• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kane1345

In case you didn't know, the dynamic weather patch is coming day one !

I was on twitch to see a stream from Micromania french and the guys said that Evo studio told him that the patch will be available at the day of the release.

I really hope that's true but I'm gonna wait for official confirmation before going crazy with excitement :)

benzy

I was on twitch to see a stream from Micromania french and the guys said that Evo studio told him that the patch will be available at the day of the release.

whitney_receipts.gif

watchdog

These videos and gifs look stunning. The only thing I am concerned about is whether or not the game is fun to play. I guess we'll know soon enough.

bombshell

They have said info (time of release) about the patch will be available on release day, not the weather patch itself.

Jimrpg

Hope someone can answer my question.

Does it matter what region you buy the retail Driveclub?

I want to buy US retail Driveclub from play-asia and then play it on my AU PS Plus account. Is that ok? And also to buy DLC using the AU Store from too.

bombshell

Hope someone can answer my question.

Does it matter what region you buy the retail Driveclub?

I want to buy US retail Driveclub from play-asia and then play it on my AU PS Plus account. Is that ok? And also to buy DLC using the AU Store from too.

Games are region free, but you need to buy DLC from the same regional store as the game.

Yeah the IGN beyond crew (Greg and Collin) seem really down on this game. Although to be fair neither is a racing fan. Good thing neither one of the two will be reviewing the game. Instead some one from Australia will be doing it, who is supposedly a racing fan.

However CheapyD has had high praise for drive club and he is a big time racing fan. And he loves Forza. So it's totally unbiased.

Either way can't wait for this game. I've bought all four motor storm games and loved all of them so I'm expecting this one will be no different.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Oh well, cancelled my T300 £250 order with Amazon UK and gone with the T500 on Amazon ES, £40 more, can't complain. Hopefully it will arrive before the 10th!
[/IMG]

tempted for the better pedals but going to stick with the 300 for now. Anyone know if you can use things like the basherboards T500 brake pedal mod on the T300?

Mullah88

I have to admit that it took me a while to get used to this, but it is entirely physically accurate - we don't use fake shadows or mask sunlight by ambient occlusion, which often hides this 'effect'.

Under strong lighting conditions and from the right angle there won't be a shadow visible beneath the car. To show this I took a car out into the Evo car park, parked it so the sun was from directly behind and held a camera up in the air at similar angle to the chase camera.

Nothing is faked or baked in this image either ;) Number plates have been obviously obscured though.

floatingCar.jpg
Lack of AF in real life...re-preordered!

Rushy can you confirm?

:D

I was hoping that's the reason the review embargo runs late. I was worried most review sites wouldn't revisit after the weather patch, and that would be a shame because it appears to alter the gameplay hugely, never mind the glorious visuals.

I just wanna say, I've been a little negative on the game , but after watching gamersyde.com mp4 videos, the game stomps every other Nextgen game graphically. the streaming version makes the game look horrible in comparison.

tmac456

99% sure i'm pre-ordering this on PSN this weekend for the pre-load

got a $10 credit plus it's $10 off for ps+ too good to pass up

d9b

Banned
I have to admit that it took me a while to get used to this, but it is entirely physically accurate - we don't use fake shadows or mask sunlight by ambient occlusion, which often hides this 'effect'.

Under strong lighting conditions and from the right angle there won't be a shadow visible beneath the car. To show this I took a car out into the Evo car park, parked it so the sun was from directly behind and held a camera up in the air at similar angle to the chase camera.

Nothing is faked or baked in this image either ;) Number plates have been obviously obscured though.

floatingCar.jpg
Just because something is physically accurate doesn't mean it's pleasing to an eye. These things should be avoided (and are avoided) in art (paintings, illustration, movies, etc). That's number one rule of any art form. Someone in your art department should have picked up on this. Just saying... The devil is in the detail.
On the other side, can't wait for this game :p

jayu26

floatingCar.jpg
It's sad you had to do this...

driver116

Just because something is physically accurate doesn't mean it's pleasing to an eye. These things should be avoided (and are avoided) in art (paintings, illustration, movies, etc). That's number one rule of any art form. Someone in your art department should have picked up on this. Just saying... The devil is in the detail.

But he said they didn't want to fake any of the lighting.

iFootball

Maybe...It's pleasing to the mind?

My eye is not displeased.

#TEAMREAL

nib95

Banned

Lol, no. The point of Driveclubs graphics engine is to be as realistic and accurate as possible, and accurate lighting and volumetrics come under that banner. The art so to speak is in the trackside design and details, along with the vehicles themselves. The placement of mountains, tree's,foliage, rocks, surfaces, flocks of birds, water sprinklers, confetti, textures, colours and all the rest.

Regarding the lighting engine, what you see is what you would roughly get were you to experience these tracks in real life. Driveclub is successful in that regard, as it is the closest thing to photo realistic graphics in a racing game we've had yet, despite still being some way off in any case.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

"The one thing I don't like about Driveclub's graphics is that its almost too good."

You like magic floating cars? Good for you.

You are complaining that they shouldn't have mimicked real life shadow effects.

It is a pretty funny debate.

That's a problem with not trying to cheat your lighting isnt it? Sometimes real time conditions just fucks it up.

I don't mind, really. The pros of going full on GI is much higher than these problems that happens once in a while.

You like magic floating cars? Good for you.

Dude, just go into hood view mode whenever the sun position is in this specific spot causing this specific visual issue. then hey, you could see the shadows underneath the cars in front of you and the world would be right again

and whats magic about it? Guess what, even with the sun in this specific spot you will see shadows again the moment the car turns left or right.

Is there anything NOT being nitpicked about this game yet? Holy shit.

Putty

I've had a hunch for a few weeks now that the day one patch will infact be the weather and photo mode update!

What a glorious day it would be!

Were you educated in the Academies of late 18th century Paris?

Modernism happened and we're allowed to paint what we see.

Putty

I'm not holding my breath, but this would be such a good move.

Im just thinking of how much weather footage we've seen, and i think we've seen a fair whack...8) Still 2 months or so till "officiall update? I'm going to say........................DAY ONE UPDATE!

Handy Fake

Im just thinking of how much weather footage we've seen, and i think we've seen a fair whack...8) Still 2 months or so till "officiall update? I'm going to say........................DAY ONE UPDATE!

The thing that will make my loins explode will probably be watching a storm brewing... And THEN it just breaking overhead. I'd blow my beans with the force of a thousand suns.

Rymuth

nhvMnix.jpg

So this just got released.

Won't buy it, though until after I try it with PS+, though. Saw lots of people going home with a copy and a grin on their face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom