• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS survives trip to Mt. Everest

MrFortyFive

Jeez I had just finished my Sophomore year of high school... Looking at a release calendar, it looks like I was playing some Kirby Canvas Curse and getting pumped for Meteos at the end of the month. That was a good month for the DS.

I remembered that article, and my first thought was "old."

Then i looked again.

Damn, I didn't think it was THAT long ago.

Now I feel old. :(

When this thread was originally made, I was not a member of neogaf, I'd graduated university 3 1/2years previous, and I was 6 months into the job I still have (which has had responsibilities altered drastically due to software upgrades and new state statutes concerning Medicaid and Social Security).

Actually it was about then I'd bought my DS as the DSlite came out around that time if memory serves.

So, PS2, PC, Xbox, GC, and DS. Probably playing New Super Mario Bros

Cody_D165

Banned
Christ a necrobump from GBA/early DS era.

What a time that was. Did some Googling and Pokemon Emerald, WarioWare Twisted, and Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones were still pretty new around the time this thread was posted... I was probably engrossed in one of those. I love the fucking GBA.

njean777

That is the one thing about nintendo hardware that is awesome. I have the 3ds and it feels like it can survive a war and then some. I have dropped it, banged it, and all out general abuse and it still performs like a champ. It does have a dent in it on the side, but aside from that it works perfectly.

Jachaos

I was finishing my first year of high school. I was 12. Pretty sure I was playing Megaman Battle Network, Halo 2, Melee, GTA San Andreas, Pokémon among other games. I have no idea what I was playing for my DS though. My first games were Spiderman 2 and Asphalt Urban GT and Mario 64 DS (had finished a lot of 64 games but never that one, didn't grab me as much as Mario Kart 64 or Ocarina of Time when I was 6). But I don't think I was playing those anymore. Maybe Lost in Blue? Feel the Magic? Maybe just messing around in PictoChat? Maybe GoldenEye? Man the DS library was pretty bad before that Nintendogs/BrainAge/Mario Kart/Animal Crossing blast.

Garou

I am reading this thread on an iPhone, which was nothing but a rumored iPod with touchscreen when this thread was created.

Camp Lo

Banned
wkldkoU.jpg

Context: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=861451

LOL holy shit.

pirata

Fantastic necrobump!

Also, when this thread was made...I was 14 years old, just about to turn 15. I was just getting into reading about video games, was posting in the Zelda Universe Forums about how much I was eagerly awaiting Twilight Princess (probably the most hyped I've ever been or ever will be for a game...Persona 5 is up there, but that's more of a wistful longing at this point
or a five-and-a-half-year case of video game blue balls
).

I would discover GAF less than a year later through a member of ZU who also posted on GAF (him showing me the Bommzaldroppenton thread and my finding it hilarious), but it wouldn't be until 2009 that I got my own account.

I've just realized that I've been posting on GAF now for most of NeoGAF's existance (2005 forward). And I always think of myself as one of the newer and younger posters...You people talking about being in elementary school in 2005 are making me feel...not as young as I used to be.

ChrisD

When this thread was made, no one knew what a Wii was.

And now you've made a teenager feel old.

On the topic of what condition our original DS's are in, the batteries in mine went bad, and the charge port won't work. However, if you put a new battery in manually it will run without a hitch.

Too bad the 3DS dropped the quality so much. Before then only the DS Lite every really had system-wide issues with their iffy hinges.

Hindl

Oh man middle school flashbacks from this thread date. I wasn't even aware of gaf and was ignoring the DS, probably playing melee still.

still am playing melee. Still a scrub

nordique

missed this story before

wow!

edit: I love how the bump has yielded more replies than the original thread, 9 years later ... haha

EulaCapra

I'm pretty sure back in 2005 people were still using rotary phones, using blimps as mass transportation, and people were not watching the second and third seasons of Arrested Development.

This bump makes me yearn for my 2005 youth. :cries:

Legendary bump. Laughed out loud when I saw the last post was in 2005.

So, what was everyone up to when this thread was posted?

I was a dorky high school virgin who spent most of his free time playing World of Warcraft.

Now I'm 25 with a college degree, decent job and a sexy Latina girlfriend, so remember kids it gets better after high school.

Pikma

Banned
man I was 12 when the thread was made, I think I was still playing Animal Crossing and the godlike F ZERO GX at the time. I gave up gaming a few months later and didn't come back until 2008

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Flawless bump. Funny thing is that 9 years ago I was kinda "done" with vidya. Little did I know.

The 0451

Neo Member
This is a misleading prize. I've just looked into the terms and conditions and the winner goes to Everest base camp, not to the top of the mountain.

I did this trek in May this year along with the thousands of others who do it each year. Gorak Shep, a small village 1 hour from base camp has WiFi access so its not hard to play video games there.

Top Bottom