• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualShock 4 is becoming a rare item.

Jaysen

Banned
I bought two purple DualShocks last year. Sucks I can’t use them for ps5 games but they work great on Switch. Unfortunately I think the Dualsense is a bad controller, but Sony forces its usage by blocking the DualShock, so I have no choice.

CamHostage

If it's legitimately the Micro USB slot failing and nothing else, then getting your hands on an official Charging Station unit for DS4/PS4 should fix your problem.

I'll do you one better, maybe: go for "wireless" charging.

The difference is, once you plug this little USB adapter of the Charging System kit into your DualShock (which you would never remove once put in,) from then on every time you go to charge, you place it on the Charging Pins rather than plugging and yanking a wire. USB wear-and-tear is minimal, you'll never miss the USB port anyway (have there been any accessories that plug into the DualShock USB port?), and wireless charging just feels elegant and futuristic. Sure, it's a little inefficient as a charger, but if you have multiple controllers, you'll be charged well before the next one is dead, plus you'll always remember to leave it in the charger because it just feels satisfying to put it down in its slumber bed after gaming and see the charging light pop on...

There may be charger adapters out there for PS4 that use the more traditional Wireless Qi standard used for cellphones (Sony itself was toying with the concept for a PS5 add-on,) but the little pin-based adapter here is small and simple IMO, and once you have a drop-and-walk-away wireless charging system, you'll love it forever. My PSP had a Charging Dock that you just set the system in and it touched pins just like this, and it was heavenly!

(In fact, the PS5 DualSense has charging pins, just like this add-on, which means that even though USB-C is way easier and hopefully less fragile than Micro-USB, a Charging Station could eliminate your rampant USB connection failure issues for good with the next-gen controller.)

PS5%20Charger_Product%20Hero1.1_900x900

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
i bet before dualsense, you were defending dualshock 4 😆
NEVER

No seriously no, my trigger break when I just had Killzone: Shadowfall to play and few shitty PS + titles. Going from X360 it made me miss microsoft shaped controllers really badly.

Zones

I'll do you one better, maybe: go for "wireless" charging.

The difference is, once you plug this little USB adapter of the Charging System kit into your DualShock (which you would never remove once put in,) from then on every time you go to charge, you place it on the Charging Pins rather than plugging and yanking a wire. USB wear-and-tear is minimal, you'll never miss the USB port anyway (have there been any accessories that plug into the DualShock USB port?), and wireless charging just feels elegant and futuristic. Sure, it's a little inefficient as a charger, but if you have multiple controllers, you'll be charged well before the next one is dead, plus you'll always remember to leave it in the charger because it just feels satisfying to put it down in its slumber bed after gaming and see the charging light pop on...

There may be charger adapters out there for PS4 that use the more traditional Wireless Qi standard used for cellphones (Sony itself was toying with the concept for a PS5 add-on,) but the little pin-based adapter here is small and simple IMO, and once you have a drop-and-walk-away wireless charging system, you'll love it forever. My PSP had a Charging Dock that you just set the system in and it touched pins just like this, and it was heavenly!

(In fact, the PS5 DualSense has charging pins, just like this add-on, which means that even though USB-C is way easier and hopefully less fragile than Micro-USB, a Charging Station could eliminate your rampant USB connection failure issues for good with the next-gen controller.)

PS5%20Charger_Product%20Hero1.1_900x900
This wouldn't work for OP though, because the Micro USB slot of his DS4 controllers are already busted, and because this charging method would still need the Micro USB for the adapter, it would do him no good.

To my knowledge, only the official DS4 charging station uses the bottom pins to charge controllers, so assuming that defective Micro USB is indeed the source of his problems, then I think that the official DS4 charging station is the only option in this case.

Pejo

Gold Member
I've gone through so many of these things due to the microUSB connection failing and once again I am at this point. Need to find another one but they're sold out in all the stores around me and Amazon. Is this Sony's shitty idea to get people to buy PS5 only? I already have a PS5 and can't even use my spare DualShock 5 on PS4...
Finally, a brother-in-arms. I use my DS4 on PC, and they constantly fuck up MicroUSB cables, it makes no goddamn sense. I found that even though it feels like it's the DS4 most times, buying a cheap 10 pack of microUSB cables on amazon was the easy fix. I just use them for a few months until they crap out, then replace it. One of my DS4s have started blinking the controller light constantly when not in use, so it might be time to retire that one to the trash. Or I guess i can just go in and shut off the controller light.

Good hope to sell my sealed ones for profit someday lol. Don't give a shit about 'em now that ps5 is out.

It's a good controller but the battery life is horrid! Hopefully the dualsense gets its issues ironed out.

rofif

Banned
See that's the point about built in battery... All ds4 in the future will die and there might be no Chinese batteries to save em

Ceadeus

Yeah I was lucky enough to order a berry blue DS4.

You could always get a third party controller like hORI or something. It's weird how Sony make it difficult to find and buy a controller and on the other hand, you can buy a brand new duke controller for your Xbox.

CamHostage

This wouldn't work for OP though, because the Micro USB slot of his DS4 controllers are already busted, and because this charging method would still need the Micro USB for the adapter, it would do him no good.

To my knowledge, only the official DS4 charging station uses the bottom pins to charge controllers, so assuming that defective Micro USB is indeed the source of his problems, then I think that the official DS4 charging station is the only option in this case.

Oh sure, that's why I was suggesting in a previous post, rebuilt the Micro USB first (or buy a new DualShock,) then protect it by converting to a Wireless Charging system. Rebuild kits are cheap and look easy, so I think that's worth a try to get it back to original functionality, whichever solution you reach for.

Funny, I knew that EXT port was on the DualShock 4, but I never thought of it as a charging port. I just assumed it was for old Headphone+Mic combos or the Keyboard attachment like with DualShock.

I should have looked at DarkestHour's port more closely though, because the official DS4 Charging Station does use that port for charging, without modification or an add-on. So... yeah, go that route. You still have to kind "plug in" to get the contacts to start charging though (the DualSense has the good sense to put the charging pins right on the surface) so eventually you could also break the EXT port connectors as well, I suppose.

dualsense-headphone-jack-image-block-01-en-02jul20

Also, it's not as smooth as just dropping the controller into a magnetically-guided cradle or placing the controller on a Qi pad, but whatever level luxury fixes your functionality problem is fine.

Last edited:

CamHostage

BTW, there are Wireless Qi adapters out there if somebody wanted to go that route and cut away the USB cord. They're fairly obtrusive dongles (because Qi charging requires a lot of surface area for the coils to send induction charging signal,) but the charging pads would be anything you use with your cellphone, so it'd be as simple as drop-and-charge for anybody who augmented their controllers with one of these. They make them for both PlayStation and Xbox.

(Incidentally, there is not a real good Qi wireless charging solution for Switch yet, weirdly. You can get a standard Qi coil and build it into a case ala this Kevin Kenson Switch Wireless Charging Mod video, and there's a stupidly expensive Switch Controller Wireless Charging Grips, but those two methods probably aren't worth the trouble, and also aren't what we're talking about...)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I've gone through so many of these things due to the microUSB connection failing and once again I am at this point. Need to find another one but they're sold out in all the stores around me and Amazon. Is this Sony's shitty idea to get people to buy PS5 only? I already have a PS5 and can't even use my spare DualShock 5 on PS4...
Always Sunny Fx GIF

Banned
Good, shitty controller like that belongs to history. Good thing is DualSense is way better.

if only it was compatible with the PS4 tho... sadly there is no alternative right now. and no, third party controllers are not a good alternative.
even the supposedly good ones suck ass and are only called good by people with very low standards. Input lag, wrong sensitivity curves, terrible buttons/dpads/sticks, etc.
there's not a single good third party controller out there.

Razer controllers suck ass, all of them, one worse than the next.
Nacon are dogshit with their awful trigger shape and most of them have input lag (some got a software update others didn't), Power A controllers have a shitty sensitivity curve that doesn't ramp up smoothly...

if only Sony wasn't so fucked and made the damn DualSense compatible... but that's not gonna happen because why would it? they can't even be arsed to patch 1440p into their stupid OS on Pro and PS5 even tho it would take less than a fucking minute to do so.

Last edited:

Banned
Is this true? I can buy some DS4s to use on my old PS3? I wondered if I'll ever be able to use it once my controller dies.

the PS3 has generic Direct Input drivers. this means any Direct Input usb controller has the potential to work on a PS3. the DualShock 4 and the Dualsense both happen to use Direct Input.

the issue is generic Direct Input drivers do not see any special features of the controllers. this means no Rumble, no Sixaxis and the Home Button will not work.

furthermore not every PS3 game supports Direct Input controllers. Yakuza 5 for example will not work with a Direct Input controller so this will not be playable with a DualShock 4 or DualSense.

I don't know if there is a list out there of games that do not detect Direct Input controllers, but there might be.

just know that this is not a full replacement option for a PS3 controller and only a nice to have addition to your PS3 which can be used by many games

ManaByte

Gold Member

They were hard to find starting this time last year. I got a TLOU2 one when my launch one finally broke. Then when Sony got some in Ps Direct I got a normal one as a backup.

Dr. Suchong

I've fixed a couple of mine myself.
Ergonomically sound, but certainly aren't built to last.
I couldn't get hold of one last year. I assumed it was due to the Pandemic.
Still £50 too! What a rip!

HE1NZ

Banned
I don't know how people ruin their controllers. I still have 2 DS2s, 2 DS3s and 2 DS4s and they all work perfectly.

Both of mine (year 1 PS4) still work perfectly but I think it’s partly that I hated the DS4 so only used my PS4 for exclusives so probably very low use on them despite the age.

Dual sense is the biggest upgrade to a Sony controller in terms of ergonomics I’ve experienced and I’ve had every PS console except PS2.

Can also pair it with an android phone if using remote play. I've never tried with IPhone.
Tbh, I've never used remote and don't know much about it. Didn't you use to be able to use a PSP at some point?

the PS3 has generic Direct Input drivers. this means any Direct Input usb controller has the potential to work on a PS3. the DualShock 4 and the Dualsense both happen to use Direct Input.

the issue is generic Direct Input drivers do not see any special features of the controllers. this means no Rumble, no Sixaxis and the Home Button will not work.

furthermore not every PS3 game supports Direct Input controllers. Yakuza 5 for example will not work with a Direct Input controller so this will not be playable with a DualShock 4 or DualSense.

I don't know if there is a list out there of games that do not detect Direct Input controllers, but there might be.

just know that this is not a full replacement option for a PS3 controller and only a nice to have addition to your PS3 which can be used by many games
Interesting information. I haven't touched my PS3 in many years, but thought about setting it up on another TV for some nostalgia. I've actually got a boxed DS3 but it's quite old at probably over 10 years and am worried at how long the battery can last. I remember my PSP battery inflated and became unusable. A lot of people hate it, but Xbox using AA batteries I think is a good thing.

Arcane0ne

DS4 sucks, mine was failing randomly. The right analog had drifting. The gamepad was almost new but it was unusable for some games and I sold it at the store I bought it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
and nothing of value was lost.

worst playstation controller ever. had no build quality issues with mine but it's just a god damn awful controller.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
My launch DS4 died while I was playing Spiderman last summer. It was the last PS4 game I intended to play on PS4 and the controller shit the bed in the middle of it. Some buttons stopped working, then one of the sticks did. I rarely used my PS4 so it was extra aggravating. I got a cheap 3rd party one that got me through the rest of the game but it flaked out on me a few times. Sony sucks at making controllers. But hey, the whole PS4 will self-destruct when the CMOS battery dies so fuck anyone who intends to keep this obsolete system, right?

ANIMAL1975

I managed to sell my age worn-out rubber grips for €434,279 (the pair of course) in Christie's last auction.

NickFire

Once you find some consider the charger that you place / push down on. I stopped using a cable to charge my controllers years ago and never had a single issue with the microUSB connection since,

Guy Legend

You can't buy a ps4 system either.

I don't think Sony has stopped manufacturing PS4 hardware. Just shortage of supply and strong gaming demand. All console hardware last and current gen is hard to come by.

drotahorror

I fuckin hate micro-usb. ALWAYS lay your controller flat and never let that cord have any sort of stress on it if it's connected. Best to lay your controller flat and let the cord end hang off something if you have to have it plugged in.

I got the dualsense charging station. Not dealing with charging cables this time around.

Top Bottom