• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Due to demand, Nintendo used unusual and costly air freight to ship Switches faster

Thoraxes

They're making a killing on these things if accurate, since there's no way Nintendo would sell the Switch at a loss.

edit: I actually had entirely forgotten the Wii U was sold at a loss. Either way, if they are able to take a momentary $45 hit, they must be making a tidy profit out of this one-time air freight.

They need the early proliferation. Think of it more an investment for the future in a sort of critical time.

Skux

Can't believe Nintendo hasn't hired you yet. You sound like a master of logistics.

It's simple economies of scale. Greater production = buying and manufacturing and shipping in bulk = lower cost per unit. Their accountants must be shaking their head at these unnecessary costs.

If I'm the first person to think of this then yeah, maybe they should hire me.

It's simple economies of scale. Greater production = buying and manufacturing and shipping in bulk = lower cost per unit. Their accountants must be shaking their head at these unnecessary costs.

So either do it and complain about "unnecessary costs" or not do it and complain about "artificial scarcity." Also both your posts are bullshit.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Read the title

Read the story

Ceck if the words you're about to post have anything to do with it

Not even Nintendo expected this system to take off.

They did, but they were completely caught off guard at the magnitude at which it took off.

I'm honestly surprised myself; March isn't exactly the time for people to drop hundreds of dollars into a shiny new tech toy, Zelda is really far from the "Wii Sports" type of game that has universal appeal, and at launch there wasn't anything other than 1-2-Switch (which afaik didn't set the world on fire). But they caught lightning in a bottle once again, and it looks like they're taking every measure possible to not leave money on the table. The last restock lasted several hours and it seems like they injected an enormous stock.

I'm shocked your phone isn't ringing off the hook from the major consumer electronics manufacturers! Your perfect 20/20 hindsight would be a real asset for those companies!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
The narrative has since mutated to "why can't they be like Apple?!1"

Not many companies has mastered economies of scale, logistics, and just in time manufacturing process the same way Apple has done, and even they have supply problems if a product gets too popular. Also, they didn't come off their worst selling hardware ever.

It's really apples and oranges (pun kind of intended), but it should be flattering people are even putting Nintendo anywhere near close to the best logistics company in the world.

They did, but they were completely caught off guard at the magnitude at which it took off.

I'm honestly surprised myself; March isn't exactly the time for people to drop hundreds of dollars into a shiny new tech toy, Zelda is really far from the "Wii Sports" type of game that has universal appeal, and at launch there wasn't anything other than 1-2-Switch (which afaik didn't set the world on fire). But they caught lightning in a bottle once again, and it looks like they're taking every measure possible to not leave money on the table. The last restock lasted several hours and it seems like they injected an enormous stock.

I bet even now, Nintendo is probably taken aback at Mario Kart 8 sales an it's halo effect on Zelda and Switch sales. They probably planned Mario Kart 8 to be a stopgap measure before Splatoon 2 came out, not to be another cultural phenom in its own right.

Crayolan

link this topic anytime someone mentions "artificial scarcity"

Nintendo is obviously using air freight in order throw people off the trail of them creating an artificial scarcity. Wake up, sheeple!

Edit: ok, being serious it's pretty funny that they felt the need to do this at all. Expecting joke images about a Nintendo airdrop or something.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Lol wait wait

here me out okay

this is a crazy thought but maybe just maybe they didn't think the switch would do so well right off the bat and this is them sacrificing some profit in order to keep momentum going on their newly released hardware?

Tripon

Note that they stopped in April.

Nintendo won't be as agile to respond to shortages until they will do air freight again.

Nanashrew

Banned

You have to also keep in mind they're coming off the Wii U and Nintendo even lowered their forecasting and how many they would originally ship out at launch. It exceeded their expectations. I have no doubt plenty are coming by ship, the air travel was likely a single time thing so they could quickly meet additional demand in March.

If anything, it's a good sign that the narrative has moved from "let's wait a year to see if this launch is actually successful!" to "they should have manufactured 5 million units for launch!" We've advanced from denial to anger. Can't wait for the bargaining phase.

lupinko

Companies like Nintendo also get big discounts for shipping high volume shipments, even for air. So don't cry for them just yet folks.

The Zelda unexpected Universal acclaim probably helped a lot. And of course the hybrid nature being another factor

I doubt many expected it to hold a 98 for so long (think it dropped to 97 weeks later).

I admit, I'm surprise too and I thought the Switch would succeed, just not this fast

Using that Fire Emblem heroes money/s
well actually, maybe

You have a point, that money has to come from somewhere but I wonder if selling them on time is enough of a trade off.

If they are going to push had all year to reach 10 million shipped. This can't be a 1 time thing. I would like to see if this continues for the next few months.

airplane-departing.jpeg

rockyt

Companies like Nintendo also get big discounts for shipping high volume shipments, even for air. So don't cry for them just yet folks.

They already mentioned they losing roughly 45 dollars per unit shipping them through air. Sure their are discount in shipping in bulk but people tend to under estimates the price if shipping in bulk. It still costs lot of money.

Usually the discount of shipping in bulk is in pennies to 10cents or 20cent per unit for high volume. The main cost will be manufacturing.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
They're making a killing on these things if accurate, since there's no way Nintendo would sell the Switch at a loss.

edit: I actually had entirely forgotten the Wii U was sold at a loss. Either way, if they are able to take a momentary $45 hit, they must be making a tidy profit out of this one-time air freight.

That is not how it works

They could just make more of them instead of it costing more to ship fewer out faster.

Just make more. It's really not that simple when a company is making a product. There will be one component (the screen, the chips) that is a gating item that will dictate how many of that product can be made within a certain time frame.

Cerium

Just make more. It's really not that simple when a company is making a product. There will be one component (the screen, the chips) that is a gating item that will dictate how many of that product can be made within a certain time frame.

I honestly think that there will be shortages throughout 2017. There's going to be Switch related violence on Black Friday.

rockyt

They could just make more of them instead of it costing more to ship fewer out faster.

All the different manufacturer and 3rd party have to increase production and hire more people. Logistic and contracts need to be remade and deals redo. Its not that simple. Demand outdid initial forecast. They did really good at incressing shipment and using air to meet demands is costly.

oti

Banned

I don't believe they make a whopping x>$45 profit with every unit sold. This is more about meeting demand on short notice, which is something no company in the world wants to do because it is so costly. It just shows that Nintendo, which is a very cost sensitive company, is willing to be flexible for once and meet some of the demand. Even with the additional cost that that brings.

Speely

Banned

While this is true for most high-volume companies, something like this still costs more than their bottom line shipping option, which also enjoys big discounts. For a conservative company like Nintendo, anything above that bottom line is noteworthy and says something about their faith in this platform, imo, especially coming off the Wii U.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Nintendo is creating artificial scarcity by making only 1 plane trip instead of multiple plane trips (am i doing this right?)

liquidtmd

Banned
if they're not making at least $45 per unit then they are idiots.

Considering a buyer is then locked into their ecosystem of games and online, the actual profit per physical hardware unit is never actually that important (although nice to have certainly and shouldn't be taking a loss)

$45 per unit is healthy.

oti

Banned

Don't cry for any company ever, unless you're a shareholder or work for that company.

45$ seems expensive for a small and light package.

I think that number somebody pulled out their ass "could have cost". Somebody could have just weighed a switch and then looked on the Fedex website for a shipping cost from China to the US and saw $45 as the price.
I've sent bigger items on shipment by air (Ten years ago mind you.) China to US and airfreight was only $10 a unit at the time.

if they're not making at least $45 per unit then they are idiots.

Last gen, when Microsoft first sold the 360, not only were they not making $45, they were selling each unit at a significant (>$100) loss.

Would you say they were idiots as well.

Nanashrew

Banned
Nintendo doesn't really ship Amiibo by air despite how light they may be. All boats. Never forget the great Amiibo shortage caused by the union strike.

Try doing overnight air shipping across the world, be prepared to cry at how expensive even a tiny package will cost.

Again, a personal single package does not = a commercial pallet of products at business rates. Nintendo did not even overnight express these, they could have just used a 5 day economy service because they only needed to be faster that the 6 weeks it would have taken a boat.

rockyt

I think that number somebody pulled out their ass "could have cost". Somebody could have just weighed a switch and then looked on the Fedex website for a shipping cost from China to the US and saw $45 as the price.
I've sent bigger items on shipment by air (Ten years ago mind you.) China to US and airfreight was only $10 a unit at the time.

Last i check was lat year where it was 5 dollars almost 6 dollars per kilo to send or receive from china and that was not expedited or speedy.

Top Bottom