a bit worried about GTASA and want to make sure that they've got it out in enough time for it to build up a decent amount of sales without GTASA getting in its way.

Even better, I would really like to see a Gamasutra feature. Their post-mortem articles are fantastic and go into very fine details lacking from something like EGM. You should take a look at some of those articles over there if you haven't done so already. Some very interesting reading material...

dark10x said:
Even better, I would really like to see a Gamasutra feature. Their post-mortem articles are fantastic and go into very fine details lacking from something like EGM. You should take a look at some of those articles over there if you haven't done so already. Some very interesting reading material...

That'd be cool but I don't see them getting working members at Reflections to agree to describing what went on. But I think there's going to be a fall out there soon over this because Driver 3 cost alot of money to develop and it's probably going to have a very difficult time making it all back with the backlash it's getting. That's probably another reason for the release of the game. Atari just didn't want to fund the game anymore because it was taking too long and with the chances of it making the money back lowering (especially if it went head to head with GTA) they're just trying their best with the way it is now.

I still think the game is kind of fun but it definetly needs tweaking. Some of the stuff that goes on in the game just isn't right. The running into poles is just the start of the problem really. But Reflections driving physics are so awesome. :) But the superbike is just boring to drive, no real sense of speed.

Atari addressed its decision to cease development on a GameCube version of Driver 3 by stating that "it is extremely important to both [the game's developer] Reflections and Atari that the game achieve unmatched quality in all aspects of the title when it ships next year. Because of that, we've decided to focus the efforts of our development team on maximizing the game's potential on our lead SKUs, Xbox and PS2. Therefore, the game will not be published on GameCube."

http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/driving/driver3/news_6075738.html

Vargas

efralope said:

When I read things like this I just scratch my head and wonder if people are just joking. It seems like something a person would say at GameFAQs.

BuddyC

sadga2.gif

Top Bottom