• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Just gonna leave this here

yaqakv.gif

2Ciwo6S.gif

rich7sena

Banned
Jesting aside, I fully expect IGN and other major ones to hammer it.

Good thing I don't put any stock in racing game reviews whatsoever.

I think the game is going to be amazing, and will keep me busy for a long time.

I believe there will be some validity to the potential negative reviews, though. As a fan of racing games, it seems as though--early on, at least--that Xbox is the console to be on when it comes to racing games.

I don't think Evo make some strange decisions which will reflect negatively on the game in the end. Things like not letting players customize their Crew's livery (something that Forza has allowed players to do from the beginning) or even install cosmetic upgrades to the cars (something like Midnight Club) is baffling to me. Even the implementations of corner penalties and reset timers go against the culture introduced in the motor storm series (why so serious?).

Believe me, as a PS4 owner, I'm rooting for this game to do well and I hope I enjoy the PS+ version enough to go all in. I'm just leaning the wrong way on the fence right now.

rich7sena

Banned
The invisible walls seem kind of restrictive. You can't even go a foot off the track without bumping off of them.

I would have loved to see some risk/reward shortcuts through these awesome looking environments. I would even introduce a nice Motorstorm-like balance between road cars and those better fit going off road.

bchamba

I believe there will be some validity to the potential negative reviews, though. As a fan of racing games, it seems as though--early on, at least--that Xbox is the console to be on when it comes to racing games.

I don't think Evo make some strange decisions which will reflect negatively on the game in the end. Things like not letting players customize their Crew's livery (something that Forza has allowed players to do from the beginning) or even install cosmetic upgrades to the cars (something like Midnight Club) is baffling to me. Even the implementations of corner penalties and reset timers go against the culture introduced in the motor storm series (why so serious?).

Believe me, as a PS4 owner, I'm rooting for this game to do well and I hope I enjoy the PS+ version enough to go all in. I'm just leaning the wrong way on the fence right now.

Sounds like you just want Forza

Jamesways

I think time will change that though. Right now you've got NFS:Rivals and MotoGP 14. But once DC, pCARS, and The Crew land, the ps4 will have some solid racers. Who knows when GT7 will eventually come out.

I've been excited about this since I first saw the reveal trailers. For me, it's going to hit that PGR/NFS: Shift sweet spot of just pure racing fun. Love some sims too, but simcade type games are so much fun to keep coming back to.

I didn't want to do the ps+ upgrade discount, Rushy and Evolution have earned my extra 10 bucks on a physical copy. And the money for the season pass, and ANY DLC they'll offer after that even.

I might even get a steelcase edition imported at some point. I don't play/keep many games, but with racing titles, I'll support the devs as much as possible.

If we are taking review average bets. Then I will be going with 8's.

8 is safe for reviewers. It's not too high or too low to be accused of being paid off/fanboy/baiting.

Actualy, I'm going with 7's. But don't tell anyone.

Late Flag

I would have loved to see some risk/reward shortcuts through these awesome looking environments. I would even introduce a nice Motorstorm-like balance between road cars and those better fit going off road.

I'd like a new Motorstorm too, but that's not the game that Evo chose to make. Driveclub looks great on its own terms.

Jobbs

Banned
I was thinking about driveclub, and I've been playing some forza horizon 2, and I used to play a lot of NFS Rivals...

and all these games are 30 fps, and all of them suffer for it.

I don't understand why 60 fps isn't a priority in racing games. This is one of the genres that needs it most!

lvZS2ou.png

Driveclub is as fun as doing taxes confirmed.

Put that on the back of the box.
And just like that, thousands of CPAs and tax accountants rushed out to buy PS4s. The IRS just put in an order for thousands of copies of #DC for their employees. Intuit to buy all remaining physical stock. GOAT.

rich7sena

Banned
What do you think they missed to put in? That directly affects the races?

I think--these days at least--that racing games are more than an on the track experience. Even this thread is pretty much about waxing poetic about the games' visuals. I would have liked to see the type of customization we see in Forza. I know it was mentioned that the developer wanted to avoid obscene designs, but is that really a problem in Forza (I've never encountered it)? And, if it is, surely there's a good way to find and discipline those designs.

I am also disappointed at how disconnected the player is from the stunning looking environments. the reset timer should be done away with or made an optional feature.

Lastly, and I may be the minority on this, I would have liked to see an exclusive focus on sports, super, and hyper cars. If we can only have 50 cars, why not make them all elite driving machines? I think it would have given the team more time to include non European makes and a vastly more interesting lineup of cars. Exotic cars racing in equally exotic environments would have made for a great pitch.

I really want to like this game (watching the stream as we speak), but I really wish there was more to like.

Begaria

lvZS2ou.png

Driveclub is as fun as doing taxes confirmed.

Put that on the back of the box.

In a weird twist, I am an Accountant, who should actually be doing some bookkeeping right now, but can't help himself but look through all of the wonderful GIFs of Driveclub on NeoGAF.

Edit: Some of you weirded out by people doing taxes in October have NO idea some of the "late" taxes I've seen. It's not uncommon in this line of work to run into someone who is behind 5-10 years of taxes. The worst I've ever worked on was six years worth of corporate taxes with only three of those years having any semblance of bookkeeping done. It's not exactly a fun time :p

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Stream didn't go too bad, I should get a capture card, a cam and a mic. lol ;p

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Rushy, if you happen to amble by and see this post, could you tell us if you and your team are going to be making graphical tweaks on a regular basis post launch? I'm more than happy with what I've seen but clearly you and your team have OCD.

Danneee

In a weird twist, I am an Accountant, who should actually be doing some bookkeeping right now, but can't help himself but look through all of the wonderful GIFs of Driveclub on NeoGAF.

Edit: Some of you weirded out by people doing taxes in October have NO idea some of the "late" taxes I've seen. It's not uncommon in this line of work to run into someone who is behind 5-10 years of taxes. The worst I've ever worked on was six years worth of corporate taxes with only three of those years having any semblance of bookkeeping done. It's not exactly a fun time :p

Driveclub more fun than accounting confirmed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom