• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualShock 4 is becoming a rare item.

DarkestHour

Banned
I've gone through so many of these things due to the microUSB connection failing and once again I am at this point. Need to find another one but they're sold out in all the stores around me and Amazon. Is this Sony's shitty idea to get people to buy PS5 only? I already have a PS5 and can't even use my spare DualShock 5 on PS4...

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Sony does this every generation it sucks they stop making the controllers like a year before the new system comes out

I stocked up on a few DS4's like a year ago(they were getting harder to find even back then) didn't want another DS3 situation where I had a stack of broken ones and had to use PC controllers via USB (I refuse to buy used controllers)

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Fuck Sony meng

3lIa.gif

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
My Dualshock has died and I was hoping to pick one up on sale so I can use my Playstation VR headset on PS5 but I've been pretty stuck. I cant bring myself to paying full price just to play the odd VR game.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
My DualShock 4 that came with my PS4 Pro is still working flawlessly after 4 years. My PS5 DualSense got stick drift after 1 month.
Interesting, what I encountered during PS4 > PS4 Pro era. Bad ergonomic (subjective), bad battery life, peeling sticks, broken trigger on 3 separate controllers, 1 occasions when button stopped responding, light glowing on TV and minor inconveniences like that. I still have white OG X1 controller working flawlessly since 2015.

Dual Sense is something I only tried, but sees like did more things right, at least what my brother has sad and how it felt in my hand. Also that haptics :chef_kiss:

Zones

I've gone through so many of these things due to the microUSB connection failing and once again I am at this point. Need to find another one but they're sold out in all the stores around me and Amazon. Is this Sony's shitty idea to get people to buy PS5 only? I already have a PS5 and can't even use my spare DualShock 5 on PS4...
If it's legitimately the Micro USB slot failing and nothing else, then getting your hands on an official Charging Station unit for DS4/PS4 should fix your problem.

v_iHuGi

Banned
i loved the DualShock 4, was a huge set up from previous versions apart from battery which was terrible.

With that said, DualSense is light years ahead so RIP DS4.

Soodanim

I must have been lucky with my DS4 v1. Been a few years now, and the USB port hasn't failed not have I had stick drift worth noting (PC, calibration tools to check). Slightly off-centre, but game dead zones account for that don't they? Software can, at least. I have however had the d-pad membrane go, but that was just a case of ordering a replacement from any of the usual sites. While it was opened up I also stuck in a new, double capacity battery so it can last me even longer.

Edit: A local site near me has them in stock, including the Midnight Blue colour I like so much. Tempted to get it, just in case.

Last edited:

*Nightwing

Just OCD, but ever since the original white DS4 came out I been using and keeping a backup on hand. Learnt my lesson with the when my white DS3 died and I couldn’t find a new replacement ended up getting a black one and swapping the internal components between the 2 to keep my white one as my main.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I think I just must be incredibly lucky with my DS4s. I have 4 of them and only one has reduced battery life, the rest are perfect. Over the years I've had a couple of DS2s go out on my, and several DS3s/Sixaxis that only work while connected, but never an official controller from PS1 or PS4 (knock on wood). What happens to the USB connection?

HotPocket69

Banned

You can’t go to a GameStop or Best Buy or a Target and pick one up?

Edit: Just saw all stores were checked. That’s fucked up.

Last edited:
Are you eating them or something?

Because I don't really believe that in normal use, you wear out that many controllers.
Depends what you consider "normal" use.

I have over 100 platinums in some of the most grinding games in existence. My controllers are never "normal" used in terms of duration. I never had such problems with dualshock 2, 3 or any of the GameCube, Wii, Switch or Xbox 360/X1 controllers ever. Dualshock 4 is just horrendous. So far knock on wood Dualsense is ok. But then again I barely touch my PS5 nowadays beause I am too busy with work or just play my Series X.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Dualshock 3 was always superior.

No needless touchbar and Start/Select on comfortable positions.
An easy substitute for the slippery triggers and thumb colliding stick placement of the Dualshock 3.

Redlancet

Banned
Depends what you consider "normal" use.

I have over 100 platinums in some of the most grinding games in existence. My controllers are never "normal" used in terms of duration. I never had such problems with dualshock 2, 3 or any of the GameCube, Wii, Switch or Xbox 360/X1 controllers ever. Dualshock 4 is just horrendous. So far knock on wood Dualsense is ok. But then again I barely touch my PS5 nowadays beause I am too busy with work or just play my Series X.
i got 5 dual shock 4 and all working fine,even the first ps4 launch ones,got two xbox elite controllers and both broke in months,the series x controller left thumper is giving me problems,so tell me more about quality controls

Last edited:
i got 5 dual shock 4 and all working fine,even the first ps4 launch ones,got two xbox elite controllers and both broke in months,the series x controller left thumper is giving me problems,so tell me more about quality controls
I think its a numbers game man. Never had issues with any Xbox controllers. I

Redlancet

Banned
I think its a numbers game man. Never had issues with any Xbox controllers. I
no,its just personal experiences who doesnt have any real world repercusions,besides i dont believe you,and you are free to dont believe me,this kind of threads are just cannon fodder to the console warsm,and people who exagerate defects on the rival console controller

ssringo

Is it actually the micro USB port failing? For mine I thought it was the ports failing but turned out they just suck ass and push the pins down on the cable which causes connection issues. Popping the pins back up with a knife or buying a new cable solved the issue for me. It's still a shitty design

Last edited:
no,its just personal experiences who doesnt have any real world repercusions,besides i dont believe you,and you are free to dont believe me,this kind of threads are just cannon fodder to the console warsm,and people who exagerate defects on the rival console controller

I don't give a fuck if you believe me or not. Not really sure what I would gain out of shitting on dualshock 4 controllers. I know plenty of people who had drifting stick issues and the rubber would come off and also people who never had any problems. As I said its a numbers game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shakka43

Just ordered one from Best Buy to shelve it for future usage.
I'm using my current one as a second PC controller and gave away two others I had to family members, having a backup set aside is not a bad idea considering how har Dualshock 3 became to find after a while.

CamHostage

Hmm, if it's purely the USB port pins getting cranked out, maybe try a replacement repair? $8 kit, t looks to be a solder-free operation, the power is carried over a ribbon cable and the board is held with screws, so I think it's pretty doable for even those casual about a teardown.

Top Bottom