• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub INSANE new gameplay B-Roll footage (Nilgiri Hills, India)

Well, i have Forza 5 and play it on a regular basis. Aside from the Prague track which is nice because it's full of colors and life, Forza 5 doesn't look that nice in my opinion, flat crowd, trees, buildings, jaggies... but it's 60fps so it had to make sacrifices + on a weaker hardware.

With that said, Drive Club is the most beautiful racer i've ever seen judging by these videos and gifs. It's freakin incredible really and i'm rarely impressed by graphics these days. It's funny that Ryan from IGN is even comparing Forza to DC. Well for sure i haven't played the game yet but damn, those videos... and the game isn't even out yet... Can't wait to play this bad boy !

It's kinda sad actually...

They are 2 different games trying to do totally different things and the design choices made reflect that.

Forza is a pretty hardcore sim. Driveclub is supposed to be more of a visceral experience.

Well besides the more variety the better? The American Southwest is an extremely iconic region in the way of both driving and scenery.

If they weren't going to include the U.S., they should've went with something more exotic than Scotland.

Maybe a straight up jungle track in South America or something like that.

TyrantII

Don't know how AA works but if you compare old footage to now AA was bad on the cars which is now fixed AA on the environment like wires is not. Not completely bad but not as clean as the cars.

Edit - Beaten by HTupolev

There's been some discussion that the wires is a AA issue being caused by the lighting highlights and not the actual rendering & AA solution. The same issue crops up on the cars on hard edges where a highlight/reflection doesn't have enough pixle info to display correctly, and light pixles are over used.

ICPEE

Well Horizon is likely to be open world again, so not exactly a fair comparison. Also PG released FH in late 2012, and Evo released MS3 in early 2011, so DC had almost 2 more years in development. I think people are forgetting that DC looked like absolute garbage last year and if it had released as planned at PS4's launch, FM5 would completely destroy it. And the amount of content which is laughable even today would be even lower.
I believe the director of Evo stated they're going for quality, a "premium" feel for Driveclub. I would like to think that points to the obsessive detail for the environments and the cars. Hence the low car count. Again, this was a design choice on their part as was the 30fps frame rate.

Elios83

Obviously it looks amazing, the lighting feels really life-like now that they're implementing global illumination algorithms in real time.
Also the fact that previews have been really positive about the game itself, its driving model and social features gives me confidence about the delay being worth it.

Honestly, I watched it and wasn't that blown away. Looks pretty good though, some textures look kind of muddy, maybe my expectations were too high with all the hype in the thread.

SDCowboy

If they weren't going to include the U.S., they should've went with something more exotic than Scotland.

Maybe a straight up jungle track in South America or something like that.

The Scotland course sounds pretty awesome to me. As do all the courses listed. A jungle course would be pretty amazing though if done right. lol

nib95

Banned
Honestly, I watched it and wasn't that blown away. Looks pretty good though, some textures look kind of muddy, maybe my expectations were too high with all the hype in the thread.

Bit difficult to accurately gauge texture quality from a YouTube video….case in point.

HQ - IGN - YouTube

iFERVz8fRSdLD.png

Looks gorgeous! Really glad they delayed and took their time to fix the issues. This is the only racing game I can recall where ingame really looks amazing and detailed.

And these are just shitty ass compressed yt vids (see a lot of compression). Can't wait for direct 1080p vids.

The photo thread will be amazing when this comes.

I might buy a PS4 just for this game when this game comes out.

No other game on the PS4 appeals to me at all, and I can't think of any other game in the future that will either.

It'll be like my 3ds, for which I only have 1 game for and I won't get any other.

Kura

Banned
I'm starting to feel a little worried because noone actually mentions it.

¿I'm the only one who sees the IQ too blurred? I think they abused to much from the AA solution, it would be cool to have some more sharpnees here = (

PD And I'm not talking about YT compression. I can see it also on Gamersyde 'uncompressed' footage.

This is the correct answer in this thread. Driveclub IS PGR's spiritual successor. It even has former Bizarre staff (higher-ups I believe) on board and huge PGR fanboys are directing and designing it.

Yep! Damn I'm hyped for this. Looks absolutely STUNNING from what I've seen, and the closest thing to PGR in a long time.

I did not know that about the staff, now I'm even more confident.

Corto

Very good video. Beautiful.

edit: Sorry the random question, but I'm a bit out of the loop. Will it have urban circuits?

nib95

Banned
I take back what I said about the textures then. I knew Youtube compresses the video just not that much.

Yea, it's crazy that certain publishers even use the site to exclusively advertise their games with certain trailers. Mass viewership sure, but the quality is absolutely abysmal. YouTube 1080p videos are usually considerably worse than even a high quality 720p bitrate video.

ShamePain

Banned
I believe the director of Evo stated they're going for quality, a "premium" feel for Driveclub. I would like to think that points to the obsessive detail for the environments and the cars. Hence the low car count. Again, this was a design choice on their part as was the 30fps frame rate.

Well Forza 5's cars don't look any worse and actually have more polygons if the interviews are correct. Evo said DC cars are made of 250k polygons, while Forza's are a million and above. Because they had to rework the materials and add detail T10 dropped a lot of cars from FM4 which after all DLCs had something like 600+ cars.

Daffy Duck

I just hope it has a similar quality of engine noise to Forza 5. That game nails engine sounds, the LaFerrari sounds like god shouting in my ears when I use my Astro's.

drotahorror

Visually probably yes, sound wise it has nothing on Forza 5 and a bunch of other racers. Not even taking into account a huge gap in the amount of cars between DC and FM5.

What's that have to do with visuals and sound?

Anyways, game looks GREAT, love these past 2 videos they've put out, this one and the Canada one. I'm still in shock over those reflections. So good. We need this game NOW! Evolution made my favorite arcade racing series of all time (MotorStorm) I hope Driveclub is atleast on par with those in terms of fun. Also, I can't wait for the next MotorStorm or better yet BoatStorm, JetStorm, etc.

cfe1e187cd5703d9d1513ae24937b4839e3a7f1c97972667f576b79a1b2874a6.jpg

If you do a graphics / price table then DC will win, obviously, but there is almost no ceiling on how beautiful you can get on ProjectCars on the PC. It will come with a price, obviously, but one that I would gladly pay.

Even if you get top of line hardware it's not going matter if the engine not doing certain things .
PC cars look great but it's lighting engine is no match for DC IMO.

ICPEE

Well Forza 5's cars don't look any worse and actually have more polygons if the interviews are correct. Evo said DC cars are made of 250k polygons, while Forza's are a million and above. Because they had to rework the materials and add detail T10 dropped a lot of cars from FM4 which after all DLCs had something like 600+ cars.
I'm sorry, i'm not going to go into a Forza/DC talk now. We have had enough of that in these Driveclub threads. It would be nice if people can stay a bit on topic.

Btw, i'm pretty sure the million+ polycount in Forza 5 is for the Autovista models and not the in-game racing models.

nib95

Banned

I'd be cautious about believing Turn10's numbers on this front. They have been proven to grossly exaggerate numbers several times now. Most prominent example was their claim that F3's vehicle poly count was 400k. The reality was that during car selection they were 173k, and in actual gameplay they were 45k at the best LOD. Quite a difference….

I'm not sure that that million number is accurate for gameplay. It's likely that number is for the garage only. But I may be mistaken.

Well besides the more variety the better? The American Southwest is an extremely iconic region in the way of both driving and scenery.

As a scandinavian, I would love some american southwest in this game.

I know it's been done a million times, but the nature there is pretty unique and beautifully simple. I'd love to see it rendered in Driveclub.

Not as impressive as you guys make out, perhaps it is just because of the fact that this is the first big racer on PS4 so you guys are getting all excited. The cars look very nice but the environments look very fake still something just off about them. Maybe I just expected more from the new gen, but I have yet to see anything I have been truly blown away by (with the exception of the division, but we all know that was BS and is never going to look like that).

ShamePain

Banned
What's that have to do with visuals and sound?

Anyways, game looks GREAT, love these past 2 videos they've put out, this one and the Canada one. I'm still in shock over those reflections. So good. We need this game NOW! Evolution made my favorite arcade racing series of all time (MotorStorm) I hope Driveclub is atleast on par with those in terms of fun. Also, I can't wait for the next MotorStorm or better yet BoatStorm, JetStorm, etc.

The more cars a game has the more individual samples have to be recorded. Forza also features upgrades which also affect the sounds of cars. There's many things like that, you can argue about many things but when it comes to sound design pretty much nobody competes with T10 in the console space. Nick Wiswell and Co do a superb job and I recommend Forza 5 to anyone with a decent sound system. Forza is pretty much Battlefield of racing games in terms of sound design.

It really does look insanely gorgeous, it seems that Evolution have spent their time well.

I haven't had the time to look at all the new footage yet, did we get any direct feed gameplay videos with the hud today?

eso76

This is the correct answer in this thread. Driveclub IS PGR's spiritual successor. It even has former Bizarre staff (higher-ups I believe) on board and huge PGR fanboys are directing and designing it.

I still don't really get PGR comparisons, but that's because PGR is all about city tracks and faithful recreation of some of the world's most beautiful cities to me.
Physics do look kinda similar, but I just can't take DC for PGR spiritual successor.

Very curious to see how Forza Horizon 2 compares. I'm sure it's not using anything as exotic in terms of reflections and effects, but fm5 shaders and assets with Playground's lighting and IQ solutions could still be very sexy.

This. There's a lot of passionate people at Evolution, guys from ex-devs that have the passion and experience to create great racing games. I'm a huge fan of Evolution since the Motorstorm series, Pacific Rift is one of my top 5 arcade racers of all time, it's that good !

Top Bottom