• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duke Nukem Forever: May 3 in NA, May 6 elsewhere [Trailer Added]

Solo

Really hope there is a post-mortem for this with some 3DR peeps. Id love to know how much of their game is actually in Gearbox's DNF.

Hope even more that now that DNF is finally seeing the light of day that maybe we'll finally get a proper Blood sequel.

BowieZ

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:
Funny, 3D realms never ending quest for the ultimate cutting edge technology to apply to DNF, it's what almost made we never see the game.

And now people are bitching because dosn't have awesome graphics.
Yeah, ironic.

Makes one appreciate the difficult balancing act game developers must pursue.

ezekial45

Banned
Solo said:
Really hope there is a pot-mortem for this with some 3DR peeps. Id love to know how much of their game is actually in Gearbox's DNF.

Hope even more that now that DNF is finally seeing the light of day that maybe we'll finally get a proper Blood sequel.

From what Gearbox said, the game was done. It could be played from start to finish. They're just polishing it and ironing out bugs.

Xater

ezekial45 said:
From what Gearbox said, the game was done. It could be played from start to finish. They're just polishing it and ironing out bugs.

I also think Gearbox is probably responsible for the console ports.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
ram said:
yeah - and after the fast of the land, nobody need the prodigy anymore (because they are crap now) - and especially not their crappy music in duke nukem.

Tbh I've never really understood why Prodigy was supposed to be so good, I've always found their music to be far too noisy for me. Which is kinda ironic, as I can take extreme metal, dark ambient, industrial and such just fine.

fushi

Love everything except the saturated/contrast heavy look plaguing most modern console games. From the trailer this game looks like one of the worst offenders, sadly.

Tacitus_

Kaijima said:
I realize hardcore PC wanks are going to pick apart any game that dares to come out in 2011 and isn't running on crysis tech or some shit.

Please don't mistake graphic whores for PC gamers.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Kaijima said:
I realize hardcore PC wanks are going to pick apart any game that dares to come out in 2011 and isn't running on crysis tech or some shit.
Hardcore PC wanks have been waiting for this game forever, I don't think they are the ones bitching about the graphics.

Zomba13

Shiggy said:
Great ;D
Does he still play other games or will he return to gaming only for DKF?
Still plays other games. Mostly WoW nowadays but does play plenty of other games on the PC, 360 and Wii.

KareBear

Xater said:
I also think Gearbox is probably responsible for the console ports.

There are three companys working on it Gearbox,Triptych(founded by former 3dr guys who kept working on the game for free) and piranha.Its Triptych that finished the pc version.

Zomba13

demonicmurry said:
I would it if one of the driving sections is a mini-Duke after he was shrinkray-ed and he is driving an RC car.
He is, in the trailer at 1:56. After the All out of gum part. Or at least it looks like Duke is shrunk and in an RC car.

charsace

Solo said:
Some of the bitching is hilarious, because its so misguided. Mostly its people whining about the graphics. Well, Duke was never a technical marvel. Duke3D was great because of three elements - juvenile humor, unique and awesome weaponry, and interactivity out the ass with respect to the enviroments - and guess what? Judging by the trailer, DNF will deliver on all three in spades.

Technically there was a fourth pillar, which was superb level design, but that can't be judged one way or the other from a trailer.
Duke had great level designs and gameplay too.

Time for Lo Wang to make his return!

eshwaaz

Duke Nukem 3D is one of my all-time favorites (liked it far more than Doom back in the day), but this trailer does very little for me. It's not about the graphics - the game just doesn't look particularly fun or satisfying to me. Perhaps the trailer is just a poor indication of the full game, but it doesn't do a good job of showcasing exciting moments.

Clearly many here disagree, but it left me pretty flat.

Decado

The disappointing lack of model/skin damage (seriously, WTF, I'm pretty sure old builds had this feature) relegates this one to bargin status.

I want to play it...but the actually shooting part looks kinda weak (pretty important, IMO).

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Decado said:
The disappointing lack of model/skin damage (seriously, WTF, I'm pretty sure old builds had this feature) relegates this one to bargin status.

I want to play it...but the actually shooting part looks kinda weak (pretty important, IMO).
They should probably delay the game so they can put a little more polish into it.

Spoo

Decado said:

For the purpose of the trailer you're not seeing the true gore on show in DNF -- I'm sure if the ESRB won't let them have two fucks, they're not going to let you see Duke dismember a pig cop like he does in the Jace Hall footage released a while back.

Solo said:
Some of the bitching is hilarious, because its so misguided. Mostly its people whining about the graphics. Well, Duke was never a technical marvel. Duke3D was great because of three elements - juvenile humor, unique and awesome weaponry, and interactivity out the ass with respect to the enviroments - and guess what? Judging by the trailer, DNF will deliver on all three in spades.

Technically there was a fourth pillar, which was superb level design, but that can't be judged one way or the other from a trailer.
Actually, Duke3D was pretty marvelous techwise at the time of release. The interactivity did set it apart, but there's little of that in the trailer, plus it became somewhat standart ever since 1996 till now.

Kuran

Banned
Hm. Is there a reason why Jace Hall is never discussed on NeoGAF? Everything I've seen from his show has been of an absurdly high quality. It's really entertaining stuff!

He deserves more viewers.

All episodes can be found on Youtube I think...

arts&crafts said:
hahaha I love the esrb at the start of the trailer.

Rated Mature for:
- Blood and Gore
- Intense Violence
- Strong Language
- Mature Humor
- Nudity
- Strong Sexual Content
- Drug and Alcohol Use

Lets see if they can cram one more line in of suggestive content in the final release lol

Wasn't there one for lyrical content? I mean can't we get that in there!

Spoo said:
For the purpose of the trailer you're not seeing the true gore on show in DNF -- I'm sure if the ESRB won't let them have two fucks, they're not going to let you see Duke dismember a pig cop like he does in the Jace Hall footage released a while back.

Yeah, I noticed that most of the projectiles in the trailer (intentionally?) miss, probably for the sake of avoiding gibs for the ESRB.

KareBear said:

Before this goes any further, what is the Jace Hall show, and what the fuck is wrong with the hosts?

Zeliard

Solo said:

100% truth right here.

Solo said:
Really hope there is a post-mortem for this with some 3DR peeps. Id love to know how much of their game is actually in Gearbox's DNF.

Dude yes!

"I live... again!"

clip

DNF is completely immune to criticism. If you like games at all, you need to at least be able to appreciate its history and give it a shot.

Top Bottom