• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DSi region locked regular DS games, WTF?

So I just bought Sonic DS Collection thing locally and it wont freaking work on my DSi cause its the wrong region apparently.

I had NO idea 'regular DS games' were doing this, why don't they have a DSi message and crap all over the cover warning me? So I checked the back and right down the bottom in tiny writing amongst all the copyright shit it says zomg yo, this region game will only work on Euro/Aus DSi.... lolz!

How am I supposed to know to look for that tiny warning if I had no idea they were locking regular DS games and shit out???

So apparently Sonic DS Collection is a regular DS game but it can use the DSi for something, faster emulator cause of the faster processor?

Yes DSi only games have been around a bit, but a warning or something on the cover of your regular DS games that I'm buying assuming they are safe would be nice.

Such BS Nintendo, why can't you keep the friggin' DSiWare stores separate if you really must but leave physical copies alone!

They better not do this for 3DS..... ;( they totally are going to aren't they?

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
You didn't know that?

It was announced when the DSi was released.

Yes I knew DSi stuff was region specific. I didn't know I had to check the fine print now of all the regular DS games I buy incase they use the DSi for who knows what.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Conrad Link said:
Yes I knew DSi stuff was region specific. I didn't know I had to check the fine print of all the regular DS games I buy incase they use the DSi for who knows what.

Every Game that can use DSi functions is region locked.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
For whatever reason Sega has made that game one of these 'DSi Enhanced' titles and well not put any enhancements for the DSi in it.

All of Ubisoft's DS titles are now this.

Sucks.

Yeah, I noticed that too.

4r9fg4.jpg

The game doesn't have any DSi functions, so it seems like SEGA put this on a DSi-enhanced cartridge just for the sole purpose of region locking, which doesn't bode well for their future DS games I guess.

Edit: beaten ;)

Conrad Link said:
They better not do this for 3DS..... ;( they totally are going to aren't they?

Yup, they will do. Nintendo loves having complete control over their release schedule, that way they can choose not to release any of it and nobody can circumvent that by importing. It's been going since the Gamecube days when they tried to shut down any UK importer selling Animal Crossing, even though they had no intention of bringing it over (at the time).

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Yeah, it's total bullshit that they don't have a logo on the box that says 'DSi enhanced'. I almost bought a UK copy of Alice in Wonderland before I found out it had DSi stuff (I have a US DSi). Nintendo is becoming extremely obnoxious with the region locking. Why do no so called 'journalists' ever ask them about it? In the past they have been very liberal with the handheld locking, you'd think a massive U-turn like that would be of interest.

VOOK said:
For whatever reason Sega has made that game one of these 'DSi Enhanced' titles and well not put any enhancements for the DSi in it.

Sucks.

Fucking hell, that's even worse. Why even bother?

Corto

I guess that Nintendo is relying on the fact that those that shop for games outside of their region should be knowledgeable enough to know of that limitation. But it's a complete annoyance for sure...

Rufus

VOOK said:

Sucks.
Sega and Ubisoft, continuing to make themselves popular I see...

Plasma

Banned
Argh I hope the 3DS does support other regions, I'm from the UK but I picked up a DSLite and a load of games while I was out in the US.

VOOK

Ushojax said:
Why do no so called 'journalists' ever ask them about it? In the past they have been very liberal with the handheld locking, you'd think a massive U-turn like that would be of interest.

No point in me asking, Nintendo Australia have nothing to do with it. US, UK and Japan media must just not give enough of a shit.

RandomVince said:
Hmmm, just to confirm, older DS games (eg Ouendan) will still work on an Aus DSi?

Yeah older DS games are fine.

I guess I just missed the memo about the new regular DS ones all sneaking in there and locking shit out without a proper warning.

Leave it to Nintendo to find a way of making me want to go BACK to my old system, good ol' faithful DS Lite to avoid their BS.

>_>

Tiduz

Eurogaime
region locking is worse than horse armor. i truly despise both but region locking is just born from the ass of satan.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Tiduz said:
region locking is worse than horse armor. i truly despise both but region locking is just born from the ass of satan.

TBH I'm shocked that Nintendo don't IP lock their online stores. I guess that would be too much even for Nintendo, they don't seem to want to totally crush the hardcore fans, just make it so they have to buy one console per region.

Danielsan

I did not know this either.
Sticking with my DS lite regardless.
Fuck region locking. That archaic shit needs to end.

dani_dc

Pretty shit of Sega to stealth-release a DSi-"Enanched" game, was one of my fears when they announced DSi-enanched games, the release of "enanched" games just for the sake of region locking.

It's pretty depressing seeing nintendo go a step-back on this, especially since they decided on no-region locking for the Gameboy exactly due to it's portable nature so people could buy and play games on the go without worries.

Really ridiculous that you don't hear any media pressuring Nintendo about this.

VOOK

Tell you what guys, I'll fire off a email to Sega and Ubisoft and see if I can get anything out of them at least.

[Nintex]

Iwata: "So after the meeting Mr. Wada told me we had to do something about software pirates..."

Takeda: "Yes I remember that, so we proposed to install the region lock!"

Iwata: "But it wasn't just any region lock right?"

Takeda: "No not at all it was really special this time around!"

Takeda: "It was quite a challenge to decide what software should be region locked and I spend days playing obscure games from all over the world."

Iwata: "You even handpicked some titles?" (laughs)

Takeda: "Yes, that's what I like about working at Nintendo, the amazing attention for every detail and the freedom that we have to work on such features."

Iwata: "I really like how each DSi becomes special in its own way, like European gamers can only play certain European games and Japanese players can only play certain Japanese games."

Takeda: "It's really exciting to go online and talk to your friends from all over the world to see what they're playing!"

Iwata: "You could even send them a Flipnote to describe the game!" (laughs)

*Flipnote Studio - Exclusive Free DSi software that allows you to create simple animations and messages. You can even share them online!

Takeda: "Exactly!"

Minamu

I guess I won't be buying that many 3DS games later on then. I have more imported games for my regular DS Lite than ones I've bought locally. If I can't import games I like, Nintendo gets less money. How can that not be a concern as well? o_O

swerve

Is there a piracy benefit to DSi Enhanced Carts?

I mean... why do they do it? There must be some benefit to make it worth their time.

Sucks.

Woha, I hope this is not getting out of hand, because this region locking bullshit will be even worse when I am, inevitably, going to upgrade to the 3DS and the backwards compatibility will not work with any of the imports I bought in the DSL era.

VOOK

[Nintex] said:

Sickening, got a link?

swerve said:
Is there a piracy benefit to DSi Enhanced Carts?

I mean... why do they do it? There must be some benefit to make it worth their time.

Apparently do take longer to crack, but still do in the end.

swerve

I remain optimistic that 3DS will be significantly more piracy proofed after the DS debacle, and that Nintendo will go back to unlocked handhelds.

Before now they've explicitly said that they like people to be able to buy a game in an airport anywhere and play it on any of their handheld systems. I reckon the DSi alterations were to appease publishers who were deserting DS due to piracy.

Although I can't quite work out how the region lock helps the piracy issue yet.

Yagharek

I would expect that DS games of the old variety will work on 3DS systems (they better!) but DSi cards with a region code will end up only working on region of origin systems.

Its not exactly an ideal predicament - one of the best things about DS is being able to import some of the obscure japanese games like Ouendan and Electroplankton.

Minamu said:
I guess I won't be buying that many 3DS games later on then. I have more imported games for my regular DS Lite than ones I've bought locally. If I can't import games I like, Nintendo gets less money. How can that not be a concern as well? o_O

You can still do that, but you'll need to import a 3DS too, to play the games on. Which is more money for Nintendo. Come on, you know you'll want a gold plated Hello Kitty limited Edition Japanese 3DS to go along with ordinary one you'll be buying.

ampere

The only non-US regular DS games I have purchased are Jump Superstars and Jump Ultimate Stars, but dang... I see this really being rough on the Europeans and Australians who like to play games on time with the rest of us :( That sucks

[Nintex] said:
Incredible, way to lighten the mood :lol :lol

VOOK

The worst thing is, I have one of these games. And apart from the "DSi enhanced" badge, it says absolutely nothing about being region locked on the case or the manual

dsi_region_2.jpg

dsi_region_3.jpg

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
[Nintex] said:

I hope that's not a real transcript because:

1.) Region locking and software piracy prevention are as closely related as farting is to Moon phases, i.e. not really related at all.

Edit: no wait... bad comparison... region locking is actually a motivation for many to look into methods of bypassing it and such methods usually also allow users to pirate software. So, in a way, region locking helps user discover ways to pirate content.

2.) I do not want to get too angry reading stuff like

Iwata: "I really like how each DSi becomes special in its own way, like European gamers can only play certain European games and Japanese players can only play certain Japanese games."

... makes me really pissed off...

And...

Takeda: "It's really exciting to go online and talk to your friends from all over the world to see what they're playing!"

and then what? Mock them because they live in a region where your overlord decided not to let them play the same game you get to play now?

Edit: ok... it was made up.. still got me in my Lewis Black-like rage mood...

gerg

Panajev2001a said:

[Nintex] is fast becoming the new AniHawk with these transcripts. :lol

Edit: no wait... bad comparison... region locking is actually a motivation for many to look into methods of bypassing it and such methods usually also allow users to pirate software. So, in a way, region locking helps user discover ways to pirate content.

I don't think that's really true. People willing to play with their hardware for illegal reasons won't need region locking as some kind of motivator.

jarosh

VOOK said:

Sucks.
is this really confirmed? all new ubisoft ds titles are dsi "enhanced" aka region locked now?

VOOK

jarosh said:
is this really confirmed? all new ubisoft ds titles are dsi "enhanced" aka region locked now?

I only have Classic Word Games, and yes it doesn't work on my Japanese DSi.

Other Ubisoft games I can't speak for, but the ones with DSi enhanced lableling will be the same.

Even Assassins Creed 2 has it, you can put your face on wanted posters in the game. However I haven't seen the box for that.

jarosh

VOOK said:
I only have Classic Word Games, and yes it doesn't work on my Japanese DSi.

Other Ubisoft games I can't speak for, but the ones with DSi enhanced lableling will be the same.

Even Assassins Creed 2 has it, you can put your face on wanted posters in the game. However I haven't seen the box for that.
right. well, i figured the officially dsi enhanced ones would be locked (even though it's bs) but i was wondering about their other, regular ds games...

well, i'll check if i can find a recent ubisoft game next time i go to a gamestop or something, see if it has that same disclaimer sega put on the sonic box. man, this is all such bullshit.

VOOK

jarosh said:
right. well, i figured the officially dsi enhanced ones would be locked (even though it's bs) but i was wondering about their other, regular ds games...

well, i'll check if i can find a recent ubisoft game next time i go to a gamestop or something, see if it has that same disclaimer sega put on the sonic box. man, this is all such bullshit.

Try Avatar, that doesn't have any markings on it either.

slaughterking said:
Woha, I hope this is not getting out of hand, because this region locking bullshit will be even worse when I am, inevitably, going to upgrade to the 3DS and the backwards compatibility will not work with any of the imports I bought in the DSL era.

I'm not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure ordinary NDS games have no region info on them at all. Meaning that the 3DS won't be able to read the region even if it wants to...

wsippel

Banned
To tell DSi and DS games apart, just look at the product code: If it starts with "NTR", it's a DS game and region free. It it starts with "TWL", it's DSi enhanced and region locked. The product code is on the front cover for the Japanese version, and on the back for EU and US versions.

VOOK said:
Try Avatar, that doesn't have any markings on it either.
DSi enhanced and therefore region locked (US version: TWL-P-VAVE).

VOOK

wsippel said:
To tell DSi and DS games apart, just look at the product code: If it starts with "NTR", it's a DS game and region free. It it starts with "TWL", it's DSi enhanced and region locked.

Shouldn't have to go that far.

jarosh

wsippel said:
To tell DSi and DS games apart, just look at the product code: If it starts with "NTR", it's a DS game and region free. It it starts with "TWL", it's DSi enhanced and region locked.
sadly that's not true:

4r9fg4.jpg

NTR-005, still region locked.

so at least now we know that the sonic collection cartridge is a plain old ntr (regular ds) game, yet is STILL somehow region locked (on dsi systems). oh my.

Top Bottom