• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub Pre-E3 preview event

Gestault

With as much respect as it deserves, I take issue with this:

uannb9w.png

They give the impression they're using real-time photonic simulation to get the effect a shader could (and almost certainly is) achieving. I have my doubts that it's as they've characterized. I'd be happy to be mistaken on this point.

They give the impression they're using real-time photonic simulation to get the effect a shader could (and almost certainly is) achieving. I have my doubts that it's as they've characterized. I'd be happy to be mistaken on this point.
Does it have to be real-time? Seems like the kind of thing you can get away with baking in while still achieving the correct end result.

Gestault

Does it have to be real-time? Seems like the kind of thing you can get away with baking in while still achieving the correct end result.

No, I'm saying the opposite: I'm saying it doesn't need to be real-time, because that would be preposterous in terms of computing and unnecessary because the shader achieves the same thing. My issue is that slide giving the impression it is.

No, I'm saying the opposite: I'm saying it doesn't need to be real-time, because that would be preposterous in terms of computing and unnecessary because the shader achieves the same thing. My issue is that slide giving the impression it is.
Yeah, I guess I just didn't get the same impression - that it was being calculated in real-time anyway. Just that they had the wherewithal and took the time to calculate it at all because they're kind of insane.

Doesn't seem like there would be any point in doing that in real time unless it could vary. I'm certainly not a graphics tech guy, and maybe that why I didn't get the same impression as you ;p

shandy706

People always like to point the finger at PD, but don't realize that there are few racing games actually have good car audio. Just because it's loud like in NFS doesn't mean that it's accurate.

The F12 roars though. The DC audio isn't too far off, but isn't right either...needs some more "loud" guttural growl though. I mentioned it in the other post about audio, but here's some good examples of a roaring F12.

Wait for the car to get on it in both instances. Listen to both...love that growl.

MP3 F12 (right on the car)

Youtube Vid (quite a ways from the car) (3:02-3:06 is excellent too)

So what about Forza?

This is how racing games should sound

That's raw car audio.

Yep...that growl needs to be there. Good stuff.

What do you think about that MP3 of the F12?

TyrantII

It wouldn't be much different than sub surface scattering. Obviously the resolution would be thousand of orders of magnitude lower than in the real world. But any PC simulation, game or other, is.

That said I'm guessing its marketing fluff for a simple shader. The GI lighting and volemetric clouds and lighting effects aren't though.

Flo_Evans

The more I read/hear from hands-on previews, the most nervous I get. "Nervous" in the sense of preparing for some disappointing realities, not having the game spoiled. Comments on track design are one thing. I lean more in the sim-style, so keep that in mind, but this line is troubling to me about the handling between vehicles:

For reference, PGR3/4 and Forza Horizon partly stood out to me because the nuance of the vehicles was retained so well in the arcade-style feel. A big part of the progression in gameplay was getting more cars, not because it was a checklist of cars, but because they had distinct characteristics that made them more (or less) interesting to drive in different settings and circumstances.

Worse yet (and as much as "IGN is bad" is a fine reaction initially when they make an assertion that's way out of line with other assertions), I'm seeing unfavorable comparisons crop up elsewhere to existing games now that the preview embargo is up:

Wait a second. They just said in that video gamer TV video is is ONLY asynchronous multiplayer? Is that right? There is no actual online racing?

What a joke.

teiresias

I do agree that the image implies that it's a real-time calculation, but I WOULDN'T be happy if you were mistaken, as IMO, doing such a real-time calculation is a total waste of time for the pay-off it provides.

IKizzLE

Man, this game has nothing but European cars. (Oddly missing Lamborghini though). Has anyone seen any Japanese or American cars(outside of Hennessey)?

Where is the Nissan gtr? Lexus lfa? Acura nsx?
Where is the dodge viper? Corvette? Ford gt?

Only 13 spots left has me worried.

viveks86

It doesn't say it's realtime simulation. It could very well be a simple formula based on a precomputed model for each car. The statement would still hold true in that case. A lot of fancy words, for sure, but that's what PR is all about. :D

It's probably a simplified version of this: http://www.gamedev.net/page/resourc...film-interference-for-computer-graphics-r2962. There they run it for 3 wavelengths and get good results,

Absolutely gorgeous.

ibkg9OTrCbgVxH.gif

It's leaking into the aero a bit but the overall effect is worth it :)

Conan819

Banned
Jeff Gerstmann tweeted a few hours ago saying that 'Driveclub felt like a very standard racing game, nothing stood out'.

Gerstmann is full of bizarre spur of the moment opinions. He once ate a vegetable, thought they were gross than never ate one again in his life. He seems to do the same thing with games, make a decision in five minutes and stubbornly defend his opinion.

I'm not claiming it's console bias or anything, he does it repeatedly whether it is The Last of Us or Super Time Force.

Superflat

Gerstmann is full of bizarre spur of the moment opinions. He once ate a vegetable, thought they were gross than never ate one again in his life. He seems to do the same thing with games, make a decision in five minutes and stubbornly defend his opinion.

I'm not claiming it's console bias or anything, he does it repeatedly whether it is The Last of Us or Super Time Force.

Gerstmann is someone I listen to when he's praising a game, because he can pinpoint why a game feels good to play better than anyone else, in my opinion.

But when it comes to games he doesn't play much of/doesn't care much for, they're obviously not as sharp.

Flo_Evans

It's online racing, what do you need to see?

Considering the fact I wasted an entire night trying to join a BF4 server with my friends and that game has been out for 6 months I would like to see how they handle the club joining races?

WTF is this nonsense?

The defense force for this game is out of control.

Considering the fact I wasted an entire night trying to join a BF4 server with my friends and that game has been out for 6 months I would like to see how they handle the club joining races?

WTF is this nonsense?

The Playstation Access video did mention that joining with friends and setting up club events was easy by way of the dynamic menu. Seeing as how that menu was the primary reason given for the delay, maybe they're still working or reworking out those particular kinks.

That's just a guess though.

Flo_Evans

The Playstation Access video did mention that joining with friends and setting up club events was easy by way of the dynamic menu. Seeing as how that menu was the primary reason given for the delay, maybe they're still working or reworking out those particular kinks.

That's just a guess though.

Maybe I need to watch it again, I thought they were talking about setting up offline challenges.

evolution

WTF is this nonsense?

Naw, your just overreacting. What does your experience with battlefield have to do with any other game not made by dice?

The games not out till October, they have plenty of time to show more, and I'm sure they will.

Yep...that growl needs to be there. Good stuff.

What do you think about that MP3 of the F12?

I was impressed with it. It's not perfect, but it's a step in the right direction. I'm far more concerned with the Zonda R though. It sounds way too quiet. Especially in the interior. Like I said in another thread, I don't think that it has much of any sound deadening since it's all about performance and anything that would add weight is taken out of it. That interior should be near deafening.

Flo_Evans

Naw, your just overreacting. What does your experience with battlefield have to do with any other game not made by dice?

The games not out till October, they have plenty of time to show more, and I'm sure they will.

Naw I am just really getting tired of the "trust us guys it will totally work fine" BS.

nib95

Banned
Great sense of speed.

izMCA3EAV7Dwi.gif

Awesome. Pretty good suspension action. Track reminds me of Willow Springs. On a side note, such a great time to be an simcade racing fan. This, Forza Horizon 2 and Project Cars. And the great thing is, they each have their own merits and gameplay balance. Solid.

please allow custom soundtracks, Evolution/Sony. :{
Seriously this.

Horizon was the only racing game where I actually enjoyed the soundtrack, and even then I just bought the tracks I liked and made a custom mix anyway. Racing games are incredibly enhanced by playing them with your own favorite tunes.

Cygnus

Banned
Awesome. Pretty good suspension action. Track reminds me of Willow Springs. On a side note, such a great time to be an simcade racing fan. This, Forza Horizon 2 and Project Cars. And the great thing is, they each have their own merits and gameplay balance. Solid.

I don't see how this is sim/cade, and I'm pretty sure Project Cars is striving to be a sim, they haven't finalised physics yet.

Hedrush

If you can only watch one preview, watch the playstation access video, its great. Lots of good questions and honest answers. This game looks phenomenal.

Top Bottom