• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub (Evolution Studios/PS4) announcement trailer. [PS3 WHEELS ARE SUPPORTED]

iXY8Y4EeJO9OQ.gif

B.O.O.M

Loving the look so far and thanks for that gif insane metal. Looks ace

I guess tomorrow we will get to see even better gifs with uncompressed video

Liamario

Banned
I have to admit that the environments look great and although I would prefer the game to run at 60fps, I'd be content with 30fps and some anti aliasing. But yeah, 60fps is the preference still and whatever sacrifices have to be made- gameplay is king.

LCfiner

So that's what passes for terrible aliasing?

I feel like I'm being trolled here. Didn't even notice it at first.

I’m definitely not trolling. Don’t know about the others but I doubt it.

But if you can’t even see it on a decent monitor, full screen then you either aren’t looking carefully or aliasing is just not something you’re sensitive to. it’s pretty noticeable. again, particularly with the road lines in turns and all the power lines and flagpoles.

If you happen to be watching it streaming to a TV and sitting further away, then it’s harder to catch

The lighting in the Aston MArtin vid is gorgeous. The aliasing is really noticeable though. The build is based on alpha code so I'm not too concerned.

Can't wait to see Blim's upload

So WHEN EXACTLY are we going to get a final word on this whole 60 FPS thing?

TGS is less than two months before launch. IF they don't confirm or deny 60 FPS there, when the hell are they going to answer this?

sunnz

Aliasing is there, the white road marks are the most noticeable ( and a little pop in I noticed too, the bright green trees were noticeable) but isn't enough to make the game look... bad.

BUT DAMN, the lighting is pretty damn incredible. When the driver when 3rd person, I my jaw dropped a little, pretty amazing visuals. It just looks so natural.
While the music does make it a little hard, you can still tell the car sounds pretty great too, nice vehicle sounds!

Still a youtube video and there does seem to be some noticeable compression.

Really want to see the Gamersyde upload, YouTube compression just kills videos of next-gen stuff. Game looked good when I played it at Gamestop Expo, although standing a few inches away from a 40 inch TV was not an ideal way to see the game.

Raymo

But if you can’t even see it on a decent monitor, full screen then you either aren’t looking carefully or aliasing is just not something you’re sensitive to. it’s pretty noticeable. again, particularly with the road lines in turns and all the power lines and flagpoles.

If you happen to be watching it streaming to a TV and sitting further away, then it’s harder to catch

Yeah, the aliasing is actually bothering me. Really need to see blim's video. But from what I can see right now, I say forget 60 fps and clean it up.

That's not something AA is going to fix but some texture filtering.

So that's what passes for terrible aliasing?

I feel like I'm being trolled here. Didn't even notice it at first.
Seriously? Look at the lines on the road - you'll be staring at them quite a bit. Its a racing game after all, and seeing the road in the distance clearly is extremely important.

I understand that AA is coming later, but those are some serious jaggies in this footage here. Its no small thing.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So WHEN EXACTLY are we going to get a final word on this whole 60 FPS thing?

TGS is less than two months before launch. IF they don't confirm or deny 60 FPS there, when the hell are they going to answer this?

I suspect when they're ready to say if they can do it or not. They are working to be a launch game. This isn't as easy as people think.

LCfiner

That's not something AA is going to fix but some texture filtering.

the issues I’m seeing - even if I’m not explaining them well - are definitely aliasing issues. It’s not a matter of a blurred road texture going into the distance (that’s not happening here. textures are great and filtered well). it’s a white road line looking like a staircase as you enter a turn.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Thanks Rushy & Blimblim. Looking forward to downloading that higher quality footage from Gamersyde. Why the hell don't we have more sites uploading higher bitrate footage is beyond me.

Can't you see all the shimmering and jaggies?

It's even visible in that gif posted above.

It really hurts the overall look of the game.

there are jaggies, just as any other game this gen will have.

looking at a gameplay video is different than playing the game. once velociraptor is playing the game, the white lines being jagged will be the least of his concerns.

"it really hurts the..." no it does not. EmptySpace urges velociraptor to stop exaggerating.

I suspect when they're ready to say if they can do it or not. They are working to be a launch game. This isn't as easy as people think.

Yeah, but dude come on!

If they are going to do 60FPS they would've needed to make up their minds by now.

So if they are doing it. they should go ahead and announce it already. IF they aren't then they should just come clean on that.

looking at a gameplay video is different than playing the game. once velociraptor is playing the game, the white lines being jagged will be the least of his concerns.
In a racing game, jaggies and visual noise matter quite a bit as those lines are your number one in-game reference. GT5 does a great job providing a crisp picture, at the cost of some tearing, but it makes a tremendous difference. Compare that to the Indy course in Forza 4 where the aliasing is so bad you won't see the turns until you're right on top of em because the lines blur together.

In a racing game, jaggies and visual noise matter quite a bit as those lines are your number one in-game reference. GT5 does a great job providing a crisp picture, at the cost of some tearing, but it makes a tremendous difference. Compare that to the Indy course in Forza 4 where the aliasing is so bad you won't see the turns until you're right on top of em because the lines blur together.

driveclub is already at 1080p which automatically reduces aliasing issues from last gen.

the higher the resolution, the less aa is needed. even then, jaggies are not going away any time soon. EmptySpace would not want applied aa at the cost of other resources that might be more crucial to the experience.

evolution can't just keep adding features and settings like a check in a checkbox. of course, EmptySpace wants evolution to push the game however they can, but there are limits to what evolution can do at this stage of the dev cycle, and the hardware itself.

'terrible' and 'hurts the game' are not phrases EmptySpace would use to describe the issues, because the jaggies in this game are nowhere close to what the other posters are trying to make them out to be.

RoKKeR

Lighting and track detail are great, aliasing is a bit worrisome. Hopefully they'll iron it out before release.

In the end, considering I'm getting a PS4 a bit further down the line, Driveclub is a game I'll probably never play, but I do hope it delivers for those looking for a racer on PS4. I'm a bigger fan of real-world tracks/semi-simulation, but was a huge fan of Horizon as well so hopefully there is some fun (and some eyecandy) to be had with this game.

Also the "how fast do you wanna go" song is pretty awesome.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I wouldn't worry about the lack of AA. The final version of Driveclub will have an AA solution. You usually add AA after you have optimized the rest of the graphics engine and know what frame budget you have left over for AA.

Maybe Rushy can chime in with a simple "we will have AA in the final product" to help put fears to rest. ;)
They probably already use FXAA, thus the complete mess on sub-pixel lines, like those on the road. They seriously need to ditch that already, them and Killlzone. I'm guessing road lines are rendered separate on top of normal road textures, so they should be able to apply some kind of supersampling just on the lines.

the higher the resolution, the less aa is needed. even then, jaggies are not going away any time soon. EmptySpace would not want applied aa at the cost of other resources that might be more crucial to the experience.
In this case my argument is that the clarity of the lines is crucial to the experience in a racing game. The curves in the distance represent the number one piece of information you use to make adjustments.

This isn't an issue of prettiness, its directly functional. So the noise I speak of in Forza's Indianapolis course has a direct effect on gameplay, ie, you miss the turns entirely. This is a lot more important then background environmental detail for instance.

And yes, aliasing needs to die in a car fire.

In this case my argument is that the clarity of the lines is crucial to the experience in a racing game. The curves in the distance represent the number one piece of information you use to make adjustments.

This isn't an issue of prettiness, its directly functional. So the noise I speak of in Forza's Indianapolis course has a direct effect on gameplay, ie, you miss the turns entirely. This is a lot more important then background environmental detail for instance.

those are lines in forza 4, not driveclub. no sense in comparing games from different gens, because there are more things to consider than just lack of aa.

camera positioning, lighting, texture filter, etc. can all affect nullpointer's literal perspective of the world.

and driveclub is running at a higher resolution.

LCfiner

two things I’m thinking as I see this back and forth about AA

1) it is not asking too much for games to have decent AA on these new machines. good IQ can make a big difference and we’ve already seen some impressive looking games with good IQ running on PS4 and Xbone. It’s not like a call for good AA is asking the impossible.

2) as already said several times, AA will very likely get added on near the end of development, when graphical effects get polished and finalized. We’re just commenting on the build being shown now, anyway

those are lines in forza 4, not driveclub. no sense in comparing games from different gens, because there are more things to consider than just lack of aa.
That was just an example of what I meant, to clarify - I wasn't comparing DriveClub to Forza directly. Just that the aliasing in this current video is pretty heinous for a driving game.

I expect them to fix it is all, as if it was to release in the form here that would be pretty horrible.

And yes, NullPointer hates jaggies. NullPointer also thinks we should expect more from next gen titles.

*beats chest and howls*

velociraptor

"it really hurts the..." no it does not. EmptySpace urges velociraptor to stop exaggerating.
That is your opinion.

I am used to playing my games at a good standard of image quality.

Right now the jaggies stick out like a sore thumb.

orioto

Good Art™
Yeah some of those gifs create aliasing by the way.

As for the vids, yeah i don't know. I want to be excited but i find it hard to be. Maybe i'm too used to this track now.

It seems to me that they choose weird light setting. It lacks eye candy, it's too subtle, lacks highlights... That's what makes everything seems "old gen" for people i think.

I've been hearing how "rough" this game was looking but after clicking on the links from the previous page I was pleasantly surprised. Granted, I'm no graphic whore, but I think driveclub's shortcomings have been greatly exaggerated. I look forward to trying the PS+ version.

Top Bottom