• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT3| Evolved

Sirenty

I thought this might have been the case, at first I thought PDogg was getting more points when neatly throwing one drift straight into the other (that would make sense right), but after attempting that multiple times myself it was not the case and a drift that would have been worth over a thousand points anywhere else is worth almost nothing. I then tried again after half giving up and just gently drifted round the first corner then again round the second, suddenly 2000 points.

I just could not believe that you needed to drive straight for a period of time in a drift zone for my drift to be worth any points, and frankly it shouldn't this is beyond frustrating and just a downright broken scoring system.

Though personally I believe the whole drift scoring system needs completely remodelling.

When the game first came out, drifting worked the way you expected, and it was great. Long drifts while hanging the tail out and switching directions were a blast.

However, people cheesed it by drifting real slow and/or drifting 180s or more into complete stops to rack up massive points. Instead of fixing it by just cutting point gain when going below a very slow speed threshold, they gave us this new model of high speed and limited drift angles. This new model penalizes long drifts (the longer the drift the slower the points accumulate, it seems) or hanging the rear out too far (cause it slows you down which reduces points). So performing the aspects that make up actual drifting cause you to earn less points, which is aggravating considering they had it so perfect.

Even worse, though, is that the cheesing is way worse than the old way, with massive points racked up by drifting fast into walls at certain angles. In the old model, you could still beat cheesers with good drifts. It's impossible the new way.

I loved drifting when the game first came out. Now I loathe it and tend to avoid most drift challenges, (Have to do DHC challenges though.)

DirtyLarry

Glad to see you enjoying the game Larry, simply one of the most consuming racers I've played in years and it never ceases to amaze me with the graphics.
Thanks AT. I see you easily smashed the only and only Challenge I tried to create!! I should have held off creating it as a few rounds later I got it to the 1:13 area you smashed it with.
Even though I learned my lesson, do not challenge the pros!! LOL

Bouniter

This has happened since I can remember on the drifting, only some corners/courses are affected though. There's also a bug whereby if you cut the corner at a really good drift angle, sometimes as you hit the apex the score just stops going up for a second or two and it ruins the corner and invariably the run, it's very inconsistent. With the specific issue in this challenge, I honestly spent ages getting annoyed at it months ago, you have to make a conscious effort to end the first drift on the corners affected, typically I tap the brake to straighten up as it usually means drift 2 scores better. I edited my post above earlier when I beat the original high score but it might have been lost so here it is again - https://youtu.be/TlmCk8yp3oY

The trick to scoring is to start drifting from as far away from the zone as possible and keep as much speed as you can (as well as overcoming the bugged scoring in the first zone). Hold the car at the right drift angle as long as possible for the best scores, it's why people smash into walls because it gives them additional time travelling at the correct angle at high speed which always scores higher.

I have played very little else except the drifting since the game came out and it's a shame it's hated on so much because when it works it's amazing. They really need to look at the wall hitting, multiple drifts per zone, lack of any penalty for dropping below a certain speed and then the 2 buggy scoring things discussed here though, as it stands to new people it's a bit of a mess.

AbandonedTrolley, the second to last bend is the key, try drifting a little earlier, catch it at a more shallow angle and traverse the corner directly across the apex, rather than drifting round the final bend so much. See my recent video for where you could pick up those few extra points.

Thanks for all the tips will perhaps give it another shot at some point. The sad thing is I actually really enjoy drifting itself and you can get some truly beautiful drifts that look exquisite but often don't earn you the points they deserve. I just hate the scoring system!

When the game first came out, drifting worked the way you expected, and it was great. Long drifts while hanging the tail out and switching directions were a blast.

However, people cheesed it by drifting real slow and/or drifting 180s or more into complete stops to rack up massive points. Instead of fixing it by just cutting point gain when going below a very slow speed threshold, they gave us this new model of high speed and limited drift angles. This new model penalizes long drifts (the longer the drift the slower the points accumulate, it seems) or hanging the rear out too far (cause it slows you down which reduces points). So performing the aspects that make up actual drifting cause you to earn less points, which is aggravating considering they had it so perfect.

This Isn't quite right though as they do give more points for longer drifts for example there is community event at the moment with drift scores in excess of 70,000 people are getting it by drifting through an entire speed zone and into the drift zone I managed to recreate this somewhat and pull about 25,000 points in that one corner so long drifts do give you more points. the problems stem elsewhere even if this itself seems off to me (especially as being able to do this is never communicated to the player).

What I don't like are the many things you mentioned above, being able to over rotate to gain more points, not losing points when slamming into walls, the fact that it sometimes seems to be very dependent on track location without telling you where on the track nets you the most points, the awful second drift bug thing mentioned above, the way it gives you more points based on your angle sometimes (is this in relation to the current corner or something never quite managed to work it out?) and with all of these different multipliers effecting your score but no way of seeing what, when or how, everything being completely unexplained and very unintuitive the player has no way of knowing what the game actually wants leading to even more confusion and so frustration with drifting entirely.

All of this results in runs that are often scrappy and have no flow earning you more points than a really good looking drift run and well it saddens me. (I may have to play on a unpatched version and see if I liked the old system better)

But this is one of only a couple of problems and I've had my rant (hope you read these Rushy) so I will finish by praising evolution on the whole for what is a beautifully crafted game.

Denur

I'll post a full list of results up later but in the meantime here's the Week 2 challenge...

https://youtu.be/7xQMXGx_n5A

Drifts aren't really my speciality so I'm sure it'll be beaten even quicker than the time trial was! Same as last time, it's invite only so if you want to take part but haven't received the challenge then let me know and I'll forward it on. Have fun!
Gave the drift challenge a try, but it turns-out that drifting is still not my thing. :(

farmerboy

Gave the drift challenge a try, but it turns-out that drifting is still not my thing. :(

You surely can't be worse than me. Last I checked I'm 17 out of 17!

AKA dead fucking last. :-(

Here's the funny bit, if I just try to drive that particular car around that track, I'm fucking drifting all over the place. But if I try to do it, nothing. Fucking hopeless.

Denur

You surely can't be worse than me. Last I checked I'm 17 out of 17!

AKA dead fucking last. :-(

Here's the funny bit, if I just try to drive that particular car around that track, I'm fucking drifting all over the place. But if I try to do it, nothing. Fucking hopeless.
You're now 20/20 with me at a solid 19. :D

jp_footy

Neo Member
If any1's interested we're starting a 25 lap endurance race on Lake Shoji in 15-20 mins. If you want to join us send me a message on psn, "jp_footy".

Hehe mine neither but PDogg's advice has allowed me to scrape up to 7th for the time being :) I like how the usual suspects are struggling and the drift boys are showing us how its done!

Sirenty

This Isn't quite right though as they do give more points for longer drifts for example there is community event at the moment with drift scores in excess of 70,000 people are getting it by drifting through an entire speed zone and into the drift zone I managed to recreate this somewhat and pull about 25,000 points in that one corner so long drifts do give you more points. the problems stem elsewhere even if this itself seems off to me (especially as being able to do this is never communicated to the player).

I think that might be slightly different to what I was referring to, and is actually another cheese in the new model I forgot about (drifting through speed zones and racking up massive points in the next drift zone).

For example, the first corner of the DHC challenge. If you drift the entire zone, you quickly get ~1200 points and then accumulation slows way down even though speed hasn't dropped much at all, and you end up with ~1400. However, if you do it your way and start - stop - start again, the second time you start points start gaining rapidly and you easily get over 2000.

The first time I scored over 7000 was due to that. In the third zone I couldn't score more than 1400 even though I drifted the entire zone. Then I accidentally spun out one time. Kept going and when I started drifting again, I got over 2100. That is highly discouraging considering drifting the whole zone takes more skill.

Has this been posted?

Driveclub-NissanGTR-R34-638x321.png

EDIT: Just checked and it has, at least this is a still version I suppose lol.

How about having time limit/bonus like the bike skill events? It's a bandaid solution but it could still work.

I think that might be slightly different to what I was referring to, and is actually another cheese in the new model I forgot about (drifting through speed zones and racking up massive points in the next drift zone).

For example, the first corner of the DHC challenge. If you drift the entire zone, you quickly get ~1200 points and then accumulation slows way down even though speed hasn't dropped much at all, and you end up with ~1400. However, if you do it your way and start - stop - start again, the second time you start points start gaining rapidly and you easily get over 2000.

The first time I scored over 7000 was due to that. In the third zone I couldn't score more than 1400 even though I drifted the entire zone. Then I accidentally spun out one time. Kept going and when I started drifting again, I got over 2100. That is highly discouraging considering drifting the whole zone takes more skill.

I had the same problem.

drotahorror

The Evolution Drift Challenge that's about to end soon is ridiculous. It's dumb watching the ghost just turn side ways and spin out and nab 40k plus points.

Duallusion

Even worse, though, is that the cheesing is way worse than the old way, with massive points racked up by drifting fast into walls at certain angles. In the old model, you could still beat cheesers with good drifts. It's impossible the new way.

I loved drifting when the game first came out. Now I loathe it and tend to avoid most drift challenges, (Have to do DHC challenges though.)

Great summary on the drifting situation. I enjoy the drifting itself but the current scoring system is broken and for no good reason to boot, since they've had almost everything already in place to correctly fix the first version (penalty for going off-road and/or hitting a wall); all they had to do was add the penalty for spin-outs and reaching too low a speed.

After months of taking a break, I decided to buy the season pass and get back into the game :). I now have an overwhelming amount of content to get through! Anyways, what's this I read about challenges? I'd like in on that. My PSN is g3ud0

PDogg

Neo Member
The Evolution Drift Challenge that's about to end soon is ridiculous. It's dumb watching the ghost just turn side ways and spin out and nab 40k plus points.

Stingray Ken? Hes not spinning out, that's actually an amazing drift, first time I've seen someone drift all the way round that corner through the speed zone and through the second drift zone. In all honesty it's really really difficult to do, it's not really foul play but I guess the score isnt legit in one sense as he crashes out.

The other Evo challenge is a shambles:

https://youtu.be/3WqDyuI6N9k

I also recorded another video to show how the drift through zones thing is being exploited for anyone who doesn't know. It's not the greatest example, more points are available from this method if I'd taken a bit more time but you'll get the idea. Two clips, one drifting through zones one and two and crashing out, the other takes the way you'd expect. Scores significantly higher via the crash out.

https://youtu.be/qOrZ5e1vqUU

I'm not sure Evo are too bothered about the drifting, they frequently chose the most exploitable tracks and awful cars for their challenges, very odd and I really hope they prove me wrong.

It's amazing when it works and I still love it <3

nib95

Banned
Stingray Ken? Hes not spinning out, that's actually an amazing drift, first time I've seen someone drift all the way round that corner through the speed zone and through the second drift zone. In all honesty it's really really difficult to do, it's not really foul play but I guess the score isnt legit in one sense as he crashes out.

I also recorded another video to show how the drift through zones thing is being exploited for anyone who doesn't know. It's not the greatest example, more points are available from this method if I'd taken a bit more time but you'll get the idea. Two clips, one drifting through zones one and two and crashing out, the other takes the way you'd expect. Scores significantly higher via the crash out.

https://youtu.be/qOrZ5e1vqUU

I'm not sure Evo are too bothered about the drifting, they frequently chose the most exploitable tracks and awful cars for their challenges, very odd and I really hope they prove me wrong.

It's amazing when it works and I still love it <3

Lol, that ghost is hilarious. I didn't even realise you could gain extra points like that still.

xrnzaaas

Who do I write to about that weekly challenge invite (my PSN is in my public profile)? :) I'd like to try mu luck as well. I usually suck at drifting but I can try, I feel much better with the DC Bikes skill challenges. :)

Yeah, we've talked about this a while ago regarding a drift challenge on Nilgiri Hills. Here's my video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OH5Wyk0xl8

Mind you, it's not a particularly great attempt, several regulars from this thread had way better and cleaner runs, but i found it quite hard to pull off in the first place. Actually, you might have been one of them. XD

Who do I write to about that weekly challenge invite (my PSN is in my public profile)? :) I'd like to try mu luck as well. I usually suck at drifting but I can try, I feel much better with the DC Bikes skill challenges. :)

That would be DHC-Shannow.

T_Exige

The hardest part in that drift challenge are the 2 last corners.
I had a great first part 2.000 +, but as soon as I get to the last, it is all over.

After months of taking a break, I decided to buy the season pass and get back into the game :). I now have an overwhelming amount of content to get through! Anyways, what's this I read about challenges? I'd like in on that. My PSN is g3ud0

Righto, I'll add you and xrnzaaas when I get home tonight.

We trust you to choose the worst possible track/car/weather combo. As always :)

What can I say, I have a gift ;-)

suck it bitches......7th. :p

Oi! Get off my 7th place, thats where I end up on every challenge and rally we do!

Shit, I had no idea that this was still possible :-(

That's why I said so many times already:
you leave the track? zero points.
you spin out? zero points
you stop or go below certain speed during drift? zero, ZERO points

Not just it stop counting more points, the current drift score should be reset to zero, ZERO
No.

This game is an accessible racer.

This would not work for lower skilled players.

Not saying that let's not find a way to avoid cheesing the scoring system, but what you list, apart from off track, is too much for those people.

Sirenty

Sure thing :) Any suggestions for vehicle / track / time / weather?

Remember that challenge at the Kyle where you had the time of day set just right so when you crested that big hill in the middle the sun was right in your eyes and you couldn't see the next two corners. How about another one like that?

/s?

2nd'd about a active player list as i'm sure a lot of the original driveclub-gaf lot have moved on to pastures new so a updated list on the OT would be handy.

Most of you here have me on your list anyways, but those who don't....

PSN : AnythingBut66 :) .....but add a message as to where yr from or the FR will go in the bin,lol

I wish DC looked at how GRID did its drift events and just copied it.

They would need to modify the handling a little too as too much speed is lost in most drifts for them to be entertaining for long. While the handling in this game is very arcadey generally, I think the drifting mechanics are too punishing. Drifting with speed is actually easier in real racing sims like Forza and GT than it is here.

PDogg

Neo Member
Maybe it's the amount of time I've put in to the drifting, still not as much as some but a huge amount nonetheless, but I find general drifting really really easy these days. Not easy to win or easy to score big necessarily but the level of control I have now without really thinking about it is mad. I can just mess about with huge drifts and attempt different angles.

I suggest that people persevere with it, it took me months to actually start being decent but you will get the muscle memory and if you play the tracks enough and learn how much you can push it at the right speed and angles, then there's masses of fun in there and you'll be competitive.

The second to last corner on this challenge is a good example of where you'll need practice to develop the technique to score more. The real trick to scoring high on that corner is to drift at a really shallow angle so you retain the speed from the previous downhill bit, keep that speed over the apex and head towards the wall but hit brake just before you crash into it. If you slow right down so you don't hit the wall you should actually start a little drift again and keep scoring!

The difficulty is in actually hitting that line fast and then remembering to brake, basically the whole process haha.

Maybe it's the amount of time I've put in to the drifting, still not as much as some but a huge amount nonetheless, but I find general drifting really really easy these days. Not easy to win or easy to score big necessarily but the level of control I have now without really thinking about it is mad. I can just mess about with huge drifts and attempt different angles.

I suggest that people persevere with it, it took me months to actually start being decent but you will get the muscle memory and if you play the tracks enough and learn how much you can push it at the right speed and angles, then there's masses of fun in there and you'll be competitive.

The second to last corner on this challenge is a good example of where you'll need practice to develop the technique to score more. The real trick to scoring high on that corner is to drift at a really shallow angle so you retain the speed from the previous downhill bit, keep that speed over the apex and head towards the wall but hit brake just before you crash into it. If you slow right down so you don't hit the wall you should actually start a little drift again and keep scoring!

The difficulty is in actually hitting that line fast and then remembering to brake, basically the whole process haha.

I don't think I've ever found it especially difficult. I mean as far as the tour events go, it's very easy to hit gold on the first attempt, but personally I just don't find it very satisfying.

Edit: One thing that would be interesting would be if they added some drift spec cars. I mean drifting on most games outside of the drift specalised vehicles which have been modified for their purpose is usually pretty painful. On GRID the drifting was only fun in Drift spec vehicles.

Do you go full speed into that drift, or do you brake a bit before it? When i attempt it at full speed i often go into a slide that doesn't count as a drift.

Do you go full speed into that drift, or do you brake a bit before it? When i attempt it at full speed i often go into a slide that doesn't count as a drift.

No, don't brake. If the slide doesn't count as a drift your entry angle is to shallow. It is the most difficult corner to get right.

PDogg

Neo Member

Full speed ahead, always. Sometimes the game randomly stops scoring some of my drifts on that corner but I'll grab a vid to see if it's the same as you describe.. Ocassionally when I hit the apex at a very shallow angle the score goes up initially and then stops for a moment before continuing as I plough in to the wall. This happens on other corners on other courses too but thankfully it happens far less regularly as a whole.

These last few pages have made drifting sound totally broken and not worth the time but for me, when you nail a drift at speed or win a drift challenge clean, it's utterly sublime.

PDogg

Neo Member
Hey PDogg......get back on it. :D

Haha, I will as soon as possible, I have a poorly 2 year old at the moment which isn't a lot of fun. How much did you beat it by? I can definitely do better but stringing them together is going to be tough. Nice work.

No, don't brake. If the slide doesn't count as a drift your entry angle is to shallow. It is the most difficult corner to get right.

Full speed ahead, always. Sometimes the game randomly stops scoring some of my drifts on that corner but I'll grab a vid to see if it's the same as you describe.. Ocassionally when I hit the apex at a very shallow angle the score goes up initially and then stops for a moment before continuing as I plough in to the wall. This happens on other corners on other courses too but thankfully it happens far less regularly as a whole.

These last few pages have made drifting sound totally broken and not worth the time but for me, when you nail a drift at speed or win a drift challenge clean, it's utterly sublime.

OK, thanks!

Remember that challenge at the Kyle where you had the time of day set just right so when you crested that big hill in the middle the sun was right in your eyes and you couldn't see the next two corners. How about another one like that?

/s?

Lol sounds like a great idea ;-) Just remember who I'm going to blame when all the complaints come in!

The hardest part in that drift challenge are the 2 last corners.
I had a great first part 2.000 +, but as soon as I get to the last, it is all over.

I feel like I've done well if I only drop 500 points to PDogg in that last zone!

Sent out the challenges to those 3 new entrants and I'm back in sodding 12th again! Is Goldrusher a gaffer? Got a FR but dunno if he's eligible for an invite.

New to the thread is there a Gaf club or anything that I can join?

This question is asked so often it should be a meme by now :)

There's lots of Gaf clubs as there's a limit of 6 players per club. If someone has an inactive player then they'll prolly send you an invite. Being in a club unlocks 5 cars and is defo worth it for the mono and the zonda.

One thing I will say about this game, is the 'clubs system' is something that never really worked. Evolution argued the 6 man capacity when the game came out, but it's been much more of a limitation than it has ever been an asset.

They should have been more flexible.

Top Bottom