• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

nib95

Banned
And what you see is a floating car. It floats.... It can't be unseen. Pre-order re-pre-canceled re-pre-ordered!

Except it doesn't float…..It's there making contact with the road, just without a regular shadow being distinctly visible below it, and when you shift angles and positioning on the road, or the sun does thanks to the dynamic global illumination, you will see a realistic and accurate shift in lighting and shadowing around or underneath your vehicle to match.

nhvMnix.jpg

So this just got released.

Won't buy it, though until after I try it with PS+, though. General

UK?

If yes, where? I must know.

Just because something is physically accurate doesn't mean it's pleasing to an eye. These things should be avoided (and are avoided) in art (paintings, illustration, movies, etc). That's number one rule of any art form. Someone in your art department should have picked up on this. Just saying... The devil is in the detail.
On the other side, can't wait for this game :p
DRIVELCLUB: Concern Edition.

Hoje0308

Banned
Just because something is physically accurate doesn't mean it's pleasing to an eye. These things should be avoided (and are avoided) in art (paintings, illustration, movies, etc). That's number one rule of any art form. Someone in your art department should have picked up on this. Just saying... The devil is in the detail.

So now DRIVECLUB is too realistic? I'm glad you're looking forward to the game, but everything else you said is bullshit. It's not a styled game and is meant to replicate reality as honestly as possible (within reason). To say that Evo should alter an objective reality for your subjective interpretation of how you feel the world should look is beyond the pale.

In case you didn't know, the dynamic weather patch is coming day one !

I was on twitch to see a stream from Micromania french and the guys said that Evo studio told him that the patch will be available at the day of the release.

Rushy has repeatedly stated otherwise. The odds are your source is mistaken (or lying).

EGOMON

10154896_786012764796730_6349322446086762167_n.jpg

Gaf why u hate on Driveclub?!
lol some of the stuff this idiot saying makes believe he/she is a lurker here either got banned or can't register

BTW this stream is going right now

viveks86

This is beyond hilarious. Thanks for the laughs!

Hoje0308

Banned
You like magic floating cars? Good for you.

And you like defining natural phenomena as magic and insist that a car is floating when we know for a fact that it is not. Good for you, smarty pants.

This is beyond hilarious. Thanks for the laughs!

I really wish that NeoGAF shit posts Twitter account was still active. I feel like d9b could have been a contender.

Jimrpg

Man the retail version is so expensive it's hard to justify

US $59.99 on playasia
EU US$89.95 on playasia
EU 48.95 pounds on zavvi

Add $10 for express shipping too.

Compared to $56.95 for the upgrade on AU PSN store and $49.95 on the US Psn store....

Might have to go digital for this one, disappointed but at least I will be able to play day one.

Im pretty sure art is not required to be pleasing to the eye as that rule itself is a subjective measure. If the art style strives for realism then why would they ignore reality?

10154896_786012764796730_6349322446086762167_n.jpg

Gaf why u hate on Driveclub?!
lol some of the stuff this idiot saying makes believe he/she is a lurker here either got banned or can't register

BTW this stream is going right now

wish they would just get rid of open chat boxes to be honest. I have never once entered a single stream with an open chat box that had a worthwhile conversation going. It is like medieval times during a beheading or something and the crowd just screams random shit as loud as possible

wish they would just get rid of open chat boxes to be honest. I have never once entered a single stream with an open chat box that had a worthwhile conversation going. It is like medieval times during a beheading or something and the crowd just screams as loud as possible random shit.

Take your top off!

Someone, anyone, eveyrone, give me a reason not to upgrade my G27 to a T500RS... I don't need to make this purchase, but I am on the verge... must resist. Watching that damn Gamersyde Norway hillclimb video this morning has really made me want FFB with Driveclub.

nib95

Banned
Someone, anyone, eveyrone, give me a reason not to upgrade my G27 to a T500RS... I don't need to make this purchase, but I am on the verge... must resist.

I'm in the same boat, but G25 instead. Thing is I just decked out a new games room and bought a second PS4. I'm not sure I could sell this new wheel purchase to my wife lol.

Jobbs

Banned
I feel like all I know about the game is that it's a racing game and it's beautiful.

are there any particular features to know about in the game beyond "it's gorgeous"? is it juts really vanilla other than that?

d9b

Banned
And you like defining natural phenomena as magic and insist that a car is floating when we know for a fact that it is not. Good for you, smarty pants.

I really wish that NeoGAF shit posts Twitter account was still active. I feel like d9b could have been a contender.
It's an optical illusion. The problem is not the reality, the problem is how your eyes sometimes interpret and see reality in certain conditions /camera angles. These things are usually avoided by following advice from experienced art guys/girls in movies/games/etc industry.

What... in the world is this post about?

So let me get this straight... Rushy and the rest of EVO has stated many many times they want to get the lighting as realistic as possible and have never hinted that they will manipulate it to make it less realistic... and you are dinging them because the realism is not pleasing to your eyes yet they achieved their goal?

So your complaint is if I am getting this correct: The lighting is too realistic?
Holy shit people... we have arrived at new levels of crazy criticism

Raist

Banned
I have to admit that it took me a while to get used to this, but it is entirely physically accurate - we don't use fake shadows or mask sunlight by ambient occlusion, which often hides this 'effect'.

Under strong lighting conditions and from the right angle there won't be a shadow visible beneath the car. To show this I took a car out into the Evo car park, parked it so the sun was from directly behind and held a camera up in the air at similar angle to the chase camera.

Nothing is faked or baked in this image either ;) Number plates have been obviously obscured though.

floatingCar.jpg

Nice try mate, but everyone knows it can't be that sunny in the UK, especially this time of the year. This is obviously shopped. Or a pic made with DC's engine.

You've lost me

Slair

It's an optical illusion. The problem is not the reality, the problem is how your eyes sometimes interpret and see reality in certain conditions /camera angles. These things are usually avoided by following advice from experienced art guys/girls in movies/games/etc industry.

Can't agree more, i always leave the house with strict advice from my art team on how i should look at the world to avoid these exact conditions. No floating objects for me, no sir.

Hoje0308

Banned

Once again, Evo went for realism. You're asking them to alter a fact of the real world because you can't get over it. You then resort to tacit insult by referring to the people that don't do this as "experienced." You don't have an argument and now you just sound like an asshole. Good job.

Can't agree more, i always leave the house with strict advice from my art team on how i should look at the world to avoid these exact conditions. No floating objects for me, no sir.

Seriously, his argument boils down to, "That also happens in real life, therefore you should alter it. Because art."

BuddyL33

Neo Member
With myself already enjoying the hell out of FM5 and FH2 on the XBONE, now this comes out and looks like a blast on the PS side of the fence, is there a wheel that will work on both systems?

It's TOO REAL!

Gestault

You've lost me

You guys are having the same conversation that surrounded the Realism/Naturalism movement in classical art. That's awesome, but you probably won't progress beyond better describing why you prefer accuracy or the importance of human agency in artistic representations.

viveks86

Guys, late last night we started building a PSN friend list for all players. Doesn't matter if you are from GAF to not or if you plan to buy the full version or not. If you are going to play this game and are looking for others to play with/against, send a friend request to

PSN: DRIVECLUB-GAF

You guys are having the same conversation that surrounded the Realism/Naturalism movement in classical art. That's awesome, but you probably won't progress beyond better describing why you prefer accuracy or the importance of human agency in artistic representations.

Exactly. Too funny. Felt like we had travelled back in time! :D

Preorder cancelled due to realistic lack of shadow from a certain angle at a certain time of day. Evolution you need to step up your game if you're going to play with the big boys.

Edit: also textures are low and flat like PS2 graphic

Upinsmoke

This isn't meant to be disrespectful right, infact its high praise. But seeing these gifs, from behind the car (even though i prefer cockpit cam), it reminds me of when i first started playing toca, the view from behind that renault laguna, i'd never seen something so amazing.

Hoje0308

Banned

Is that what we're arguing? Because I thought it was about respecting Evo's decision to go the route of accuracy. Asking them to make certain concessions just begs for an inconsistent presentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom