• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub INSANE new gameplay B-Roll footage (Nilgiri Hills, India)

ICPEE

I am definately picking up this game and a PS4 after i have completed my studies this year end. Im hoping by that time Evo will have released their first DLC pack. I'd love me some more content.

ymmv

Banned
Bit difficult to accurately gauge texture quality from a YouTube video….case in point.

HQ - IGN - YouTube

iFERVz8fRSdLD.png

A bit difficult? Youtube videos have such an insane amount of compression that it's impossible to use them for evaluating the IQ of videogames. And yet people continue to do so.

one thing this game really needs is more particle effects on the road ie. when the car is off the road i want to see gravel being scooped up. other than that it looks amazing

driver116

Want to know why people are surprised when they see previewers say Forza 5's visuals have merit compared to other games? Insincere, echo-chamber posts like this designed to mischaracterize the game. That's not to ignore obvious advantages in things like lighting and "scene" in Driveclub, but this is a garbage post.

Cherrypicking is the term you're looking for.

nib95

Banned
Audio? Not by a long shot.

Visuals - definitely.

The reason I said it, and you are free to disagree or provide evidence to the contrary, is because I feel DriveClub has nailed the overall sound of a racing better than any other of the big names.

I feel like the other racers such as Forza 5 and Shift for example, do individual vehicle sounds extremely well, but where DriveClub excels above them is more accurately mixing the sounds of the other race cars, along with all the ambient and tertiary racing sounds together, to better replicate the overall bellowing atmosphere and roar of a race itself, not just your race car, or the one or two closest to you.

I wonder why the previews aren't praising the graphics as much as they deserve to be praised.
Why is this Ryan dude allowed to write for a videogame magazine. He's obviously an Xbox fanboy and massively biased...
Is he even taken seriously by his coworkers?

TyrantII

A bit difficult? Youtube videos have such an insane amount of compression that it's impossible to use them for evaluating the IQ of videogames. And yet people continue to do so.

Your comment needs to be in gif format for me to make a decision

Loudninja

I wonder why the previews aren't praising the graphics as much as they deserve to be praised.
Why is this Ryan dude allowed to write for a videogame magazine. He's obviously an Xbox fanboy and massively biased...
Does not matter we can see it looks great for ourselves, and most of the previews said its fun to play,so that's the important thing here.

Hyunashi

I really want to hate this game for how long its taken but I have to admit that it really, really looks incredible. If there is a decent amount of single player stuff I might have a look at it, otherwise I hope it does well for Evolution.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Finally a racing game where the tracks have life.

Sprinklers.
Balloons.
3d crowds.
Leaves.
Flowers.
Smoke.
Cameras flashing.
Vegetation.
Etc.

Amazing. Bravo, Evolution.

eso76

I'd be cautious about believing Turn10's numbers on this front. They have been proven to grossly exaggerate numbers several times now. Most prominent example was their claim that F3's vehicle poly count was 400k. The reality was that during car selection they were 173k, and in actual gameplay they were 45k at the best LOD. Quite a difference….

400k polycount for fm3 menu and photo mode is accurate for interior + ext + wheels + rims
Same amount for fm4 (menu, photo mode, in game time trial)
Roughly the same amount for FM5 (menu, photo mode, in game time trial). Models are the same for the most part.

1m for autovista is also accurate.

Unfortunately, 45k for most in game modes is also correct for fm3, 4 AND 5.
Yup, FFM5 is still using the same low LODs as fm3 and 4 in game, just very slightly more detailed interiors.

But that's for a different thread.

I still don't really get PGR comparisons, but that's because PGR is all about city tracks and faithful recreation of some of the world's most beautiful cities to me.
Physics do look kinda similar, but I just can't take DC for PGR spiritual successor.

Precisely, racing on city streets in PGR just feels very different to any circuit or open road racer I've ever played. I think it's mostly because people are desperate for PGR's successor (who could blame them?), and Evolution has some senior ex-Bizarre staff working on the game.

Besides, I think those comparisons are doing Driveclub disservice, I think the game will be able to stand on its own.

Very curious to see how Forza Horizon 2 compares. I'm sure it's not using anything as exotic in terms of reflections and effects, but fm5 shaders and assets with Playground's lighting and IQ solutions could still be very sexy.

Absolutely, I'm expecting another drop dead gorgeous game in Horizon 2, although I doubt that the two are going to be directly comparable either. Horizon is an open world racer, and the sequel will probably have more rally racing elements from the get go. I'm really curious to see how that turns out, the first Horizon was one of my favorite last gen games, not only in the racing genre.

Human_me

I't looks amazing

However
I prefer open world racing games, like Need for Speed or The Crew.
Closed circuit games makes me feel limited.

Daaaaaamn... INSANE indeed.

I respect Ryan Mcafrey.. He's a cool guy.. But it's hard to understand the "mental" superiority of Forza over this.

ShamePain

Banned
The reason I said it, and you are free to disagree or provide evidence to the contrary, is because I feel DriveClub has nailed the overall sound of a racing better than any other of the big names.

I feel like the other racers such as Forza 5 and Shift for example, do individual vehicle sounds extremely well, but where DriveClub excels above them is more accurately mixing the sounds of the other race cars, along with all the ambient and tertiary racing sounds together, to better replicate the overall bellowing atmosphere and roar of a race itself, not just your race car, or the one or two closest to you.

I very much doubt you've played Forza 5 on a good surround sound setup if you say this.

Gestault

Months out from release, this seems like a very particular thesis you've constructed for Driveclub, and the audio mix and ambiance is basically why the sound design in some games is considered so impressive.

It's kinda sad actually...

They are 2 different games trying to do totally different things and the design choices made reflect that.

Forza is a pretty hardcore sim. Driveclub is supposed to be more of a visceral experience.

Also, one is 60 fps, the other isn't.
It's a silly comparison to make.
Obviously Forza 5 running at 60 fps will not look as good as Driveclub running at 30 fps.
The resources are distributed differently.

For my money, I'll take the game running at 60 fps. Those fps are precious for racing games.
Driveclub looks good, it's not going to sell me a PS4 but I'm sure the PS4 owners will enjoy it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Driveclub doesn't seem like PGR's spiritual successor at all. It very heavily takes influence from the franchise (point system, unique set of locales), but two big things that defined PGR is the eclectic choice of cars and abundance of city tracks first and foremost. Admittedly, I haven't been following Driveclub that closely, but the roster seems fairly uninspired, grabbing from the latest selection of supercars and some odds and ends. Seems to be a very heavy focus on countryside levels, routes and driving roads.

I'm still waiting for the real PGR5/spiritual successor. One of the few things that could get me to instabuy and X1 at the moment.

A bit? So baked lighting only looks a bit worse than a lighting model that runs a 24 hour cycle.........
That.. doesn't inherently mean it looks better. Probably more impressive, but not necessarily better.

Anyways, I put some doubt in my statement because most of what I've seen the game is compressed video and shitty GIFs which aren't good for those sorts of assessments.

bombshell

Rustchynsky confirmed in that IGN interview as well as india: Chile, Norway, the United Kingdom and Canada.

He misspoke then. It's been referred to as Scotland in every video of that location and Jamie Brayshaw (PhenomEvolution) said it was Scotland too in today's PlayStation Access video.

Tripolygon

Banned
People keep saying the sound is not impressive compared to other racers. Listen for yourself and compare but of course the environment affects the sound.

Real Ferrari F12 Berlinetta

Forza 5

Driveclub

Edit: Can't seem to find a decent audio of same car in PCars or Assetto Corsa

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
People keep saying the sound is not impressive compared to other racers. Listen for yourself and compare but of course the environment affects the sound.

Forza 5

Driveclub
They both sound pretty great. Can you hear the wind/environmental noises in chase view? Not sure if I'd want that, but it's neat I guess.

It's a Sony exclusive and the US media as a whole have already shown to be pro Xbox since last year with the MS debacle. They became embarassing at that point to me and I can't take anything they say seriously anymore unfortunately. The game looks really good though. Hope we get the footage uncompressed from BlimBlim. Youtube does this no justice.

Forza 5

Driveclub

Edit: Can't seem to find a decent audio of same car in PCars or Assetto Corsa

One thing I really hate about Forza is the stupid backfire thing on the exhaust. Always sounds the exact same on every single car. Idk it just feels weird to me.

nib95

Banned
400k polycount for fm3 menu and photo mode is accurate for interior + ext + wheels + rims
Same amount for fm4 (menu, photo mode, in game time trial)
Roughly the same amount for FM5 (menu, photo mode, in game time trial). Models are the same for the most part.

1m for autovista is also accurate.

Unfortunately, 45k for most in game modes is also correct for fm3, 4 AND 5.
Yup, FFM5 is still using the same low LODs as fm3 and 4 in game, just very slightly more detailed interiors.

But that's for a different thread.

I did not know that. That's quite interesting and highlights why insane poly counts are not necessarily crucial for high quality vehicle models, because if F5's look fantastic whether they're 45k poly's or not.

AU Tiger

Looks awesome! I really hope we can use wheel/pedal setups for this game.

have they given any more details on whether or not we can use like a G27 or Fanatec CSR setup with the game yet?

Here you can see the rear view mirror reflecting the scenery behind it. The rear view mirror, WITH ITS REFLECTION, are reflected in the side of the car.

Yep, two different techniques though. The mirrors (and other reflections of things off screen) are done earlier than the screen space reflections. You won't get any 'hall of mirrors' like effects.
It looks like the SSR doesn't get another pass for the transparent surfaces unfortunately, as it would look really nice to have wing mirrors reflected in the side windows.

Synth

inmvPfbkWtdBz.gif

That's the only decent one I could find in a very short/quick search on Google.

Hmmm just noticed something weird about that gif. When the car goes near the red/yellow warning track why does the right rear view mirror reflect it, and not the left one. haha
LOL nicely spotted. Probably just a case of them faking so many things in Forza.
I've seen other racing games do this so maybe it has something to do with how the reflections are generated

I'm pretty sure that it's actually reflecting the lines from the previous corner.

And what authority do you have on Driveclub's audio?

As much as nib95 has for claiming it sounds better? Maybe Driveclub will sound better on release when played through a good sound system. But going of the videos posted, it certainly doesn't seem like it at the moment.

Top Bottom