• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub INSANE new gameplay B-Roll footage (Nilgiri Hills, India)

jaosobno

I kinda feel like Forza 5 looks a bit better too.

bunk-the-wire.gif

ref

Want to know why people are surprised when they see previewers say Forza 5's visuals have merit compared to other games? Insincere, echo-chamber posts like this designed to mischaracterize the game. That's not to ignore obvious advantages in things like lighting and "scene" in Driveclub, but this is a garbage post.

Having played Forza 5, I can say with certainty those screenshots are indicative of the visual quality of the game... the backgrounds may not be the most flattering, I agree, but the quality of the environments is very much indicative.

To be fair though, they are absolutely better looking backdrops. There are not a lot of uncompressed screenshots here on GAF I could find quickly, I just remembered those from the preview thread/console screenshot thread.

No anti-aliasing
Average textures in game (Photomode uses higher resolution textures)
Lack of AF
Average to poor looking environment detail (trees, etc)

It's not fair to compare DriveClub to Forza really, Forza is 60 fps and had to make sacrifices.

Jomjom

Banned
(taken from preview thread)

Forza visually isn't really comparable aside from the car models. They had to make tons of sacrifices visually to get 60 fps. Forza looks fine in motion, but once you get still, you can really see how meh it really looks.

Hmmm... yeah that definitely doesn't look comparable visually. I think maybe my memory is bad like Ryan's and maybe it looks better in motion in 60fps.

Vire

it's already one of the best looking console games ever made, just jesus christ @ the detail

absurd detail. just obscene detail

I kinda just want Evo to make an open world RPG now, could you imagine environments in a game like Skyrim looking like this?

Why would you use gifs as a basis for visual comparisons anyway? Don't they compress and artifact the hell out of whatever it is you're trying to look at?

Amir0x

Banned
Agreed, I keep watching it and...that detail...

I still can't believe Ryan said in his "mental comparison" Forza has the edge. I mean, I prefer playing 60fps racers of course, and it is a mark against the visual presentation of DriveClub, but my god did Evolution ever make up for it every where else in the engine. Essentially every single other aspect of the visual presentation massacres what Forza was doing. It's so far ahead of it it's almost comical to compare. They are doing effects that literally no other racing game has ever attempted.

ref

Please, those images have been used to death.
Don't turn another Driveclub thread into VS thread.
Let's talk about Driveclub ok? Oh, I forget about the first rule and the second one.

Turn it into a VS thread? I simply responded to a post asking for some screenshots to compare. Those are in-game screenshots from Forza 5, overused or not. I've only seen those screenshots posted twice, first time in the console screenshot thread originally (which was a long time ago) and today in the preview thread.

As I've said though, I don't think it's fair to compare the two, they are completely different styles of racers with different goals.

On another note, I can't stop looking at the .gifs, they look great. I'm going to be purchasing a wheel just for this game. I really haven't been this excited for a racing title ever.

Is there any information about how different the enviroments within each country might be, will Canada all be tree lined mountains, or Chile dusty desert highways?

Jomjom

Banned
inmvPfbkWtdBz.gif

That's the only decent one I could find in a very short/quick search on Google.

Hmmm just noticed something weird about that gif. When the car goes near the red/yellow warning track why does the right rear view mirror reflect it, and not the left one. haha

Raist

Banned
Why would you use gifs as a basis for visual comparisons anyway? Don't they compress and artifact the hell out of whatever it is you're trying to look at?

Does it matter? Unless this somehow only magically applies to one game but not the other.

I still can't believe Ryan said in his "mental comparison" Forza has the edge. I mean, I prefer playing 60fps racers of course, and it is a mark against the visual presentation of DriveClub, but my god did Evolution ever make up for it every where else in the engine. Essentially every single other aspect of the visual presentation massacres what Forza was doing. It's so far ahead of it it's almost comical to compare. They are doing effects that literally no other racing game has ever attempted.

You could almost say his memory was clouded, no?

Vol5

There is absolutely AA in the game. Just because there is some aliasing on powerlines and sharp edges at night in certain lighting doesn't mean the game has no AA. It would be glaringly obvious if it had none at all.

So what...they applied AA to the cars but not the powerlines? AA is either present or not.

bombshell

Hmmm just noticed something weird about that gif. When the car goes near the red/yellow warning track why does the right rear view mirror reflect it, and not the left one. haha

LOL nicely spotted. Probably just a case of them faking so many things in Forza.

HTupolev

So what...they applied AA to the cars but not the powerlines? AA is either present or not.
It's entirely possible for an AA solution to work fine on large, wide objects like cars, but not help much with undersampling on very thin objects.

Actually, that's pretty much the norm for post-process techniques.

Gestault

Are we really diving into vs thread territory? I mean that as a real question. I know Opus made some good Forza gifs from a little while back, and since I've been putting out so many for Driveclub, I sort of feel like there should be some balance if we are.

Top Bottom