• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub Director: We're Aiming to Deliver a Premium Experience, 30FPS Was a Choice

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I'd rather the game look a generation behind and be 60fps....oh well no Driveclub for me I guess

GameSeeker

The small minority who keep complaining about 60fps are immaterial to DriveClub's success.

Customers vote with their wallets and every year millions buy 30fps racers. Fortunately, there are 60fps racers for the small minority who must have it. The rest don't care.

Solid 30fps = choppy, got it.

It's always a compromise of visuals and frame rate, Evo have chosen visuals, get over it.
60fps is visuals. If they chose visuals then they would go for 60fps. Instead they went for more polygons and higher draw distance.
Bullshit. It was a compromise. If the hardware could do 60 they would.

I had a PC that was a bit more powerful than the PS4 and it could do 60fps. That means the PS4 can do it also.

No point in "pushing visual fidelity" if you're just going to make it look ugly with a choppy framerate.

30 FPS is not "choppy", Jesus fuck.

This thread is proof positive that people would rather dicksword about tech specs than actually play their games. FPS means diddly shit if the game behind it isn't fun.

Exactly... I'm more into graphics than I am buttery baby ass levels of framerate smoothness.

+1
Wow, I've joked about it, but I didn't think that opinion actually existed in an unironical manner.
If you don't consider framerate an important aspect of graphics, you might want to try an art museum or google image search. No need to put up with us baby asses.

30 FPS is not "choppy", Jesus fuck.

This thread is proof positive that people would rather dicksword about tech specs than actually play their games. FPS means diddly shit if the game behind it isn't fun.
That's not the point. The game might remain playable, but it's ironic when framerate manages to completely ruin the visuals, in a game where visuals are supposed to be the priority.

Hasney

Eh, I still want 60fps for my serious driving games, but this is pretty casual looking anyway and the Plus version sounds like more than enough.

Time to start planning my PC upgrades for Project CARS, however.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
That's a terrible and disappointing choice for a racing game. 60 fps is not absolutely neccessary for all genres, but for the best racing experience it most certainly is. But presentation > gameplay experience apparantly

If you really care about 60fps for this game, turn on motionflow or trumotion on your TV and it'll magically convert it to 120hz. Problem solved. I played every 30fps game last gen in 120fps this way. Have you seen Titanfall in 120hz??

HTupolev

By that logic 60 fps is choppy compared to 120.
A lot of people would agree with that conclusion, yes.

(But it doesn't necessarily follow, as there are going to be diminishing returns on framerate gains; 10,000fps wouldn't usually be a huge improvement over 5,000fps, obviously.)

There's a lot of wasted space below the car in chase cam, it sits up in the middle of the screen.

Does the game have another more traditional chase cam view?

Customers vote with their wallets and every year millions buy 30fps racers. Fortunately, there are 60fps racers for the small minority who must have it. The rest don't care.
Hah, and this is just as smarmy and dismissive from the other side.

But the fact remains that 60fps is alive and well in at least three racers we know about or can expect: Forza, GT and Project Cars. DriveClub is not tipping the scales of the genre as a whole towards 30fps.

If you really care about 60fps for this game, turn on motionflow or trumotion on your TV and it'll magically convert it to 120hz. Problem solved. I played every 30fps game last gen in 120fps this way. Have you seen Titanfall in 120hz??

Input Lag might be an issue with trumotion or motionflow

wapplew

This sound familiar, something something 900p is a design choice something.

Anyway, Driveclub look stunning!

nib95

Banned
60fps is visuals. If they chose visuals then they would go for 60fps. Instead they went for more polygons and higher draw distance.
Turning in to the carnival of stupid over here. Polygons, shaders, lighting, shadowing, draw distance etc etc are as much a part of "visuals" if not much more so. I am absolutely confident that to the vast majority of gamers, the graphical differences lent by going 30fps will be far more noticeable and appreciable than the 60fps alternative.

FStop7

Banned
Project Gotham Racing was 30fps and it felt good

Project Gotham Racing was almost 13 years ago.

More recently, Forza Horizon was 30fps and it felt "good." It was very fun. But the lower framerate was a mark against it when it comes to the feeling of driving fast. In an arcade-ish driving game that's okay. But if you want to achieve a high degree of realism, which Driveclub is literally all about (remember the way the Driveclub guy was practically masturbating on stage over every nuance of a car) then you need 60fps.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
A lot of people would agree with that conclusion, yes.

(But it doesn't necessarily follow, as there are going to be diminishing returns on framerate gains; 10,000fps wouldn't usually be a huge improvement over 5,000fps, obviously.)

Yeah and that's the point, if we keep going up and up, eventually everything will look choppy compared to the previous, you see? 30 FPS isn't choppy.

That's a terrible and disappointing choice for a racing game. 60 fps is not absolutely neccessary for all genres, but for the best racing experience it most certainly is. But presentation > gameplay experience apparantly

I've said it in another DC thread and i'll say it again, graphics also play a huge part in gameplay experience. Is 60 fps objectively better? Yes, but a solid 30 is fine, especially when the game in question looks as good as this. Better graphics can help one enjoy the game more.

Superflat

If a 30 fps game dips to 20 fps or below, it'll look like shit. Locked 30 is fine. Just don't dip.

60 fps to me is more icing on the cake than something to live or die by.

That was a demonstration of our cloud system. It’s not faked. It’s not just an image in the background that looks like a skybox. These are dynamic, volumetric clouds. They’re all random as well. It’s not like the clouds will be in the same formation every time you play the same race. They’ll change. It might sound like a gimmick, but it changes the way the whole stage is lit. You’ll be racing in the same conditions – cloudy at noon – but because the cloud cover is different, it lights the stage completely differently, giving a whole different tone and feel to the stage.

Thirty frames? We’re nailing it right now. We’re locked at 30. There’s no drops.

lawd.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I understand that and I don't mean to be dismissive, or at least not as dismissive as those who haven't touched the title and are ready to call 'terrible decision' (at the very least) on a measured choice by people who actually have money and a franchise on the line. I call it a 'pretty little thing' because it's one single early gen exclusive racer and the devs have probably given a lot more thought into this than we have. Not because I don't think that 60fps should be the target for the vast majority of games this generation, because I do. These guys wanted to go for impressive visuals, and they did. I'm not gonna knock that unless the game plays like shit and I'm not convinced that 30fps alone is enough to make a game play like shit (much less make it look 'ugly and choppy') so I'm just left shocked by some of these responses.

didn't mean to seem like you were only being singled out, to be honest you're more measured than the pure hyperbole coming from both sides. Personally it's sickening cause for some it's pure biology and just like color blindness most may not perceive the smoothness/speed issue. For others its not and is talking/trolling point that makes pc gamers look bad.

Devs don't have as much control as people give them credit for. Unless they are totally independent they aren't really calling the shots on this subject. Calling the decision terrible is a reach, though the debate about it not being the best certainly is valid to have.

I already mentioned in other threads why I'm not harping like others are. You mentioned a big point for me it's an exclusive racer on platform that is still in the early stages of being exploited. If this was 3 or 4 years in to the PS4 then I'd be more uppity.

30fps is choppy you can argue all you like but numbers are just that. When people document the issue and one side ignores simply cause of preference or experience you don't have much standing with me or others. By various standards be it games or movies we have at best it's middle ground but by no means is it smooth especially when people have used high fps cameras and made vids of the subject to show how and why it's a dumb format.

That's not the point. The game might remain playable, but it's ironic when framerate manages to completely ruin the visuals, in a game where visuals are supposed to be the priority.

A locked 30 frames per second =/= completely ruined visuals

this is hyperbole

didn't mean to seem like you were only being singled out, to be honest you're more measured than the pure hyperbole coming from both sides. Personally it's sickening cause for some it's pure biology and just like color blindness most may not perceive the smoothness/speed issue. For others its not and is talking/trolling point that makes pc gamers look bad.

Devs don't have as much control as people give them credit for. Unless they are totally independent they aren't really calling the shots on this subject. Calling the decision terrible is a reach, though the debate about it not being the best certainly is valid to have.

I already mentioned in other threads why I'm not harping like others are. You mentioned a big point for me it's an exclusive racer on platform that is still in the early stages of being exploited. If this was 3 or 4 years in to the PS4 then I'd be more uppity.

30fps is choppy you can argue all you like but numbers are just that. When people document the issue and one side ignores simply cause of preference or experience you don't have much standing with me or others. By various standards be it games or movies we have at best it's middle ground but by no means is it smooth especially when people have used high fps cameras and made vids of the subject to show how and why it's a dumb format.
I can't find anything here to disagree with. No, it's not smooth relative to 60fps. I still feel like it's a bit less important that every single racer boasts 60fps than some people let on (that comparison to fighting games had me rolling), even if I prefer 60fps and do 99% of my multiplatform gaming on PC as a result. It's like ^^^ that post right there. I said 'god damn'. It's like the very definition of bolded.

Hasney

I don't know why, but the talk of the dynamic clouds and lighting system makes me kinda moist.

That could be because a cloud is a visible mass of liquid droplets or frozen crystals made of water or various chemicals suspended in the atmosphere above the surface of a planetary body.

HTupolev

Yeah and that's the point, if we keep going up and up, eventually everything will look choppy compared to the previous, you see? 30 FPS isn't choppy.
No, if we keep going up and up, eventually everything will look the same.

30fps is low enough that, even with fairly heavy motion blur and scenes with somewhat typical amounts of movement, our eyes can easily detect the temporal imprecision. The extent to which that's a problem is debatable, but calling it "choppy" is a reasonable description IMO.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Eerily similar to when Crytek stated that Ryse at 900p was a choice.

Same for ubisoft taking hits for watchdog. The consoles have some clear limits that various devs have already talked about. People like to talk about 60fps but are forgetting some of the damning info devs have said about pc or consoles being limited by them like Dice on ram size and fps. Even if we wanted to at times we don't have ability to feed the systems fast enough.

Same group of 60 fps whiners. We get it, 30 fps will make your eyes bleed. No one cares if you're not going to buy the game because of the frame rate.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Honest questions from somebody ignorant -

Why can't they just have graphical options like on PC?

Why is everything 30 or 60. Why not 40?

MEsoJD

Banned
I guarantee you if they could keep that level of detail at 60 fps they would. There are no negatives that come with 60fps.

I don't know why, but the talk of the dynamic clouds and lighting system makes me kinda moist.
Would be awesome to start in a mountain valley with cloud cover above (dark, dreary, etc), drive up the mountain on wet roads, pass through the clouds/fog, and break out onto dry road conditions and sunshine, and look down into the valley, see the clouds, etc.

Or better yet, dump that feature entirely, pre-bake the lighting, and lets run this bitch at 60fps...........................................................................not.

phanphare

Banned
GamesBeat: Does it look like you’re going to hit your framerate target easily?

Rustchynsky: Thirty frames? We’re nailing it right now. We’re locked at 30. There’s no drops. That’s very important. We want to make sure that — 30 frames was a choice by us, to make sure we can push the visual fidelity of the game. But we also didn’t want to compromise the gameplay in any way, shape, or form. We tried to make sure that latency between your inputs and what happens on screen is as rapid as humanly possible. You always feel completely in control of the car.

uhhhhhhh.......

ChawlieTheFair

No, if we keep going up and up, eventually everything will look the same.

30fps is low enough that, even with fairly heavy motion blur and scenes with somewhat typical amounts of movement, our eyes can easily detect the temporal imprecision. The extent to which that's a problem is debatable, but calling it "choppy" is a reasonable description IMO.

I agree that 30 fps is choppy in a game where one has played it with 60 fps. But you've never played nor will you play DC at 60fps, so what is there to compare to know it's choppy? Killzone doesn't feel any more choppy to me at 30 fps on ps3 than CSGO does at 60 fps on my PC, and part of that may be the controller, but the point still says.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Honest questions from somebody ignorant -

Why can't they just have graphical options like on PC?

Why is everything 30 or 60. Why not 40?

1. More work, and they would need to test that whole process out. I say this all the time but after having a namco and valve friend be honest about things I've lightened up a bit. Devs barely have enough time now for content and other more important things performance is still something that doesn't get the attention it needs.

2. Things work betters in threes for frames for various reasons including timing.

I agree that 30 fps is choppy in a game where one has played it with 60 fps. But you've never played nor will you play DC at 60fps, so what is there to compare to know it's choppy? Killzone doesn't feel any more choppy to me at 30 fps on ps3 than CSGO does at 60 fps on my PC, and part of that may be the controller, but the point still says.

it always choppy for reasons I stated or linked too, doesn't matter the title time will always make it choppy due my perception of motion and light. Killzone will feel choppy for the reasons devs themselves said it was choppy. Also lets not mention Cs:Go or cs on the subject of frames or tickrate plenty of articles out there actually touch upon why high fps or ticrate is good things for games. They also mention why you don't see it which is largely due to performance strain.You can use a controller for CS or most tactical kinds just had a great run in headshot only server with someone using a controller this morning.

GameSeeker

Hah, and this is just as smarmy and dismissive from the other side.

But the fact remains that 60fps is alive and well in at least three racers we know about or can expect: Forza, GT and Project Cars. DriveClub is not tipping the scales of the genre as a whole towards 30fps.

It's good to have 60fps racers. I certainly have enjoyed GT and Forza in the past and I'm looking forward to buying Project Cars come this Nov.

However, this doesn't change the fact that 30fps racers sell extremely well. Four of the biggest names in gaming believe in 30 fps racers: Sony (DriveClub), Microsoft (Forza Horizon 2), EA (NFS), and Ubisoft (The Crew).

The good news is that the racing genre is big enough to support both 60fps and 30fps racers. So trying to argue only one style of racer should exist is faulty logic.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Because TV refresh rates work with multiples of 60. Anything that doesn't cleanly work with that will stutter/jutter.

math yo

1. More work, and they would need to test that whole process out. I say this all the time but after having a namco and valve friend be honest about things I've lightened up a bit. Devs barely have enough time now for content and other more important things performance is still something that doesn't get the attention it needs.

2. Things work betters in threes for frames for various reasons including timing.

it always choppy for reasons I stated or linked too, doesn't matter the title time will always make it choppy due my perception of motion and light. Killzone will feel choppy for the reasons devs themselves said it was choppy. Also lets not mention Cs:Go or cs on the subject of frames or tickrate plenty of articles out there actually touch upon why high fps or ticrate is good things for games. They also mention why you don't see it which is largely due to performance strain.You can use a controller for CS or most tactical kinds just had a great run in headshot only server with someone using a controller this morning.

Thanks. I have no idea about maths so I wouldn't ever have known otherwise!

ChawlieTheFair

I'm not at all disagreeing with that, but high-end visuals are also very good for games.
I also don't know what you mean by "They also mention why you don't see it which is largely due to performance strain."

a916

Bullshit. It was a compromise. If the hardware could do 60 they would.

Nope. You choose what you want, 30FPS and these visuals, or 60FPS with visuals a step below.

It's not rocket science... it's not as simple as "hardware can't do 60FPS lolwuttroll", it's a choice that a developer makes.

It's good to have 60fps racers. I certainly have enjoyed GT and Forza in the past and I'm looking forward to buying Project Cars come this Nov.

However, this doesn't change the fact that 30fps racers sell extremely well. Four of the biggest names in gaming believe in 30 fps racers: Sony (DriveClub), Microsoft (Forza Horizon 2), EA (NFS), and Ubisoft (The Crew).

The good news is that the racing genre is big enough to support both 60fps and 30fps racers. So trying to argue only style of racer should exist is faulty logic.

I don't get that argument of "I like it this way, everyone else should too, if you don't you're wrong and bad and/or lazy developers"

LCGeek

formerly sane
I'm not at all disagreeing with that, but high-end visuals are also very good for games.
I also don't know what you mean by "They also mention why you don't see it which is largely due to performance strain."

I've already discussed why 30fps is bad for that and will sum it up in two words "temporal resolution"

In regards to high fps and ticrate situations I was referring to fact that valve could run most of their well known games at a high ticrate, but they don't. CS:Go is 64, but CS:Source was 33 same for L4D. They don't require it because most people playing the games can't run it that well consistently.

People gloss over the fact games in terms of fps be it 30 or 60 don't actually run it that rate constantly or huge majority of the time.

I just see us on different sides of a balancing issues devs could deal with better, but as I mentioned some of these things aren't their decisions as much as they try to seem like it is.

The motion blur kind of looks like ass to me. You are seeing the video compression smooth it out quite a bit there.

It's better in the direct feed webms I knocked out a couple of weeks ago.

It's pretty much on par with the fantastic motion blur from PGR4/Horizon in my opinion and I never had a single issue with either of those games being 30fps. They were responsive, had a great sense of speed and generally two of the best racers released last gen.

Prototype

I'd rather have rock solid 30 fps instead of "60" fps that stutters and jumps around.

Waiting with bated breath for the game/demo to come out.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I've already discussed why 30fps is bad for that and will sum it up in two words "temporal resolution"

In regards to high fps and ticrate situations I was referring to fact that valve could run most of their well known games at a high ticrate, but they don't. CS:Go is 64, but CS:Source was 33 same for L4D. They don't require it because most people playing the games can't run it that well consistently.

People gloss over the fact games in terms of fps be it 30 or 60 don't actually run it that rate constantly or huge majority of the time.

I just see us on different sides of a balancing issues devs could deal with better, but as I mentioned some of these things aren't their decisions as much as they try to seem like it is.

Aside from Nintendo games (or recent ones). Not a single drop in some of them. Priorities man....

Top Bottom