• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dude from Gamestop told me I didn't need to do a system transfer for my new 3DS XL.

Afrocious

I just bought a new New 3DS XL. I traded in my 3ds xl toward it. The problem I'm running into now is that I can't link my NNID to my New 3DS XL because it's still attached to my former 3DS XL.

The worst part is that I told the guy at Gamestop if I needed to do it and he didn't get what I was talking about. He said I'd just need the memory card from the old 3DS XL and transfer it that way.

So now I'm sitting here with a New 3DS XL I can't link my NNID to, and the memory card from my old 3DS XL.

This sucks. I dunno what I should do. I'm thinking I might head back to the Gamestop tomorrow to see if we can turn it on and get this transfer going. I dunno if there's anything else I can do.

Update:

Called Gamestop this morning. The dude didn't answer my question if he was the same guy who did the transaction yesterday, but he did tell me they reformat every used system they receive. I asked if he was sure mine was reformatted, and he just said the same thing again. The dude was ineffectual, so I was fine with this. I think, for the first time, I'm going to do one of those customer surveys.

I called Nintendo's customer support. Got a cool dude named Bruno to help me out. I told him what I wanted and he hooked me up. At the most, I'll have to wait three days for the successful transfer. I don't mind - I can just play MH single player until then :).

I knew I shouldn't have messed with Gamestop but eh.

2ND UPDATE:

GOT MY NNID TRANSFERRED SUCCESSFULLY YAYYY

ZeroX03

Banned
Call Gamestop, tell them not to erase it if they haven't already and get that serial number.

If going back in to transfer fails you can call Nintendo, give them the old 3DS serial, explain what happened and ask them to transfer it to the new system.

And don't trust Gamestop employees.

Afrocious

Call Gamestop, tell them not to erase it if they haven't already and get that serial number.

If going back in to transfer fails you can call Nintendo, give them the old 3DS serial, explain what happened and ask them to transfer it to the new system.

Will do. Thanks.

But can they erase anything since I have the old system's memory card?

NeOak

Your mistake was not checking Nintendo website.

You're going to have to either

a) go to Gamestop and transfer off your old 3DS
b) get the serial as stated above and call Nintendo
c) Take the L and learn your lesson about listening to Gamestop employees without fact checking.

Will do. Thanks.

Yes, they can wipe the NAND without the memory card.

ZeroX03

Banned
Will do. Thanks.

Yes your account details are still on there. The SD card is just holding downloaded game data, the licenses are on the system. The SD card data won't work without the right system, but the system doesn't need the SD card.

Afrocious

Yeah, the dude looked at me like I was crazy when I mentioned system transferring to him. I shouldn't have gone along with it or at least pulled up some info on my phone.

GameStop employees tend to not know shit besides the forced spiel about their rewards card. Next time don't listen to them.

In their defense, theres a lot of shit to know about videogames so I can't completely blame them.

fernoca

Yeah...call Gamestop first and if anything, call Nintendo. Heck, have them call Nintendo from the store in case they already formatted it.

LiK

wow, that employee is an idiot. even the transfer system info was on GameStop's site, iirc.

Wow that sucks, its basically plasterd on Nintendo website when it comes to a new 3ds. Hopefully they were lazy and not erased.

molnizzle

In their defense, theres a lot of shit to know about videogames so I can't completely blame them.

Double in their defense, the entire concept of "system transfer" sounds absolutely ridiculous if you're not familiar with Nintendo. Mostly because it is absolutely ridiculous...

Afrocious

I have the serial number at the very least, but Nintendo's phone support is closed for the day since it's 11:49 EST where I'm located.

I just wanted to play Monster Hunter on a non-ruined screen too.

Wow that sucks, its basically plasterd on Nintendo website when it comes to a new 3ds. Hopefully they were lazy and not erased.

For what it's worth, the 3DS I traded in was dead from being left on for a few days and it was near the end of day. I'll call the Gamestop tomorrow morning, explain the situation, and go from there.

Double in their defense, the entire concept of "system transfer" sounds absolutely ridiculous if you're not familiar with Nintendo. Mostly because it is absolutely ridiculous...

If Sony, Microsoft, Steam, Apple and I'm guessing Android can do it you'd kind of expect Nintendo to be capable as well.
So it is a very easy mistake to make.

grimmiq

For what it's worth, the 3DS I traded in was dead from being left on for a few days and it was near the end of day. I'll call the Gamestop tomorrow morning, explain the situation, and go from there.

As a New 3DS owner, leaving it on can kill it? Mine hasn't been powered off in the 3 weeks I've had it..just closed it and plugged in the charger.

Mediking

As a New 3DS owner, leaving it on can kill it? Mine hasn't been powered off in the 3 weeks I've had it..just closed it and plugged in the charger.

Yeah, no.... that's not a good idea.... You gotta turn it off. Like actually turn it off. The Vita is better at handling that kinda thing but I wouldn't even risk it with my Vita.

grimmiq

Ahh ok, yeah mine hasn't powered off by itself from low battery yet. Will turn it off from now on when not in use, cheers for the advice.

When I bought The Witcher 3 last year, the dude (who was the fucking manager) was pushing his 2$ insurance hard by telling me that if, for some reason, the game "broke", I would need a new copy to play on my PS4 because the PS4 needs to be online to play games.

Even in his own logic, it doesn't make any fucking sense.

NeOak

I've kept mine 24/7 on standby with the AC adapter plugged in.

Works fine.

I do play it once in a while, so it's more of keeping it topped.

Yeah, no.... that's not a good idea.... You gotta turn it off. Like actually turn it off. The Vita is better at handling that kinda thing but I wouldn't even risk it with my Vita.

Not really. It is made to be left on standby for Streetpass/Spotpass.

c) Take the L and learn your lesson about listening to Gamestop employees without fact checking.

Never trust the word of employees at the store.

To OP's defense, you would think employees at a fucking VIDEO GAME store would know a thing or two about, you know... VIDEO GAMES.

Sorry to hear about your experience, OP. Call first thing in the morning and pray to the gods they haven't deleted the data on your old 3DS.

I don't say this often, but... Good luck.

iboshow

Banned
To OP's defense, you would think employees at a fucking VIDEO GAME store would know a thing or two about, you know... VIDEO GAMES.

Sorry to hear about your experience, OP. Call first thing in the morning and pray to the gods they haven't deleted the data on your old 3DS.

I don't say this often, but... Good luck.

The 3DS is not a video game :p

Vitacat

OP, good luck to you.

NEVER ever trust a Gamestop employee for critical info. Many are ignorant and/or simply do not care. Not all -- I know there are some good people who work there -- but yeah. Nintendo also bears some guilt by making the NNID transfer process completely ridiculous and anti-consumer.

If worst comes to worst, and Gamestop has already wiped your old 3DS and/or refuses to help you, then call Nintendo and explain what happened. Guarantee you're not the first person that got screwed this way by some retail drone who couldn't be bothered to admit they didn't know what they were talking about. There may be a way Nintendo can help you get your NNID on your new one.

And oh yeah -- you're probably gonna need to buy a special screwdriver to get at the micro sd slot. Nintendo spared no stupidity in hassling the customer.

SoulUnison

Banned

I've had a 3DS since launch day and a 3DS XL since Pokemon X/Y and they've never been powered down except for system updates. They just get put in Sleep Mode and set in their cradles.

They both still have 4-5 hours of battery life to them.

Sorry that happened, unfortunately at GS there are some misinformed workers. I'd call Nintendo, the store should have wiped the 3DS when you traded in, but the employee doesn't sound thorough so there might be a chance.

Mephala

The issue is the customer came in and already told him what needed to be done. If he doubted he should have checked rather than talk out of his ass with assumptions. Everyone makes mistakes but it irritates me when it could have been avoided.

ZeroX03

Banned
It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't know how to properly wipe a system, even if there are procedures in place. It's pretty common to buy a second hand game cart from Gamestop/EB and still have save data on it.

Vitacat

It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't know how to properly wipe a system, even if there are procedures in place. It's pretty common to buy a second hand game cart from Gamestop/EB and still have save data on it.

I don't think I've ever bought a used 3DS cart from Gamestop that didn't have save data on it. :p

You made two huge mistakes.

First, you listened to a GameStop employee.

Second, you traded your system there instead of your mom and pop store. Outside of certain promotions, GameStop gives the lowest values for everything.

Oh well, I still hope you can get your stuff back.

Vitacat

Should I pick up a 3ds? Haven't had a Nintendo handheld device since GB sp

Absolutely. I own just about every console and handheld, and 3DS is my favorite handheld by far (yes, I still love my Vita too, but 3DS has the better library).

I highly recommend a New 3DS XL. The red one is gorgeous IMO. Black is also very nice, but red is nicer IMO. Or, go for a special edition if you prefer.

Between the DS and 3DS libraries you'll have an endless well of amazing games to enjoy.

Absolutely. I own just about every console and handheld, and 3DS is my favorite handheld by far (yes, I still love my Vita too, but 3DS has the better library).

I highly recommend a New 3DS XL. The red one is gorgeous IMO. Black is also very nice, but red is nicer IMO.

Between the DS and 3DS libraries you'll have an endless well of amazing games to enjoy.

Good, recommend any games?

Vitacat

Good, recommend any games?

Where to even begin... Search for 3DS threads, I'm sure there are many "best games" lists.

Aside from the usual Marios and Zeldas (all good to great) you have Phoenix Wrights, Professor Laytons, Monster Hunters, Shin Megami Tenseis and Etrian Oddysseys. And lots more.

3DShovel

Always remember that the fine people who work at GameStop are not necessarily video game gurus. Most of the time they're just people who like games and think it'd be cool to work in a games store. A lot of younger folk in there as well, most with not too great a grasp on how technology works.

So yeah, keep that in mind. Hope the situation gets sorted out though, my heart would fall out if something like that every happened to me. Best of luck!

Dominator

Thats because nobody deletes save files from the games.

However, while its possible they didn't properly erase everything off the system, at the store I work at we wipe the system as soon as the transaction is complete.

OP, sad to say it, but your stuff is most likely gone. Sorry :(

Not all GameStop employees know nothing I promise.

Vitacat

Welcome to Nintendo account system, enjoy your stay:/

Yep, Nintendo is HORRIBLE when it comes to their account system. I don't think there has ever been a more anti-consumer system by any company. It's just embarrassingly bad. But the games are so good we put up with it.

Atomski

Man do some research next time..

I remember I did some gamestop deal to get a new 3dsxl and they let me do a system transfer and bring back the old 3ds to finalize the trade in.

Afrocious

Called Gamestop. The dude didn't answer my question if he was the same guy who did the transaction yesterday, but he did tell me they reformat every used system they receive. I asked if he was sure mine was reformatted, and he just said the same thing again. The dude was ineffectual, so I was fine with this. I think, for the first time, I'm going to do one of those customer surveys.

I called Nintendo's customer support. Got a cool dude named Bruno to help me out. I told him what I wanted and he hooked me up. At the most, I'll have to wait three days for the successful transfer. I don't mind - I can just play MH single player until then :).

Called Gamestop. The dude didn't answer my question if he was the same guy who did the transaction yesterday, but he did tell me they reformat every used system they receive. I asked if he was sure mine was reformatted, and he just said the same thing again. The dude was ineffectual, so I was fine with this. I think, for the first time, I'm going to do one of those customer surveys.

It happened to me as well. But the problem was nintendos servers were down due to maintenance. Couldnt do the transfer on the store. What I did get back though was NNID and my purchases. The streetpass games werent there and the pieces of puzzles I had. Had to start all over again on that. Also pokemon transfer where there since thats synced to your account servers

Your mistake was not checking Nintendo website.

You're going to have to either

a) go to Gamestop and transfer off your old 3DS
b) get the serial as stated above and call Nintendo

Yes, they can wipe the NAND without the memory card.

TBH the mistake was Nintendo making this process so complicated in the first place. I mean you can backup saves and your account on anything BUT nintendo devices.

Top Bottom