• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mifune

Mehmber
I really want to like this game (watching the stream as we speak), but I really wish there was more to like.

Why can't you just wait and try the game out to decide if you like it or not? Why do you have to "want" to like it now before it's even out?

Ferrio

Banned
Mixed on whether I should get this. I'm not going to spend money on another damn wheel, and not having a wheel makes me pretty apathetic to the game. Hrm.

I think--these days at least--that racing games are more than an on the track experience. Even this thread is pretty much about waxing poetic about the games' visuals. I would have liked to see the type of customization we see in Forza. I know it was mentioned that the developer wanted to avoid obscene designs, but is that really a problem in Forza (I've never encountered it)? And, if it is, surely there's a good way to find and discipline those designs.

I am also disappointed at how disconnected the player is from the stunning looking environments. the reset timer should be done away with or made an optional feature.

Lastly, and I may be the minority on this, I would have liked to see an exclusive focus on sports, super, and hyper cars. If we can only have 50 cars, why not make them all elite driving machines? I think it would have given the team more time to include non European makes and a vastly more interesting lineup of cars. Exotic cars racing in equally exotic environments would have made for a great pitch.

I really want to like this game (watching the stream as we speak), but I really wish there was more to like.

Hmmm, DriveClub is more arcady and is more focused on the fun of racing against friends or alone in a very good looking simple package. What you're looking for is more sim and DC is not that, thank god !

Sim/Arcade style of racers are rare and many racing games take themselfs too seriously. I don't want a game that has 500 cars of stuff like that because it looses its focus imo. Too much is like not enough. I'm honestly glad a game like DriveClub is coming, it looks like it focues on the stuff i like in racing games, which is actually racing.

rich7sena

Banned
Why can't you just wait and try the game out to decide if you like it or not? Why do you have to "want" to like it now before it's even out?

Just how people are hyped for this game based on what they've seen, I'm less so. I want to like it because I'm a fan of racers, but I'm skeptical based on what I've seen.

Luckily, there will be a PS+ version that I can try out before hand. Otherwise, I'd wait for launch week impressions.

I'm just voicing an opinion like everyone else.

Ape

Banned
MealyDistantDotterel.gif

Is that a mannequin watching the race?

rich7sena

Banned
Hmmm, DriveClub is more arcady and is more focused on the fun of racing against friends or alone in a very good looking simple package. What you're looking for is more sim and DC is not that, thank god !

Sim/Arcade style of racers are rare and many racing games take themselfs too seriously. I don't want a game that has 500 cars of stuff like that because it looses its focus imo. Too much is like not enough. I'm honestly glad a game like DriveClub is coming, it looks like it focues on the stuff i like in racing games, which is actually racing.

I don't think that's the case considering the Midnight Club series was one of my favorite racers ever. I know what DC is trying to achieve, and I'm not sure it will accomplish it. I'm not asking for 500 cars, accurate physics, etc. I also don't think that a game that has great racing feel has to eschew other factors that make games fun.

I think DC has great potential (and I think the patches will fill it out to some extent), but when I was more excited with the initial reveal than I am now (despite the game looking better since then).

Is it true you can purchase car unlocks? How much does it cost to get the last car in the game?

In everyone's opinion what is the nicest looking car?

Can all car types play together? Super, Hyper, and performance?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Mixed on whether I should get this. I'm not going to spend money on another damn wheel, and not having a wheel makes me pretty apathetic to the game. Hrm.

It's pretty arcadey though and handles well with a controller. Assuming you have PS+ you'll be able to give it a try anyway.

I have a preorder in for a T300 but considering cancelling. Difficult to justify for just this and project cars, but then it should still be an upgrade over my DFGT for PC games too

I've sent a friend request to DRIVECLUB-GAF, so close now. I've a week of Destiny before i have to split my time between DRIVECLUB and Destiny and i also have the week after launch as holiday. Woot! :)

Just how people are hyped for this game based on what they've seen, I'm less so. I want to like it because I'm a fan of racers, but I'm skeptical based on what I've seen.

Luckily, there will be a PS+ version that I can try out before hand. Otherwise, I'd wait for launch week impressions.

I'm just voicing an opinion like everyone else.

Not quite sure what is the point of impression on launch week when everyone gets a free portion of the game to try. Unless you can't enjoy a game unless everyone else enjoy it. Not trying to be an asshole but why not just try out for yourself and decide? This being an platform exclusive new ip I fully expect reviews and impressions to be very mix. but who cares I've seen enough to know it will be fun and look great so preordered and paid off!

I believe there will be some validity to the potential negative reviews, though. As a fan of racing games, it seems as though--early on, at least--that Xbox is the console to be on when it comes to racing games.

When both systems have the exact same amount of racing games except for one (two Forza's) this statement seems weird. Especially for two systems that share majority of the same library across all genre's.

"I like Forza" would have been a more accurate post.

Wynnebeck

Banned
When both systems have the exact same amount of racing games except for one (two Forza's) this statement seems weird. Especially for two systems that share majority of the same library across all genre's.

"I like Forza" would have been a more accurate post.

The secret word is "disingenuous"!

22_peeweeshow_560x375.jpg

AHHHHHHHH!

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Am I allowed to post captures?

Man... controls are INSANELY GOOD. Period.

Graphics = best EVAH in a racing game. Period. Lighting is insane, I can't imagine how good this will look with the weather update!

Two complaints only: there are some jaggies here and there (few, not much), and the collisions are kind of lame, but we already knew that from the videos.

Everything else is simply unmatched though. Evo has outdone themselves.

rich7sena

Banned
Not quite sure what is the point of impression on launch week when everyone gets a free portion of the game to try. Unless you can't enjoy a game unless everyone else enjoy it. Not trying to be an asshole but why not just try out for yourself and decide? This being an platform exclusive new ip I fully expect reviews and impressions to be very mix. but who cares I've seen enough to know it will be fun and look great so preordered and paid off!

"Luckily, there will be a PS+ version that I can try out before hand. Otherwise, I'd wait for launch week impressions."

Loudninja

Am I allowed to post captures?

Man... controls are INSANELY GOOD. Period.

Graphics = best EVAH in a racing game. Period. Lighting is insane, I can't imagine how good this will look with the weather update!

Two complaints only: there are some jaggies here and there (few, not much), and the collisions are kind of lame, but we already knew that from the videos.

Everything else is simply unmatched though. Evo has outdone themselves.
Sounds great. :)

I would have liked to see the type of customization we see in Forza. ...I am also disappointed at how disconnected the player is from the stunning looking environments. ...I would have liked to see an exclusive focus on sports, super, and hyper cars.
So you want a game with a livery editor, open-world racing, and nothing but exotics to drive. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I can't think of any title past, present, or future that combines just those features.

Of course, you're free to have preferences, but it just seems like you're setting yourself up for disappointment, not just with Driveclub but with every racing game.

Jamesways

I think--these days at least--that racing games are more than an on the track experience. Even this thread is pretty much about waxing poetic about the games' visuals. I would have liked to see the type of customization we see in Forza.
Yeah, this game probably isn't for you then. Personal opinion but I disagree with the bolded statement. I love just turning laps in a car.
I did paint race liveries in Forza for years, and it was fun, but loved a game like Race Pro even more. That was the definition of bare bones racing.

If I were you, I'd be sure to steer clear from pCARS too. No customization in that, and really, different progression. Everything unlocked from the start. Racing for the sake of racing.

I'm honestly glad a game like DriveClub is coming, it looks like it focues on the stuff i like in racing games, which is actually racing.
BINGO!

Couldn't agree more.

I really don't get the need for more in racing games. Reviewers complain about not having enough to do outside of racing, when, really, that's the point of a racing game.

Edit- Lol Liable Brave, if only some game was on the Horizon for him...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom