• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drug kingpin Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán captured again

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

Weapons found in the operative:
1159_armas-halladas-en-el-operativo-de-la-marina_620x350.jpg

Source is in spanish of course.

I wonder where they're getting such heavy weaponry?

Which is replaced by smaller but ruthless groups that start to fight each other, akin Guerreros Unidos vs Los Rojos and the whole mess down at Morelos.

However, if mega-carters disappear their capability to bully Federal and State government would be conceivable diminished. I suspect this is part of the reason why they are now targeting local authorities, like the recent execution of Gisela Mota Ocampo.

That's an interesting take. It kind of sounds like how some countries destabilize after dictators are removed and end up worse off, only in this case it's a drug cartel leader rather than a political leader, which is nuts and goes to show you how much power these guys have. Hopefully Mexico doesn't follow the same path as a place like Iraq.

Busty

Banned
I'll start a thread to hatch a plan to break him out again.

If you're interested and you're experienced in blasting across the alkali flats in a jet-powered monkey-navigated...,

I've said too much.

PM me for the deets.

E92 M3

Someone form his organization must have sold him out. Can't imagine the Mexican government just found someone of his stature and power.

Dai101

Banned
they should just execute him, that way they are sure he won't escape

Yeah. Because death penalty is such a good crime deterrent.

Surprised that he didn't " died with a head shot while trying to escape" like Pablo Escobar, which in a sense is more worrying.

peña needs him alive. Otherwise how he can brag he captured him the next time there's a scandal to cover.

I wonder where they're getting such heavy weaponry?

Where else? the good ol' american guvment, the NRA and the clowns they support. Black markets and operations like fast and furious.

Also, the DEA and CIA have been caught providing intel to cartels in exchange for intel from them against their rivals.

appaws

Banned
I have a question.

So does this guy and his organization have support from regular people in Mexico? Sort of like an Al Capone did back in the day, where he was sort of a folk hero?

Dai101

Banned
I have a question.

So does this guy and his organization have support from regular people in Mexico? Sort of like an Al Capone did back in the day, where he was sort of a folk hero?

In his homeland, Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman has a reputation that differs from how the rest of the world sees him. In the Mexican state of Sinaloa, Guzman is not always seen as the world’s most wanted drug lord. Many poor residents see him as a folk hero.

http://www.chron.com/crime/article/El-Chapo-is-a-beloved-folk-hero-in-his-Mexican-6386265.php

Mr. Sevilla, an auto mechanic, was so excited that he attended a march through the streets of Culiacán, the capital of Mr. Guzmán’s home state, this week to celebrate. He carried a sign that a woman gave him, which read, “El Chapo is more of a president than Peña Nieto,” a reference to Mexico’s president, Enrique Peña Nieto.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/18/w...in-el-chapo-in-many-mexicans-hearts.html?_r=0

As the Mexican government tries to recapture Joaquin Guzman, some in his home state of Sinaloa see him as their saviour.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/07/chapo-world-wanted-drug-lord-folk-hero-150721195758493.html

Like many in L.A.’s Mexican community keeping up with the sensational case, Sinaloa native Pedro Camarena was not particularly shocked.

The 46-year-old grew up in Culiacán, the capital of Sinaloa, Mexico, where Guzman’s cartel is based. The story of Guzman’s rise from poverty to king of the cartels is legendary there. Almost as legendary as the Mexican government’s apparent ineptitude – or corruption -- when it comes to dealing with its worst criminals.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...ns-folk-hero-after-escape-20150713-story.html

and so and so

You tell me

And the peso just exploded to $18.50 per dollar and it ain't stopping...
tumblr_nn499efu7R1sh43kgo1_400.gif
/s

Oh and his not gonna be extradited because he got his legal "amparo".

If they send him to another "Mexican Super Max Prison"(lmao) he's just going to escape again. Hand this guy over to America(not happening) so we can lock the fucker away forever.

Damn, I was kind of hoping he'd stay gone. I like an underdog story.

You're rooting for the "underdog" that's responsible for thousands of deaths.

v1lla21

Yeah he has support from a few Mexicans. Funny how it's said that he's helped out his city and stuff but Univision did a report on it and he hasn't helped out at all. The only thing is that's it's rather quiet where his mother lives but they pretty much terrorize anyone who comes through. Do something they don't like? Dead.

Tesseract

Banned
just kill him, cut his head off and pike it somewhere near tijuana square

that's what i'd do right now, he's too evil

Quixzlizx

They get alot of it from us.

Where else? the good ol' american guvment, the NRA and the clowns they support. Black markets and operations like fast and furious.

Also, the DEA and CIA have been caught providing intel to cartels in exchange for intel from them against their rivals.

You can legally buy machine guns and RPGs in the US? I guess I'm missing out because I live in a blue state : (

smurfx

get some go again
Some other savage asshole is probably just going to step into his place so it's hard to even feel happy about this.
hell i wonder if it was somebody from his inner circle that tipped off the authorities. with him out of the way somebody else gets to take over.

Wow.

He was my neighbor then.

I live barely 50 meters, or so away.

EDIT: nice Peña "municipio (County) of Los Mochis" nice, 8 days without making a fool of yourself I see. The "municipio" (County) is called Ahome, you fool.

Eila

I thought this dude had money.

He's crazy elusive. He was living in some shitty shack in the horrible Durango sierra cold until recently. He was almost captured so he fled to Los Mochis, where he was caught.
http://tv.milenio.com/policia/refugio-Chapo-Sierra-Durango_3_617368292.html - tour around the house starts at about 4:00.
All the older drug lords live like that. It's the young ones that live luxurious lives touring the world that get captured or killed.
There's like four leaders of the Sinaloa Cartel, and they're all old men like in their sixties.

appaws

Banned

Thanks for the thorough answer. Wow. I guess that is a normal thing for people in certain communities. I grew up on the west side of Chicago where Al Capone was from. There were a lot of old people, mostly Italian American but not all, who still talked in glowing terms about what Al did for the community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom