• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drive Club new info

Certinty

Good stuff.

Would love this to be like Forza Horizon, absolutely loved that game!

Will get this day 1 with my PS4 and Watch Dogs.

More info from GE.

Play offline in single-player
- Also has a big online focus
- User-created race challenges encouraged
- Everything you do is tracked by a single profile in single-plaer
- With teams, accomplishments are funneled together into the larger success of the group
- Three-on-three team challenges included
- Create events based on different parameters: car type, track, time of day, weather, etc.
- Can make lengthy multi-stage events that take place over a number of days
- Participants can span in the thousands with hundreds of different teams
- Win smaller accolades to add team’s XP
- These include clocking the fastest lap, drifting 1,000 meters, going 0 to 60 the fastest
- Use apps outside of DriveClub to make challenges as well
- Spread accomplishments and media through social media chanels
- Evolution will be making its own season of league racing through weekly online race events
- Visuals and gameplay are equally important
- DualShock 4′s touchpad is used for menu navigation, for the most part
- Touchpad also being considered for cameras
- Not a simulation-based racer
- Damage cars take won’t determine how they handle
- Koenigsegg, Maserati, Pagani, Hennessey are represented
- Start off with slightly less glamorous cars
- Race and increase fame/funds to gain access to better cars
- More people will watch you race as well
- More cars will be added through DLC; will be “one of the biggest titles for Sony from a DLC perspective”

NateDrake

Sounds great, loving that damage is only cosmetic. That's how it should be in an arcade racer.

This though, this worries...

I take that to mean launch will lack cars and it will slowly build. So Day 1 content to be minimal but it will eventually offer a nice selection of cars.

I like.

Now confirm the shit ton of money I spent on a racing setup was worth it and will carry over to the PS4 and we're good.

Horizon has tracks. It also happens to have a large world you can traverse to get to them. Would love it if this game did the same, but I didn't get that vibe from the description. Others seemed to, which is why I asked. I hate sims, but a mix of sim and arcadey sounds like my kind of game.
I prefer the Test Drive Unlimited method. The tracks are a part of the game world and you can visit and practice them in free roam. Horizon takes interesting stretches of road and closes them off making them into ad-hoc tracks that only exist when you start a particular event.

But overall, I'm really getting exasperated with the mix of arcade and sim. Can somebody please make an open world racer with sim physics and clean driving? Open world doesn't have to automatically mean arcade physics and smash derbies and races where using brakes is completely optional. At least allow the sim fans among us to disable all the arcade like assists.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I read that as tracks are on landscapes with wide open scenery. Not that tracks themselves are open.

Yeah, I think it means more like this.

About single player, it sounds like a big focus is creating and playing racing challenges with others, so I guess the author wanted to clarify that you can play offline/alone if you want. But all your accomplishments etc. are tied to your profile, and if you do later join a team, your experience will be added in to the team's. As you progress, you get more money for more cars (of course), and bigger crowds come to watch your races.

Mentions also you'll be able to create and promote challenges using apps on other devices, I guess it'll be one of the things using the 'second screen' app that Sony announced in Feb.

I take that to mean launch will lack cars and it will slowly build. So Day 1 content to be minimal but it will eventually offer a nice selection of cars.

This greatly annoyed me in Horizon, I was hoping we wouldn't see a repeat, but it ultimately comes down to implementation. So long as you're not constantly poked to buy DLC and the base game has enough decent cars, I'll be happy.

Carl

Not usually my kind of game (i don't think...) but willing to keep an eye on it and see. Certainly comes from a great developer and has some interesting ideas behind it.

Guymelef

Also mention that touchpad is for menu navigation, they thinking about also use for cameras, but nothing decide

sunnz

My wish of it being open world is pretty much gone now sadly.

Plus the DLC push is quite frustrating and I am not a big fan on team racing and such.

Hopefully we get TDU3 for next gen with proper improvements ( better physics mainly)

Not buying their DLC. I will, however, take control of someone else's game via the Share option and check out DLC that way. Nyah nyahhhhhh.

saladine1

I was about to say what about upgrades and customization but realized all the cars are pretty much high end to begin with. Still looking forward to some honest to goodness gameplay action.

Takuya

Banned
With the Direction this game is going, it's not unlikely that we can now see GT6 alongside this game at or near launch.

SinSilla

"Tracks on open landscape" doesn't exactly scream open world to me. I think they mean open vistas, as opposed to closed real world racing tracks. If that makes any sense.

TheKayle

Banned
this game will be hot!

and i dont understand why they need to point the difference with the next gt

- Not a simulation-based racer

who cares? theres any real simulator over any console :/

"Tracks on open landscape" doesn't exactly scream open world to me. I think they mean open vistas, as opposed to closed real world racing tracks. If that makes any sense.

So kind of like Hot Pursuit 2/Hot Pursuit 2010 & Forza Horizon? Sounds great to me, I loved the stages in those games. Racing in mountains/forests/beaches > closed circuits (for arcade racers anyway).

FlyFaster

This sounds great so far.

Really hoping the new McLaren P1

mclaren-p1-paris.jpg

and Ferrari F-150 (LaFerrari)

laferrari.jpg

are in the game.

Is this confirmed as a PS4 exclusive or do we think this will eventually spread to the other consoles once the new generation really kicks off?

The_Monk

I really need some gameplay videos, I'm very curious about this one and my game fix for racing is starting to show. This and GT6 will help that.

Damaged cars should take handling hits, I mean... I look forwards to blowing a tire, and barely making my way to the pit stop.
DLC, does this mean we can take the Batmobile for a spin?

You missed the part were it said that it is not a Sim game, that role will be exclusively covered by GT6/7.

I'm confused too.

Think he means in the GI issue, there's some screens. I personally think it looks fine visually, but like any racing game the beauty will be motion.

I'm excited about the weekly racing events by both Evolution and users. Hopefully this week lead to regional circuits etc. I've always wanted to be a part of something like that in a more arcade fashion.

Violater

Hopefully Evolution studios they cash in on drive club as a release title and then move on to another genre.
Turn Drive Club into a platform with updates and dlc and not try to release sequels when the PS4 game library will have outgrown the appeal of a arcade/sim racer.

Top Bottom