• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub (Evolution Studios/PS4) announcement trailer. [PS3 WHEELS ARE SUPPORTED]

Dibbz

Why is everyone worried about the graphics? We already had screenshots released a while back and they looked great. E3 rolls around, no direct feed footage at all is released and people are panicking?

Mik_Pad

Banned
Why is everyone worried about the graphics? We already had screenshots released a while back and they looked great. E3 rolls around, no direct feed footage at all is released and people are panicking?
I'm glad Gamescom is around the corner.

I didn't see anything next gen in that footage. They made a huge mistake by showing that, it served no purpose. I hope the final game delivers. Looking foward to the Gamescom showing

I'm sorry but I just can't take anyone who says something like this, or that what we saw was vastly different from the reveal, seriously. I mean, you have to be REALLY clueless to say something like that.

Sure the setting/track/time of day might not be as appealing to you, that's fine, but tech wise? It's the exact same thing. The only thing that "might" be different is slightly better IQ. It was all quite clearly game assets running in-engine.

Reminder:
http://media.edge-online.com/wp-content/uploads/edgeonline/2013/02/photo-11.jpg
http://www.theaveragegamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Driveclub_E32013InCar.jpg

Why is everyone worried about the graphics?......people are panicking?

Because the oppositions flag ship racer Forza 5, looks a whole lot better than DC. If Sony wants people to buy a PS4 over Xboned, they need to trounce Forza 5 in the graphics department.

I don't know about lighting quality too much, I play a lot of PS3 and PC games and IMO most of the Sony exclusives look just as great even though they use "baked" lighting. I guess they wanted dynamic day and night cycles....

Because the oppositions flag ship racer Forza 5, looks a whole lot better than DC. If Sony wants people to buy a PS4 over Xboned, they need to trounce Forza 5 in the graphics department.

I don't know about lighting quality too much, I play a lot of PS3 and PC games and IMO most of the Sony exclusives look just as great even though they use "baked" lighting

Dunno about you, not everyone is a fan of flat lighting and eye damaging bloom. So yeah, I disagree, I think DC runs circles around Forza. At half the framerate, you kind of expect that anyway.

Mik_Pad

Banned

I don't know about lighting quality too much, I play a lot of PS3 and PC games and IMO most of the Sony exclusives look just as great even though they use "baked" lighting. I guess they wanted dynamic day and night cycles....
Wait until we see direct footage from both.

Have you played GT5? Compare Nurburgring 24h to the courses that have baked lighting. There's a huge difference in lighting quality. That's why DRIVECLUB is making the right decision by going real time.

Have you played GT5? Compare Nurburgring 24h to the courses that have baked lighting. There's a huge difference in lighting quality. That's why DRIVECLUB is making the right decision by going real time.

To me, it's not even about "right decision", as far as I'm concerned, for racing games here on out, it's the "only" decision. As people have mentioned, the fact that Forza 5 only really upped the resolution and poly count is absurd.

I'm sorry but I just can't take anyone who says something like this, or that what we saw was vastly different from the reveal, seriously. I mean, you have to be REALLY clueless to say something like that.

Sure the setting/track/time of day might not be as appealing to you, that's fine, but tech wise? It's the exact same thing. The only thing that "might" be different is slightly better IQ. It was all quite clearly game assets running in-engine.

Reminder:
http://www.theaveragegamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Driveclub_E32013InCar.jpg

I hope the final game looks like this
av7xp4.gif

nice dof on hands, probably using subtle dof in the foreground
asjagj.gif

izZWw9j6v7tvJ.gif

I hope they are able to implement high quality motion blur and dof into the gameplay. Because without those, the game looks very plain. I though the motion blur and dof were the best this game had going for it.

Are weather effects in or out?

Mik_Pad

Banned
This type of enhancements are more notable while actually playing the game so I expect a lot of people changing their minds about DC after playing it unless the driving mechanics or AI are gimped. I'm glad Sony decided for this title to have a PS+ version way more people will try it and give it a chance.

KOHIPEET

Reminder:

Wow, apart from different lighting scenarios, they're identical. And that was 35%?

No way!

By the way, thanks for those pictures, it put my hype levels for this game back into the sky.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

I just want to kill this graphics nonsense so we can start discussing the actual game. Then again, I'm sure the DC/Forza screenshot wars will extend well into the launch period.

nib95

Banned

Reminder:

The IQ was actually fine in the E3 demo, it just lacked finer details, especially on distant textures. Like the mountains in the background and the sea, just didn't look that detailed which is strange given that Motorstorm looks amaze on that front. Then again, 35% complete...

msprildrugo103za8.jpg

MSPR_DarkUsS88_27.jpg

84.jpg

msprildrugo87qz7.jpg

msprildrugo100kq7.jpg

MSPR__1.jpg

msprildrugo55wt3.jpg

The IQ was actually fine in the E3 demo, it just lacked finer details, especially on distant textures. Like the mountains in the background and the sea, just didn't look that detailed which is strange given that Motorstorm looks amaze on that front. Then again, 35% complete...

msprildrugo103za8.jpg

MSPR_DarkUsS88_27.jpg

84.jpg

msprildrugo87qz7.jpg

msprildrugo100kq7.jpg

MSPR__1.jpg

msprildrugo55wt3.jpg

game looks good and is fun to play! I like it a lot!

An example of what dynamic night to day transitions can bring. Watch all the way through.

This is the gold standard as far as I'm concerned.

GT5 Nurbergring - Day to Night to Day | 24hr condensed edit

yea I have seen it before, looks incredible! Hope driveclub's lighting is just as good!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
av7xp4.gif

asjagj.gif

izZWw9j6v7tvJ.gif

I hope they are able to implement high quality motion blur and dof into the gameplay. Because without those, the game looks very plain. I though the motion blur and dof were the best this game had going for it.

I agree about the motion blur and DoF. I want that level of both in all next gen games. ALL OF THEM.

[]http://abload.de/img/av7xp4.gif[/]
[]http://abload.de/img/asjagj.gif[/]
[]http://i.minus.com/izZWw9j6v7tvJ.gif[/]

And you praise Forza 5? rolleyes...

That DoF might just be a simple blur at fast speeds like we've seen in many games. I'm sure the game looks exactly like that first gif,

the bottom ones, it's why I want direct feed replay footage.

Dammit what :(

I thought weather was in. Well, maybe for DriveClub2. Least there's dynamic lighting and night/day transitions. But that is a shame.

yea I guess it would be difficult to make such a jam packed racer. Weather effects are beautiful to look at, but I guess the physics simulation must take a lot of time and since this a launch title....

I thought weather was in. Well, maybe for DriveClub2. Least there's dynamic lighting and night/day transitions. But that is a shame.

They've indicated that it's something that could be patched in at a later time. That doesn't mean it will be, but they've said that the game we're playing at launch won't be the game that we're playing a year from then.

I agree we should wait for DF footage, but I don't blame people for being disappointed in what was shown at e3. You can call off screen, but even people who were there said it was underwhelming. Evo/Sony can call 35 % till they're blue in the face, it doesn't change the fact that they showed the game too early and it was underwhelming.

That said, I'm taking evos relative silence on the issue as a good sign. Head down, crunch time. We wanna see the gifs we were initially shown, esp if we're getting a 30 frame rate (which lets be honest, is the most likely scenario)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
yea, those two are the best fucking post processing effects of all time! DO WANT IN ALL GAMES!
I agree. I'm also someone who is very sensitive to shifts in motion resolution so they're extra effective for me, especially motion blur. It's also why my 60Hz LCD drives me nuts.

It sounds like weather may be patched in or be present in DLC.

nib95

Banned
They've indicated that it's something that could be patched in at a later time. That doesn't mean it will be, but they've said that the game we're playing at launch won't be the game that we're playing a year from then.

That's cool. Possibly something they've already experimented with or tested then. Would love to race around the Indian Himalayan mountains during a Monsoon for example. Would be absolutely bonkers.

Think they said they were working on it but it probably won't make it in time for launch.

As of now they are out,I don't think they've confirmed that weather effects will be added in later.

Not confirmed, but it was hinted.

""This is actually a question that comes up quite a bit," said Evolution in an interview featuring Paul Rustchynsky, Alex Perkins and Col Rodgers. "Obviously, what we're currently focussed on is getting the game perfect and building a community around it first, but if there is a call for weather effects, nothing is currently off the cards at this point.""

Theecliff

Banned
I was blown away by the initial trailers and screen shots. Then I saw the gameplay at e3 and my hype instantly vaporized. It looked like a PS3 game to me, dynamic lighting be damned....

I don't think this can be repeated enough: The E3 build was 35% complete, and every piece of footage for it was taken off-screen. Considering the visual improvements the Motorstorm games made from their initial gameplay reveals to the release of the game (this was particularly true for the first game), I really wouldn't write the game's visuals off yet, especially when we haven't actually seen any proper in-game direct feed yet.

velociraptor

Reminder:

The top one looks much better.

I agree about the motion blur and DoF. I want that level of both in all next gen games. ALL OF THEM.

Ditto. The DOF and motion blur effects actually transform this average looking game to a very good looking one.

Sid

Think they said they were working on it but it probably won't make it in time for launch.

Not confirmed, but it was hinted.

""This is actually a question that comes up quite a bit," said Evolution in an interview featuring Paul Rustchynsky, Alex Perkins and Col Rodgers. "Obviously, what we're currently focussed on is getting the game perfect and building a community around it first, but if there is a call for weather effects, nothing is currently off the cards at this point.""
If they can add in weather even via DLC my GoTY purchase will be even more worth it.

I don't think this can be repeated enough: The E3 build was 35% complete, and every piece of footage for it was taken off-screen. Considering the visual improvements the Motorstorm games made from their initial gameplay reveals to the release of the game (this was particularly true for the first game), I really wouldn't write the game's visuals off yet, especially when we haven't actually seen any proper in-game direct feed yet.

yea you are right, but why show such a poor build?

Anyway when they say no weather effects, does that mean no fog either? The vistas in this game look stunning, it would be amazing to drive through a foggy mountainous valley with dynamic tod....

that would be totally next gen.

nib95

Banned
The top one looks much better.

Ditto. The DOF and motion blur effects actually transform this average looking game to a very good looking one.

Thirding the DOF effects. They just add that visual touch of class. Maybe only add them in during extreme acceleration or at high speeds or something, similar to NFS Shift.

Sid

Anyway when they say no weather effects, does that mean no fog either? The vistas in this game look stunning, it would be amazing to drive through a foggy mountainous valley with dynamic tod....

Dayum.

Theecliff

Banned

I actually don't know - maybe it was easier and quicker for them to create a demo using an older build instead of wasting dev time making a polished one
(I really don't know if it works like that)
? I do sort of wish they hadn't shown it like that just so we could have avoided quite a few people writing it off so early.

And yeah, that sound pretty cool! I actually quite like foggy weather in a lot of games, adds a certain sense of atmosphere to the world.

watchdog

But that's just one very specific case. There are still many other reasons why someone might pick a PS4 over an Xbox One despite the perceived difference in fidelity between two racing games. Price, for example, may be a very compelling reason for someone to pick one platform over another. Bottom line, Sony doesn't need to trounce Forza 5 in the graphics department to convince people to buy a PS4.

I can't help but feel like Evolution is once again trolling everyone. How many times have they been through this rodeo? Every single one of their games is doubted before release lol.

The top one looks smooth while the bottom one looks rough, the bottom is probably a bad quality off screen cap.

Both are screencaps of videos, incredibly compressed, and upscaled. Yet one is from direct feed and other is offcam, also one is more vibrant, and sharper, and it ain't the top one, and the other one blurry and muted.

But is the texturing better? Nope. Is the polycount better? Nope? Is the lighting better? Nope. Is the AA better? Hard to tell, but doesn't seem like it.

Top Bottom