• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub Pro Tips Summary Thread for newcomers

joecanada

Lol what the fuck?

It's not elitist it's a simple measure of longevity by not shitposting in games threads. I'm not saying anything about junior posters in general. It's this particular type of shitpost that guarantees someone never reaches member status. Obviously I was a junior for months on end as well as anyone was

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
I'm appalled by these "too hard" criticisms. pCars is WAAAY harder. Is ridge racer the only games you guys play?

NateGrigs

I'm appalled by these "too hard" criticisms. Is ridge racer the only games you guys play?

i love the difficulty and how the adaptive ai keeps things close.....but in a world of driving lines, rewind, stability/traction control options, difficulty levels, etc, I can see why people think this is too hard.

You have to understand the basic concepts of racing (hitting the apex, drafting) without explanation to do well.

score01

Keep the tips coming guys. I like what I have played of the PS+ version but really suck at it. This is a game where a feel I would like really like to get good at playing...

I'm appalled by these "too hard" criticisms. pCars is WAAAY harder. Is ridge racer the only games you guys play?

A friend of mine who hasn't played video games for 10 years came by a month a go and I let him play Driveclub, after about 30 minutes of teachings he doing very good laptimes and with performance level cars.

Have to agree with you don't see how Driveclub is in anyway hard.

drotahorror

A friend of mine who hasn't played video games for 10 years came by a month a go and I let him play Driveclub, after about 30 minutes of teachings he doing very good laptimes and with performance level cars.

I got 224/225 (that one time trial) in the normal tour. I felt like the DLC was waaaaay harder though. Maybe you're just sick as hell, but the DLC gives me issues.

slapnuts

DC is one heck of a racing game and so much better imho than the initial release. The game just looks so damn beautiful and is a blast to play. The support this game is getting is amazing as well with all the current events and the upcoming tracks,cars,events,etc..baby has long legs and i don't even play DC online at all. Definitely the best looking racing game on any platform thus far too!

This thread just got me pumped up again, time to get back into the driver seat of DC tonight!

Also if you are playing for the first time, don't jump right into the tour, start a single event and set it to time trial, dry, drive a hatchback or sports car to get a feel on the handling.

When play in single player races don't be afraid to make contact, slamming into each other is part of racing games and you can't really avoid it, keep your driving line and overtake them aggressively.

Jesb

I'm loving this game. Spent most of the day playing it. I do however suck royally on the time trial events. Game is beautiful, love the water on the tracks, so many little cool details.

Same, it's a very easy game. I started with the Startline tour by mistake when I first picked it up and after a few hours only missed a few stars. It was only after that I realized I had started with the wrong tour.

Tip: If you're braking in a straight line and then turning like you would in a normal car you're doing it wrong. Full steer, full brakes to the apex, throttle out. The most important thing is learning your braking points.

KennyL

There is no rubber banding per say, but I remember Rushy saying AI adapts to your speed (in a realistic manner).

Sorry, I don't know who this Rushy is but that sounds like marketing bullshit excuse for rubberbanding patronizing crap AI. Thanks for waiting for me guys while I slippy slidy through corners. Look at you all driving in neat orderly line not racing amongst each other. Hey! Why are you guys keep bumping into me now??! Much real.

Gonna take these turning tips to mind.

I took some of them to mind (braking, slowing down), but the diagrams are helpful.

I still suck at drifting with circle.

Electret

Gonna take these turning tips to mind.

I took some of them to mind (braking, slowing down), but the diagrams are helpful.

I still suck at drifting with circle.

Maybe this was covered earlier, but how often should drifts be initiated with circle? Always? And is this separate from simple cornering? What I mean is that I've been taking corners in races/time trials purely with braking and not using circle.

For drifting, keep the revs as high as you can. The speed you should be at when starting a drift (mainly with the handbrake though you can drift by throwing the car around) should be dictated by how sharp the corner is. Long sweeping corners usually mean little or no braking before you initiate the drift. Sharp hair-pins means you should brake a lot before you attempt a drift. Also, keep towards the outer edge of the corner when you start the drift and try to aim for the apex (Outside to Inside). Cars with low drift stats need a long press of the handbrake where high drift stat cars sometimes only need a tap.

Ignore drift challenges that appear in races, unless you're really confident at drifting or so far out in front that an error isn't going to affect you.

I find that playing manual gears helps drifting a lot as you can keep the revs high as your speed drops and exit the corner with much power. If you can use manual gears in general, you can shave seconds off lap-times by always keeping your revs high (and thus having maximum power output).

Now that I'm knee-deep in the Semi-Pro league, I've been finding the game much, much harder than before. At high speeds, most of the cars I pick are very unstable, to the point where riding over the curb slightly is often the difference between making it through the corner fast and restarting the whole vent because you're in the grass and every car has passed you and there's no hope of getting back in the race. But trying to slow down enough to keep the car stable just means that I get passed anyways. I just finished the Semi-Pro Finals for the first time and found that in the last two events, catching up to first or second place was impossible, and the cars behind me would occasionally pass me even though I wasn't making any obvious mistakes. The narrow tracks and their serpentine nature don't help for passing, either. It just feels really hard to drive consistently for some reason--there's always the chance I'll hit something, or someone will hit me, or I'll hit a bad bump in the road and go flying. Hell, for one of the hot laps, the fastest time trial ghost literally jumped over the curb during a quick chicane. What?

I've played my fair share of Forzas and Gran Turismos before, with both controller and wheel. I've played DiRT Rally, for chrissakes. Why am I having so much trouble with fucking Driveclub? It's getting to the point where pretty much every event requires me to restart at least five or ten times just to squeeze out more than one star, and it's not fun.

AlexIIDX

I never play racing games, last one was Motorstorm (well mario kart 8 i guess)...but man, i'm loving this so far. Just how real it looks and the engine sounds and the speed. It's a lot of fun. I am definitely having some difficulty getting turns down with the faster cars. I think i'm going to upgrade to the full version though.

edit: I thought X was handbrake...seems like nothing happens when I press it.

I never play racing games, last one was Motorstorm (well mario kart 8 i guess)...but man, i'm loving this so far. Just how real it looks and the engine sounds and the speed. It's a lot of fun. I am definitely having some difficulty getting turns down with the faster cars. I think i'm going to upgrade to the full version though.

edit: I thought X was handbrake...seems like nothing happens when I press it.

Circle/O by default.

Now that I'm knee-deep in the Semi-Pro league, I've been finding the game much, much harder than before. At high speeds, most of the cars I pick are very unstable, to the point where riding over the curb slightly is often the difference between making it through the corner fast and restarting the whole vent because you're in the grass and every car has passed you and there's no hope of getting back in the race. But trying to slow down enough to keep the car stable just means that I get passed anyways. I just finished the Semi-Pro Finals for the first time and found that in the last two events, catching up to first or second place was impossible, and the cars behind me would occasionally pass me even though I wasn't making any obvious mistakes. The narrow tracks and their serpentine nature don't help for passing, either. It just feels really hard to drive consistently for some reason--there's always the chance I'll hit something, or someone will hit me, or I'll hit a bad bump in the road and go flying. Hell, for one of the hot laps, the fastest time trial ghost literally jumped over the curb during a quick chicane. What?

I've played my fair share of Forzas and Gran Turismos before, with both controller and wheel. I've played DiRT Rally, for chrissakes. Why am I having so much trouble with fucking Driveclub? It's getting to the point where pretty much every event requires me to restart at least five or ten times just to squeeze out more than one star, and it's not fun.

Because the physics model is weird. It pissed me off for a while too but I basically had to stop thinking of the car as an actual car and start thinking about it as what Driveclub wants cars to be. Once I had that down it was pretty easy, not all that much fun since it's not what I'm looking for, but it's doable.

Sorry, I don't know who this Rushy is but that sounds like marketing bullshit excuse for rubberbanding patronizing crap AI. Thanks for waiting for me guys while I slippy slidy through corners. Look at you all driving in neat orderly line not racing amongst each other. Hey! Why are you guys keep bumping into me now??! Much real.

Rushy is one of the game's lead designers and he posts here in the DC threads on GAF. And the AI issue has been discussed to death in the threads for months now. It's not rubber banding in the traditional sense. Check the threads (even earlier in this very thread) for a better explanation.

Seventy70

-DC's graphics tries to be accurate to reality. And sometimes, reality is not meant to be beautiful. So that's why DC may look the worst on full sun hours with no illumination effects.
When you experience all the sunsets, sunrises, weather effects, and multicolor clouds, you will acknowledge how any game comes close to what DC can offer.

I'm sorry, but this is hilarious. It's a good looking game, but not THAT good looking.

Dynomutt

Just got my PS4 back after a long hiatus. Great game! Not the best but I want to get better and really enjoy the game. Cayoosh ending is great! If anyone has a club with chill people send me a msg: akrynym_one.

It seems like a lot of people playing the PS Plus version think they need to do that tour with all the rain in order to unlock stuff. Not true. I'd recommend people play the single races first in dry weather to become accustomed to the handling. You can unlock cars and level up just as easily doing single player races.

Top Bottom