• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub PS Plus Edition Coming Soon

They're increasing the number of available cars from 10 to 15.
And they're offering 11 tour events (15 events) from 6 locations in lieu of 5 tour events (6 events) from 1 location.

I think that's their token of good will (alas for you, no Lamborghini to be found in this selection).
People expecting Sony to release the full game for free on PS+ are simply dreaming.

It was a feature promised from initial promotion, it released in October and now sells for $20 or less for a physical version. Sony are the one's who're dreaming; expecting people to shell out (what will probably be) the MSRP for the full upgrade. That was the the whole point of the free edition in the first place.

breakfuss

How did I overlook a fresh Driveclub thread lolol?

At this point they need to just release the retail version on PS+ instead of some half-measure edition. All would be forgiven and they could sell a bunch of DLC. The game thrives on its community so I'm just hoping they make a decision "soooooon" because hardly anyone on my list plays. Full retail on PS+ is the way to go.

le-seb

It was a feature promised from initial promotion, it released in October and now sells for $20 or less for a physical version. Sony are the one's who're dreaming; expecting people to shell out the full MSRP for the full upgrade. That was the the whole point of the free edition in the first place.
Try the demo and buy the $20 physical version rather than the digital one, then?
Not sure what's your problem.

It was a feature promised from initial promotion, it released in October and now sells for $20 or less for a physical version. Sony are the one's who're dreaming; expecting people to shell out (what will probably be) the MSRP for the full upgrade. That was the the whole point of the free edition in the first place.

Maybe in the US, but certainly not in Canada.

Amazon has it on sale for $56. Used prices are nearly $50. Bestbuy has it at full price $69.99

Try the demo and buy the $20 physical version rather than the digital one, then?
Not sure what's your problem.

I was mostly addressing the fact that you were (seemingly) justifying the almost year delay with a couple cars and a few different tracks -- particularly when the retail value is already so small. I plan on getting the physical edition at some point.

Maybe in the US, but certainly not in Canada.

Amazon has it on sale for $56. Used prices are nearly $50. Bestbuy has it at full price $69.99

That's unfortunate, but it's $19.99 on Gamestop, here, new. Digital is obviously still full price.

Arklite

How did I overlook a fresh Driveclub thread lolol?

At this point they need to just release the retail version on PS+ instead of some half-measure edition. All would be forgiven and they could sell a bunch of DLC. The game thrives on its community so I'm just hoping they make a decision "soooooon" because hardly anyone on my list plays. Full retail on PS+ is the way to go.

If they haven't done it for the sake of Killzone SF's multiplayer then they're sure as hell not going to do it for Driveclub's community, which they probably still need to make more money off of. They owe subscribers the Plus edition, and that's about it.

I remember people using the Driveclub PS+ edition as a plus for getting the PS4. "I get a free racing game with the PS4 though..." Almost 2 years later and still no solid info.

gypsygib

Better late than never I suppose but I felt Sony really mislead people with the DriveClub Plus edition. It was advertised as a major selling point for Plus everywhere with an October 2014 release date. It's almost a 8 months late which would be understandable if the actual game was pushed back, but it's been out for a while now.

If a company says a product is part of a service and uses that product to advertise the service, they should be required to deliver on their promises.

If Netflix used Game of Thrones to advertise their service with an October release date, they can't just change it to, "coming when available" (and all the profit is exacted from every other type of possible sale) then provide no estimated release date for months...and maybe release it when it's on network TV 5 years later.

Seems like DriveClub Plus edition will release when F2P DriveClub edition releases.

People sued about Killzone resolution, why not sue about this.

Agent X

And it didn't just get delayed once. It got delayed several times. They didn't evne bother to tell us they were delaying it the day it was supposed to finally come out. We just realized it when it wasn't showing up. I think they took a few days to say anything.

That's true. Sony was still promoting DriveClub PS+ Edition just two days before the big monthly Instant Game Collection update in October, in a video showing it along with six other games that month. But on the day it was supposed to come out, DriveClub was mysteriously missing from the lineup. They listed the other six games, but no sign of DriveClub at all.

Sony offered no explanation for their sudden decision to pull it from the month's lineup, or any semblance of an apology for the delay for this vastly hyped-up game. They swept it under the rug and simply hoped people wouldn't notice. Only after numerous gamers complained about the missing DriveClub repeatedly on their blog, social media, and other gaming sites did Sony finally acknowledge the issue, near the end of the day.

Hexa

Better late than never I suppose but I felt Sony really mislead people with the DriveClub Plus edition. It was advertised as a major selling point for Plus everywhere with an October 2014 release date. It's almost a 8 months late which would be understandable if the actual game was pushed back, but it's been out for a while now.

If a company says a product is part of a service and uses that product to advertise the service, they should be required to deliver on their promises.

If Netflix used Game of Thrones to advertise their service with an October release date, they can't just change it to, "coming when available" (and all the profit is exacted from every other type of possible sale) then provide no estimated release date for months...and maybe release it when it's on network TV 5 years later.

Seems like DriveClub Plus edition will release when F2P DriveClub edition releases.

People sued about Killzone resolution, why not sue about this.

The Killzone case got thrown out "with prejudice" for being stupid. This would too.

le-seb

I was mostly addressing the fact that you were (seemingly) justifying the almost year delay with a couple cars and a few different tracks -- particularly when the retail value is already so small. I plan on getting the physical edition at some point.
I'm not justifying anything. I'm simply pointing out the fact that there's now more -and more varied- content in the PS+ Edition, and that it's probably all the good will you can expect from Sony, because they still want to sell you the game at the end of the day.

I'm not saying I've been bamboozled but it's bullshit that it's been delayed this long. You might have a point about things getting delayed if the full retail version hadn't been available for months by now. People are rightfully complaining that something they were promised has been delayed for a very prolonged period of time, with little to no explanation as to why.

Even if it's not the ONLY reason someone signed up for a service, it's their right to complain that part of the service they were promised has been absent for so long.

I thought they did give an explanation?

In any case, its a free country, everybody has the right to complain. My comment is a basically a complaint about the complainers.

All i'm saying is, whether we get DC or not PS Plus has delivered what its customers paid for. People that feel Evolution owes them, are 100% wrong. There's no driveclub clause in the PS Plus agreement when you sign up.

The "They owe me bcuz I pay for PS Plus" argument isnt valid.

If you're mad that you're paying for PS Plus and still dont have DC thats your own damn fault

They're even adding extra content (which they dont have to do), and ppl are saying "should be the full game". The entitlement is too much for me to bear

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I remember people using the Driveclub PS+ edition as a plus for getting the PS4. "I get a free racing game with the PS4 though..." Almost 2 years later and still no solid info.

Well to be fair, people used the Halo:MCC as a selling point for XBO a lot as well.

I thought they did give an explanation?

In any case, its a free country, everybody has the right to complain. My comment is a basically a complaint about the complainers.

All i'm saying is, whether we get DC or not PS Plus has delivered what its customers paid for. People that feel Evolution owes them, are 100% wrong. There's no driveclub clause in the PS Plus agreement when you sign up.

The "They owe me bcuz I pay for PS Plus" argument isnt valid.

If you're mad that you're paying for PS Plus and still dont have DC thats your own damn fault

They're even adding extra content (which they dont have to do), and ppl are saying "should be the full game". The entitlement is too much for me to bear
I don't see how it's any different then any other PS+ game. They promised me those every month like they promised us a PS+ edition of Drive Club.

Again, I'm not mad I'm paying for PS+, I'm mad that part of the reason I'm paying for PS+ isn't available over a year after they said it would be, and months after the delayed retail version has been released.

If Sony randomly decided next month that they couldn't give PS+ games and then over a year later we were still out a month of games, would you really be in here saying that no one should complain? Because it's the exact same situation. They said they'd give us a game, and they haven't given us a game.

I do agree about your point about people thinking that they should give the full game. That's ridiculous, they don't owe us anything more then what they said they would give us in the first place.

And yes, us paying for PS+ is the reason they owe us the PS+ edition of DriveClub, it was something they advertised as part of PS+, and they still haven't delivered. Therefore, anyone who is currently a PS+ member is owed the game they promised. That's about as dumb as saying that don't owe us online services even though we pay a yearly subscription to play online. PS+ has not fully delivered what they promised us, because since November 2013, we've been promised that a PS+ edition of DriveClub would be part of the service, and it's nowhere to be found.

The_Dama

I activated my PSN 1 year card the weekend before DriveClub came out because everyone assumed that the free edition would come out at the same time as the full version. I only activated it because of DC. Waste of 6 months of PSN for me.

I don't see how it's any different then any other PS+ game. They promise me those every month like they promised us a PS+ edition of Drive Club.

Again, I'm not mad I'm paying for PS+, I'm mad that part of the reason I'm paying for PS+ isn't available over a year after they said it would be.

If Sony randomly decided next month that they couldn't give PS+ games and then over a year later we were still out a month of games, would you really be in here saying that no one should complain? Because it's the exact same situation. They said they'd give us a game, and they haven't given us a game.

I do agree about your point about people thinking that they should give the full game. That's ridiculous, they don't owe us anything more then what they said they would give us in the first place.

Like you said they do owe the PS+ version but nothing more. However Sony or Evolution have never done anything to state that the plus version wasn't coming and was always due to server error and irregular updates stated clearly that it was still on the way. From the looks of things in the video the PS+ version will be released without online functionality initially and that it will be activated once the issues are solved as the original plus version online features were accessible. There were many people calling for this to happen and that looks to be exactly the case whilst they still sort it out, I wouldn't be surprised if online for the plus version was rolled out slowly for specific regions rather than activated all at once seeing how fucked up the server issues were.

Would you have preferred it to be released as broken and potentially never being fixed? Or would you prefer the plus edition to be released late but functional?

I don't see how it's any different then any other PS+ game. They promised me those every month like they promised us a PS+ edition of Drive Club.

Again, I'm not mad I'm paying for PS+, I'm mad that part of the reason I'm paying for PS+ isn't available over a year after they said it would be.

And yes, us paying for PS+ is the reason they owe us the PS+ edition of DriveClub, it was something they advertised as part of PS+, and they still haven't delivered. Therefore, anyone who is currently a PS+ member is owed the game they promised. That's about as dumb as saying that don't owe us online services even though we pay a yearly subscription to play online. PS+ has not fully delivered what they promised us, because since November 2013, we've been promised that a PS+ edition of DriveClub would be part of the service, and it's nowhere to be found.

We're going in circles with this debate. So i'm just gonna close with saying:

I hope you enjoy the PS Plus version when it drops

Like you said they do owe the PS+ version but nothing more. However Sony or Evolution have never done anything to state that the plus version wasn't coming and was always due to server error and irregular updates stated clearly that it was still on the way. From the looks of things in the video the PS+ version will be released without online functionality initially and that it will be activated once the issues are solved as the original plus version the online features were accessible. There were many people calling for this to happen and that looks to be exactly the case whilst they still sort it out, I wouldn't be surprised if online for the plus version was rolled out slowly for specific regions rather than activated all at once seeing how fucked up the server issues were.

Would you have preferred it to be released as broken and potentially never being fixed? Or would you prefer the plus edition to be released late but functional?
Just because someone complains about shitty service doesn't mean they want the problem fixed right away. People have every right to complain about Sony and Evolution's incompetence during this whole situation. It never should have been an issue in the first place, and since it still is, people are within every right to complain that it ever happened. Part of the reason people are complaining is because of how ridiculously long it's taken to fix, and that's a problem that is only growing.

This would be like saying that you shouldn't complain when your internet goes out for months on end. Sure, it might be really hard for the internet company to get your internet straightened out, but they're the fucking internet company and it's their obligation to provide you the internet you pay for. You shouldn't keep quiet just because it might be hard for the company to fix. Especially when the reason the internet is out in the first place is because of the incompetence of the internet company and not some outside factors.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I activated my PSN 1 year card the weekend before DriveClub came out because everyone assumed that the free edition would come out at the same time as the full version. I only activated it because of DC. Waste of 6 months of PSN for me.

You haven't at least tried the other games offered through PS+ in all that time?

As someone who's owned this since launch (and eventually grabbed the season pass) I'd be perfectly fine with evolution giving away the base game to plus members.

People who enjoy the game and want to expand it can get the DLC.

As someone who's owned this since launch (and eventually grabbed the season pass) I'd be perfectly fine with evolution giving away the base game to plus members.

People who enjoy the game and want to expand it can get the DLC.

Same. Give it away this fall, on the anniversary of DC or something. I paid $70 for the game at launch, but have no problem with them giving it for free to others a year later. It doesn't diminish my time or enjoyment with the game.

It will also boost the userbase/community and give a ton more people a chance to try it out. Those who fall in love with it will undoubtedly grab the season pass. Everyone wins

Curufinwe

I'm not justifying anything. I'm simply pointing out the fact that there's now more -and more varied- content in the PS+ Edition, and that it's probably all the good will you can expect from Sony, because they still want to sell you the game at the end of the day.

The base game's sales aren't going to move much now. What they should do is focus on selling the DLC.

le-seb

Oh yeah, really?

When are we going to get full retail Ps4 games? Infamous was great last month. I don't play indies.

Knack or Killzone would be great.
It looks like not everything has been wasted.

Arttemis

I bought the physical version for $16. The free version would have been nice and is long overdue, but the digital price is insane. $30 or less for the PSN version is the only reasonable price.

I'll wait for a PSN sale to get the season pass.

That's why I added the seemingly, not trying to come off as aggressive. I honestly expect that's all they'll include as well.

le-seb

Didn't want to sound pissed off, either. I'm not. :)

The base game's sales aren't going to move much now. What they should do is focus on selling the DLC.
The base game is quite meaty, so if you give it for free, chances are the DLC sales will be really low.
On the other hand, the PS+ Edition is just a bait. If you like the game, you'll want more, and the chances you'll buy the full game (be it physical or digital) will then be pretty high.

Rurunaki

Well to be fair, people used the Halo:MCC as a selling point for XBO a lot as well.

There wasn't an MCC Gold Edition that was promised though.

In my honest opinion, the PS+ Edition of Driveclub does not carry the same weight as it would have 6 months ago on its release date. At this point, it pretty much is just a DEMO if no incentive is added to entice people from buying the full version and thereby should not be advertised with the same intent as its original purpose it was announced for.

Will I try the demo? Yes. Am I disappointed from the delay? Yes. Shit happens and unfortunately Driveclub's thunder has passed. I'll be looking forward to GT in case it is shown at E3.

Blame rests on EVO entirely for me, not on Sony. Just hope like those who stated before this doesn't fuck up the servers for those who own it.

MMaRsu

Banned
You haven't at least tried the other games offered through PS+ in all that time?

Probably not, them indies man. Cheap as hell on Steam sales and honestly are they even real games? They all play the same you know

j/k

When are we going to get full retail Ps4 games? Infamous was great last month. I don't play indies.

Knack or Killzone would be great.

Lol so much ignorance. It looks like my sarcastic remark was right on the money. Indies is not a fucking genre dude. It's just made by way less people and isnt published by a huge publisher like EA or Ubisoft but that doesnt mean the games aren't quality in itself. I honestly hate it when people say this. You do know that games made by independant developers dont mean that they all play the same or are crap right?

Because thats kind of what you are saying indirectly. "I don't play indies'. So you hate games or wtf????

gypsygib

The Killzone case got thrown out "with prejudice" for being stupid. This would too.

Advertising a product to lead people to buy (or in the case of many activate) a service then not delivering the product. Sounds like grounds for something to me.

Draper

It's a no lose for me, if they wanna make good on their promise, sure, I'll try it and if I like it, I'll definitely buy it. But if they continue with their path of ignoring said promise, I just will never buy it. And let me throw out some arguments before I'm jumped on with them:

But the servers!
You don't deserve anything!
But the patch notes mean they aren't dicking us around!

autoduelist

Advertising a product to lead people to buy (or in the case of many activate) a service then not delivering the product. Sounds like grounds for something to me.

Sounds like grounds for a seriously lame lawsuit that, if not immediately thrown out of court and the lawyers and claimants publicly shamed, would illustrate everything wrong with the modern justice system, at least in the US.

It's a freaking delay for a partial game due to legitimate, unexpected server issues. It's a tiny fraction of the total sum of things you get for your ps+ membership. And it's just a delay. The very thought of suing over something so immaterial and pointless is gross beyond belief.

Top Bottom