• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dude from Gamestop told me I didn't need to do a system transfer for my new 3DS XL.

fernoca

I called Nintendo's customer support. Got a cool dude named Bruno to help me out. I told him what I wanted and he hooked me up. At the most, I'll have to wait three days for the successful transfer. I don't mind - I can just play MH single player until then :).
Be on the lookout for the email. They say up to 3 business days, but it is sometimes under 15 minutes.

Once the email arrives, you just login and that's it.

TBH the mistake was Nintendo making this process so complicated in the first place. I mean you can backup saves and your account on anything BUT nintendo devices.
The 3DS and part of the Wii U still has traces of their old ways. So one can only hope that things are better on the NX.

At least their apps so far are an improvement in that saved data is stored server side. So you just login and continue playing.

Though backingup data on their devices was easy at first. In that on Wii and 3DS it was a matter of just copy pasting content across SD cards. And Wii U was the only system that allowed for external drives at launch. But with the move to cloud saves, again...one can hope things improve with NX.

DirtyLarry

I actually just traded in my New 3DS on Sunday towards a One S and the first thing the kid asked me is if I needed to do a system transfer to any other 3DS. So he actually knew what was up.
Just sharing because not all GS employees are clueless, just most of them.

Afrocious

I actually just traded in my New 3DS on Sunday towards a One S and the first thing the kid asked me is if I needed to do a system transfer to any other 3DS. So he actually knew what was up.
Just sharing because not all GS employees are clueless, just most of them.

That's what's up man. I'm willing to chalk up my experience to bad luck. I can count the number of GS employees I've met who are in the know with one hand, but they do exist.

As someone who worked there for four years, it's true that the amount of people who actually know their shit are outnumbered far and away by the people that get hired on thanks to their sales skills, even if they lacked knowledge of the products, or honestly if the store just needed bodies. I hated being the prick that'd listen to a co-worker give a customer incorrect info and have to go "Aaaactually..."

Seik

Banned
And don't trust Gamestop employees.

This.

I know it's sad, that people working there aren't trustable, but that's true, most of these guys don't know jack.

Some of them even take shitty internet rumors and tell these to customer as if it was a fact, saw this happen a couple of times.

Heidern98

When I got the New 3DS I used the process described on this site. It worked great and saved a lot of time. Check it out if you can get access to your old system for a bit.

Yeah, I was home in Canada back in February and thought about getting a New 3DS and the guy at EB Games gave me some bullshit about not being able to do a system-to-system transfer and having to call Nintendo.

The fuck was he on about?

Glad you were able to find a solution OP! It is an unfortunate truth that many retail employees don't get the training required to be able to help people properly. I say this as someone who worked in retail for almost 10 years, we just never got the tools we needed. It's pretty much always worth it to do your own research and go from there.

This.

I know it's sad, that people working there aren't trustable, but that's true, most of these guys don't know jack.

Some of them even take shitty internet rumors and tell these to customer as if it was a fact, saw this happen a couple of times.

The only people I have no sympathy for in retail are those who don't know things, but aren't willing to admit it. If I didn't know something that a customer asked me, I would at least be upfront and say I'd be happy to help them look it up or figure it out. That being said, if you haven't worked retail before I would implore you to do so. It will certainly change your views on what a terrible employee is.

Nightbird

Well, he's not entirely wrong.

You don't need a system transfer, but the only other way is calling Nintendo and ask them to do that for you.

kami_sama

I remember whan I bought my n3ds.
Had to go to my home and do the transfer there, after I which I gave the console to the clerk.
They fucked up. Sad they lie, and sad Nintendo hasn't implemented a real account system.

Wait, so you CAN do a transfer from your old system to the new one? Without having to call Nintendo?

From an OG 3DS or an XL to the "new" 3DS, you can perform a transfer using either a computer or Wifi. The process takes a bit, but it moves your titles, saves, and account over to the new console. Otherwise, Nintendo reps are the only people who can migrate your account from one system to another.

molnizzle

Wait, so you CAN do a transfer from your old system to the new one? Without having to call Nintendo?

As long as you're still in physical possession of both systems, sure. If the old one is already gone then you need to call.

Unless you're going from a New 3DS to an old 3DS or 2DS. You gotta call for that. They'll do it though, I went from a New 3DS to a $50 2DS.

LogN

To be honest, and yes it sucks, but this is something you should've researched on your own. Even though GameStop is a games retailer, doesn't mean they know EVERYTHING about certain processes.

Look at gaming in whole, imagine having to know ALL of it, some of us do as a hobby, but the average person.. that's a lot to take in. Even for a "gamer," knowing all of it is a bit much to ask.

People like to rag on GameStop a lot, but the reality is, it's a retailer. Most of the staff is knowledgeable on what they sell, but certain things fall through the cracks; especially with Nintendo product, which is by far the most aggravating stuff to deal with.

Tranquilo

Banned
This is a little off-topic but this is also the only recent thread I could find focused on GameStop specifically. Came to make a thread about this, but I didn't know junior members couldn't make threads. One of y'all can make the thread if you'd like, or disregard if you don't think it's worthy. Could be an interesting conversation:

"GameStop Acquires 507 AT&T Stores in Diversification Plan"
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...t-t-wireless-stores-in-diversification-effort
GameStop Corp. acquired 507 AT&T wireless stores as part of a drive to diversify and reduce its dependence on sales of video games.
GameStop, the largest independent retailer of video games, has been trying to add new businesses as more purchases of video games take place online. The company’s wireless retailing is on pace to produce $1 billion in annualized sales this year and profit of $85 million to $100 million, Bartel said.
More info in the link. Pretty interesting direction considering the recent initiation of Game Trust.

Top Bottom